1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

XXX Country Buyers Only

Feb 6, 2009

1. One more doll/head I am interested in, but can't buy because of the glowing "US only", and I will probably stop selling to US too:|

2. I don`t have a problem with sellers only selling to people in their own country.
      After all, it`s their item to sell.
      I`ve actually never sold something to anyone yet, but I know that if I would, I`d probably want to sell it to people in the U.K. Just because it`s easier.

3. I've never had a problem with buying from anywhere overseas, so far.

Local UPS is the only thing that ever gives me grief or can't find me. I'll normally only buy from people that don't use UPS because of them.

4. 1. Have you ever refused to sell outside your own country? Outside your continent? Would you?
      I'm taking that measure now. To limit my sales to US, but offer international shipping to only bigger items. Limiting international completly...I'd probably not get much sold. :sweat

2. What are some reasons people limit potential buyers geographically?
      The only two problems I've had with doa has been international. And the only problem has been the person complaining about something I could not control. In my area its really busy, sometimes the international line wait can be over an hour. On Saturdays is much, much worse (2 hours at one time). With US I don't have to wait in any lines and can ship any time (except for holidays and bad weather). Also there is also the fear of getting in trouble when someone asks to illegal devalue a package. This always freaks me out, but I've done it. I just don't want to do it anymore. And the forms, omg I know them well but sometimes it takes me forever to fill them both out. Especially if I'm shipping 2-4 international packages at once. Seriously, I'm a writer so my hands are already cramped, lol. Especially when the postman is like "oops, things have changed, you have to fill this one out instead" *_* Then you have to prepare packages and get to the post, wait in a very long line, of course after filling out a bunch of forms, and then either it being able to pass or not. And not the buyer's fault, but one country had so many restrictions it got rejected 3 times. So that was three trips and three days of waiting in lines. There have been many days where I couldn't even sit down and eat because I'm shipping international. I've shipped a lot of stuff in the years, but US vs. International. US is such a breeze.

3. Do you think buyer education plays a part in the decision? I.e. do people prefer not to ship internationally to avoid angry buyers saying “You’re charging how much for shipping?” What about seller education? Are sellers preferring to stay in-country to avoid educating themselves about international customs requirements? Because they are un-informed or mis-informed about shipping options in their own country?
      I know international well, I've been shipping for years to the point I've become friends with the people who work at the post office. This is never an issue. International buyers are well informed ahead of time shipping is going to be expensive and they might get charged customs fees anyway. I've just delt with a few "hard to please" international buyers that even if you jump through hoops for them they still complain "omg too much shipping!" or "why isn't it here yeeeeeeet?" even if they knew beforehand it would be pricey and it does take longer. This I'm really getting tired of, why I'm starting to doubt sending anything international anymore.

THOUGH, just like blackeyeliner has said, I have dealt with a bunch of other international buyers who have been amazing to work with. And I've had one or two lucky days where there isn't much of a line at all (very rare). There just seem to be one or two out there that makes me want to throw my hat in and just stop doing it.

5. I am gonna raise my head and defend the folks who don't sell outside the US.

Over the years, As well as having shipped to many US states, of course--I have also shipped doll sculpts to many European countries, a few Latin American ones, Australia, Britain and Canada.

And I can tell you that it's easier to ship to Inda, than Canada, Britain or Germany. No offence to anyone who lives in those countries, (I have several close friends from each place) but shipping to these countries has been repeated a hassle. Firstly, Customs. The track record with Customs in these three countries either loosing, damaging or simply "holding onto" doll shipments as they cross the border is remarkable. I mean litterally, startling.

In 2007 I had 7 incidents alone with just getting packages safely to Canadian buyers. That was more than the combined problems getting items to both Britain and Germany, the other two difficult countries to ship to. (for me, at least) And in every single incident, I was screwed because my buyer had indicated that they DIDN'T want insurance on the item. Yet when the $600 or more doll got lost or damaged they invariably wanted me to make them another or refund them despite having been clearly warned that if they refused to pay for insurance, I was not responsible for what happened to the package.

So in 2008 I started to refuse to ship internationally unless the buyer pays for insurance for full DECLARED price of the item. Yes, that means I lost a lot of international customers because few wanted to pay for Customs on the dolls when they arrived in the country. But you know what, my headaches and fiscal losses also amounted to almost zero after that.

Shipping internationally is expensive, fraught with risks and in general a pain the butt. So I sympathize with any seller who doesn't want to do it. And just because Canada is continental doesn't make it any easier to ship to.

On an up note, I have shipped to Australia on numerous times and never had anything happen. Plus I seem to get less flak from Australian buyers about international insurance. Don't know why that is. *shrugs*

The other reason I started to insist upon insurance or no shipping international was that on two occassions in 2007 I had a buyer recieve the wares and yet make a claim for refund based upon "item not recieved". Once I started insisting on insurance, that sort of fraud was no longer as easy to perpetrate. In the situations above, I had no recourse legally because the sale was international.

Not only that, taxes and other business paperwork is a lot more complex if you do international sales.

So while I understand the frustration it causes, I have to say that belonging to a group with an international membership should never mean a seller (in any country) is obligated to do business with someone outside their native border.

To be honest, I don't buy outside the US almost ever either. When I do, it's stuff I can't do without that I can't get anywhere else. (Mostly fabrics from france or the orient) When it comes to BJD's if I can't get what I want from a US distributer source or second hand from a US owner, I don't buy it. Again, it's an issue of hassle. I don't want to risk a border crossing with merchandise I have ordered that will slow it, stop it all together (thank you Homeland Security...NOT!) or leave it damaged. THe claim process is terrible to go through both for the seller and the buyer. At least with a domestic transaction, things are somewhat less hairy if something goes wrong.

I hope I didn't offend anyone with this post.

Hugs!

6. I haven't had much experience with selling dolls but I do sales on eBay and come in contact with plenty of international buyers. I've never denied anyone a purchase because of a location. I see no problem with it so long as they will front the shipping. I find it's easier to ship continental then international. The same theory doesn't hold true domestically though. I've shipped to many Canadian citizens and I find it easier to ship things there - as well as quicker - than to California. For the record, I live in the south east of the US.

How easy it is to ship depends more on the particulars of the local postal service than the distance. I don't enjoy dealing with the Californian postal service who takes a week to ship a package around the state when it took a day for it to arrive there across country. I've also had to hunt down lost packages for my customers and have even received negative feedback because of lost in-transit packages that miraculously made it to California but no further than that.

But that's just my observation and shouldn't bar anyone from shipping to California. I continue to ship there despite the experiences.

I think it might be hesitation and bad experiences. Probably the same reason why some people avoid certain roads and intersections while driving.

I'm unsure about buyer education being a factor. I've never come across someone disputing the shipping costs as I usually include proof that this is the actual shipping and it can't be negotiated as it's set by the postal service. I'm sure some sellers could be hesitant about shipping internationally or continental because of customs. It doesn't phase me, never did. A purchase is a purchase, whether it's from Sweden or my home town.

It would if I would be considered international for them. I always ask if shipping to the US would be an issue. I also like to inform myself about a country's postal service status. For instance, Italy has/had a postal service problem. That knowledge might cause me to second think purchasing from Italian producers. But it'd be the same if Delaware had a postal service protest.

7. You didn't offend. Perhaps requiring buyers to purchase insurance as well as the item would safeguard against further scenarios like the one you expounded. I require insurance on items of a certain value rather than location. I agree, customs can be aggravating especially when you're the one to sort it out and they don't speak your native language. :sweat But it's just one of the quirks of the hobby that I've come to embrace.

[I've had to deal with customs and authorities when shipping for my eBay sales - which are all I have experience in with shipping items. I've had items held for week, some items returned and some confiscated for being a "hazard." For the record, I don't think antique glass chickens are a hazard to anyone. :sweat]

Anyway, insurance is a must with precious cargo. <3

8. No, actually I'm NOT relating just my own experiences. I was using them to refute your claim that UPS is worse than USPS-- I meant they were no better nor no worse than each other. I have had both good & bad service both agencies, so I don't even bother to judge. But yes, it depends greatly on where you live. (For one example, I live in the city, so nobody tosses packages on my nonexistent lawn.)

And I wasn't complaining about all USPS employees-- I could care less if they're good or bad, I deal with both all the time. The behavior of the employees has nothing to do with this issue; you're just throwing in a red herring. Your post claimed that the employees lied to somebody about the price of "tracking" vs "confirmation", when really it was the fault of the customer for not asking. So my point was that people should realize that they need to ASK the employees about fees and services, no matter how intimidated they may be, or how brusque the employee may be, before jumping to any conclusions about misinformation.

Glad I could clear up those little misunderstandings! Now back to our regularly scheduled program.

9. Nruu. I've always been a bit upset by this. See I'm a collector of dolls house things (just getting into BJD just now) and the amount of trouble I have with the USA is unbelievable. I used to make wallpapers, paintings etc. and sending abroad from the UK is such a rigamarole. I wondered why some sellers even bothered selling outside their own country sometimes!
      Now I have started thinking about collecting BJD (well one would be nice) I'm having troubles coaxing people to sell outside the US. You find the prettiest ones are the most expensive. I have been hoarding around LUTS and SOULDOLL because they do ship internationally. Trying to coax a person to post to the UK is unbelievably hard. They just seem to switch off as soon as I say "Oh... eer.. North Eastern Scotland" they get a bit itchy around our postal services (which is quite good actually Promise!). Just a bit upsetting. You see the BJD you have always wanted. You have the cash in hand and suddenly your hit with "USA only" "Australia only".
      But I'll find my perfect BJD eventually (and send my tradition of a box of scottish shortbread back to any buyers/sellers Money + Shortbread = Happy days!) :)

1. Have you ever refused to sell outside your own country? Outside your continent? Would you?
      I'm afraid yes. I was having so much trouble with "outside E.U. posting" for a while I ended up just saying E.U. My things kept being intercepted by U.S. customs for being "possibly dangerous". I don't understand how my little glass lightfittings were dangerous to be honest. :|

I believe money plays a large pert of it to be honest. Customs also pays a large part of it. They have a quite a nice love in intercepting anything that looks mildly dangerous in UK. Even if it is a box of party poppers.

3. Do you think buyer education plays a part in the decision? I.e. do people prefer not to ship internationally to avoid angry buyers saying &#8220;You&#8217;re charging how much for shipping?&#8221; What about seller education? Are sellers preferring to stay in-country to avoid educating themselves about international customs requirements? Because they are un-informed or mis-informed about shipping options in their own country?
      Mmh. Experienced buyers know the limitations for their buying. I can understand when someone says "$100 shipping" I get a bit "err what?" because that is just stupidly much for a $600 doll that I'm already buying. It is a bit rude when they just seem to be scamming you for shipping.

4. Does a seller&#8217;s willingness to ship internationally (if stated) influence your decision to buy from them?
      Oh certainly. If they look really nice and seem really certain on it then I'd always try help them out. But if I'm already getting flakey signals I tend to get a bit worried about sending my hard crafted items if they are just going to send it back in a few weeks and demand a refund.

Tis just what I think really :sweat

10. Wow, some hostility. It's nice to see a glimmer of emotion amongst the glossy veneers I so often see in ABJD forums. <3

Anyway, I've had bad experiences with all forms of postal service. Be it Fedex, UPS, USPS, etc... I've found that it really all depends on who actually does it, the individual. Much like going to a restaurant, the quality is entirely dependent on the actual individual preparing the service. The same goes for the postal services.

I've sent off boxes that were delivered in the rain and left on people's porches to be soaked. One poor customer emailed me thanking me because had I not wrapped her books in cellophane, they most certainly would have been ruined as even the cardboard by the time she arrived home was mush and crumbled to the touch. That was USPS if I do recall. I've had packages thrown in yards, left sitting nearly in the road, placed at wrong addresses and some who's fates remain unknown. But I've found that there isn't just one service that does this, they all do. I've also had jaded experiences with particular postal services within certain states and countries that I avoid [that particular postal service, not the consumer] doing business with.

In any case, the buyer should always try and educate his or her self about the particulars and the seller should always ask if they understand the fees associated with their purchase. Such as insurance, which I require of most of my expensive sales, customs fees, etc... <3

I forgot to add. I keep a P.O. Box for when I have important items coming in. I find that they have a less likely chance of being damaged, mutilated compared to delivery. I'm also put at ease that my items are safely locked away and out of the elements. <3

11. Oh, lighten up! That's not hostility, that's a little tongue in a little cheek.

12. 2. What are some reasons people limit potential buyers geographically?

I live in the Netherlands and I can't insure a parcel going outside the EU for a value over 146 euros. That excludes almost all dolls. There is no way I would ever send a doll not fully insured. It's a risk I'm not prepared to take.

In the EU, outside the Netherlands, I can insure a package up to 500 euros, which is around 640 USD at the moment. That will insure dolls at the cheaper end of the market but not more expensive dolls or limiteds.

13. Yup this is a big problem but so far I've never had any problems with the large packages :)! There's dhl or fedex but sadly you need to be a company to use those services.

Auctiva which can be used for ebay listings offers insurance but I don't know how that works and for how much.

By the way I've been scammed by a doll person from US Texas and once by a dutch person (non-doll related)..
      either way that's not a reason for me to stop dealing with US or dutch people. Cause it would only be a disadvantage to me as I buy frequently from US people XD. I must say I luv to deal with doll people from Singapore XD!

Oh wait there was once a french girl bad mouthing me on a french doll forum because I didn't sold an Unoa to her.
      I must say I was quite shocked someone would be so cowardly to whine in another language on a different forum.
      And I must confess I've since then only dealed with sweet Aishiteru the only french girl I have ever sold to and bought from.

14. 1. Have you ever refused to sell outside your own country? Outside your continent? Would you?
      I haven't before, no. I don't think I would, either. I'm in Canada, and most of my sales have gone to the US, so I wouldn't sell as much as I do if I limited myself.

I'm really not sure. I think shipping costs may be one, but I feel that if someone is willing to pay for the shipping, there shouldn't be a problem. There could also be the potential "it gets lost" in the mail situation, but for most things (and especially more expensive items) I make sure insurance is added on to the total, so that even if something DOES happen, we're both covered.

3. Do you think buyer education plays a part in the decision? I.e. do people prefer not to ship internationally to avoid angry buyers saying “You’re charging how much for shipping?” What about seller education? Are sellers preferring to stay in-country to avoid educating themselves about international customs requirements? Because they are un-informed or mis-informed about shipping options in their own country?
      I'm from Canada, and shipping to anywhere (even inside Canada) can get ridiculous. I've shipped 5 DVDs to the states, and it cost me $14. I can't imagine what a doll would cost. I've had a lot of people back out of sales due to how much shipping is, so I wouldn't doubt that a lot of sellers say "Well, I doubt anyone is going to pay $xx on top of $xxx for this doll, so I'll sell within my country to give myself a better chance of a sale."

I think if people want to sell, they should be willing to find out how to get something to anywhere in the world. Even if shipping to a certain country comes to a lot, if you only limit yourself to your own country, and someone that really wants what you're selling is in another country, you might have a harder time finding someone to buy it, rather than shipping it off to someone who is willing to buy it right then. (I'm sorry for that sentence D: )

4. Does a seller’s willingness to ship internationally (if stated) influence your decision to buy from them?

Not usually. Most things I've seen, the sellers will ship to anywhere. If they say US only, but I really want the item.... I'll PM them. It never hurts to ask, really. Especially if you mention that you're willing to pay whatever shipping costs. I doubt someone's going to say "No, you're willing to give me what I'm asking and pay for shipping, but you're in another country, sorry." :)

That's just my opinion~

15. 1. Have you ever refused to sell outside your own country? Outside your continent? Would you?

Not refused - though I do state that I prefer UK buyers - I'll explain why in the next question. I am also more likely to ship to Europe than Asia or the US - but I have never refused anyone on grounds of their location!! :)

Personally, it's because a fair amount of time the people I'm selling to are going to a meet I'm also going to - so if they're willing to wait till the meet it means they can save on shipping and I'd just hand it to them. Other than that, it's because I'm always frightened I'll forget to do a customs form, or something else will go wrong or (as has happened before) I'll mis-quote the shipping and end up £40 out of pocket!!! :lol: That was my idiotness, but nevertheless when the item you're selling cost them £20 and me £40... you see where I'm coming from, right? (In this case it was a load of manga, but it's the same thing-ish)

I don't... really know. I have had buyers in the past drop out because my shipping quotes were - in their opinion - "too high" but I only use the courier I know and trust and have never had a problem with, and those people inevitably want tracking and insurance but don't want to pay any extra for it. I guess in that case it is a little to do with buyer education, since some genuinely don't realise that it costs more the more insurance you want for it and then there's an added cost for tracking... yeah :sweat Again - it's not something I've had a problem with here but elsewhere it has been. I prefer to sell within the UK because things like tracking/insurance are either unnecessary or much cheaper. I can send something Royal Mail Overnight (Special Delivery) for much less than I'd have to send something overseas with tracking and insurance, and I know it'll get there by 1pm the next day and is insured against loss or theft or whatever.

4. Does a seller’s willingness to ship internationally (if stated) influence your decision to buy from them?

Not if they're willing to ship to me!! :lol: I obviously won't buy from sellers who won't ship to me (unless I know someone they will ship to who is willing to ship to me) but if someone's willing to ship to, say, UK or Europe but no-where else I won't not buy from them just cause they won't sell to other people :3 Selfish perhaps, but there's little I can do about that I'm afraid :lol:

16. Perhaps we're lucky in Australia, but the forms for international post are quite simple, basically name and address of sender and receiver and show some ID. I've never had problems sending overseas.
      Also as Aus is a small country population wise, collectors of practically anything are used to buying from overseas and expect to pay the postage. I've never quibbled on postage, but sometimes it has been odd that similar size/weight parcels from different states in the US have had different charges. Besides it's usually obvious from the stamps what the real cost is and I avoid buying again from those who overcharge.

I've bought a lot from the US and have never had a problem, even though the vast majority was uninsured (early on I didn't know it was available). Australiapost is fairly reliable but every system has its black holes and horror stories.

I suppose it is easier for people to only ship internally. On ebay I have asked people if they will consider shipping to Aus even if the auction is labelled that they don't do international postage and all have agreed so far. (obviously not the ones who say they don't ship in the text of their ads, only the ones that have it in the top part where it's the summary)

17. 1. Have you ever refused to sell outside your own country? Outside your continent? Would you?

Not so far! And as long as the buyer pays for insurance and doesn't ask me to mark the value of the parcel down, I don't think I will, unless it gets much more difficult or time-consuming for whatever reason.

(I have refused trades from other countries before, because of our outrageous customs and import fees, but that's another story.)

Paying for full insurance can get very expensive for the buyer. Sending a fully insured parcel ("regular" insurance just covers something like $100) from here to the US can easily cost ~$65!

It can be a big hassle to find the cheapest shipping option, explain to the buyer that even the cheapest is not very cheap at all, that no, I won't send uninsured to help the buyer save money, and no, I won't mark the value down because then the insurance will be for naught...

For this reason, I haven't refused and won't refuse if a seller from outside the EU asks to buy something from me, but I'll usually try to advertise and sell my items within the EU first, and I can understand why somebody might want to avoid the trouble altogether.

I try to inform my buyer to the best of my ability. I tell them upfront how much they will have to pay for shipping and what it entails (insurance and so on). But it still makes me very uncomfortable to have to ask so much for shipping!

I try to keep informed about shipping options, but that's getting increasingly difficult to keep track of! Shipping service x ships to any country, but doesn't offer full insurance. Shipping service y offers full insurance, but doesn't ship to all countries. Shipping service z ships anywhere with full insurance, but is ridiculously expensive. (We're talking over $200 for a doll-sized parcel to the US here!)

The customs requirements aren't that difficult to handle, imo. Here in Germany, there is a standard customs declaration form you fill out, and that's that on my end. It should theoretically be fine for the customs requirements of any country.

But, as I said, I refuse to mark the value down to help the buyer avoid customs fees, because that can get me in big trouble if the parcel is lost.

It is a hassle all around to ship a parcel to a destination outside the EU. It's very tempting to say "EU only!" I won't, for now, because I know how frustrating it can be to see a doll you really want on the marketplace or on Ebay... but you can't buy it, because the seller won't ship to you.

Since I depend on their willingness to buy from them at all, certainly!

18. Huh. I hadn't realized people hated shipping to Canada so much. :huh?:

I guess I've been lucky so far and haven't experienced any issues with sending or receiving parcels *knocks on wood*. Until I joined this forum, no one I'd ever bought from had brought up concerns with it, either.

19. 1. Have you ever refused to sell outside your own country? Outside your continent? Would you?

I don't mind where I sell to as long as the buyer is willing to pay the shipping costs.

It is easier and sometimes people offer free shipping for inside their country because it is cheaper.

I usually take the item to the post office and ask if I have to about international shipping. I don't mind the customs forms or anything but it would just take longer for the person to get the item.

My mind tends to screen as possibility and not a possibility, if this person doesn't want to ship to my country that's fine I respect that, that just means I have to find another seller, it doesn't really bother me since there are other options out there.

20. 1. Have you ever refused to sell outside your own country? Outside your continent? Would you? Yes I have, but only when it comes to full size dolls.

2. What are some reasons people limit potential buyers geographically? I limit potential buyers because of shipping costs, most people are willing to pay them but I have gotten a few overseas buyers who have actually heckled me over the shipping price, telling me that if I don't lower it they won't pay. I also limit potential buyers because of the possibility of loosing a package overseas. I never ship without insurance or a tracking number/delivery confirmation but again I've had some oversea buyers ask me to ship without to cut back on shipping costs. My last reason is customs I just hate dealing with them.

3. Do you think buyer education plays a part in the decision? I.e. do people prefer not to ship internationally to avoid angry buyers saying &#8220;You&#8217;re charging how much for shipping?&#8221; What about seller education? Are sellers preferring to stay in-country to avoid educating themselves about international customs requirements? Because they are un-informed or mis-informed about shipping options in their own country? Yes it plays a part and that's exactly one of the reasons why I don't ship internationally. No, people do not prefer to ship "in-country" just so they don't have to educate themselves about customs. I have "educated" myself about customs but I simply hate dealing with them.

4. Does a seller&#8217;s willingness to ship internationally (if stated) influence your decision to buy from them? Not at all, but I do prefer to buy things from sellers in the USA simply for faster shipping, less expensive shipping, and such. But I will buy from a seller overseas in a heartbeat if I they are selling something I really want.

Let me state this clearly, I will ship any other item overseas except for full dolls. However, if a person overseas contacts me about a doll and tells me they'll pay any and all shipping/custom fees and they have good feedback I would probably ship to them. I've just dealt with so many bad oversea buyers in the past.