1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Would you lie about your BJD?

Jan 25, 2010

1. I don't tell people I don't know if they ask me about my hobbies and whatnot simply because it'd be a bit strange for a high school student to collect dolls, but if anyone ever asked me "Hey, do you collect ABJDs?" I would of course say yes (because obviously people walk around and ask that question rofl).

I do tell my friends though, frequently - some are vaguely interested, some put up with it, aaand others call me stupid but can't talk much due to the thousands and thousands of dollars they've spent on video games XD but with most of them I feel I can talk about ABJDs without having to lie, so it's aaall good.

As for my family, I did tell them I was getting an Elfkin for $80 but did NOT tell them about the $500 Kyle Reese until he arrived... which they didn't seem to yell at me for, haha. Now I tell them, though, even though it took some convincing to permit me to save for my current dolly goal (I could anyway but it's nice to not have to fight about it later!).

2. I wouldn't lie or withhold information about anything, let alone dolls. My opinion on the matter is that if someone, I don't really care who, gives me trouble about spending ~my~ money on dolls, they can go do some unpleasant things involving sandpaper.

But... that's just the kind of person I am. *shrug* I'm not ashamed of my resin boy. If people spend money on video games, model cars, RC airplanes, etc., why can't I spend money on dolls? That's the reasoning I give them, and they generally accept it.

3. I would never lie to my family about them. As long as I'm not constantly buying new dolls, they don't mind. On the other hand, I usually don't bring them up around my friends. I don't think they'd care, but I don't feel a need to advertise all my hobbies.

4. You can bet on it.

I will never tell to my parents how much I spend on them too. And they never saw a doll of mine too (except for the tiny ones, like my Pipos Cheese Mouse or Pipos Heero).

I´m planning to move to my own house soon specially because of it. I don´t like people judging what do with my money, and yes, I can lie for it. It can not be a beautiful thing to do, but that´s how I protect myself and my little ones, because I know some people would NEVER accept or understand the money we spend on them.

5. I'm a grown woman what are people going to say if I tell them? I splurge once or twice a year on doll or shoe purchases that cost far less than the clothes and vacations of some of the people I know. I don't bring up the cost of my dolls, but I'm not ashamed to say the prices if asked.

6. I tell my parents how much they are, even though they probably think I'm crazy, but I don't think I'd ever tell the majority of my friends. I get enough crazy stares at school as it is. xD

7. I have. When I got my second doll, I was horrified about telling my mom. So when she saw him and asked where he had come from I told her I had found him. You see down in the common room of my appartment building, people leave stuff to give away, so I told her I found him down there in a box in pieces. Seemed to have worked at the time. ^^'

8. I see no reason to lie about my dolls. My parents have access to my bank account online, so they'd know if $500 randomly vanished. Plus, I have a good relationship with them and I don't want to ruin that by going behind their backs. I told my mommy several months in advance that I wanted another doll, and it was going to cost me around $400+. I didn't tell her about my puki until after I'd ordered... but that was under $200, and I had the funds readily available from my birthday and graduation.

9. Eh, it's not worth the effort. That and I'm beyond the age where I'd need to lie about my finances and the amount things cost me.

10. I never lied about my dolls, even when telling my family. I just... didn't tell them how much I spent. I merely told them what a great deal I got, and how lucky I was to get him for such a price. Which was totally true. :D

11. I can't lie to my parents; the liars in my family are so terrible (at lying and personality-wise) that it makes me want to avoid lying as much as possible.

If I don't want to tell my parents something, or if I don't want them to know something, I just won't tell them. In the case of BJDs, I think I'd let a friend who is a fellow BJD hobbyist "babysit" my doll for whenever I have to be around my parents. She actually might take care of a doll better than me since she isn't as clumsy.

12. Second that!
      The pursuit of happiness, and all that. :) As long as I am still also in the real world and remember to be a helping human to others as well, my REAL friends will only share in my happiness. The other people around will be informed on a Need-to-Know basis only! :lol:

13. I would never tell my friends how much my doll cost, because they would tell me a fool to spend so much money "only for a doll".
      (And it's not a "normal" hobby for a nearly 18 year old girl:))

My mum and my grandma know how much she had cost, because they bought her as a christmas present.
      And my mother lend me the money for my second BJD, although she said that spending so much money for a doll ist a little bit weird.
      But both of them like my doll.

My brother and my dad don't know the exact price, because they don't like BJDs and so I would not tell them how much a doll cost.

14. i wont be able to lie since i need help from my parents in order for me to buy my doll since i do not have credits card and all.

15. I've never lied to anyone about the cost of my dolls, or how much they cost me honestly. My mum often helps me order them as it happens, she seems to like the hobby in the way that it seems to have a nice social side, its something that a fair number of my friends are interested in, it has a rather pretty outcome and the dolls do very well at holding their value. She wouldn't want one herself, but she's always told me that what I spend my money on is up to me.

My dad juts rolls his eyes at me and just admits he doesn't under stand, some of my friends don't get it at all, but at the end of the day they look momentarily horrified at how much I confess to spending, then shrug it off and go "Eh, I want a PS3, same difference I guess.." and tend to get over it, even the ones that think they're pretty creepy don't hold it against me.

My Aunt and my Grandmothers absolutely love my boys, and spent a good deal of the time they stayed with us for Christmas playing with them, posing them and admiring them, so that made me smile, I don't think they'd ever buy one, but they like picking up little doll sized things for me, and my gran's both always want to see my new ones, they're very excited that their Christmas money went towards a Sabik.. haha.

16. I haven't directly told my parents how much they are, they just know they're expensive and that's it. My friend who also loves the dolls knows their price, and some other friends know i have them but dont know how much they are either. I would say there are without a doubt lots of people i wouldn't directly tell, though they can see them on my DA. I wouldn't just tell someone, hey i collect dolls, because even once you explain the kind of doll and purpose of having it most people still dont really get it. Its just easier to not talk about it unless they ask about it in my opinion.

17. Definitely would have to lie about it. I'm an adult and my finances should be my business but my Dad is a financial counselor. I get treated to lectures about spending money on movie tickets so there is just no way I would tell him about a hobby this expensive... It's not worth the grief!

18. I would lie about prices, but not about owning them yet xD;

Maybe I would have to lie/hide future ones if my parents find out how much they cost xDDD

19. My parents always have given me flak for spending my money. They're staunch believers of saving. Not that I don't save as well, but I think if I told my parents the true cost of how much I've spent on my hobby, they'd hit the roof. As it is, they're aware they're on the expensive side, but they have no idea how expensive. They probably think slightly more than AG doll expensive. I have actually had to "hide" dolls from my parents. I always make sure I'm home to receive a new doll package. I know my mother's aware that there are more dolls than there have been before, but she has no idea how many. Fortunately, she prefers to delude herself and doesn't bother me with trying to find out. I think she prefers not knowing at this point.

As for other people, I generally don't disclose prices in public, as that's kind of a bad idea. I'd rather people didn't know how much I spent on a doll I'm currently holding. That's just asking to be robbed.

Otherwise, I have no problem talking about my dolls with people. Sometimes, with new people that don't know about them, I prefer to lead slowly into the subject. One of my friends, however, likes to bring them up with new people. Even though she doesn't own any herself, she finds it amusing that me and our other friend owns them. I think she likes the look on people's faces when they see them. :lol: She's a weirdo.

20. Oh my goodness yes XD
      There are a whole bunch of people -especially at school- who I wouldn't tell about my boy -as amazingly gorgeous and luverly he is ;D - If word got out or something, I don't think I'd mind, it's just the fact that I already have a reputation as a weirdo to some people, and I don't want to increase that...
      though I suppose I wouldn't mind too much :P