1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Would you sell a doll you're really bonded to?

Jun 13, 2008

1. XO!!
      This is hard. I've thought about it when we're in tight pinches, but I haven't had to resort to it, yet...
      I think.. Hmmmmmm.... I'd be loathe to do it, but I probably would, starting with one of the floating heads I have around... After that, though, it's tough... I've "bonded" with my dolls really tightly. I think I would cry the whole time, LoL. If I were a realist, I'd say, "It's just a doll. I'll buy a new one of the same kind later when I can afford it again." But I'm a dreamer, so I think, "Even if I buy a new one, it won't be the same!"

I'd have to really think about it, and be really desperate, and sell everything else before I resorted to selling my little dolls. :(

2. If the need arose, I could sell them all except my first. Speaking from a practical standpoint, that's a pretty silly sentiment. My Magie is one of my very few standard-edition dolls. I could buy another of her in a heartbeat, and she'd be way less yellow.

However, that one little doll has reached Velveteen Rabbit status in my heart. It would hurt to sell my other dolls, especially my Amakusa and Cristal, but it would hurt more to be in severe debt. But Akiko's on a completely different level than the others. When I got her she awoke a creativity I didn't know I had, and I feel like I'd lose that creativity if I didn't have her.

3. I agree that if the bill collectors are at your door I guess you have to do what you have to do. Sorry for your situation.
      Stella

4. I really don't get why you would... but it seems like a really common thing in this community so maybe I am missing something. I just don't get it at all.

5. I sold my twins because I needed a way to pay for summer courses in college, and I didn't have a long enough time to earn it all from my job, so I sold them. It was only hard losing June, but in the end, school comes first. I kept Doodle because she is my favorite, and I actually like having only one doll now. I can spoil her more :)

6. That's a tough question! My first thought was, "Absolutely not! There are other ways of making money!"... but, I guess if I absolutely COULD NOT find a way to make the money I needed (it also depends on how much was owed)... I'd tried all other possibilities first, though.

7. Is it really going to help that much to sell the doll? Sometimes it is just a minor relief that doesnt really solve the overall problem, and then you would regret the sale. Personally, I wouldnt sell him unless the proceeds would actually pay off something.

8. Jobs come and go, as do all things. Money problems are fleeting. Love your doll and don't ssell him.

They'll have to pry my dolls and boots from my cold dead fingers one day, unless I decide to be buried with them!

:)

9. I do not think it is wrong to have a friend be a temporary boarder for a doll, as long as the agreement is very clear between the two of you and the trust is there both ways.

As for selling one off completely, forever and ever... For one I'd bonded to, that would be really difficult. Probably not. Not unless I was on the road to destroying myself and the people around me, which would be really extreme. But if it got to that point, then no physical object would get in my way of finding a solution, no matter how important.

At that point it would just have to be a matter of priorities, and your own welfare (and those you care about) should be one of your first.

10. I think your friend is right, try find other less important things to sell of first, i think this is a terrible situation for you but is one that could strike any of us at any given time.I hope you can get this sorted out whilst still being be able to keep your boy!

11. I wrote that I never had to sell a doll that I really bonded with... my closest experience was when I was thinking about selling my old Barbie collection.

The dolls bring back some good memories for me, but I haven't touched them in months, and I've really gotten out of Barbie collecting, so this past weekend, I was putting everything together to take photos for eBay. And then I saw the first doll that I bonded to, and I just couldn't do it anymore! She just brings back so many fond memories from years ago for me- I could never imagine packing her in bubble wrap and sending her away.

So, if it came to a BJD, I think my reaction would be even stronger... I would become a peddler selling 99 cent chapsticks to keep them if I had to!

:)

12. I already have. I really adored my Nanuri07 and my El and didn't want to sell them at all. But I had bills and I needed money. *shrugs* Real life will win out in the end. I hope it doesn't happen with my other dolls, but one never knows what may come up.

13. Killian is handsome

14. Personally, I absolutely would not sell a doll that I was truly bonded to unless it were a life or death situation. There are many ways to make money that are a lot less emotionally taxing to me than that. Seriously, I'd work flipping burgers, or since I live in Oregon, pumping gas before I'd sell my dolls! XD

15. nope,something u are to attached to is too hard to part with XD

but for example the aaron i have as a feeler, its hard cos i didn;t play with him and after taking him out of the box, i suddenly fell in love with him again <.<" so just comtemplating i guess XD

16. not unless it was a life and death situation *nodnod

17. Sorry to necro an old thread but just wanted to say that in the end I ended up putting him as collateral for a loan. I sold Minimee heads I had had on the way once they arrived and paid back half the loan. I had no real bond to the heads and wanted my boy so it was no loss. Then I ran into more difficulty and couldn't get the other half out and another friend was kind enough to pay it for me. So now as soon as the situation of ice storms in Kentucky passes my boy will be on his way back.

So yeah I definitely can not sell a doll I am bonded to. I have missed him greatly during this time he's not been here. And hope he arrives to me soon even though right now I am more concerned for my friend's safety.

18. Sincerly, dolls are my friends. I won't sell my friends for money, no matter what. I'd rather starve and even die than this.
      So short answer: NEVER.
      My first doll has yet to come.... I'm a bit scared...and impatient. But I'll never give him away, I'll take him with me in my coffin when I die... :)

19. That really stinks! But I can easily understand where you're coming from as I've had to sell dolls because of real life neccessities. So far I've been able to keep my very favorites but if the economy gets much worse, I may have to part with them too. Afterall, food, clothing, shelter, heat & taxes come before dolls. I know I'll cry a lot if they all have to go though.

If your friend will let you sell her your doll with the option of buying it back, that would be very nice. Otherwise are there any other things you could use to raise the money? Also, if these are credit bills, have you thought of credit counseling/debt relief? They can cut your bills in half & set you up with a reasonable payment plan.

20. I don't think I could, honestly. After saving up the money and putting so much thought and heart into him, I don't think I could.