1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Would you ever buy an outfit for your bjd that costs more than the doll itself?

Oct 24, 2010

1. I personally wouldn't.
      Most of the outfits I find are far more than what I would even pay for myself...
      Some of these outfits are absolutely beautiful and I can tell that a lot of time was put into them, but I just can't bring myself to spend that much...

2. Absolutely not. For clothes, I draw the line at $20 per article of clothing so if its an outfit, it better be lower than 20 per article since I think hats and ties and etc. Should be lowert cost.

Basically, I'm a cheapo.

3. Is it 'right' to spend as much on an outfit as on a BJD?
      this depends on the person, for me it's not 'right'.

Would you be (or have you been) willing to spend as much on an outfit for your BJD as for the BJD itself? Why or why not?
      no, maybe someday her wardrobe will add up to be about the same as she costs but I would never spend that much money on one outfit. I just can't imagine spending that much on clothing, either for her or myself.

If your answer is no, where do you draw the line?
      I don't see myself spending more than $200 on any one outfit, maybe a bit more to account for shipping but definitely not much more.

4. Okay I would have said no but recently I purchased the Iplehouse Mari Hanbok set, wig and binyeo set for $329 which will go on my AOD Zi Yuan and I still haven't gotten shoes yet.

I bought Zi Yuan blank for $265 so she definitely cost less than the outfit.

5. It depends on the person. For me, it's somewhere in between since it depends on a lot of factors.

Maybe, it depends on the outfit that I taken liking too. Again, there are a lot of factors that I will take into consideration before buying a clothing that is equal or more than my doll's price. If it was a rococo, a renaissance or a Gothic dress/gown that i'm taking into consideration, then it would be really pricey since it uses a lot of cloth, laces, ribbons and other stuff. What more if the maker used high-end materials? So yeah, it depends.

6. I haven't even started buying doll clothes yet, my boy is in parts in a box, naked, hidden in my room away from my cat. I can see me paying a bit more for doll clothes than my own clothes though. I'm not really big on fashion and most of what I wear is jeans and band t-shirts I've owned for about five years.

I'm a bit odd I suppose, I don't like having things that are really expensive, I almost cried when I found out my mum paid £79 for a pair of boots for me, but my shoes were falling apart and the muscle in my foot was getting sore due to bad support. OnO

7. Considering the cost of most of my dolls (Majority of them are in the >$400 range) that would be a nice big H to the E to the LL no. XD Unless that thing was lined with gold and sewn with diamond thread, NO way.

Especially with my learning to sew, my doll clothing budget is shrinking in favor of that wonderful "they want HOW MUCH for that? Psh, I can make that for less" feeling.

Though there's one doll of mine I'll never be able to escape paying more for the clothes than the actual doll itself, and that's my doll that i got for the cost of shipping and nothing more XD For her, I don't mind at all, but for everyone else I just can't justify an outfit that expensive. I won't even spend that much on clothing for myself.

okudatakiko brings up a pretty good point about expensive designer clothes, and definitely those would be an exception if my dolls wore them. Personally, I don't have a doll with a taste for that kind of thing yet, but definitely it would bring that sort of thing into consideration no doubt.

I'm the kind of collector though that changes clothes often though, I'd feel pretty guilty taking off such an elaborate outfit for it to sit in a box for months. I think those designer / high fashion expensive outfits are much more for dolls that are show pieces that don't do much other than look awesome on a doll stand.

8. No I would never spend an arm and a leg for just an outfit, just because the doll itself cost an arm and a leg and if I don't spend $100 on my own clothes sure as heck won't spend it on a doll. The highest I would pay for anything dolly related is 50 bucks no exceptions.

9. OMG no....I'm not into clothes for me so sure getting doll outfits is fun, especially matching the right outfit with their personality, but I guess I'm just too frugal. I like to put things together instead of buying a complete outfit. I do like the expensive boots though!

10. As someone who used to spend thousands on purses and currently spends thousands per kimono ensemble (it doesn't have to be that way but unfortunately it's always the ones I want...though some people call it taste ~ohoho *brick'd*), I would have to say yes, but it'd better be hand made by the damn creator of the character himself and made of diamonds and gold or by Takashi Murakami before I'd consider it because my dolls aren't from the more affordable end of the spectrum. And I'd only do it for one of my dolls anyway because it doesn't suit the character of my other one.

11. [looks at my bunch of Volks limiteds] .... No. But I am willing to pay over 150 dollars for a full outfit if it looks good and is something I was looking for.

12. don't think so, i plan on making most clothes for my dolls, an outfit that's over a hundred is already too expensive in my opinion. i don't have anything in my closet that i've paid that much for and anything over that value i've bought with discount, i rather spend my money on another mold from my wish list.

13. Well, I have once bought an outfit full set at a Dolpa that was more than my rent while I was living in Japan, but it wasn't more than my doll. I have a friend that can sew pretty well, and I'm still learning to sew so I usually ask her if she could make the outfit in question and if she can then I don't buy it. I can't see spending that much money on an outfit, but I don't know if I would really spend so much money.

14. Is it 'right' to spend as much on an outfit as on a BJD?

Is it right to spend hundreds to thousands of dollars on a doll? As for what is right or moral, I don't think there is anything wrong with buying luxury items, and when it comes to luxury items, it does not matter if you spend more on one than another or more on one part of one. They are all things no one needs.

Would you be (or have you been) willing to spend as much on an outfit for your BJD as for the BJD itself? Why or why not?

I would have said no even a year ago, but now I probably would spend as much or more on outfits for some of my dolls. I have seen some BBBs that look cute in DH, and my medium priced hybrid keeps getting clothing that cost more than the last set. I can easily see myself commissioning an outfit that would cost more than the doll itself. Even if I bought a doll that cost me thousands, as long as I could afford it and really liked an outfit or needed one custom done, I would still not mind spending as much or more than I spent on the doll.

If your answer is no, where do you draw the line?
      My answer, of course, was not "no." However, like with the dolls themselves, I draw the line between the highest price I can and the lowest price I can't afford. If I want it and can afford it, I will probably buy it.

15. no...no way
      I mean..you could get one more doll instead of buying clothes for your doll :/
      besides I get tired of clothes very easily...so I constantly have to get new ones T_T
      even if I buy such expensive clothes, it would just go in the box after being worn 2~3 times

16. Well, if it was diamonds that would be by Damien Hirst, yes? I do have some plush dolls by Murakami from that Kaikai & Kiki anime that he did. Oops, off topic. As for clothes for my Dream of Doll? Well, I haven't seen outfits that would rival the cost of my doll (approximately $600 with face-up). I have however purchased HZ and Dollheart outfits in the $150 range and I suppose with stockings and shoes or boot that would put things over $200 but that's still a long way off. I can't see how there would be such an outfit unless it were by some designer who did some work for something like that. I wouldn't buy it, though. I can't really imagine something like that though. Well, now that I think of it, if Marina Bychkova made those custom shoes of hers in 1/3 SD doll size I can imagine paying $365 for the silver "Extravagance" shoes. That's in the ball park.....I'm kind of glad she makes them for her own dolls only. Whew.

17. I'm going to go with no, even though there really is no right or wrong answer to this question since it is just personal preference in the end. No matter how cool an outfit, it's hard to justify clothes as truly worth $500 or over unless furnished with real jewelry or something. I'm willing to spend to get neat things, but willing to do so within the bounds of reason!

18. LOL, I have actually purchased a doll to show off one of the dollheart outfits.
      Really wanted to have the outfit on display constantly, in a certain sunny place in my house and did not want to spoil any of my "good" dolls.

It was a event kit doll from Aidolls, so the doll cost less.

19. It depends on which doll I guess, if it was my cheaper girl then maybe if it was a really nice outfit, if it was my expensive lady then it would have to be something really amazing which is unlikely since she's an awkward size and there are hardly any clothes out there that even fit her :lol:. Half of my enjoyment of this hobby is making outfits for my guys though so I tend not to want to buy anything unless it's something I know I would never be able to make for the same price or it surpasses my own sewing abilities and is something I would never be able to achieve myself

20. xD No actually I was referring to Masashi Kishimoto. I didn't mention it but the doll I was talking about is a doll of Deidara who is a character created by Kishimoto. Don't get me wrong, I'm not a fan of Kishi or Naruto which is why I said I wouldn't spend that much unless Kishimoto made an outfit made of diamonds and gold for him. LOL But Takashi Murakami on the other hand...Deidara is a personification of Superflat and he always provides a good opportunity to talk (see: lecture) about it and it would be SO FREAKING COOL if Murakami could use him in some way and I wouldn't care what he made Deidara wear. (Hey a person can dream! xD)