1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Would you loan someone your doll or ask to borrow one?

Aug 24, 2008

1. As othrs have said, it depends on who is asking. There are several really close friends I have in the S. Cal group who I would happily loan a doll to as a fit model. Conversely, they'd be happy to loan dolls to me for the same reason. We have all done it more than once and I have no problem with doing it.

On the other hand, if someone is out of the area, even if they are a close friend, I would hesitate, just because of things like shipping etc.

With the general doll public at large, I wouldn't do it.

2. For a nearby friend (who is careful with delicate things), sure, no problem. But I wouldn't ship someone a doll to borrow, and certainly wouldn't loan to someone I don't know.

3. In general, I'd say no.

I'll hand my guys to just about anyone who asks to see them at doll meets... and I have a few trusted friends here in town who have hosted members of my crew (and whose dolls I've had over here in turn-)... But by-and-large, I'd just be too wary of something happening to them to loan them out elsewhere, especially to someone who wasn't local. I don't like trusting my guys to the USPS' care either. :|

4. Never! I'm clumsy and my luck I would drop the poor thing.

5. I wouldn't mind holding onto someone's doll if they really needed me to, but I wouldn't ask "Hey, mind if I borrow your doll for a month or so?"

I also wouldn't lend my dolls out to anyone.... not even people I see every day. I know my friends would treat them well, but... I'm not sure if they'd take care of them as well as I do, so I'd be worried the entire time. (That, and a friend I let borrow a cosplay of mine in MAY has still not given it back, so...)

6. I think that you would have to trust the person alot. I've had my BFF's Shall for over a month, mostly because she's been moving, and she didn't want her to get damaged, but also because I wanted to make clothes. She's just chilling with the horde.

If she wanted to borrow any of my boys to make something (she has in the past) I definitely would let her. But that's mostly because she knows how to treat a doll, and wouldn't do anything that might jeopardize one's safety.

7. I have loaned a friend a body and only because it's a friend I trust implicitely. She is about the only one I'd loan any dolls too.

8. After a fairly bad experience, I will NEVER leave my dolls alone with non-doll people. Sure, my doll only suffered a slightly crushed eyelash, but the lack of care taken with my hardest-to-replace doll really got to me. I still don't think I've forgiven those friends fully >.< I think the only non-doll person I'd lend to now would be my sister, since she takes insanely good care of her things and understands how much they're worth (and the meaning of "limited", "don't touch the face" and "don't leave her face-first on the floor in a place where people could easily step on her"...ARGH. Nope, I'm never going to be over it).

Lending any of them to a fellow local doll person, though - it would really depend on who it was. Some people I would trust implicitly, others just...no. If they want to borrow my doll briefly at a meet to fit something, then I usually have no problem with that at all (I've done that ^_^)

I don't know how comfortable I would be with borrowing someone else's doll. I think I'd rather just use the measurements on the website and run with it. I'm careful with my own dolls, and I'd be even more careful with someone else's, but I still don't think I'd trust myself.

9. Like everyone else "it depends". =P If it's a friend across the street, sure. A friend from another suburb - maybe. A friend from another state - I don't think so. =( Of course, I have to really know the person and know for sure that they are a responsible person.

I wouldn't ask to borrow someone else's doll though, because I know how precious something that expensive can be. ^^;

10. I think if a friend asked me to borrow my doll I wouldn't let them. A doll, to me, is an expensive and emotionally-loaded item that I wouldn't feel happy letting out of my sight, even if it was to a friend's house.

If they wanted to make specific doll clothes, I'd be happy enough to bring the doll over to visit so they can make measurements and test pieces on the doll, but I don't know whether I'd be happy to have the doll 'sleep over' for any period of time, particularly if the friend has small siblings or pets.

11. i'll never let anyone borrow my dolls since they are precious to me and yeah if they wanted to do something like measurements and such they could do it with me around coz 'sleepover' who knows what they would do behind ur back... not that i dont trust my friends and all but sometimes i dont trust me as well but i feel much safer if they're with me or at home just sitting on their couch and neither would i wanna borrow from anyone their dolls i have mine and i wouldnt feel save borrowing other ppl's doll but if someone wants me to take care of it for like awhile since she/he has something to do or too busy to look after it gone on holidays as such i would be glade to look after it (that shows that my frens trust me)

12. Actually, someone I know offered to lend me one of their dolls, for no reason deeper than I'd just become really interested in bjds in general. I was really, really touched ^^

13. Generally, no. The ONLY exception being my best friend who's also into BJDs. I know she loves my resin kids just as much as I love hers! As a matter of fact, she's got my Beryl right now and is doing her blushing and face up. I don't think I'd even send a doll off for a face up for fear of being lost in the mail.

14. I don't think I would let a non-dolly person borrow my boy. Even then I would be wary about borrowing through shipping him somewhere. At least if they were nearby I could be like "hey I'm taking my dolly back now..." where with overseas or cross country you wouldn't have any control of that.

15. I don't lend dolls and I would never ask to borrow dolls either. If I wanted to make an outfit for a doll that I had on layby I'd ask for measurements.

16. Only if I know the person in person and they live nearby, yes. And not because I wouldn't trust someone through the internet, but because I'm VERY paranoid and nervous. I'm just naturally cautious, and the trip the doll makes in it's box after I buy it is enough for me @_@

17. theoretically, I really would like to bond with a friends doll, and for them to bond with mine.

18. No... I don't really see a reason to, quite honestly.

For instance, I think it's cute when I run across a photostory that features a doll who is "visiting" that belongs to someone else. In that case, these two people are friends and trust each other and seem to be roleplaying some sort of relationship between their dolls so that, to me, counts as a "reason" to be doll lending.

I wouldn't have such a reason. No reason to lend a doll, no reason for someone else to ask to borrow it. So they stay with me.

I'd only ever make an exception for my boyfriend. But, at the same time, all they'd do at his apartment would be to sit around so why bother? They can do that here.

19. Some of my dolls stayed with Eleniel for a few weeks when I went on vacation.
      I am sure they had a good time with Toshi
      :)