1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Would you lie about your BJD?

Jan 25, 2010

1. My parents and I have an understanding, similar to the "don't ask don't tell" policy - I'll do what I want with my money, and tell them my dolls cost more than I'd like to admit, and they don't pry for details. So, it's not lying, it's just... keeping my business to myself. It's not as if I haven't shown them the websites, so if they really wanted to know, they could just look it up. But I think they're probably happier not knowing.

My doll friends all know how expensive the hobby is, so there's no need to sugar-coat anything there.

And my co-workers only know that they're "quite expensive", but they chalk it up to being like any other hobby - once you get into it, there's more involved than you see at first blush, so of course, it's going to start heading that direction.

I don't think I'd actually lie about the cost, if someone really wanted to know, but otherwise, I just spare them the details and give them the form-letter answer.

2. my family and most of my friends know about my hobby, and how much it costs. but there are other friends of mine that i will neeeever tell. like, i have "anime nerd, art" friends and they know. but then i have "normal" friends who would probably think i am some sort of creepy person or something...lol...

3. I feel that some of my friends simply can't relate to the ability to spend a few grand on non-essentials. I have totally po' broke and hungry friends, and while I try to help them when I can, they simply will always have that poor-person mentality. They always tell me I spent too much money on everything, but I'm at a point in my life where I can afford to do so. Seeing how gorgeous these dolls are makes them not just jealous of the dolls, but of the fact that they don't have the financial freedom to spend money on things that are "just pretty." I tried to tell them that if I ever had money to spend it would be on art and this is essentially what I'm doing, but I get the "stupid barbies?!" vibe from them so I just don't bother.

So, in the definition of a white lie or being evasive about the truth, I creatively find ways to downplay their cost as well as their importance to me to protect their feelings as well as myself from their reaction. I don't tell anyone how many hours I spend on DoA or how much more excited to get my Cuprit than I was to get my wedding dress... Just this weekend my husband tried to introduce the subject to a mutual friend but I blew it off as "just a silly thing no one else cares about..." so that I wouldn't even START having to answer such questions. Turns out as an active photographer she had seen them on Flickr, but I couldn't get an impression of what she thought of them from "Are those the dolls I always see people filling their Flickr with?" It wasn't overly enthusiastic or apathetic...so I let it drop quickly.

To tell the truth, I feel the hobby is somewhat lonesome...the one friend I have I tried to get into the hobby blew it off as an overpriced toy. The only person I can ever really get excited about dolls with is my husband, who just humors me about it. Oh well. :(

4. I actually lie about my dolls more than I'm comfortable with, but it's often to avoid the unnecessary price question "WHY WOULD YOU PAY THAT FOR A DOLL!?"

I've always been responsible with my money, as that's how I was raised. Even when I tried to explain to people that I have the money I have because I try to lead a minimalistic lifestyle, I still catch a ration of scoffs when I mention the price of my dolls. The way I see it, my dolls are mine, my money is my money, and I'm not robbing anyone of anything by buying them. I pay my bills, I take care of my things, and if I have to lie about those things to keep from getting hurt by their careless comments and to keep peoples' noses out of my finances, then so be it.

5. Indeed, I remember a time when it was extremely rude to ask someone how much they paid for ANYTHING... I blame the internet. Or something...

6. I have a tendency not to mention exactly how many dolls or which dolls I have, except with other collectors. In fact, this habit extends to other areas, like gross income, travel or electronic gizmoes, too. Many of my friends have economic difficulties and I feel it would seem boastful to discuss exact numbers. Even if they ask, I try to steer the conversation away from the topic.

I try to extend the same priviledge of privacy to other collectors, but man, what do you say someone it blurts out? Not my business how folks spend their money.

7. I don't really keep my dolls a secret from anyone except one friend (she is rather judgmental and scathing and I don't want to deal with that). The other friends I've mentioned it, but I do it in passing and most have their own odd hobbies and interests so there is no worry of judging :) My family knows and as long as I manage my money well they don't care.

8. I wouldn't tell my friends how much it costs. My mom said that i have to keep it as a secret XD.

9. I will never tell my parents the real price of my dolls. EVER, they would totally kill me for spending so much on a doll. They still think its about $200 less than the actual price. :sweat and im not telling them otherwise.

10. Oh gods, I'd never tell my parents how much my doll cost me... And she's a resinsoul and thus on the lower end of the price scale! I'm 28 and my parents are _still_ way too in to how I spend my money -.-

11. I really don't see a point in lying about my hobbies. I like what I like, they cost what they cost, and that's that.

I don't TELL my dad about my doll hobby....but I wouldn't LIE about it, either. If he found out somehow and had question's I'd like to think I'd be upfront about it. With him it's about not wanting to stress an already strained relationship, though. He's never liked how much I spend on the things I enjoy and he's JUST starting to accept the fact that I'm a responsible adult.

12. I wouldn't lie to my family, or friends, about my dolls... but I would evade the questions about how much I spend! My mom is thrilled that I finally found a hobby I enjoy and can actually get into, and she's the only one who knows anything close to how much I spend on the hobby. My friends... well, they all know that it's an expensive hobby, but they probably don't know how expensive. The topic just never seems to come up.

13. +1
      people can act as they want, it's a hobby i choosed and i don't care what they think about it)

14. I think lying about the price to our parents is a very common thing. I mean.. which parent wouldn't freak out at their child spending hundreds to thousands of dollars on a "toy" that cannot eat or be eaten @_@

Other than that, I believe some lie about the number of dolls they have too. Or lie saying that the "new" doll their moms see on their desk is actuall a friend's >.<

I do not lie about the quantity, but I usually buy complete dolls or bodies many months apart so my mother wouldn't quite notice (LOL). Either that or I just keep my other dolls stored away. But sometimes it doesn't work.

As for the price, my parents have found out the "actual market rate". But I do not tell them that sometimes, they cost more >.<

15. Only my parents and my nephew know the actual price. At first they wondered the general price, but then they got over it because they saw it made me happy.

Anyways, I'm not going to lie about the fact I collect dolls. I won't lie about the price either because I'm not even going to tell anyone. My friends don't need to know what I spend my money on, but if they ever ask, I'll just smile and tell them to guess. (Even if they guess right, I'm not going to say so :lol:)

16. I told my mom that mine cost $100. :sorry

*prepares to burn in hell*

She would have me committed if she knew I spent $700+ on a doll.

17. My mom knows the price, but I'm not going to tell my dad. I'm not the greatest liar but I do have enough sense to know what battles to pick and the when and where of said battles. If that means evading or not telling the complete truth fae style, so be it. -shrug- It's not worth it to me. I'd much rather have my dad excited that I want his help researching and making things for my little Caribbean girl.

18. well I don't think he is a very good boyfriend if he'll leave you over dolls.

19. I've been avoiding telling my youngest sister because she thinks everything in my house is just going to be destroyed anyways so why should I bother spending that much money on a doll....

what she doesn't realise is that I have this wierd thing where if it's under $80 USD, I don't take good care of it because I figure I can always get another one (except my books) but anything over that i'm super careful with (which is why the little glass tchotchkes are still a complete set but half my silverware has been missing since january.)

20. cost...that is something I didn't tell my mum about, even though it was my money I still felt..guilty I suppose lol so I never told my mum the actual cost of things, I didn't lie...I just didn't give a figure lol.
      And she would have never now had she not accidentally opened my bank statement thinking it was hers and nearly had a fit thinking she had bacome a victim of identiy theft and been charged £200 odd for something she didn't buy lol. Ah well