1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Would you like to see more 50~55 cm BJD's?

Sep 20, 2009

?
  1. Yes, I would love to see more 50~55cm BJD's, specially boys

2. Yes, I would love to see more 50~55cm BJD's, specially girls

3. I wanna see boys and girl in sizes between MSD and SD!!

4. I am not interested in this size

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
    1. I would definitely want one. The problem if only one or a few companies makes them is that most clothes probably wouldn't fit D:

2. I do like the thought of expansion--I'm all for new sizes! However, I'm also for more innovations (and more dolls!) in current sizes. ;)

3. The standard Volks SD girls and boys are 55cm tall, and I assume the customhouse girls are this height as well. So this wouldn't really be expanding or new at all. *_~ I think what's happened is that recently the trends have been for either really super tall dolls, or really super small dolls, and the inbetween sizes just haven't been given as much focus. The shorter SD size kids are out there, you just have to look around and realize that SD size doesn't automatically mean 60cm even.

4. I'm going to agree with the sentiment that it's just another size to try to find stuff for. Either they're going to need giant noggins so they can share wigs with SD sized dolls or slightly undersized noggins to share with minis ... shoes will be tight or loose, and it just seems like a pain in the butt all around. If it's just a matter of a doll appearing a certain age, Volks's SD boys certainly have very immature bodies and young faces even though (I just checked--I could have sworn he was shorter) they're around 60cm.

If a single company went all out and produced bjds in a 50-55 range and produced their own line of wigs and shoes and clothes, I could see that working. But an established company is going to have a harder time keeping up with that and their already established sizes. Just look at the SSDF line from Luts. It's a weird size, not very standard, and they have VERY FEW clothes available for them. Which leaves consumers to make their own or see what fits from other companies' 70ish lines. Same with Jr. Delf. There are very few clothes that are made to that scale.

Hell, very few clothes are even made to a "regular SD boy" scale. Most are made for 13s.

So I think if a company devoted itself to this size range, it could work and people would probably buy it too. But I don't think established companies need to dip their toes in these waters. There are already so many sizes of bjd available, and companies need to "support" the sizes they already have, which many do not if it falls outside the usual "SD13 boy, SD/13 girl, MSD" range.

5. I'm not particularly interested in that size, although I'm sure some of them are nice :) I'd really like to see more dolls that are 1/6 scale size (like Barbie sized, only way prettier).

6. I would love to see more dolls around 50cm!

One of the main reasons I am hesitant to get a character as a mini is 'cause there is such a small size range available that I simply couldn't find a tall boy to go with her. :( With rare exception, there just aren't any boys that are in-scale to be really tall next to a mini girl. Y'know, like a 70cm boy next to a 60cm girl.

And 50cm dolls are also great for getting a big height difference between 1:3 scale dolls. Honestly, I don't want to have to buy a 70cm doll to get a super tall character -- I'd much rather just get a 60cm range doll and be able to get a shorter 50-55cm doll to go with.

There's not a bad variety of 55-56cm dolls out there now, really, and IMHO they aren't that hard to dress. But when you're dealing with dolls, especially in the 40-45cm range, a few centimeters can make a huge difference. I have a BBB 50cm and she is a delightful size, but SO much smaller than my Volks SD girl.

7. I wish there were more 50-55 girls to go with 60 cm boy :?

8. YES YES YES--I would love to see more short SDs. While I have nothing against very tall dolls, it seems that many companies are going in that direction, and it doesn't leave as much variety for people who want to stick around 60cm. As of now, it can be difficult to find bodies for characters who are supposed to be short, but still in scale with the 60cm guys. In my main story line, 60cm=average height, 62-65=tall individual, and short people are the ones who are on shorter SD sized bodies. Anything over about 65cm for me becomes too tall to fit with the rest and there isn't a lot of smaller bodies available.

But the sculpts Volks offers isn't going to offer enough variety to really suit people's needs. There are some smaller SD sized dolls out there (I have two heads on smaller SD boy bodies both of which are now discontinued), but the pickings are pretty slim. For some it's a perceived sculpt age thing, but for other people it's having dolls that need to be a variety of heights the same way real people vary.

If companies aren't going to put out a lot of clothes for their other odd sized dolls anyway, then I fail to see why it matters whether or not they they decided to pick up another size. Some companies just don't go big time into clothes--their dolls are the main attraction, which can make things a little more difficult some times. But truthfully, unless a company were to put out a large range of styles then people have to shop elsewhere anyway to get what they need. Even with an average sized doll, it's hard to buy clothes and accessories from only that company. That's also why we have lots of seamstresses and why people will often try making their own clothes (and this is coming from someone who isn't that into sewing). However, if a doll size becomes popular, more clothes will start to appear, because it becomes a niche waiting to be filled, and us doll folks are resourceful people anyway ;) If it's a pain for some people to deal with an odd size, then they don't have to buy, but it's no reason for them not to be made if there are hobbyists willing to buy them. Me, I want to see companies start dipping those toes!

9. MSD dolls are a bit too small and SD size is just too big. I love my Zaoll, because she is right in the middle. She is the perfect size for me.
      I would own a lot more dolls if there were more in the middle size. lol

10. I love the SD scale dolls with shorter limbs like the Zaoll. Note that she's not in-between in any sense but height, she's very much an SD scale doll. I don't have much interest in oddball scales loke the rosette girls, just in different heights for the existing scale ranges.

11. I would love too see more different sizes than what you can find today. A size beteen MSD and SD would be great!

12. I have to admit, i dont really get that size dolls, to me it makes more sense that there are 28 cm - 60/65 cm - 70/75 cm and above... :)

13. God I wish there was a comparable quality to Volks boy body that was around 50-52 cm so that my Ushi boy would finally be the right height. He's supposed to be noticeably shorter than my SD girls but is still the same age, so he would have looked ridiculous as an MSD.

Companies make all sort of non-standard over 65cm dolls, so I've never understood why there is such a huge gap between MSDs and the next smallest SDs. I don't like very tall and my SD16 girl pushes me size wise, and as she is supposed to be the tallest out of all of my dolls, their heights are based around her.

14. I have a DollnDoll Loren whom is 54, almost 55cm, actually! But I would love to see more dolls around that size. As I believe all the other SD girls I want are taller then her. Lol. She'll probably be the shortest in the bunch for a while, until I managed to get an MSD. Then she wont feel so bad. Haha. But I'm sure there are a lot of people lookin' for shorter SD sized dolls. It'd be much easier for them if the sizes would vary more in the more popular companies and such.

15. I spent the longest time trying to find a girl doll that suited the character she was supposed to be, but was taller than my MSD boys. An SD sized doll was out of the question- just way too huge, and none of the BJDs that do exist in this size range worked right look-wise. So, in the end, I was left defeated and decided that my girl doll would forever wear boots and/or heels.

The point of the story? More in between sizes would be pretty sweet.

The issue of finding clothing doesn't really bother me, because the same can be said of plenty of the larger and smaller dolls companies are busy making. Even MSD or SD sized dolls that aren't an awkward size might have certain proportions that make it difficult to find clothes for as well.
      So I personally don't see this as an issue.

In my opinion, companies have more to gain than to lose in making more dolls around this size.
      It would help satisfy the needs of those who think MSDs are too small, but think SDs are too big, and also help those people with characters on the shorter (or, in my case, taller-than-MSD-but-not-quite-as-tall-as-SD-so-I-guess-she-would-be-considered-tall-without-being-a-giant) side.

Variety is good :3

16. Definately, I have at least five planned dolls in the 50-55cm size range and short of sculpting them myself (which will never happen xD) I know it's going to be a nightmare trying to find them.
      It seems odd to me having such a range of sizes and this big gap in the middle with next to no dolls O.o

17. Yes! I've been desperately searching for a 50-55cm tall boy body for a character, but of the very few options none have the body type I want. I have a larger doll and have come to the conclusion it's height is just too much, but the 50cm range seems like it would be the perfect manageable size- not too big, and not too small. I can't understand why this potential is so untapped.

I finally gave in and am sculpting him myself, but professional dolls of this size would be so much better.

18. I've been searching for a cheaper 55cm body to go with my Ninodoll head. She looks like a pin head on the SD13 body I got for her. I might have to break down and get the BBB Lotus, but I really don't like the way that body looks.

19. I would love to see 50-55 cm dolls. Currently I'm looking for a boy in that size range. I knows Peaks Woods Fairies of Colors are 58cm but they're al girls.

20. If there were more dolls in 50-55 size there would be more clothes, wigs and shoes in their size to. Since there would be more dolls companies would make more things for them. That's only logical.
      I mean, there are SD sized clothes because there are SD sized dolls.

So, that "problem" people have pointed out most likely wouldn't be a problem if more companies made this middle size dolls. Of course, in the beginning it might be a bit slow. Maybe we are in the beginning of it now?

Personally, I would love more dolls in that size.
      I think MSD sized dolls are too small and look o cute and childlike. I like the elegance and maturity of SD dolls more, But I do think they are so big... Thus, the middle size is perfect for preferences!