1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Would you loan someone your doll or ask to borrow one?

Aug 24, 2008

1. Don't you mean you "Know" they had a good time with Toshi? ;)

2. I wouldn't hesitate to lend my best friend one of my dolls, as I know they would get the same quality of care with her as with me, and I know I would get them back. We are in fact intending to share a pair of dolls. I'm going to buy Shuichi (my character) and she's going to buy Richi (her character) and then we're going to co-own them, because they should never be separated. They're from a roleplay she and I did in high school and early college, and more recently a re-telling (an AU). They're so in love that I know they would just be miserable apart. So we'll probably do a six month rotation with them, give or take depending on how often we can meet up to exchange (because sending them would be a last resort). I'm fairly sure I'll be sending Shuichi doll straight to her from the company because she'll do his faceup anyway, so they'll be together from the very beginning. X3

3. I wouldn't let anybody I don't know borrow my doll. I definitely wouldn't ship my doll out of the city.

4. I got to borrow Ayumi-chan's DOI Luke for a whole week. She said she didn't mind because she knew I was responsible and a 'doll person', thus capable of properly taking care of him. I really loved the opportunity to spend more than a few hours with a doll, and he was hardly out of my sight the entire week.

I would definitely lend out my doll if I knew the person would take good care of it. I would have to wait until I had more than one I think, I'd be very lonely if my only doll disappeared, even for a short time. :)

5. I would never ask anyone to loan me their doll! :o
      I would proly ask them,"hey can you come over and let me measure your doll for my dolls upcoming outfit?"
      Thats more polite cuz then they can have a say in what happens and they're still around the doll.
      Besides I would worry to much if I lent someone my doll...:)

6. I don't think I would ever be able to loan one of my boys out - I don't think I would be able to sleep. I'd worry waaaaay too much. *_* I don't mind letting people I trust handle them and such while I'm around, but I'm the type of person who gets fidgety just sending a head out for a new face-up... Lol.
      -V

7. The only person I would EVER let hold on to my doll without me there would be a good friend of mine who's offered to sew for them should she need the body there. She's also been into dolls for a long time and I know she'd take care of them.

8. I would only give my boy up to someone that I know well enough and that I can trust.

9. I don't think I could sleep knowing another person had my doll, whether one house or a thousand miles away.

But, I'm also a very paranoid person. And my selection of 'close friends' is limited.

As for taking care of someone elses doll? I don't know if I could do that. I respect other peoples stuff, and am VERY careful with things that don't belong to me... But I just don't think I could handle the worry. :'D

10. depends on who it was. two of the people with whom i'd trust my dolls... are my housemates and are fellow collectors. we very often leave each others dolls with one another.

besides that... well, there are a few here in the valley, and a couple in FL, but... in general, i'd really have to know and trust the person.

i HAVE, however, asked to borrow people's dolls for sizing and such, and again, i will only ask to borrow the dolls of people with whom i would trust my dolls in return. it's only fair.

11. Yes, I've lent out parts of them, for repairs... But I am fortunate that I have several friends who just like to let me play with their toys. Several of my local friends have let their dolls stay for a week or a month or even longer, to let me do photoshoots with them. These are friends who don't do many gallery photos themselves (if ever), but who have excellent dolls that should really be shown-off. So they're happy enough to let me do the flaunting for them. ^^

But there have also been non-local visitors: One time, the fearless Aernath shipped two of her boys to me on an exchange-program. These were two tan Iplehouse limiteds, no less! She said they could use a change of scenery from south Florida, so I took them on a photo-scavenger-hunt walking tour of San Francisco. It had been something I'd merely mentioned in passing once, but then one day suddenly she called my bluff & there were these two dolls in the mail demanding to be taken on adventures. There are people who feel brave taking their dolls out of the cabinet, and there are people who feel brave taking their dolls out of the house, and then there are those who mail their dolls across the country unnanounced. :fangirl: I'm Aernath's biggest fan.

12. The person barrowing would have to be a very good friend and even then I don't think I would let the person barrow my dolls.
      As for me barrowing a doll, I wouldn't need to, I have my own.

13. i dont even have my doll and i dont think id rest easy with someone borrowing my doll, even if i trusted them with anything else. (unless it was someone with BJD's who knew exactly how to handle them)

and i dont think id ever have the courage to ask someone if i could borrow their doll, i dont think i'd want to anyways cuz of the guilt i'd carry if even the smallest thing went wrong.

14. I'd loan out my kids to people I trust will not harm them nor hurt them in any way. My friend Noriko wants to get into BJDs, but she's on a fixed income and can't afford to have one, so I loaned miniRyuchi to her.

Right now, miniRyuichi's down in Cincinatti with Noriko, and I have K-san's 07 Na Nu Ri head until I find a Shiwoo head for Ryuichi-doll, so hai, I'd loan out my kids.

MiniRyuichi's gonna come back SO spoiled! :sweat

Now to find a head for Ryuichi-doll...

Ryuichi

15. Hehe... I must be one of the ones slightly off the rocker cuz I sent out my very dear doll to a seamstress I only ever talked to online. :) It's a large part of good faith on my part but even without, I believe she will take very good care of her.

And I find myself strange because I'm anal to the extent that I feel antsy about a close friend handling them but would lend them someone that I don't really know in another country thousands of miles away just because they know the basics of doll care. :?

16. I would loan my dolls out, and have! And I actually am right now. A friend of mine fell in love with one of my dolls, so when I visited her house the next time, I brought him with me, and she has been babysitting him ever since (she even named him!). ^^; And two other people have kept dolls of mine for a period of time (one to make a boob mod, the other to make clothes and faceup for)... so, yeah. I wouldn't just give my doll away freely to anyone, but only those I trust. ^^

17. I would NEVER let anyone borrow a doll of mine (I don't have any yet though) or anything expensive for that matter. In the past, I have loaned out things that have either been returned damaged or not returned at all and this would make me very pissed. I have confronted those who have damaged these items and this has resulted in indifference on their part and a lack of either friendship or trust (or both in some cases).

That said, I would be so hesitant to let someone borrow my doll. However, If someone wanted to use a doll for measurements, I would let them visit/bring the doll to them/etc.

On the other side of the question, I would never ask to borrow someone else's doll. I would feel awful if it were to become damaged while I have it.

18. Yes, it depends very much on the person. For example, I would never hesitate to loan my doll to my closest BJD-collecting friends if they asked. I'm always a little scared of taking care of others dolls though since I'm rather clumsy and really scared of causing them any damage. ^_^;

19. Depending on how well I know the person, I might loan someone a doll, but they'd have to be a dolly person who knows how to treat them. Though I might loan a doll I might never ask to borrow one. I'd be too afraid of something bad happening (I'm paranoid like that).

20. I don't think I could let anyone lend my doll (when I actually get him). I'd be up all night thinking they'd lose him, or break him. It's like letting someone take my dogs, I just wouldn't do it.