1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Would you sell a doll you're really bonded to?

Jun 13, 2008

1. I could never sell a doll I bonded to. I get pretty attached to my stuff, such as stuffed animals, and I hardly ever get rid of stuff. I mean, I'd think about all the wonderful times I had with my doll every time I saw someone else with the same sculpt. And I'd think of all the time I put searching for the perfect wig, eyes, and clothes to fit the doll's character. Luckily I'm still a teenager and have my parents to pay for the hard stuff so I don't think I'll have to sell a doll anytime soon.

2. I suppose it all depends on how desperately I need the money, and then only as a last resort, and THEN only if the doll is easily replaceable (as in, a non-limited sculpt that doesn't sell for outrageous prices on the secondhand market).

I've already sold one or two dolls when I needed money, but most of them I'm either too attached to (like Evensong, my Dark Elf Soo, who is my favorite), or are sculpts that I don't feel I'd easily be able to re-buy in the future (Like Ember, my Dark Elf Soo tanning skin, which is discontinued), so I'd never consider selling them.

Of course, unless it's a special color like tan or blue or something, I'd sell just a doll's body, because bodies are usually easily replaceable and don't make a difference to me. I feel the "soul" of a doll is its head. As in, its faceup or features (the exception would be if the body is specially modded to fit the character, as well).

As an example, I sold Lore's (CP Moon's) body about a year ago, but I kept his head. I kept it wrapped nicely out of light as much as possible, so it wouldn't yellow (it's beauty white). After looking around awhile, I finally settled on a new Fairyland feeple body for him just last week, and it arrived two days ago. The body is sculpted nicely and is also about 10cm taller (70cm). It's a lot different from the old CP type 2 body. But as soon as I added the head, Lore was instantly back. His unique faceup, eyes, and wig are what makes him "Lore" to me, no matter what sort of body he's attached to.

Also, due to the fabulous muscles and double-jointing in the legs and arms, he's much improved from before, so I feel I made a great choice in buying him a larger body, even if he'll no longer fit his old clothes (he can just share my Kyle Reese's for awhile). :)

3. Well I think there is nothing I am deadly bonded if I need to pay bills or similar.
      I love them so much but I have to survive too.
      About this, I can't think to give a doll to someone else as a "loan", usually when a doll left my house it is forever. Not cause I don't think to buy again the same kind of doll but cause I am not the person who likes to look behind.
      Maybe I could buy the same mold again, if I really love it, but not the same doll... what is gone, is gone (this is only my personal idea of course).

4. I wouldn't ever sell the dolls I've come to be attached to. I simply couldn't, especially considering pretty much everything revolving around the dolls would have been done by my own hands and the fact they'd mean so much to me.

Besides, quite frankly I wouldn't allow myself to ever become swept up in any sort of debt or anything I couldn't pay for properly. And if, by some magical freak accident I did infact get into some sort of financial conundrum, I would find another way to bring in the money to pay it off. Selling my dolls would simply not be an option.

5. If it was needed, I could probably sell a doll I was bonded to. Although, I was going to sell my DM Isaac, but since he was my first, I just couldn't. I think the situation would have to be desperate if I was going to sell one.

6. Same here. There's no way I can let go my dolls. Once I get them, they stay forever. Plus, I have another things I could sell in case of an emergency.

7. While I'm not going to go so far as to say I would never "allow" myself to become swept up in debt (debt has a nasty way of finding you, whether you like it or not), I've been very careful to use only money for my dolls that is totally and utterly discretionary. Just as you can't resell food you've eaten from a restaurant or a vacation you've taken to Cancun, so are my dolls. I have other options should an emergency arise and can't foresee, except in the direst of emergencies, selling my dolls to cover it.

8. This kind of sums it up for me too, selling my doll is not even an option. I become attached to the whole thing, not just the character. I do understand how people say that they can sell and buy a doll to match who the character becomes, but for me, my boy is who he is. I could buy another Hodoo, but it would not be Kao.

9. Now that I look back, I can say maybe. Sometimes taste just changes with time. : P

10. Probably not. I can't even sell Pullips I'm still only mostly bonded to, despite the fact that they've been ignored for over a year, much less a BJD.

There are some I'm bonded to more than others, and the ones I'm bonded to less have to go first, but I couldn't ever sell my Lishe (Athene), who was my first and I worked so hard to get her after pining after her for two years. I probably couldn't sell Musket (Dollzone WS Yuu), either, because he and I are very bonded.

A lot of this is because, even if I sold my dolls to be financially responsible at some point in life because I lost my job or something, I wouldn't get that much for them, anyway. They aren't rare or hard to find, so selling them wouldn't garner that much money, which hardly seems worth it to me. Selling them might give me one month's rent, if that. Probably less.

Selling something that brings me happiness like they do wouldn't be worth it to me, especially when it wouldn't give me much money, anyway.

I'd rather find other things around my house (DVDs, CDs, books, clothing, jewelry, kitchen stuff, other toys, etc.) that I could sell instead.

11. ;_; I feel so sorry for you. The economy makes it hard to get any kind of job. I think you should try selling off any electronics, books, and DVDs/games first. D: It might take a lot of them, but the doll is more important than a movie/book you have sitting around or a camera/game system you can replace later.

12. I guess the one I bond with the most would be the last to go D:. I would try to sell or get money some other way first n.n;

13. I haven't had to sell any of my dolls that I really bonded with, but if I did, I think I would have such a hard time doing it. Years ago, before I got into BJDs, I collected Barbies. There were some that I would take out of the boxes and just have fun dressing. I bonded to quite a few of them (they had very lovely faces and makeup).

Afterwards, when I had gotten out of Barbie collecting, I considered selling my whole collection. It would have given me quite a chunk of BJD funding, but everytime I looked at them, I always saw the ones that I had bonded with. I couldn't do it, so now they still sit in my room (albeit pretty neglected).

14. Money talks! 10k can buy any of my dolls, no problem. ;) But, I don't think I could sell David for less. He's my :aheartbea . If I die, I want him in my coffin, that sort of :love.

15. I won't lie, part of me would die a little if I had to sell somebody. I'd cry for weeks. I'd probably grieve as though having lost a loved one. A lot of very important people in my young life have departed this earth, so I am very, very sensitive to losing people (even resin people) that I have come to care deeply for. But I would sell. Because, well, perspective, man. This is a hobby. This isn't life. And if it IS life for you, time to get a wide-angle lens on reality.

Though, thinking about selling other stuff is definately where I would go first. No question. I am very lucky to possess some modicum of artistic talent... if I had nothing left to sell I could at least, like, paint murals on kids' bedroom walls or draw pictures of people's pets for extra cash. That's what I would be looking to do before selling my BJDs. Though I'm sure my girlfriend would be like "Quit fooling around, that stupid DOLL is worth $600!!!!" *LOL*

16. Well, I would never sell my dolls. Never. But, in the situation your in, I dont think its that bad an idea truthly, in the situation that your in. I mean, think about it would you rather be out on the streets? or sell your dollfie? And if its just temporary, I dont see a problem with it.

17. I think if the doll isn't an LE, and you're in the sort of bind you're in, then it would be a good idea to sell him. At least until you're in a better financial situation =/

Personally, my doll would be the last to go if I was in some extreme "everything must go!" debt. I have consoles, games, movies, and books that I like, but I'm not attached to them. That, and I can always buy them back later :) So I would sell those before considering selling Mystic. An extra $700 (not even that, because he'd be second-hand) wouldn't be worth my being emo after selling him :(
      I was the same when I was younger and used to play Neopets ^^; I was saving up for a paintbrush, and it was really expensive. I sold most of my stuff, but when I got to the petpets, I couldn't. I'd put them up for auction only to take them down a day later *fail*

So when I'm attached, I'm attached; there's no ripping whatever it is away from me :XD:

18. If I had too I would sell a doll I was bonded too, with the knowledge that I could replace said bjd at a later time.

Some of the dolls I have sold I was very bonded too, especially my first! But it can be easy to rationalize the reasons for selling a "bonded" doll when there is a "better" one waiting in the wings.....

Would I sell a bonded doll due to money issues? I agree with what Krissy stated above-- that my dolls were bought with totally discretionary funds.... so I never have to sell them.

19. No.

Not ever, ever, ever... Bye bye to you fancy little laptop, internet, and cable. Helloooo ramen.

20. If I was really desperate for money I would sell Takeru I think ><;;;

But otherwise I think not.
      Takeru is very precious to me :D