1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Would you lie about your BJD?

Jan 25, 2010

1. I haven’t lied about my doll as such, I’ve just failed to tell my parents, I know they wouldn’t be best pleased at what I spent on him, even though I bought him second hand, so if I go on a trip etc and don’t take him with me, I make sure to hide him away. But my brother knows, as do most of my friends and my boyfriend, and they are all fine with him.

2. No. If I do not think they will like him I do not talk about him, but if the subject comes up then of course I will. If they ask how much he is, I tell them (unless they're strangers, I'm afriad they'll try to thief him for monies) and if that upsets them, too bad. If they don't like him, if I'm going over to thier house or doing something they invited me to I'll leave him home, but if they tag along with me then they can just deal.

3. I'm gonna face this soon as i'll go back to my hometown in couple days. So far they only know that i got 'big dolls' from pics on facebook (they saw my SDs boys), but never asked me about the prices. Only 2 of my friends know about the price. Beside i don't really show them to people.
      Soon my family will know about their prices...:doh

4. Nope. I've never lied about my dolls and don't plan to. I don't like lieing in general, I see no reason to lie over this matter either. If I'm going to lie, it's going to be for a really good reason, not just because I don't like dealing with the honest reaction of people. :| Seems really cowardly to me, and no different from lieing about your favorite band because you don't want to admit to others you like that band. If I like something, I'm not going to hide it, no matter what.

But then again this is from someone who can easily admit to a crowd of people as well as her own family she likes girls. :lol: So dolls is very much easier to talk about, it's a no brainer compared to other things I've truthfully told others about, so take this with a grain of salt. I understand most people also care a lot more about what others think than I do.

5. Well, my first doll was a birthday present (<3 you mummy!) so I can't very well hide that issue.

But...unless someone would ever ask me to buy her...I don't see the reason in telling!

6. There is a lot of people I will never tell... or at least try xD
      But I already told those I wish I never had...

Its not really a lie... you are just not telling the whole truth ;3
      xD

7. I have a very similar opinion. I wouldn't tell my parents and some of the friends (who don't know anything about BJDs or how much they cost) the price I will pay for my doll(s).

I've had always unusual hobbies too, so even when it will be a little shocking for some people, who know me, they will adapt to it quickly - or at least I think so :)
      And my moms love to sew clothes for my dolls when I was little (and also her dolls, when she was little), so I think she will like it - till now she liked the pictures of BJDs. I'm really curious of her view as she will hold my future doll and will see it irl :sweat
      And my grandmother was absolutely amazed - she collects some dolls too and when I showed her photos of BJDs she was soo excited :aheartbea She told me she's really looking forward for seeing my doll :) That made my day :aheartbea

8. I don't have to lie, it's just that they don't ask. My parents don't know how much they cost. I would catch my mom occasionally stare at them but no questions, just things like they're ghost/spirits. If they did find out, not that I'll ever tell them, they'll beat me. ABJD is a concept they would never get or understand. But when that time comes I will lie. I don't want to end up dead.

9. My parents know how much they cost. They complain about it, but they aren't mean about it or say that I can't buy dolls/doll things. I think that they also realize that I could be spending my money in worse ways than on dolls (the aforementioned drugs/alcohol).

10. Indeed she should be happy that your into dolls 'stead of sitting on a corner and smoking crack. :)

11. WOW.... I'd say the same thing there! My parents would shoot me... and then tell me to move out...

12. I just did the other day.

But it wasn't really a lie; more like an indirect truth. Sure, it was $500.00 but that was only for the body. ;)

13. I got my parents to buy me a small Dollfie, so they think all of these kinds of dolls cost about that much (y'know, about $20 or $30 lol ). So, naturally once I get my 50 and 55cm Obitsus I will NOT be telling them how much I spent...

14. I don't lie about my dolls, but I don't always talk about it, especially in detail. Certainly if someone asks me what I like/what I like to do, I sometimes mention that I collect dolls and leave it at that unless more questions are asked.

15. I think this is the best approach, and I tend to do much the same. One of my friends knows how much they cost simply because he asked about my boys when he first saw them, then went away and googled 'BJDs' for more information afterwards, but that was his own decision to follow up on it out of curiosity there... other than that, I avoid talking about my dolls in any detail unless the person I'm talking to specifically asks about them. I don't care about sports results or how much money my friend spent on her new phone or designer shoes, so why would I bore my friends telling them about Volks' new releases or how much a new head or custom pair of eyes cost? Mutual courtesy in friendship is often about sticking to topics that both people are interested in and not boring one person to tears blabbering on about something they couldn't care less about, really!

16. No, I would not lie about my BJDs in any capacity. It's not in my nature or my principles to lie.

Not many people know that I'm in the BJD hobby... but then again, not many people know much about my other hobbies or activities either. I'm generally reticent and don't like discussing myself unless I have a good reason to. I have occasionally brought up BJDs, but only with good friends who know me quite well. My family probably knows the most about them -- but I'm very close to my family and share a lot with them anyway.

If anyone asked about my dollies, I'd tell the truth -- but whether I answer qualitatively ("it cost at least several hundred") or quantitatively ("it cost $500") depends on how well I know them. ;)

17. I told my mom that I had a new doll on the way and she said "Not another $80 doll, right?" She was referring to the Pullip I bought. I just said "Oh, no...." Technically it wasn't a lie :)

18. I hate to lie, but I might if my mother-in-law asked me about how much my boy cost, she's one of those critical types of mother-in-laws that make you feel inadiquate, she she seems to like Kotaro ok, but I'm not about to tell her his price:eusa_sile.

19. To be honest I haven't lied about my dolls before and I don't think I will.

I may have not told my parents until a week before Aubrey arrived that he was coming, and I may have not told them about Penelope arriving until they walked in on the box opening, but I never lied about it. To be fair they never asked about either so I suppose it was just omission of information.

As for friends, my co-workers mostly know about my odd hobby and my close friends do. For school friends though, I don't mention it. I'm not sure how open they'd be to it, but the topic has never come up and I don't want to go around saying "Hey guys! Guess what I have?".

I won't lie if someone asks me about it or about my hobbies. I won't bring it up though with some people.

20. Okay I don't habe a dollfie, but other expensive dolls :sweat
      I don't lie about my hobby infront of anyone, I love my dolls to much as to deny them :aheartbea, but I dont tell them how much they cost, only if they ask.
      But I defenetly would NEVER tell my perents how much they kost… they havn't got a lot left for my hobbys (because its always something japanese :|) and I already get houre long preaches for spending a dollar or two *_*