1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Would you ever Face Up a Limited Edition Doll?

Jun 19, 2016

1. I'm new to the hobby and have never done faceup and I would definitely not do face up on a limited doll sculpt myself.

Would you use a face up service for a limited doll sculpt? I don't mean to sound really paranoid or to think really bad of others, and obviously I would read the feedback of the commissioner, just wondering...

2. Personally I generally admire dolls for their sculpt not the faceup the sculpt has, so I'll repaint any doll i buy even if its a limited sculpt because i like just that, the sculpt :) and want to flesh it out in my own character including faceups ^.^

3. Did you have a question or discussion point in mind? Like, "how important to you is the faceup in a limited fullset?" or "do you remove the default faceup from limited dolls?" or something?

4. No i replied to someone O.p either i really messed up or they deleted the original question

5. Whoops, sorry guys! I was merging threads and missed some posts! :sweat

6. Thanks xD I was kinda confused!

7. Like others have said, some limited dolls are sold blank, so their owners can give them face-ups or commision someone else to give them face-ups. I own several limited dolls I ordered blank. I'm going to do their face-ups myself, even though I'm new at it. I can always take it off and try agian. I have one a got second hand who has a face-up done by her first owner. But I can wipe it off and redo it.

Re-doing the face-up of a company painted limited might reduce its value to other collectors if you choose to resell it. Other collecters may not approve of changes made to a limited doll, but its your doll, and your choice.

8. I think people are mis-understanding my question, my question is not whether to have face up on my doll, my question is would you let someone else do face up on your limited doll, or - would you trust someone else with your limited doll.

9. I trust my regular face-up artist completely. She does an excellent job, and has several limited dolls herself. I will say that I prefer not to send my dolls overseas for face-ups. I'm worried more about the package getting lost than damage being done by the artist, though.

10. I'm sending a limited off to be dyed black and receive a full body paintjob. ;)

as many others are saying, your doll is yours and you shouldn't worry about whether theyre limited or not or what anyone else will say about it.
      Do what makes you happy!

11. I would trust them for sure! An artist has their reputation to keep and most are very careful and take proper care of the dolls. Also a lot of dolls tend to be limited so they have probably handeled many limited dolls too!

12. Honestly if it's a Limited, I'd be really hesitant on giving them a new faceup, just because the three limiteds I like all have faceups I like, or they have really pretty faceups that are just beautiful in their own right so it'd be weird to me to wipe it unless it got damaged.

That being said, my Bontenmaru is a limited and his faceup was already wiped off by the original owner... so I had to give him a new one regardless of if I had wanted to or not! Though I wish he still had his original faceup, since I liked his original faceup...
      (Though it seems like my opinion is in the minority here! :lol:)

However I don't care if someone else does whatever they want with their dolls, limited or not. They're meant to be enjoyed in whatever way their owner wants, so yeah.

13. Not because I have been looking for a limited so I know that feeling of endless search. I will sell or even consider a trade.

14. as long it looks like my oc and the face up i do looks good on the doll i wouldnt mind :)

15. Me myself I would never faceup a limited doll but I’d definatly get one done by a proffessional

16. Ah, the beauty of faceplates! I would never wipe a limited edition faceup. I WOULD get another faceplate and go to town!

However, you can do anything you want to things you own, keeping in mind the resale value of a limited edition bjd will probably decrease.

17. If the question is 'would you send your limited head across state lines for someone else to paint a faceup on it' then the answer is yes. I am not good enough at faceups to do justice to my own dolls. That is best left to the professionals in my opinion. I always send my dolls out to be painted - limited or not.

If the question is 'would you wipe a limited faceup to customize the doll' - me no. I tend to love the company faceups. However if I didn't then I would just order blank and have a spot waiting with an artist I liked for when it arrived. The sculpt is worth more than the original faceup. A doll is worth more with a GOOD faceup (company or otherwise) than blank, and a bad or damaged faceup is worth less than blank.

18. Yeah, why not. I like my dolls to have unique styles.

19. Dolls are there to enjoy (in my opinion) and are not classified as 'investments' by me, so I say do what you want with them. Give them a face up if you want I guess it's all part of enjoying the doll!

20. i always buy my dolls blank.