1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Would you loan someone your doll or ask to borrow one?

Aug 24, 2008

1. If it was a friend, then sure. I have borrowed dolls from friends to fit clothes, and also just to play with, and I have lent dolls to friends in return.

But it would have to be someone I know and trust.

2. It really depends,
      if the person is someone I trust with things breakable I might.

In reverse I would not want the worry of borrowing someone elses doll, and asking would seem a bit akward. (But if I was doing a faceup for someone else I would consider it, I would probably still worry a little though and be extra careful.)

3. One if my dolls is currently residing with a friend.... for the past 3 odd years. But it was sort of a security blanket situation that had me passing it over for her to borrow: She'd just sold all her dolls to pay off major school bills, and was pretty down in the dumps about it. I offered to let her play around with one of the dolls I had, and its been doing wonders with letting her still feel connected to the hobby.

Of course, I trust my friend with the doll, so I had no second thoughts about it. Now, if someone on the boards here just out of the blue put up a thread, or PMed me, asking the same, I'd laugh. Hard.

4. Lending: Well, seeing how I've only got one right now, I think not. I'd miss him and be worried all the time.

My situation is, however, an interesting one. If I DID have to leave my boy with someone, and it couldn't for whatever reason be a local doll person (all of whom I trust), I'd leave it with my NON dollie-obsessed friends. Because unlike my dollie-obsessed friends, my other friends seem to understand the concept of $400 = expensive therefore must be careful, whereas the dollie-obsessed one... let's just say I get nervous when she gets within a two-foot radius. Last convention I let my other friends hold him for me when I had to do something without worrying because I knew they'd take care of him. I tried to avoid such situations when the dollie-obsessed friend was around.

As for asking to borrow... I... wouldn't trust myself with someone else's doll. It's not like I'm clumsy or anything, but I don't want to live with the worry that SOMETHING might happen.

5. I would lend it to someone, but it depends on the person. I usually only lend things that can't be broken or isn't very expensive.

I would lend it to a good friend who does understand the importance of the doll towards me and a person who isn't rough or careless. Overall, only to someone I trust. I can't lend him to just anybody. xD

6. lending? umm maybe, but probably not :( id be to worried

borrowing? no i wouldnt have th guts to ask someone, i doubt id even have the guts to ask if i couldt touch or hold their doll let alone borrow it

7. I don't think I'd lend my dolls to anyone. I'd be SO nervous and I'd also miss them a lot.

Borrowing... no. I'd be too psychotic that something bad would happen while it was in my care.

8. I supose it would depend on who asked, to be honest though most of the people I would say yes you probably wouldn't want him :lol

RE the clothes fitting etc though... I have in the past played host to two beautiful coats someone sent me through the post to try on my doll to check the fitting because they didn't have a doll of their own to check it against

I'd tottaly consider doing that again for anyone, its great seeing peoples handy-work up close :)

9. Hmm, it would depend on what she's going at tafe,,, fashion yes/may be,,, but some crazy art project no way! My mind went immediately to the "piss christ" - remember when that was in the news???

If she's trust worthy enough to swap in the first place, if something does go wrong and something breaks then you could swap.

10. I'd loan one of my guys to someone if the following three conditions applied:

+ They were an IRL friend I'd known long enough to really trust.
      + They were a fellow doll-owner (so I'd know they knew how to take care of them)
      + The loan would only last for a week or two -- I'm such a possessive thing over my guys, I miss them like crazy when they're not with me :sweat

I don't think I'd ever ask to borrow someone else's doll, though - I've got my hands full enough with all my lot!

11. I can and have leant my dolls to my friends, but never EVER to a complete stranger. As it stands atm, of my entire collection of something shy of 20, I have 7 in my house, and 1 that I'm watching for a friend. Everyone else is out at freinds houses probably having a great time!

I'm in a group of very close, trusting doll friends, lending between us is common and lasts for a long time, often it's the only way to ensure that a certain doll isn't just sat in it's box for months at a time. For instance;

I've had my friends shiwoo for nearly a year.
      A friend in the states has had my robel and lishe for nigh on 3 months, and soon I'll have her archenar and nanu for 3 months when my two get sent back.
      My best friend has one of my mnf shiwoos on permanant loan, and my okja, bao and bin until next month.
      Another friend has my ryeon and elf pepe till next month.
      And my kid sister has had my lati green for probably over a year now.

I think, overall, provided you have a good level of trust between you, loaning can be a great way to experience sculpts and companies that you might never have seen before as well as providing a bit of creative inspiration to everyone involved!

Just...ya know...make REALLY sure you know where your dolls are going!

12. I almost agree with Xi-feng, except I know I could let my dolls go for a little bit more.

In fact, when I go on holidays and nobody is home, I prefer to loan my dolls to my IRL doll friends (who I trust faithfully) to avoid an accident.

13. It really depends on who is asking. Last week, when my friend was visiting me, she asked if she could borrow one of my dolls for some photos to a contest and of course she could.
      Other than that I wouldn't.

14. I do lend my dolls out (and borrow from others) :) I've currently got one of my friend's dolls while she has one of mine :lol:
      As long as I think I can trust the person not to damage my doll, I'm happy to lend them out :sweat

15. My younger cousin always lets me borrow clothes and one day when she was over she borrowed Ren for a model for her dress she was making for an MSD size.

But I've only got to "borrow" dolls by watching or holding them at meet-ups.

But if I had a really good friend that I trusted I wouldn't mind letting them keep Ren if I had to go someplace and I would surely do the same. :)

16. That really depends on the person who asked I think. If it was my sister(who are the only other doll-person in my life at the moment) I would have borrowed my doll to her in a heartbeat. Anyone else I would be more skeptic about- especially if the person lived far away and there had to be mailing involved:|

But a close friend or my sister, yeah I would have borrowed her my doll;)

17. It would depend on who was asking to borrow my dolls and why. Even with my non-BJD dolls. I'm pretty protective of my dolls so it would have to be a good friend for me to say yes. There are a few of my friends that I'd lend my dolls to but I don't know that they would ask me. They know I can get obsessively crazy about that sort of thing ^_^

18. Yep---- only if

1- theyre related and know how much my dolls mean to me
      2- real life friends with the same conditions
      3- not too long of a borrowing time

19. I already have with nearly all of them (You know who you are) xD But I would only lend them out to people I have actually met in person and who I know I can trust to take care of them well.

20. I wouldn't ask to borrow one but I've had my dolls visit my friend's place. So I'm willing to have them visit a friend I trust.