1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Would you sell a doll you're really bonded to?

Jun 13, 2008

1. Gonna agree with the people who've said to pay the bill.

Dolls are cool, and it's possible to get very bonded to a doll... but you should always put your own welfare and future above that of your inanimate possessions. Your credit rating is actually very important - as a couple others have said, your credit report is the basis for your interest payments and how much money you can borrow when you want to take out loans in the future for things like a car or house. Your future employer may look at it (I look at credit reports pretty often.). If you get sent to collections, that can stay on your credit report for up to 7 years! Yikes! Where will you be in 7 years, and would you want to risk that for a toy?

If I had a major issue, I'd sell a doll if I had to. Though I'm not going to lie - I'd probably cry. :(

2. I agree basically with the "if absolutely necessary to pay a bill" rationale. I'm quite relieved, though, that I have enough years of responsible credit and enough assets (such as cars that are paid for, loans and mortgages significantly paid off, etc.) that I don't have so many worries about either credit reports or where I'll be in 7 years seeing as how I'm basically old anyway. But you never know when some emergency, such as a medical bill that's not all covered by insurance, might pop up on you.

Plus if I got into a position where I really couldn't keep my dolls, such as having to move to a much smaller place or go someplace I couldn't take the dolls (like a nursing home), or if I was just too sick to deal with the dolls, I might want to see the most special dolls go off to good homes so I wouldn't worry about what would happen to them down the road.

3. I definitely would if there was an emergency. No matter how much I love them, I definitely would not put a material object before my well being, financial or otherwise. Although I'd try to do everything else I could before resorting to sell my dolls - if it involved anything like collections or anything else serious they'd go. It'd be really, really heartbreaking but you do have to make some big sacrifices in life to take care of yourself sometimes. :(

Heck, the whole reason one of my dolls is without a body is because of a mechanic bill for my car. :sweat You do what you gotta do.

4. oh dear...indeed this is a hard....thing to do, but my boys, sadly in he type of work and family I have to deal with on a dayly bases, is my only major stress reliever...So i rather hound the collecter to see it my way, then sell of my only sanity to someone who i know and trust, like you say,life does throw cruves ball at you, the type i use hang out with, i rather jump off a cliff then trust them with anything anymore.

5. I think if I had other things I could sell first I would (in my case I'd definitely sell my Pullips and Blythes before I sell my BJDs) but I'm not so super bonded to them that I couldn't sell them. Mine don't really have custom faceups or anything either so they're probably more replaceable than a doll that's been modified and customized. As some have said, it's better not to be in debt and have a poor credit rating- my husband and I are thinking about buying a place of our own sometime in the next couple of years, so that takes precedence over my spending on hobby items like dolls (and lolita clothing, much to my dismay). But then again, I'm not the kind of person who would splurge on a really expensive doll or something when I'm not in a relatively secure financial position. I waited to buy BJDs until I had a job, had a good chunk of money in my bank account, and was financially comfortable. If things turned around, my luxury goods that could fetch money... probably would have to go. :(

6. i never ever get rid of things i'm attached to, be it a doll, a stuffed plush or even a keyring.

if i was in debt, i would sell my car, sell some of my clothes, maybe even sell my doll's clothes, books, DVDs, my TV, my radio, my CD collection,...but i couldn't bring myself to sell any of my plushes or my dolls. it would be the same if i had a dog. i wouldnt be able to give my dog up. i would rather become homeless.

at least if you sold your dolls clothes, you would still have him. he might be naked and wrapped in a towel for a long time but he would love you all the more for not giving him up.

money is money; there's plenty of it in the world. objects that are duplicate like CDs and stereo equipment is expendable. but dolls and items that are part of your personality and your memories are way too valuable to sell.

thats just my personal opinion however...

7. If you have no other options I think that would be a great idea. I hope you get enough money and fast enough by selling your PSP though so it won't be nessesary. I'll keep my fingres crossed for you.

Dustbunnie

8. Oh man...
      My first doll a tanning lishe/ Pixie Ray is my most cherished doll. Yet, because she is a tanned doll and such she cant hold onto to her color well. So I often think about selling her and redoing her tanning by myself and such. I'd rather just keep her and just put away and then redo her.

I'd sell only if I'm replacing that doll. Giving them like a makeover in a round about weird way. My dolls are all characters of mine and not just random creations and such, so its easier to redo them in that way.

9. i say, it may be a difficult choice, but go for it.
      that doll is just an object, and your life come first. don't let an hobby make your life worse.

10. If you are being pursued by bill collectors, your credit rating has probably already been compromised, so if I were you, I would consider going to a consumer credit advocate or counselor to negotiate with these companies. The advocate can work out a payment program that you can afford to pay off these debts and you can keep your doll. Debt is a serious matter, but it is possible to dig your way out. The most important thing at this point is to deal with it, not ignore it, and learn valuable lessons from this experience. You can eventually repair your credit and get on with your life.

11. I hope you get through this difficult time soon! (>_<)
      It's a tough call but I will, like you, try to sell everything else but my first boy :(
      I think first dolls usually have a lot of sentimental value to them~
      I however also agree with the suggestion made to just sell the body first :3

12. I have done this before, with my Midori and my U. I lost my job and I panicked and thought I would really need the cash. It turns out I didn't and I regretted the decision.

I would never sell my beloved dolls of again. Not unless it was life or death or a truley desperate situation.

13. NJ represent . Hehe . ^__^ Sorry .. I don't think it's wrong.. In fact, I have run into a similar situation in the past and had a friend offer to do the same for me. We all do what we need to, to survive.. I would do everything I could not to part with a doll I was so very bonded too.. But if I knew that i would be re-united with him again either through buying him back or having to go through his entire process of buying again-- if I really needed it.. I would have to.

\I wish you the best and easier path.

14. yes i would and I currently am.
      But in my case I have no option but to sell almost all of my dolls...
      I'm only keeping the ones that have a custom face up, cause they would be so hard to get back again.

15. Agreed.

My credit was compromised through Identity Theft... and had I been able to prevent damage to my credit, I would, any way I possibly could. (Granted... it's being repaired... but what a PAIN IN THE BUTT!)

You can prevent damage. Yeah... you love this doll... but honestly, chances are you'll be able to find another one you'll really love when you can afford them again. This is one of those "Bigger Picture" kinds of things.

16. I will sell other stuff first...like costumes...clothes...etc..only if no choice, then I let go of mi doll..

17. I agree about selling the body and keeping the head, because to me it would still be the same doll even on a different body when I could afford one (as a floating head it would be very sad though). I think it would be easier selling something you're attached to in this hobby though because, even though the doll will have a different personality and look for the buyer, you know that something you have placed emotional investment in will still be valued and treated well.

18. If it came down to it, I, too would keep the head and sell the body.

But it would be last resort for me, most definatly.

I'd sell CDs/movies/electronics/clothing. ANYTHING before getting rid of one of my precious boys.

Selling to a friend could end badly, and she could not want to give it back to you. Without a contract, nothing is final. o-o; And if she didn't want to sell it back, you'd have to watch her play with it and feel bad.

I wish you the best and hope it all works out.

19. I wouldn't, my dolls are here to stay...but then I can't envisage a time when I would be so far in debt selling off my assets would be the only thing I could do to keep my head above water. Money worries and debts are very personal, I understand that and I would never, ever judge someone else's choices, but I haven't ever got to a point so far where I was seriously worried about income and paying off debts and I doubt I ever will.

I might be tempted to spend, spend, spend...but my boyfriend really keeps my feet on the ground and so does my family. We actually have some experiences with re-arranging repayment with credit companies* so I wouldn't be ready to sell my dolls just yet. I would probably up my hours at work or find a second job instead.

(*my uncle was in a hideous financial mess a few years back and my dad helped him out with advice and time and got him to a good solicitor who helped him communicate rationally with the companies. It took him a while to pay it all off, but he's now debt free)

20. I dont htink its wrong as long as the friend understands it basically a collatral loan you want You give her your doll to hold and she gives you the money.

If you have a friend that is willing to do that then excellent(and that you trust of course)
      Until then sell everything else that you can!