1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Would you sell a doll you're really bonded to?

Jun 13, 2008

1. I'm in a situation right now where I'm selling off previous collections (my little pony, barbie, bratz etc...) for money because they hold less personal significance to me now. My core group of BJDs are, for lack of a better term, family. I have considered it when things were dire, but I just could not bring myself to do it. There's a couple of dolls I would sell that I didn't bond with, but that's a different case.

2. Isabeau is the only doll I am completely bonded to. I have other dolls I will rehome someday but I know to whom they go...(ya know if I die) but I want to share my eternal sleep with my Izzy.
      She is my first, my fave and her charactor is most like me.
      I might sell off every other doll but she will be with me forever.

3. Well I am happy to read your edit but I will also answer your queston.

I think that if I was a situation like yours I would do the same thing. I'd sell my doll/loan it to my friend for a period of time and pay my bills then buy him back later. I don't want to say selling my doll is a first resort but its definitly not my last at any means. But in situation where I'm in debt and need the money, I think I would just loan it. I couldn't bare never to play with my first doll again, I love my doll way too much to do that. Thank goodness I know a couple of friends around these parts that would understand the situation. But I would do exactly what you did.

4. I've faced this situation a lot, and it never gets any easier. The only doll I own that I could sell (not being damaged) is my first boy, and despite being an LE from Dollmore, his mold wasn't that popular. I'd only sell him as a last resort, but I know he wouldn't go for much or fast on the market, so I'd still miss out on paying my bills.

It's never easy.

5. It is wise to look at the reality. Although it also is very true that dolls are quite human like feel like family, legal action is srs problem. I will sell him for now, and get same model later.

6. I'm not sure if I'd be able to unless I really owed so much that selling other things still couldn't pay it off.....but I still don't know if I'd be able to sell her, so I would probably try to do the same thing you did.

7. I could never sell a doll i've bonded with any more than I could sell part of myself. There is only one doll I have sold to date because I just didn't bond with her so i thought it better for both our sakes that she should go to an owner who would really appreciate her.

Just to add, the only reason I have such strong feelings about this is due to the stage of life I'm at.. I have been in a position in the past, almost a decade ago, where I have had to loose many beloved possessions (no dolls were involved but other collectibles I had a strong connection to) due to financial crisis and some of the regret that has surrounded those losses has made me promise never to find myself in a position where I will need to do that again. However, I am aware that it was something I needed to do at the time at it got me through a tough patch.

If it is something you ever need to do to get by you do forgive yourself eventually, but you never outlive your regret.

8. while i don't think i could/would ever sell a doll i loved, i feel i should tell you that there is no such thing as a "debtors prison" Unless it was a personal loan of a substantial some, they usually can't touch you for it.

here's an article about it actually: http://credit.about.com/b/2009/05/08/debt-collectors-cant-put-you-in-jail-for-debt.htm
      i hope it helps if your ever in such a pinch again. If they are threatening to put you in jail i'd look up the laws in your state, and start reporting these people.

i'm glad things are turning up for you!

9. Not unless I absolutely HAD to. Then I'd probably just sell their body and buy another one later.

10. I personally would sell everything else in my house before I sold a doll I love. I'm really bad about selling any of my beloved stuff away no matter how much I need the money.

11. I certainly would. Real life issues like that just come before dolls.
      However, I could probably buy them back later with no trouble, since I don't own any 'real' limited dolls. I only have one where it might be a teensy bit harder to replace him later, but there'd still be the option of at least keeping his head and just selling the body.