1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Would you ever Face Up a Limited Edition Doll?

Jun 19, 2016

1. well admittedly i'd think it would a bit of shame to wipe a limited face up and i probably wouldn't unless i hated the face up but ultimately it's up to the owner and if a custom face up makes you enjoy your doll more then the default then i say go for it

2. i would, because most likely i bought the doll for the sculpt and might have my own vision for the characters faceup. if there are options to buy them blank, i probably would do that over paying for the LE faceup anyway!

3. Of course! I feel like customization is at the very heart of this hobby! Like hoothoo I'd probably buy future limited edition dolls blank.

4. Sure! Just because I like a limited edition sculpt doesn't mean I like the default face-up.

5. I have a pair of ramcube tiger twin les that I had face upped. They came to me blank though so it didn't really faze me. My Ringdoll Andrew fullset on the other hand well he's not getting a new face up until WELL after he needs it. I just don't like the idea of having the old one removed for a couple reasons. One, it's part of his full set which leads to two) it feels wrong since its part of the artist picture as a whole. I feel it's up to each person though, enjoy the hobby as you see fit.

6. Definitely. It's your doll. You are the only one that has to be happy with it.

7. I buy blank heads, limited or not, so yes, I will do a face- up.

8. Yes! I have a few limited edition dolls. I like doing their face-ups so I just purchase them without the face-up.

9. I'm kind of stuck on this right now, actually. Normally I wouldn't have any trouble with wiping a company faceup and doing one that better suits your character, even if the faceup is limited. But I have a KDF Yul right now with the faceup from the Moonlit Song limited release, and, though I originally planned to wipe it and get a faceup that better fits my character, I've now really fallen in love it with and don't want to get rid of it... It's a conundrum for sure! (I'm actually hoping [maybe pointlessly] to find another WS elf Yul that I can get a faceup like I want, so I can keep the Moonlit Song one as well. It's just so gorgeous! *_*)

10. Why not? It's your doll afterall and it's up to you what you want to do with it. Personally I'd think twice before totally wiping a limited edition faceup since I am also paying for the faceup, so I would kind of find it a waste to wipe it unless I got the LE doll blank to do a custom faceup on. My Switch boy came with default faceup but because Switch didn't accept custom requests I had to add in a scar on my own simply because the character he is has a scar. (It was reaaaally nerve-wrecking because I was afraid of ruining the original faceup so I only had one chance to get the scar right). Some people might balk at that because it might "hurt" the value of the doll or something, but he's here to stay and I love him even more for all he is, scar and all, because he's now a little more "my" doll than just another Waseon out there (if that makes any sense).:?

11. I mean? To me, it would depend on the head. If I liked the faceup, obviously I'd keep it. But I think there's nothing wrong with wiping it if I don't like it, or if it's damaged or something.

12. The general consensus in threads like this is usually "if you own it, it's yours. Do what you want." :) Personally, I would if the original was damaged or if I had a very specific vision for the doll and the limited edition was the only way to own it.

That said, if I/you later decided to sell it, we can't be surprised if the doll loses value because of it. So if you're counting on a doll holding it's value you probably shouldn't - but at the same time you really shouldn't count on that regardless, so if that's your deciding factor that's worth reconsidering on its own!

13. LE or not, I always buy my dolls blank. I like to do my own face ups. I play with my dolls a lot, so like to be able to redo the face ups when they get damaged.
      If I buy a doll second hand, Its usually either to shell an OC, which i will need to wipe the face for, or because I love the faceup that comes on the doll, in which case, the doll tends to be handled way less than if I had done the face myself.
      Weather or not I remove a face never has anything to do with how limited a doll is. The beauty of these dolls is how customizable they are. Its almost impossible to find two dolls alike unless they are full sets with original faceups.

14. I personally wouldn't do it. However, it's all up to the owner. You can do whatever you wish with your doll. That's the great thing about bjd's! There is so many options to really make it feel like your own. :D

15. Absolutely! My DD Mashiro has a custom face-up, and my DD Sheryl and ID72 Zak will be getting customs as well.

16. Not only will I faceup a limited edition doll, but I will also mod it. I own an LLT Neil (thanks to a nice person on the Marketplace) to which I added an open mouth mod with removeable teeth (I realize this is a weakness of mine--most of my dolls have teeth).

I'd never want my worry about damaging a doll (and honestly, some people will consider them damaged now) to prevent me from enjoying the doll. If you think repainting a doll will be too emotionally loaded or hard, I personally wouldn't buy the doll because faceups are how I enjoy the hobby.

So I'd say go for it! Faceup the doll.

17. Yes and No.

2 years ago, one of my (BJD) dolls, an LE came with a faceup we did not like. He is still in his default faceup but that will be redone. Otherwise, he will be sold. I am not willing to sell him because he fits well in my resin team. So, repainting is the only option.

I never touch the company sealed faceup of SD16B Yukinojou (2006), it is still fresh and we like it that way. However, a few years ago, he suffered a fall that could have dented his nose and face. I took him to see the Volks doll doctor at IDEX convention in 2015 in Florida, the doll doctor said his sculpt is alright, but there's a tiny bruise to the faceup in one of his eyebrows. I would like to give him a new faceup but am in no hurry. I wonder how many full set SD16B Yukinojous still keep their original faceups, if there are less than 10, I will not erase mine but if more than 10, I am willing to wipe. The company faceup is still good and the dent is tiny. He's an old doll, so, no hurry there.

All my BJDs have company sealed faceups. All Volks. I refuse to touch the faceup of the F38 Christian because it is a SATO FCS very well done. There's absolutely no guarantee that a custom faceup will do better. As for Isao, he has been illegally copied to a point where I really don't want to mess with his original design and faceup. His eyes talk, so, I won't dare to mess with that, he still has his original hot-glued eyes. His faceup is still fresh after 13-14 years. His resin beautiful, very little yellowing. As for Reisner, he cost too much to acquire, I won't change his faceup. It is very very well done.

I know conservative doll collectors will not advocate custom makeup. However, I think they fail to understand something.......at some point in time, a doll's makeup will need to be wiped to preserve and maintain the vinyl, porcelain or in this case resin. The oldest doll in my family is 55 years old. She was from England. I am not allowed to wipe her makeup BUT.......some 20 years ago when she was 30+, dark patches started to show on her face, I was forced to clean off her precious makeup from Palitoy doll company of England that can never be replaced, the company has long ceased business. Her identity, the company's work sealed in that makeup. I wiped with my own hands..........to save her face. Today, her face is as clean as it can be. She look younger. I can possibly get her repainted in a doll hospital in England but I prefer a blank head. It's easier to maintain the condition of plastic and besides, she does not look like one those haunted dollies from horror movies!!! ;)

So you see.....I keep dolls for a long time, I understand that at some point, the makeup on a doll's face will likely need to be wiped.

18. I mean, I've done it before, and it's probable that I'll do it again somewhere down the line... I fought with myself over my first mod of a character/limited doll for a really long time. I didn't want people to think that I didn't care about her, or that I didn't recognize her value, and I didn't want to end up ruining her by accident, either. A friend of mine at a local meet encouraged me to go ahead with what I wanted to do and advised me on a way to do my mod without it being totally permanent. Fast forward to now-- Eiko's faceup is done, and because of that I've bonded better with her, and learned new skills.

If it makes you happy, do it! The heart wants what the heart wants.

19. The old limited dolls from Volks all have very ugly and light face up, i have to change them...

20. I don't buy a doll for their (often bland) factory look; only their sculpt, and its potential to suit the character I want to see come to life.

For instance: my Soom Amber is an original from 2009 that's passed a number of hands. There's no telling how many faceups she's been through by now. Wiped the one from her previous owner and sent out to my regular artist so that's at least two.