1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Would you lie about your BJD?

Jan 25, 2010

1. No, I wouldn't lie about how much I paid for one of my dolls, but I wouldn't blame someone else for doing that if they were lying about how much a doll cost to avoid having to hear attitude from someone.

2. I usually judge it by the situation.

IE, if someone recognizes the specific brand of my doll rather than just 'a dollfie' or 'one of those expensive asian dolls', if I'm at a convention or if I'm out on the street, and whether the person seems genuinely interested or just nosy, and whether I get any skeevy vibes off of them.

On many occasions when I've been carrying around my most expensive LE I've told people 'Oh, she's just a Chinese knock-off'. NOT to insult Chinese dolls- I have four of my own and love them! But if someone seems interested in the doll ONLY because they think it might be valuable, they'll immediately go 'Oh' and walk away. If they're genuinely interested, they'll ask more questions.

Or at cons, I'm far more likely to open up to the truth about my dolls than when we're, say, at a public doll meet and someone asks. People at a con are more likely to actually be interested and/or already be aware of their value/what they are. People in public are usually just nosy (Why is that adult carrying around a doll??) or want to know if it's valuable.

OF COURSE, those are huge generalizations. I encountered someone who yelled "Dollfie!!!" at the Mall of America (when my doll was tucked away in her bag. They recognized the Dream of Doll logo :P) and I've had people at conventions go "Oh, it's THOSE expensive Asian Dolls. Barbie is better." (For reals. Someone felt free to loudly, obviously meaning for me to hear it, talk about how much expensive Asian dolls suck and that's why they own a huge Barbie collection.)

3. >.> That dollfie hater is a fail :)

4. Not at all, though as the doll family starts growing I may have to start being more vague about the cost... XD;

I'm typically pretty open about my dolls. I know at this point it's a weird, expensive hobby and not everyone is going to get it. So I've kind of come to expect the shocked reactions, and see no problem with it. *shrug*

5. I've been honest with family and friends about the price of my doll and other dolls in general. i think they tend to unnderstand the price more when you tell them it's a handmade, handcast doll. But i wouldn't tell the pric of a doll to just anyone who came up and asked, because they are worth alot.

6. Yes, the same. Money and doll's prices.

7. Not telling any of my family (other than my parents) about her price. ;_;
      I don't mind telling other people the price if they ask for it, though. But usually they don't, sooo....:)

8. I have told them the price~To my suprise~they support me!:)

9. I don't think I'll say how my dolls cost to family or friends. Thay would try to stop me buying them! T^T

10. xD My mom actually payed for my doll, and sort of got the idea of why i wanted it, because she liked them too, But, my fatehr thinks they are a waste f money ;w; but either way, i still continuosly drone on to him about BJDs and such, xD

11. I have no reason to lie about my interests. There are people I wouldn't tell about them just because I know not everyone is interested in talking about BJDs.

12. I might avoid the mentioning of cost, but I don't think they're shameful.

13. I have a hard time lying in general-I'm not good at it for starters. Also, in this case, I can't really lie to my mom about anything about this doll especially the price because, even though I'm paying for it, Mom is letting me use HER credit card, so it would show up. In regards to keeping it from others, like my friends, my friends know I have strange interests. I also don't really care if someone thinks my doll is weird or if they think I'm crazy for spending my money on one. Many of my friends easily spend that much a cigarettes. At least I'm buying something that will be with me for years and retain value.

14. My family and friends know the cost of my dolls-- my best friend has them and bought me my first, and my aunt and mother each have bought me a doll (for college graduation presents). They also know how much the ones I'm saving for are. However, I do have one little, white lie...

My mother doesn't know about the doll my aunt bought for me for graduation. :O She only knows about the one my BFF gave me, the one I bought, and the one she got me. So I dodge the question of how many I have~ My mum is weird about people spending money on me, though... she'd have flipped if she knew my aunt was spending that kind of money on me. ._.; So really it's just to keep the peace.

I do try not to tell strangers the full prices and stuff, cos it sounds a little crazy... but I don't often come upon strangers who are interested when I have my doll(s) out and about. :P I don't like to lie, though, so... hmm, who knows what I'd do if someone enthusiastic were to start asking me questions?

15. I won't tell my family about the dolls at all. I'm a private person and I only like people knowing what I want them to know. I'm not going to lie about it. I'm just never going to bring it up. It's not that I have anything to hide or feel like I'm doing anything wrong, I just don't like being open about anything with my family. They're too judgmental and it's just too much of a hassle.

I'll tell my friends. They either already have an idea of how much the dolls cost and know a little about them or just think it's a cool art-y thing I do. I'm in the Theatre Department, as are most of my friends, and they are pretty open to this kind of thing. They're not terribly judgmental types to begin with.

16. Well...I think I wouldn't lie about the dolls. My family know about them, also the high prices ^^ And they are okay with it, it's my money so I can do with it whatever I want.

17. WOW, that's an extremely GOOD point!! It's a shame, though, how wishy-washy parents can be about things. When I first saw the prices of these dolls my eyeballs fell out of my head. Now I own 12, the purchase of another is pending and I won't be done after that either. I have mostly SD/70cm sized dolls.
      My boyfriend is into computer building so I have that to throw in his face whenever he blurts out about my doll costs. :)

Anyway, this whole doll hobby VS. baby care or drug habits is a very good point. Dolling is definitely more constructive. Addictive in its own right, but definitely more constructive than those other routes.

18. I never have and would not do because I think there is no need. My mother knows about the cost of several of my BJD (Almost all their prices are on a similar range), my partner knows about the cost of every of them, my brother knows kind of the cost they mean and I am not pretty sure if my father knows anything about it. Family aside, what I do sometimes is not saying exact numbers, usually avoid telling prices, when I hesitate about the intentions of the person who is asking me about it. Other times, when I do not hesitate and the person who asks does not know about this hobby, I tend to explain the cost by comparison to other more common things. However, by my experience, one good way of telling about their costs without talking about their prices is saying BJD are kind of for collectors' dolls.

19. for some of them no I don't think I'd lie. For others oh god yes. My mum came with me when I bought my first dollfie from Dolls and Friends (local BJD store that closed about 2 years back). So she knows how much my little AOD MSD and I'll gladly tell anyone who asks how much she cost. However for my SOOM, nope. I'm not going to go around telling the average yahoo how much she cost and neither will I tell my parents epically my mum who thinks I spent a shocking amount of four hundred on her ;)

My SOOM is a thousand dollars of doll (including clothing and everything) and some how I don't feel safe telling others how much she is worth, the same as my other SD who was a limited edition. I'd be too worried about having her stolen. I'm not sorry that I spend so much, my dolls make me happy and for anyone who knows BJD's the cost isn't as important as that.

20. I would only lie if I was ashamed of my hobby. I am not. My mother knows how much they cost, as does much of my family, they think I'm spoiled, I could care less, I don't go and buy a new doll every month or something.

Random strangers? Depends. 'Those are pretty how much were they.' I'll politely respond. 'How much was on that stupid thing?' 'Expensive, piss off." So essentially I've no reason to lie.