1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Would you ever pay a LOT of money for a face up?

Nov 2, 2010

1. If I found the absolute perfect face up, I would consider paying a lot for it

BUT

as I have not yet found a face up that I like, I paint all of my own :)

It really depends on your style and taste! I painted my first bjd not having a CLUE what to do, but it actually turned out great!
      ~Sarah V

2. I personally wouldn't feel comfortable paying more than $30 for a faceup. Unless it's "OMG GEEZUS" in terms of quality, I might pay something along $40 or so.

3. Eventually I hope the day will come when I can do my own faceups, There is a huge difference in what you see in your mind compared to what is interpreted. I feel that when I can finally do my own, and be proud of that work, then the connection my doll will be complete. Until then, I must pay within reason of course.

Robert

4. $75 +shipping for an SD sized head is my absolute limit. There are many many customizers that I would love to have paint my dolls, but I made the limit pretty strict. There is only one customizer that I would pay more for, but she currently isnt doing faceups anymore. I'm still holding out hope though.
      I really don't like paying more than around $40 for an MSD faceup, but it depends on what I want done. For a natural faceup, no. For a complicated faceup like the one I'm planning for my Shushu, yea I'd go up to my 75 limit if the customizer was perfect for the faceup I wanted. But I wont go past it.

5. Personally I would not - but my reasons are that I prefer to do my dolls' heads myself, because I feel nervous handling other people's work! O_O; My first doll came with a factory faceup by Sairin, who was working for DollGa at the time. The faceup is *beautiful* and far surpasses anything I could ever hope to create... but at the same time I worry about handling her sometimes because it's... like, too beautiful. And not my own work to damage.

I don't believe that there is any "top end price" for faceups. Art is art.

6. I agree with this. Whilst I wouldn't pay for a face-up as I've said above - only because I prefer to do my own - I have no problem with the prices others charge for their work; I know from personal experience that doing a face-up is not as simple as some here seem to think. It's not just a bit of pastel and paint; you're paying for skill and talent - and whilst skills can be taught and honed through experience, talent is something you're either born with, or you're not. And some artists are born with more talent than others. That is what you are paying the premium for.

I invite anyone here who says they wouldn't pay more than $30 for "a bit of paint and pastel" to actually try and do their own face-up. It's not as trivial as you may think. By undervaluing the artist's work you are insulting them.

7. Yes, i would pay alot for a good faceup. I have dolls where the faceup cost me more then the head.

To me it's art, and the head mold is simply the canvas.....and Ive seen alot of (in my taste) ugly head molds that have become stunning with the right face up and visa versa. And I can't do faceups my self (I'm extremly bad at it) so I appreciate the great work others do

8. I have paid silly money for a faceup/mod before-- a Satoko Ohno SchoolHead A modded repaint, absolutely the most exquisite thing I'd ever seen. Layers upon layers of harmonious blushing, flawlessly reshaped & shaded lips with the perfect amount of gloss, trademark Ohno batwing brows and ruffle lashes, human-hair top lashes, delicately blushed & manicured hands, silicone eyes & handpainted silk kimono included. *swoon* But it wasn't a commission, with an agreed-upon price.... it was a fullset whose bidding-war simply got out of hand & went far into the quadruple digits. It was the kind of auction where the bull-goose loony wins the day, and I suppose I was the craziest one there.

Five years later, every time I look at Kaiya, I still think "worth every @%&*ing penny". <3

9. No, I don't pay for other people to do face-ups on my dolls.

I enjoy painting my own dolls very much and have found it to be considerably less stressful to have a face-up that's easy to replace. If I've done it, I can redo if it's damaged and I can wipe it when I want something new. It makes handling my dolls more enjoyable.

Also, I can't sew and don't have any interest in modding, so it's an individual touch I can put that makes a doll feel more uniquely mine.

10. I recently went out and bought high quality supplies at around $100 so I can do my own face-ups, body blushing, etc. I love cosmetology and art, so it will not only be a challenge, but lots of fun!

11. I think it depends on the artists past work and reviews..

12. I would pay whatever price I think it is worth if I can. There are artists out there that do not take commission and your only choice to get a head or doll painted or customized by them is through auctions. Those often times go for a very high price and people certainly are willing to pay over $1000 for the work not including the price of the doll itself. To some people that is insane and they will never understand it but it certainly is not unheard of. I didn't use to understand it either myself but after I start to frequent y!j, I begin to get it. This is art and price tag is very subjective. It is kind of like asking people who don't understand bjds to accept the price we pay for them. Some people will still never see what we see.

13. I think $50-$75 is a reasonable amount to spend to get a face-up that will do the doll justice. I usually get the hands blushed too, and $15-$25 is ok for that. I probably wouldn't look to spend more unless it was a very special doll that I'd already spent more than usual in obtaining, and the artist in question had a track record of exquisitely painting that model - example being SDink/Dollshe boys ;) In that case, $150-$200 and a long wait for a slot would seem reasonable!

14. I've got limited doll funds, so I do my own. Having done my own, I don't begrudge people the $50 or $100 or more that they charge. I've seen some truly extraordinary dolls. And I've been tempted a couple of times to commission one. But I play with my dolls a lot, and perhaps it's strange, but if I had a really expensive face-up on a doll, I think it might actually lessen my enjoyment, I'd be so worried about damaging it.

15. I agree completely with this, since I do my own faceups it's not the end of the world if they get chipped or rubbed, or need to be removed for some reason. I also think being hands on with my dolls in general, like restringing them and such, makes me less afraid of handling them.

16. I firmly believe that by spending the money on the doll you might as well splurge for a beautiful face. However doing a face up yourself gives you practice and its something that you can truly appreciate.

17. No...Not really, I'm not rich UxD And I'm trying to do the make-up myself or a close friend who knows very well how I want the make-up...maybe only if I want some expectacular and awesome make-up but...I'm very classy xD

18. I understand that people may not have the money, but I did say "splurge" and like I said I firmly believe in doing face ups for yourself it gives you practice after all.

19. I like face up by myself~becouse is interesting

20. I did all my dolls' face up myself. But I would like to pay a lot for the tools.