1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Would you loan someone your doll or ask to borrow one?

Aug 24, 2008

1. I would loan my dolls out to a friend I trust. I would set a date for them to be back however. Most of my friend have at least one doll or have played with these guys and I trust most of them with them for a bit.

2. I would loan my doll to someone. But only to a select few people. NOT to anybody I would have to mail one of my dolls to though. There is only one person who might be an exception to that rule.

3. It would totally depend on who it was. My friends wouldn't be a problem - especially if they lived near by and were doll people. I have one friend I never met irl that I would lend any of my dolls any time she wanted me to but then again I've known her for 7 - 8 years and love her dearly. You know who you are. LOL

I have actually toyed with the idea to ask Spampy if she'd make some clothes for my tiny Moona if I send the doll to her. That's a bit different though. More like sending a doll out to get a face-up.

Instead my Moona is going to visit a friend who lives in another country but who'll come visit me at Christmas and then she'll bring my Moona back - hopefully with some new clothes. But again that's different because it's for MY sake. But I would lend the same friend one of my dolls if she asked me.

I'm not sure if I would ever ask anyone to lend me a doll. I'd be much more worried something would happen to the doll. I'm not sure I would ever be comfertable with it if the doll had to be shipped to me but perhaps if the owner of the doll lived relatively near by so either the owner or I could bring the doll back and forth. And I would never ever ask someone I didn't know in person.

One thing I know for sure though. I would totally respect that someone felt different about this than I do because it's such a personal thing. People have so different feelings about this and I don't think anyone should feel they had to lend a doll out - or borrow one - out of politeness or because they felt they ought to.

I guess I'd say you have to respect your own feelings. Don't lend out your doll if you're uncomfertable with it.

On the other hand if someone asked me in a very polite way - saying something like: I totally understand if you say no but would you consider lending me your doll? - I wouldn't mind them asking.

Dustbunnie

4. For two specific people, sure! My best friend lives in the same neighborhood as me, and I've watched her dolls while she was out of the state. I would definitely let her do the same.

The other person is someone else who I'm good friends with, who I'm actually planning a doll set with-two family members, and we're each getting one. She lives halfway up the country from me, and you bet I'd send my doll once or twice a year, if we didn't visit each other again that often. Anyone else though? Nope, I can't see it.

5. I would lend them to my best friend of 17 years without a twitch of worry, but not people I've only talked to on the internet. I need to know and trust someone in real life in order to feel comfortable with letting them borrow my dolls.

6. It would really depend on the person! SeNii spent a few days w/ my friend Emily a lil while ago ^^ But I know Emily would be super careful with him, and she knows BJDs herself...so it's all good.

7. it depends on who was asking (and which doll of course)
      One of my dolls is on a pretty strict "no touch without express permission" basis. That doll I don't think I could lend out to anyone (except maybe 2 or 3 people I trust)..and if I did let someone borrow him it wouldn't be for very long..maybe a couple days at most.

The others would still depend on the person asking, but I'm more relaxed about who is playing with them or what they are doing..so I'd be more likely to let people borrow those dolls (still have to be trusted people of course)

8. I guess it would depend.
      If I knew said person well,trusted them well,and they knew of said doll's importance to me,(would probabaly end up a fellow collector)then possibly.If they were close enough,I would drop the doll off,as I don't trust the postal service.
      Otherwise,absolutely no way.
      In my case,if I could avoid this,then odds are that I would and just use the measurments that I would have written down somewhere.

9. As others have said if I knew the person well then yes. If it was one of my good friends who I've known for years and they live close by, (close enough for me to hunt them down if anything happens to my doll! :lol: ) then yes I'd lend my doll. None of my friends are doll people though, so it hasn't come up yet!

10. Yes and Yes. I borrowed (and still have) a doll from a friend last month. I don't really count her as still borrowed as said friend moved in here about 2 weeks after I borrowed the doll, though. And I'll continue to borrow her dolls to make stuff until I have at least one male, and one female for myself, as well as borrowing hers that are in the larger and smaller sizes than the dolls I intend to collect myself. So, yeah, I've borrowed from someone else.

I'd be happy to loan my doll to someone else so they could make things for that sculpt or something so long as they lived near enough that we were trading off who has the doll in person. I see no reason not to, honestly. And for all those 'what if something happens between you and said friend?' people? Well, I've no issue with friends that I might have a falling out with (most of those I still have I've had for YEARS, since high-school or junior-high, honestly...with some of them that's 12-13 years!) having to sign and date a typed note stating that they are borrowing said doll, alongside with me, and having spaces for both of us to sign and date once the doll is returned. Then, if something happens, I have some form of proof that said doll is MINE, and they are meant to return it, that would hold up in small claims court. I rarely have falling outs with friends though...I'm one of those people who stays friends with you unless you REALLY mess up with doing something to me specifically, or you do something REALLY nasty to someone I care about more than you (like my sisters, husband, or son right now) and instead wind up losing touch off and on for years due to one or the other of us moving and things. I've a few friends I regularly hear from 1-2 times a year if I'm lucky, but they are still my friends, no falling outs with them. Thinking of that...if I loaned a doll to someone who lived close by, and then found out they were moving, I'd likely demand my doll back BEFORE they moved if they were moving away...

11. I don't think I could loan my dolls out :\ (lawl I'm saying this and mine hasn't even come yet) As far as borrowing, I wouldn't dream of doing that either. If I wanted measurements, I'd ask if I could gently handle the doll while the owner watched on until I was done, but I wouldn't borrow it.

12. I would only loan my doll to.. lets see... two people in this whole world, simply because I trust them.

One would be my best friend, rykaan, who also collects dolls. The only reason I'd be loaning them to her would be for dolly visits, or maybe a faceup.

The other would be my friend Codi, simply because she's interested in collecting too - and I trust her very much.

Otherwise.. hell no.

13. It would depend on the person. :) Have to be somebody I trust and know well.

14. Well, it's a complicated matter. The shorter version of my answer would be: No.

The longer version would be: it really would depend.

Mostly, the only person I would ever loan/lend my doll to would have to be a very very very close friend whom I knew and whom would have no troubles lending me one in turn. It would have to be someone I know would take excellent care of my doll, as one should always with someone else's property. Someone who lived close to me- because I would never ship one away.

More than likely, I would hardly loan or lend it for very long, a day would already be too long- but I would have no problems lending it temporarily as long as I'm present with the person and the doll all the time.

Of course, because I'm like this, I wouldn't expect someone to loan/lend me a doll either.

15. I would never loan anyone my doll. Friend or not. They are my resinites and I paid for them. Even if I want a speical swanky outfit made. I'd go over to their house or have them come to mine. I'd bring my doll with me and if it took a few days for the outfit to be made I'd leave WITH my doll and go back when I could with my doll. I understand you are supposed to trust friends but I just don't after my Ex ruined a plushie that I had lent him. Actually I take back not loaning anyone my doll. There's four people I might loan one of them to. Hominivorax, Dizziness, Sour_Dotz, and my best friend who also collects BJD's. The reason being is because I know those four people I guess you could say fairly well. Not only that, they live close to me. So that's why I could trust them. I know I could find them and get them back.

As for asking to borrow a doll...well, I might if I wanted to make some jewlery to scale with that particular mold. But, seeing as I have three dolls that vairy in ranges I don't need to. I also eye ball a lot of the stuff and use measurements provided on websites. I don't think I'd personally feel comfortable with someone else's doll in my house without their owner being there with me.

16. I'm not one to ask to borrow things, because I'm quite absentminded and I would have a very hard time getting it back on time. :sweat I feel it's better to avoid that problem all together, in my case. I'll make do in some manner.

Loaning a doll would be a bit of a different story. I can think of only a couple of people I'd want to loan a doll to and they know who they are. ;) But I surely won't just loan a doll to anybody off of the street - I've invested too much into them to risk them not coming home.

17. I've loaned Hiroshi out to three different people for that reason (all of them lived Out-Of-Town), with the times ranging from as little as two weeks, to 3 months.
      Of the three I've loaned him to (I refer to it as him "going on tour," since he is a singer LOL), there was only one I didn't know for more than four years (In fact, I'd only known her for a few weeks at most), yet the experience was delightful. She sent pictures, etc, and it was really interesting to see how a doll could change in someone else's hands, yet be the same as soon as he came back.

18. I never would plain and simple. Most of my dolls are limited and I could never put them in an uncertain situation.

19. For me, it would depend on the person. There are a few people I would not mind lending my dolls to, but they're all people know from various meets, so they're people I could hand my guys off to in person. If I had to mail one of my guys to someone, no way would I send them one of my boys, unless I knew and trusted them verrry well or (maybe) if they were making me a super special on of kind outfit that absolutely required the doll it was for to be there for fitting. It isn't actually the people I don't trust so much as the post, so I'm very wary of sending anything, much less one of my dolls. As for borrowing a doll, I don't think I would. I wouldn't want to be responsible for anyone else's doll.

20. I only have two people I trust enough, and they are both out of state. I've sent my dolls to one for clothing and faceups and when she sent one of my dolls back she sent hers so they could visit. I've never borrowed a doll to make clothing, etc.