1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Wow! He/She is sooo small/tall!?? Being surprised by size!

Jun 12, 2012

1. My first was EID and I thought she would be bigger. Or better said more massive. I'm used to dolls having quite chubby bodies and big heads ( I grew up in a Barbie free country) so I expected Carina to have a bigger head and feet.

The same was with my second, a RealPuki - I was surprised how tiny she was. The photos you see are always muuuuch bigger than the dolls :)

Littlefee, Soulkid and Planetdoll Mini didn't surprise me, but a PukiPuki body did recently, I didn't expected it would be so much bigger than a RealPuki. :D

2. I had a pretty good idea of the size of most of my dolls before they came in. However, the one that still gets me sometimes, even to this day is Karl, my 90cm AOD Hale. I didn't expect him to be quite so huge. XD I even mocked up and idea of his height by standing up one of my 1/3 boys and holding a 1/6 doll to his head, but Karl came home and he just seems huge. XD

3. I was surprised with my first (Luts Delf Chiwoo) that he was so slim. My experience of other dolls of that height was much chunkier bodies and I think I was expecting something about the build of the jointed composition bodies that porcelain dolls have.

Teddy

4. Some years ago, I got the chance to hold a VOLKS SD. I never thought that she would be so big and heavy! We met at the local ToyCon to meet a figurine sculptor who was making his own bjds back then. There are also other bjds present. I asked to get a feel of each one. I liked the Bobobie Lan. She was lovely~ I knew then that mature MSD is a good fit for me. I didn't have the cash back then so overtime my list of wants changed and multiplied. XD

Just last November, I met up with even more doll owners and a various assortment of dolls. Lati Yellows are ridiculously tiny and cartoonish. Not for me~ Then there are a few IpleHouse EIDs. I didn't even attempt to weigh him. He's enormous compared to all those slim SDs.

5. Whenever I see SD dolls with tinys I'm blown away! I have a 26cm girl and it's hard to imagine dolls so much bigger.
      I also had a shock when I got my OT Obitsu girl - I really love tiny girls like that and I'd love a resin bjd in that size. Holding a doll so small that it can fit in your palm is really fun, they're so adorable. Yet again, I really like tiny dolls, so :3c

6. I feel like one of the few people who wasn't surprised at the size, haha! I got a 70cm boy as my first doll. Having not ever seen one in real life, I wasn't taken aback by his height or weight. I had always seen posts on how heavy these dolls are, but when I got mine it seemed pretty expected--not overly dense and what-not. Maybe it's because I never had another BJD to compare it to?

7. I remember feeling a little like that when I got my first doll, and Elfdoll Soah, but not nearly as much as when I got my most recent doll, a Realpuki Roro! I mean, I KNEW she would be TINY. I'd seen Pukipukis at meets before but when she got here and I was holding her it was like WHAAAAAAAAAAAAT. A lot of people who held her told me they felt like they would break her just by holding her because she was so light! But now I'm more used to her. (Although now that my mom's more used to her, she says my YoSDs look huge...)

8. I had no concept of how tiny Pukis really were until Achmed arrived and I held him for the first time.

I was also surprised by how small MSD dolls were when my very first doll arrived since I'd only held SDs up until that time.

9. My very first doll was an EID, and while I didn't really have a comparison with another bjd, it being my first doll and all, he seemed so huge @_____@ so much resin! And the shipping box he came in stood well over my chest and almost to my shoulders. So that was unsettling as well.

I'm waiting for a Pukifee. xD I thought it'd be Nendoroid-sized but turns out it's half as much bigger. Still can't get over how tiny it is/will be in comparison with my EID though!

10. Always, they always look huge from the box! More so when it's your first. And the weight, these suckers get heavier and heavier.

11. I am always surprised when I first see a doll. I can't do centimeter measurements in my head. Even using a ruler from the floor and trying to imagine what height a doll will be does me no good. My first doll was a 71cm. I was astounded by how tall he was! But I wouldn't trade him for anything; he's as beautiful as I hoped, even if he takes up a lot of space! From there I've just bought dolls of similar height. My wife recently got a 1/4 doll that's 42cm and I could not believe how tiny she was, even after seeing her pictures online. I just can't get the sizes in mind until I see them in person.

12. My first doll was an SD AOD and I knew next to nothing about bjd. I WAS indeed surprised by her size and weight. Then I got a little msd Serendipity Alice, which is a delicate sized msd and the difference surprised me, as I had still seen only my one other doll.

When I got my RS Lucky, I was almost shocked. Even though they are not at all on the expensive edge for tinies, at first I felt like "I can't believe I paid that for this little doll"...BUT then I started looking more closely and even for Luckies, the details were precious. I became a tinies fan, er...and SD, and msd....I love seeing all kinds of different ones now. I waited my longest for Soso and Doll Chateau. Olivia is the LONGEST doll I've ever seen. Probably her thin-ness puts a big focus on her height.

I have one unidentified older one and she is heAvY! She sounds almost like she is made of wood and feels heavier. I could probably not sell her as I have no definite info on her origins, and I like her so much I probably won't ever want to sell her anyway. I was fascinated by her differences.

13. My first doll felt bigger and heavier than I thought he would be. I knew he was 18" but I never stopped to think about width and weight.

Niccolo was much heavier than I thought he would be. Even now, I seem to constantly forget how big he is because he's usually sitting down for lack of a doll stand, but when I stand him up again it's like SO BIG. I love him to bits, but I'm never getting another 70cm+ doll, as much as I want to get Niccolo a friend.

Niccolo was sitting on my desk the other day and my aunt wanted something in the drawer, she thought she could pick up Niccolo one-handed at the neck... >_> that was a bad idea...

14. It was the opposite for me XD
      I've been looking at photos with extreme closeups and somehow I assumed that was the actual size. When I received my supergem I was like "ooh...you're smaller than I thought..." lol

15. Same for me, My first dolls are 60 and 70 cm ... before buying them I tok my ruler and measured the height but I just couldn't picture them. When they arrived I was like OMG s huge!!! but now, months later, I look and them and find them not so huge anymore... I think I'm getting used to their size, but they are still heavy.

16. Count me as another one of those people who manages to be taken off guard with every new size. XD I blame my terrible spatial sense.

I have a measuring tape right here on my computer desk and I always hold it up to get a feel for sizes when I look at doll listings, and I look at size comparison images online when available, but I find these never really prepare me for box opening time. Fortunately, all surprises have been pleasant.

17. Happened to me with two dolls very recently :)

When I got my Dollshe body, I was shocked by how long and tall he was. WAIST HIGH FOR ME 8O I was literally shocked and kinda worried he would be too big for me. But I didn't realize just how big he was until I got my breccia and the measured him.

My second one was my Soom Breccia, who was smaller than I expected. That might just be because my dollshe bod dwarfs her so much. xD

18. For my first doll, I was using a measuring tape to gauge how tall he'll be when he comes home, but I underestimated his size and was so surprised when I saw how much taller he is compared to what I imagined. And he's a Delf, and currently the shortest I have in my crew. ;D

But I think it's quite fun to see how the dolls are quite different from what I imagined size-wise. Makes box opening more interesting :D

19. I don't have a resin of my own yet so I don't know the weight/height changes ect I do know there's three dolls I want to add to my collection very quickly.

RS Seng, RS Feng and RS Mei. In either NS WS and LT. Or rather the Feng being the white skin, NS for the Seng and LT for the Mei. My hunter elf is still coming home...I just need the funds. I do want a chance to handle them prior to buying them. Seeing height pics comparing them to like a human's leg or something.

20. I've only ever seen BJDs through my friends who own them, but whenever I look at them and feel the weight it surprises me as well. I always think that they'll be light and fragile but the weight kinda makes them realistic in a sense.