1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Would you ever buy an outfit for your bjd that costs more than the doll itself?

Oct 24, 2010

1. I'm going to have to agree with louiselle, here. If you'd spend hundreds to thousands of dollars on a doll, it's a bit inconsistent to say it's "wrong" or "ridiculous" to pay that much for a doll's outfit, especially considering in the realm of fashion dolls, the norm tends to be that it's the ensemble that costs much more than the doll. While BJDs aren't generally considered to be fashion dolls, many people do consider clothing to be a major aspect of this hobby.

If you don't feel comfortable paying that much for an outfit, then I say that's fine, just like I'd say it's fine if you don't feel comfortable paying over a certain amount for a bjd. However, I'm not sure where the vehement opposal to the idea of an outfit costing more than the doll comes from. Especially since in the forums, the general consensus is to save up for your dream doll no matter how expensive it is (not actually an advice I'd give unconditionally); following that same logic, what's wrong with saving up however much you need to pay for your doll's dream outfit?

That being said, I have not purchased an outfit that costs more than the doll itself so far (My dolls cost $90-$400 right now), but if I find one that's so wonderfully made and in the exact style that I wanted, I can see myself going for it if I had the money and felt comfortable spending the money. That's not to say I'll spend $1,000 for an outfit, but I bear no judgement upon those that do. It's simply not how much I would spend, just like I have a soft limit on how much I spend for the dolls themselves.

2. No way. I don't think there's anything wrong with it, but personally I just couldn't spend that much money on an outfit.

3. I was just kidding around about Hirst. Though he would be the type to make a diamond encrusted outfit and sell it at auction for $20 million (well in a parallel universe perhaps). I could see Murakami making something though, since he's interested in a variety of subculture stuff. That would be pretty sweet. Dream on!

4. Is it 'right' to spend as much on an outfit as on a BJD?
      Hey, it's up to you. Luckily there aren't a ton of rules someone has made to rule every bit of our lives... There is no right or wrong for stuff like this.

Would you be (or have you been) willing to spend as much on an outfit for your BJD as for the BJD itself?
      I have spent more on outfits than SOME bjds, but so far, I don't think I've spent more for an outfit than I paid for the doll it is going on. But I wouldn't rule it out. There are dolls out there that are not so expensive. I don't see why the doll or the owner needs to limit what they can buy, if they don't want to!

If your answer is no, where do you draw the line?
      I don't like lines... If I want something and I can afford it, then maybe I'll buy it. If I think it's "too much"--that means I don't want it THAT much, or I'd just save up for it. Usually I don't HAVE to have the most expensive thing out there... (thank goodness)

5. xD Lmao I know. I meant to say that I wouldn't consider anything of Hirst's because I'd never spend that much money for something for a doll when it's not related to the character. I guess now that I think about it, I wouldn't even get it if it was like, $20. Shows what I would and would not spend on an outfit. xD I think my rule is for myself if: Don't buy a ton of things you don't need but you can splurge if it's the right thing.

Lol and no, Murakami wouldn't make anything like a doll outfit. He considers his Louis Vuitton line to be a failure because now many people in the west just think he's a purse designer. I think making doll clothes would be going backwards, and plus I can't think of what he'd say with an outfit as he's against the subcultures he talks about. But I'm no Murakami, he's the genius. xD

6. I feel that I rather use the money to buy another doll than an outfit. I think I never even looked at clothes that cost as much as my dolls. Over 300$ on one single outfit that would be crazy for me.
      The most expensive site for me is dollheart.
      In general my doll clothes is between 30-60$ thats reasonable for me :)

7. Absolutely not, I know that there are some beautiful outfits out there but at least for the time being I don't want to spend that much on dolly clothes when it could be going towards my trip to England next year. I may like BJDs but I like my long-distance guy more uwu

If I ever came into a large sum of money maybe I would, as I realize all the effort that goes into seeing garments when they're not mass-produced.

8. No, never. I am willing to spend a lot on doll clothes because I try to find the one perfect outfit for each of my dolls so they can cost me a bit. But definitely not more than the doll itself...

9. No. Absolutely not. I will never spend as much as my dolls cost on clothing.
      Clothes are beautiful, but in my opinion not worth as much as a doll.
      I will most likely spend a lot on clothing but never to the amount of a doll.

10. I could never buy an outfit that cost more then my doll. I don't even spend that much money on my clothes so there is no way I'd do it with my doll. I love her and everything but, there is a limit to how much I am willing to spend on her which is normally me looking around thrift stores and finding cool shirts or pants with patterns on them that I like and making her clothes. Call me cheap but I rather use the money that I could have spent on expensive clothes towards my next new doll.

11. I guess that if you put together a doll's whole wardrobe, you would find out that you've spent way more in clothes, eyes, wigs and shoes (BY FAR!) than you spent in the doll. I think this applies almost to all doll owners, so the point is if doing it in several outfits, or in the Big One XD.

12. I don't think I would ever buy an outfit that would cost the same as the doll it's for, but I have bought some outfits (Dollheart for example) that cost as much as a doll. I wouldn't buy a $500 outfit, but the last Dollheart outfit I bought cost me $109, and you can get a brand new Saintbloom doll for $61 more.

I agree with Nanyalin that over the course of assembling your doll's wardrobe and accessories, they will most likely amount to the same cost as your doll or higher. Even if you make your doll's clothes it still costs in materials and time.

13. well if your doll is 70 dollars than an outfit would be more expensive than the 300 dollar doll etc. But yes whatever floats your boat.

14. I don't think I would do that. If I had the money for an outfit that expensive I would probably just buy another doll or a few pairs of shoes.

15. No I haven't, not yet. I try to keep some sort of budget for her outfits. I like to buy different separates not from "Name brands" like Dollheart and Dollzone types then just make an outfit from there.:lol:

16. heck no 0.0 I'm cheap. I buy all my clothes at Goodwill, or sew them myself. I shall be sewing everything but pants for my dolls. Because pants are from the devil and I can't sew them to save me. We have so many tailers and seamstresses in the family that I'll never hurt for fabric scraps, ribbon or lace :3 I think the last 4 dresses I made for myself (and I wear full-length, full skirt, long sleeves) has amounted to, maybe, $30? and heck, if I go to Goodwill, buy a soft skirt for $3...that's like...4 BJD dresses and a jacket out of that.

17. Is it 'right' to spend as much on an outfit as on a BJD?
      There's no right or wrong to this, as it is your money

Would you be (or have you been) willing to spend as much on an outfit for your BJD as for the BJD itself?
      No, at that point, if I really -REALLY- liked the outfit, I would just make my own.

If your answer is no, where do you draw the line?
      Probably around 150$ Give or take.

18. The most expensive doll outfit I have is around $75. The average outfit being $55-ish. I'd love to have a yosd White Fer, I think those were still about $100-ish second hand now. Since I only have yosd ( 2 @ $450 and 1 @ $250 ) I would have to say, depending on the outfit, yes, I would spend as much on an outfit I had to have for them.

19. Whatever floats your boat, but me personally I don't think I'd even spend 100 on one of my single outfits to wear. LOL ;)

20. I don't say I would spend 1000 dollar on an outfit but I own a hujoo they are very cheap like 32 euro and I do buy her clothes who cost more than her without hesitating ^^