1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Would you loan someone your doll or ask to borrow one?

Aug 24, 2008

1. If I knew the person and could be there with my doll. I don't think I'd leave them there though. I could never ask anyone to do this either, I couldn't even concieve someone handing over their doll to me! Let alone me being totally responsible for it! As sure as you have it something would happen. Knowing me my dogs would come upstairs (even though they aren't allowed up here) and DOOM would strike or something.

~Chaos :daisy

2. I've left several of my dolls at a friend's place for a couple of months because I was moving and because of difficult travel circumstances I just came to pick them up later on no problem. For me, I trusted this person to take care of my dolls because I saw how well she took care of hers and there was much less risk of damage to my dolls if I took them to her place by train instead of trying to manage my whole collection by domestic airline flight.

3. Friends I know to be extremely trustworthy... yes. And those are the only people. Friends that are just regular trustworthy, no, but ones that are the most trustworthy of them all.

4. I don't have any dolly friends but no.... unless.... no. Unless they sign a waiver to pay back any damages that occur to the doll. lol kidding. But no.

edit: And in terms of me asking someone to borrow their doll: no. I wouldn't dream of it, it'd be kind of embarrassing... unless they were a really good friend.

5. As several have already mentioned, it would definitely depend on the person. People I would trust my life to, I would obviously be able to trust my dolls to. XD (Though, I always joke that no one drives my car but me or Jesus... Maybe I should start applying that joke to BJDs.)

I have several friends who have entrusted their dolls to a friend as a baby-sitting sort of thing, (not quite the same as hosting a doll, I think) who've come away with good experiences. I even had one friend of mine entrust one of her boys to a friend who had never owned, so she could get an idea of what it would be like.

I don't think I'd ever find myself asking to borrow a doll. If I wanted to experiment with clothing, patterns, head-sizing or whatever - meeting up with said friend and his/her boys/girls would be good enough for me. If I didn't trust measurements, I could always measure then. Meeting up and doll-geeking is always fun anyway. :)

6. Trustworthy Doll Person - Yes
      Anyone else - No

I think it would be cool actually xp I don't do anything with my dolls really. It'd be fun to see someone else have an adventure with them.

7. In my case at least, it depends on the situation. There are some people I'd trust with my doll, and hope that they trust me with their doll, but there's also some people *though I have yet to know these people XP* that I would never trust with my doll out of my eyesight

So I guess it's all just depending on the situation, now if it was someone out of state or something, then it'd be an automatic no, but if it were say, a friend of mine that lives down the street and is also here on DoA *didnt wanna give out a screenname just for safety*, I'd trust her with my doll because I know where she lives lol, and I know she'd be just as gentle with my doll as I would be with hers *nodnod*

8. No I dont think I would since i have no friends that are into bjds none would ask...

9. ^that. I often forget about things-I'm an out of sight out of mind kind of person- so it'd probably be quite difficult for me to remember to take pictures, ship it back, etc etc. If someone in my area was going away and wanted me to doll sit I'd do that because they have a set time when they're coming back!

Lending out: no. Never. As sad as it sounds I wouldn't even trust my friends to take care of her. It's not that they're bad people or would intentionally do something to her but neither of them own dolls so they might do something accidently that would damage her in some way ^^;

10. Only folks I feel comfortable with. :)
      I've sent my boys off to California, and New York already. :thumbup But, I trusted those people implicitly.
      It's a call you make on your own.

I've also had someone send me a doll body, just so I could have photo story fun with it, and then send it back. ;) Was a blast! :lol:
      But again, there's a lot of trust going on.
      I actually currently have someone else's doll from New York, down here visiting my ranch for photo stories. :wiggle

Me personally? Yeah, have done, am doing, and will continue to do so in the future. I've had a lot of fun with it, and good experiences.

11. I have borrowed dolls before to fit things, but only from people I knew and who trusted me. I have also temporarily traded dolls for the same purpose where I've borrowed a doll, and at the same time left one of mine with the person I borrowed from.

I wouldn't lend a doll to someone I didn't know/hadn't met unless they were prepared to temporarily leave one of their dolls with me.

12. I think only if it were a close friend...REALLY close...and one that could really fathom the value and bond so that they knew how to handle it. I have a few close friends and family members but they don't seem to understand how to handle a $500+ doll. Theres probably only two people I'd lend my doll to right now with no strings attached. Two others I trust but not enough to borrow/lend a doll to.

I haven't out-right asked to borrow a doll before but I think some of my doll friends wouldn't mind letting me if I prove responsible enough.

13. I'd never in a million years mail my kids to someone else, but I have a friend here in the city who makes hats and clothes for them, so she's allowed to borrow them anytime. I think the longest she's had any of them in her care was a week. Because it's her, I don't mind.

14. My friend and I want to do that in the future if we ever live in different states or whatever but I'm still afraid to give my boy away! even if it's just borrowing.
      I kind of am iffy with the mail system even though my mail and packages always comes to be all nice and not broken so...
      I dunno,and I have some dolls planned that require being sent out to do face ups and/or blushing and stuff D:
      ...It's going to suck for me then.

15. I've done it before - I've shipped dolls across the country to hang out with people I'd never met (but who I fully trust), and I've also left dolls with friends in other states for periods of 6 months or more. I missed them, but hey, no problem! It's not a big deal to me, as long as the person is trustworthy.

16. It depends on the person- how well I know them is a huge factor. There's very few people I know and trust enough to let them borrow a doll. Distance is another. I wouldn't ship my doll out, so it would have to be someone nearby. Their environment also plays a role- I know people who I trust very much, but their houses are so messy I feel like it would be very easy for a doll to accidentally get hurt there. That leaves a very tiny handful of people XD

As for hosting a doll, I would be a little reluctant (just because I worry that something might happen to their doll), but if they really wanted me to I would and would probably have a fun time doing it.

17. well my first reaction was NOOOOOOOO WAY.... but after ready everyones responses (all 3 pages... lol) I've decided that she can borrow it but I will have to stress the importance of care etc... towards the doll and how to handle it and if she puts any scratches with pins etc... I WILL have to kill her LOL. Thanks for so much awesome input!!!

edit:

And to add I havent known her for that long but I have seen the ways she handles her porcelain dolls and I'm actually confident she'll be okay :) If not then :roar:

18. A close friend, specially one that lives at a driving distance, I would not mind. However if it someone I just met I would not really allow it.

If I wanted it to be lensed(?) to me I would be very understanding if the other person declined if he/she was in a similar situation (It never hurts to ask)

19. Only with my BJD friends in the area. I lent my Hound to a friend before I sold him so she could make patterns for 70cm dolls and never had a problem with it. I don't think I would ever ask to borrow someone's doll unless I was doing a photostory with them.

20. I have ONE friend who can borrow any of my dolls any ol' time she wants to. She is also a collector and a seamstress to boot. So, in lending, I KNOW I'd get at least one outfit out of it. And I trust her. I can't think of anyone else who would care for any of my kids like I do. If I ever attend a meetup, I'd be pretty antsy when someone else was holding mine, depending on which one I'd taken. LOL