1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Would you sell a doll you're really bonded to?

Jun 13, 2008

1. Simply put: Never! I love Lily way to much to ever think of selling her.

2. If i'll be in a situation like yours even if i do not wish to sells my fav doll for sure i'll go for it,if i have no choice...
      the bests advice ever:
      MONEY AND FRIENDS DO NOT MATCH EVER
      :doh

3. I really feel for you because I'm in a bit of a tight money situation myself....My dad keeps telling me I should sell my first doll that I've had for 4 years...she's gotten me through a lot and it just makes me cry to even think that. I did buy a second doll at the beginning of the year when I had extra cash saved up for him and while I was waiting for him to arrive I almost had a bad situation. I was contemplating selling him before I'd even gotten him, but he was my dream doll and I decided I could sell books and other things first....I would rather sell my books and figures first. I can get those pretty easy again, but my dolls....I've put a lot into them and it will be hard to do them again this same way. I'd sell them as a last resort only! They are my babies!

4. Hi again Zion,

I would not take your doll to a pawn shop, as you don't have any guarantee where or how your doll would be stored. It might end it being too light, or too hot and cause damage to this specialized collectible. Most pawn shops probably haven't seen a BJD and therfore may not recognize its true value. But this might be a great way to get some quick cash for the gaming console, DVDs, and such, That's actually more along the lines of what I was thinking when I wrote suggesting you try a pawn shop.

Best, Juli DC

5. I would suggest to keep a part of your doll that has great meaning... like his eyes, his head, or a favorite object of your dolly. When you have money again you can buy a body for him.

It is hard, but necessities come first. You need to live somehow.

6. I think I've actually come to a solution for this. Thanks guys ^__^

7. I don't know if I could bare to do it, I get really emotionally attached. I would of course try to sell other things first if possible and if I had a friend willing to buy him/her temporarily that wouldn't be wrong, i would support it. If I had no other choice I would sell, but it would be devistating

8. Credit companies can kick and scream all they like- but you cannot get blood out of a stone. YOu have offered a payment plan- they rejected it. Tough on them. Make small payments regularly (even if it's just $10 a week) and when you get a job in July you can start the repayments up again.

Basically, no credit company can do anything if you pay SOMETHING. Only can they get huffy if you refuse to pay anything. Unless the credit is secured on your property, I'd tell them to stop harassing you and accept the payments you send whether they like it or not. Do not be bullied by them!

Back OT: Don't sell the doll you love so much to pay a silly bill. It's only money. It is not illegal to be in debt. Your doll is something you love and you will regret it later I am sure. Look for other means of paying your bills first.

xxx

9. I'm going to say the exact opposite of everyone else in this thread and say that if I was in debt and needed money ASAP my dolls would probably be the first thing on the chopping block. They're worth a lot of money and I could probably unload them pretty fast, and they hold their value a lot better than electronics, which is the other thing I have that's worth money. I'd rather have no dolls than destroyed credit, but that's me.

10. Although at least two of my crew would be in the "last to go" pile rather than the first, I have to agree in principle.

I wouldn't *like* selling my little resin minions off, but sometimes happy-fun play time has to take a back-seat to real life and adult responsibility.

11. TV, books, games, DS, extra computer monitor, furniture.... Doll would probably be the last thing to go up for sale, if I could avoid it. I've done it before, and over the years I've learned that it's usually a Very Bad Idea to sell things you've become attached to that have a "personality" to you, because as much as you wish, there isn't any real guarantee that you'll be able to get them back in the way they were before.

Of course, this also depends on how many dolls you have. If you have 6 or 7, it might be easier to let go of a couple than if you only have 1 or 2.

12. I have sold a doll I loved very much, but it was to help out my hubby, so she went to a forum member and I was glad she did, it was tough, and she can never be replaced, but I did get another made by the same company and he is never leaving my cold dead hands:lol:

13. I`d rather sell myself than one of my babies. :|

14. I'd sell it to a friend that I trust, but never a stranger

15. I could never sell my dolls! Ever! I know sometimes life is more important, but I just couldnt bare not having them with me. If anything extremely drastic were to happen, and they were my only form of possible income, I'd only go so far as to sell their bodies. Those can be easily replaced, but their faces hold their personalities.

16. I'm actually a bit baffled by what you call a 'silly bill'.

"It's only money."

Well... yes. It IS 'only money', but the last time I looked, money's needed in the world we live in to... live.

It's quite 'silly' to pay for things like, oh say groceries and electricity and cars, but not 'silly' to pay for things like... dolls? And get into debt on account of them at times?

I'm not trying to be mean here, but I'm not sure how things like money for food, rent, utilities, other necessary bills are 'silly' compared to material things like... dolls. Yes, I understand the emotional value of [them], but STILL.

In the US, where the OP is, there ARE drastic consequences that can come of not paying your bills on time and defaulting on your bills. I'm not sure if the same penalties apply to the UK so I'll list them here.

If you're late on payments or default on your bills:

- the CC companies strike your credit score, marking you as making late payments or even worse, defaulting on accounts

This lowers your credit score, which UPs your interest rates for both your current credit card and future credit cards. If you're the sort who carries balances, this can HURT and HURT badly. Plus, it can take quite a while to clear up a defaulted record, even if you DO start making timely payments again.

- this lower credit score and strike on your record marks you as a potentially risky person to lend to

And so whether it be a loan for a house, a car, future credit cards (from anywhere), the lender will be much less willing to give you a good payment plan and a lower interest rate.

---

Things like that might not seem important to you when you're younger and not really thinking of long term buying power, but it IS important as saving your credit score now saves you more money in the future.

I agree with what other people have said; given the emotional value of dolls, try and find other ways to make payments, but if you can't make it, sell them.

Those 'silly bills' aren't silly and a future 29.99% APR is NOT something you want to be stuck with.

17. It's not just lending agents and credit card issuers who make judgements based on credit ratings, either...

Job hunting? Many employers credit-check potential new hires before they make a job offer. (Having a decent credit record is considered a good indication of responsibility, and an employe with a lot of debt or credit problems may be more of a risk.)

Need car insurance? Insurance companies will usually check your credit before they issue you a policy, for the same reasons employers do it. And they'll charge you higher rates if you have a bad credit record. If they issue you a policy at all.

Want to rent an apartment? The landlord is likely to run a credit check on you, too, along with getting other references. If your rating falls below a certain level, they won't rent to you.

Credit ratings are more important than you might think. It's wise to be careful about them, because more depends on that record than just getting a credit card or a mortgage loan. :sweat

18. If I found myself in a serious instance of debt and my savings and such wouldn't be enough to make the situation less dire... I would put my dolls up for sale. I'm not sure I'd start with my FAVORITE one(anyway, she's about the least valuable of the bunch! lol)...but if it came down to it, she'd go too. Heck, if I were in a bad financial situation where I didn't have to sell my dolls to get out of it but it did wipe out my savings, I'd probably still put some of my dolls and other belongings (video games, etc.) up for sale to replentish my finances. Can never be too careful of something else unexpected coming up... And I'd rather have one or two less dolls than an empty savings account!

And keep in mind-- I'm poor! I am in college AND living on disability income, but I pay my bills, buy food, pay my tuition without student loans, put some aside for a rainy day, and keep my gas tank filled. I do doll-related transactions when all of these obligations (and any others that arise, i.e. car repairs) have come out of my budget. No matter how much I love a toy, I love having some kind of financial stability more, and to keep it intact, I'd sell one or all if it came to that.

19. Danggit. I forgot about the bit about obtaining things like insurance and jobhunting! Thanks for mentioning it - especially the bit about jobhunting because YES, they DO sometimes check it! And for apartments, they DEFINITELY check it and if you aren't 'qualified', then you need someone to co-sign if they'll rent to you at all in the first place.

*_*

20. I have yet to order my first boy,

But hell would have to freeze over before I ever thought about selling him. ((note:: I don't even believe in hell))

I'm so sorry to hear about your situation :...( I think the other members here have great ideas. You could also apply to some random job you'd have right away, just to tide you over until next month :) I know its a lot harder than that though...but keep an eye out and your head held high. Don't forget your boy close ;)

Good luck!!! My hopes go out to you<3