1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Would you loan someone your doll or ask to borrow one?

Aug 24, 2008

1. I would if it was a doll collecting Close friend. I do have a friend who is Getting an SD soon who will be part of a roleplay family made half of my characters and half of his. i Suspect there will be a bit of lending and borrowing between the two of us in the future but i trust him.

2. I agree with most of you i would only leave them with some one i trust, my best mate who up until the london expo had no clue how to hold a doll, she could look after mine coz she was ultra careful even befor i told her how much she had cost me! and my family, they would be okay, and other BJD owners i guess coz you all know how to look after them but and one else NO way!

3. I would only let them use the doll on the agreement that:

1. I bring the doll over

2. It is never out of my site

3. Doll leaves with me afterward

Most of my friends have children and although I trust my friends completely, I don't trust their kids. At all.

4. Ask to borrow my kidney or spleen first. Your chances would be better.

But seriously...if it could somehow save a life, then I would loan a doll. But anything less urgent...I would have to decline with grace.

5. I think i would as long as I was close tot he person and if they lived close by. ^^ But if its too far away, its too big a hassle. @_@

6. I think I'd let someone borrow/play with my dolls as long as I was there to see it and make sure everything went smoothly. I feel the same way about my car too though. XD

7. I have never had good luck with loaning anything to anyone and getting it back or getting it back in the same condition that it left in. So I would be very hesitant to loan my dolls, but sometimes things are necessary and the person is really a good friend who I know very well. So I guess my answer is "maybe" -- unfortunately that's not too specific.

8. Agreeing with most people on this; I think it depends on who is asking.

My best friend, who lives in Washington state (I live in Maine) currently has my only doll; I think that she has had her for at least three months, now. But I trust her completely with my girl. And sometime within the next two weeks, she'll be sending mine back along with her girl, for an extended vacation. :)

But if it were someone I didn't know in real life, I'd probably pass. I'd be so scared that I'd never hear from them again!

9. I probably wouldn't ship my doll out. But if my BFFF (Ashael) asked, I would drop him off. I've baby sitted her old doll Hart before she sold him, and I would ask her to do the same if I was going some place...

10. I think I am fine with it if I know the person really well. For me, everything depends on how well I know, and trust them...

11. I would lend my dolls to my closest friend and that's about it. I trust her fully with my things so my dolls would be no diffrent. I know I've had to take someone's dolls for a weekend before and they were unharmed but I know I would not have borrowed her dolls unless she trusted me. Personally I don't think I would lend my dolls to just anyone because you don't know if they are going to steal them or give them back damaged.

12. I had my friends' entire doll collection at my house one week while she went on holiday. A total of about six dolls. I enjoyed having them, and feel priveliged that she trusts me enough to look after them. :)

I gave my Elf Lishe to my best friend to look after for a while, and she had her for a few months! But then, I would trust her with my life, so... ;)

13. Honestly it depends on which of my dolls the friend asked to borrow and which friend was asking. I've let one of my friends borrow a doll a couple of times, but just the same doll each time. A lot of my characters don't separate very well, and I'm not so keen on letting people borrow pairs of my dolls .__.;

14. It really depends on the person. A close friend? Sure. Someone I don't know? Definitely not.

15. If it were another person with Dolls that I strongly trusted, yes. I have also allowed one of my closest friends to 'dollsit' Dhaunnar when I went to an Art show he could not attend.

16. I see no point. If I want to do clothes, I can invite my friend with doll, take all measures, do a pattern and wave them good-bye several hours later. You honestly don't need borrowing for something as trifle as clothes. If reversed, I can go visiting with my doll to lend it for measure taking, but lend it? Again, i see no point.

On more general scale. I'm very active in playing (interacting, more like it) with all my dolls, so I don't want part with them - for no one. No lending. Also, I have no such acute interest in someone's dolls to borrow them. Visiting or meet-ups are great, but nothing more.
      The only exception - if I'm going for a vacation I can give my dolls to one of my doll-friends for that period. Why not? I sure have no use for them 600 miles away, and I can't take them all even if I wanted. And I can take dolls of a friend who are going somewhere. But i don't see these occasions as lending or borrowing, really. More like keeping.

17. my dolls go and stay with freinds all the time. whether it be for them to make things or just to play with for a while. it doesn't/wouldn't bother me in the least.

car349 often has one or more of resins at her place. more often than not actually. heck we even plan to go in together on a minimee doll. (i have a puki, 2 face plates, and a body at her place right now XD. though usually it's keiran, and cas over there. though once the whole horde got left at her place for about a month due to a bad storm.)

my second doll spent alot of time with my freind rachel. he even stayed with her for like a month while i was out of town. she didn't even own a doll or have any plans to. she just liked him.

now i prefer not to borrow most of the time some of my freinds dolls because i know how hard it is for us to meet up and get the dolls back in a timely manner. not all are like me and can be have one be off for a month. (now saying that i do have my friends msd and her husbands over here right now getting them fixed up, but that's an extended project.)

if i need to make something i bring the stuff with me to their place and do a mock up hand stitch over there bring the stuff home and sew it. no need to keep the doll in my opinion. for a project like that. doesn't take long to baste stitch.

18. I'd probably loan my doll only if that person was someone I knew, was trustworthy, and has experience with dealing and taking care of a BJD before.

If they don't fall under those qualifications, then I rather not loan them a fairly expensive dollfie. XD

19. A couple of my dolls I really wouldn't mind so much, but with Kome, I'd only lend him to someone I really trusted and have known for awhile since I'm a lot more attached to him than I am with my other two dolls (he goes with me almost everywhere and went with me to the hospital a couple times when I had to get a procedure done).

I haven't parted with him yet, save for when I sent his head off for a faceup, but I'm willing to bet I'd miss him a lot. XD Once I get a permanent body for my floating head I'm lending him to a friend for awhile to do body blushing while I take one of her boys in sort of an exchange and photo whore him like mad. That makes me feel a bit better. XD

20. Although, I've never asked anyone to borrow their doll before, I could see asking a friend if I could get measurements of their doll to make an outfit, it doesn't take too long to sketch out a pattern, a few hours tops for most things, but I don't think I'd be comfortable asking to borrow someone's doll unless they were a really close friend.

I would and have lent my Shin to a close friend who's very trusted for her to practice tattooing and face-ups on; although more often than not she's "dollsitting" because my younger cousins are staying overnight at the house and the only place for them to sleep is my room. (And I don't trust them with a stuffed animal, so a BJD is way out of line for them to be around.)