1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Would you ever pay a LOT of money for a face up?

Nov 2, 2010

1. I would pay high prices for face up's if I could afford to do so. I have spoken to artists who use up to ten coats of MSC, thats ten layers of working those pastels, balancing eyebrows, lashes etc...! That equals hours of work. I wouldn't expect an artist to work for peanuts per hour for their individual artistry and skill..So, I don't consider $150 at the higher end of the scale to be expensive.

A small price to pay for potentially a couple of years of pleasure.

2. I wouldn't pay more than $ 50, expect when the artist realy realy impress my very with his skills. It should be something which I never would think about it to try it by myself XD
      If I would find someone with such a special ability/work, I think I would pay till $200 for it.

3. i didn't use to think i would pay a lot for faceups. but i realised that i'm actually willing to, after some failed attempts at faceups. it's not that i can't do my own, but i really don't like my half assed versions, and if i can get a nicer one by paying a customiser for it, why not? i'm more concerned about whether the faceup will turn out the way i want rather than the price. so short answer. yes, i would pay a lot (which i interpret to mean more than 100usd) for a faceup if i find it worth it.

4. Unlikely. I also do face-ups on my dolls myself. I'm not an expert, but good enough for the results I'm going for.

Anyway, there are plenty of face-up artists in my country. I'd probably just have to make an appointment to have the face up done at Dolliverse.

5. I'd be willing to pay quite a bit of money for a faceup, if it didn't require shipping the head to them and then shipping it back. :shudder For some reason, the idea of that really chills my blood, and I really can't put words as to why.

Fortunately, I'm willing to learn to do them myself. Who knows, maybe I'll suck and decide to send her to a pro after all. :lol:

6. I would definitely pay a premium price for a high-quality faceup to my tastes. In fact, you could even say that I have in the past paid an exorbitant amount for a faceup (and mods) when I bought a Volks Reisner head customized by my favorite Japanese artist, Robin's Egg, on Y!J. His faceup is exquisite, and I don't regret a single cent I spent on acquiring him with that particular customization.

As for faceups I've commissioned, I think the most I've paid so far is around $150, though I'd pay more if necessary to get what I want, and felt the artist's work was worth it. I have several dolls faceupped by some of the higher end commissionable artists both on and off DoA, and am glad I own their work. To me, how my dolls photograph is top priority. I don't want to use my macro lens on a doll's face and see gritty pastels or shaky lines.

7. I think anything up to $150 is totally fine, but I would consider paying more.

You have to think, the artist has purchased materials and obviously practised on several dolls to get to the stage where they can actually be commissioned. Then you have to pay for their time, I feel that people forget that.

My Grandma is an artist and paints beautiful oil paintings, and it amazes me that some people who try to commission her expect her to do it for next to nothing. She doesn't charge much to start with, and I think people are very cheeky when they expect less.

So, if the face up was something I thought was worth it, I'd be happy to pay over $150.

8. I have, in a way, when I bought my Art Delf Anhel Dion. The clothes were pretty, the boots were awesome, but I bought him for the sculpt and the beautiful face-up by Poppy. From my memory he was about 1200 dollar, which is a lot for those two things! But he is beautiful. I've sold him since, because I wanted to upgrade the character(and regret it a bit, to be honest), but luckily a friend of mine has bought him and his face-up is still beautiful. He is worth the price <3

So yes, I have, and I would again, if I was something I really, really loved.

9. Depends on the faceup artist and turnaround time for the faceup to be done and shipped back to me. There are many faceup artists I love and admire, but the famous one's are always filled up.

10. Well, I enjoy working on my dolls, even if I'm not terribly good at it. It's a nice feeling to look at my doll's faceup (however crappy) and say "I did that!" On the other hand, if I ever got tired of working on my dolls, I'd be willing to pay a fair amount of money (over 100 dollars). People pay more than that amount for fancy paintings, and let's face it...I don't enjoy looking at oil paintings as much as I do looking at a great faceup.

11. It would depend on who is doing the face up, but if it was someone I really liked I'd be willing to pay around 125 for it, possibly a little more. So far I haven't paid to have any done or done any myself, but I'm sure I will in the future.

12. well I'm really lucky. I have a lot of friends who are great artists and they offer me face ups cloths and the like ^.^ all I have to do is tell them what they can use on my girl and it's done. Why pay for something when you can get a less known artists who does just as wonderful of work do it for free ^.^. But I know I am lucky that I have friends who want to learn faceups and I trust them a lot. Right now my friend Bat is making me a Miko outfit for my big girl and wants to make a small one for the little girl. All I have to do is give her the fabric.

13. my horses are worth every penny that i spent on their paint :) .

if you want to have fun and 'practice' or you like 'your own paint' that is fine. if you want 'best paint in world painted with unicorn eyelashes' then you "pay" for it.

14. As mentioned before, "LOT" is a subjective word.

I would, have and will again pay over $100 (not including shipping) for face up.

To me, a face up is not just giving / adding color and lines to my doll's head; they actually give them soul. Thus I value the works done by these talented artists and I am willing to pay what they are asking for

A good face up also last a long time (my oldest doll is now over 2 year and still in perfect shape) and the enjoyment I get from working with my dolls is PRICELESS - really no kidding.

15. I would love to have a custom face up done by an amazing artist one day. For now, I agree with many that the an incredible face-up could be somewhere between $100-$175.00 (including shipping). I think the BJD's face-up on that sculpt is what makes the decisive factor for me when I am looking for a doll. Her or his face can determine the mood, expression and overall "personality" for the character that I may be thinking about.

I know I will never be able to paint 3D - give me a flat canvas; I can do something. I admire those who can do their own face-ups. The face-up artist's ability to do the commission with an owner's ideas and input is what can really determine the value in my opinion. BJD is a form of artistic expression - and if someone can share your vision and complete your custom doll; it is well worth it.

16. Maybe I'm totally desensitized too far to ever turn back but, yes, I am willing to pay a... lot for a very nice face-up. xD

I may haggle and argue myself out of the price more often than not when it comes to general money-spending, but in a 'luxury' hobby as expensive as this one, price is not the matter; the work of the art is.

In other words, if I'm spending as much as I do now anyways, why not just go all the way? I already spend a couple( :? ??) of hundreds dollars on my toys.. so I might as well just go that extra mile. :)

17. Haha, absolutely not! All my money went into doll clothing because I can't sew. To make up for that I paint my own dolls~

I think for the effort an excellent complete faceup can worth ~$100-$150, if it's more than that it's really up to buyer discretion how much the faceup is really worth.

18. I wouldn't, simply because I do my own face-ups - it's how I bond with my dolls and discover their personalities and names. I got into this obby in the first place because I wanted to do my own face-ups and expand my creativity.

For that reason, if a doll were being sold with a named artist's face-up such as Cristy Stone, Evenstar or SDink, that name would actually put me off that doll - because it would seem a terrible waste to buy the doll only to wipe that face-up.

19. I wouldn't pay more than $100, seeing as they're not permanent. Even if it was by someone famous, it'll eventually wear off.

20. I feel extremely cheap. :sweat Over $100 just seems really expensive to me. That's like 1/2 the price of my doll! (I have an AOD Chi) I understand that it's an artist's right to charge for their artwork, and a good face up really makes all the difference (I've seen AOD dolls that easily looked like $800 dolls after getting a really good face up), but it just seems like a LOT of money for a little pastel, acrylics, and/or watercolor pencils. I dunno. I would never send my boy's head away, anyway. I'm a paranoid doll owner. Even if the person got rave reviews and never ripped off anyone in their life, I'd be afraid of some accident or something ruining my doll and then I'd have to pay for a new head. Maybe if the $100 face-up came with insurance that if anything happened while my doll's head was in their care then they'd pay for a new head and do the face up for free, I'd be ok with it. Still be paranoid, though. My boy doesn't leave my sight. I'm attempting my first face up myself soon, as soon as I get the sealer.