1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

XXX Country Buyers Only

Feb 6, 2009

1. I've shipped outside the US quite a bit, but only for gifts. It can get hugely expensive. And it can take quite some time for something to clear customs. At one point, I was living in northeastern Ohio and shipping to Ontario, and those packages would arrive up to a week and a half after packages shipped on the same day to the southwestern US. And shipping to Australia takes crazy long sometimes.

Really, it doesn't bother me in the slightest if a seller only wants to sell within their own country. I might be a little sad if I can't get a certain item, but it's their right to refuse to go through the hassle. Honestly, I probably wouldn't buy something from an overseas seller because of the extra time and worry involved. The packages trade hands a lot more, so there's a lot more risk for something to be damaged. And with my local mail carrier, I'm avoiding anything shipped by USPS when I can get UPS instead. He's decided that if he can't shove it into the mailbox (even if the box won't fit in all the way and has to stick out the end) he'll put it in a plastic Wal-Mart bag and hang it from the flag on the mailbox.

2. actually, the only cases i've seen when people refused to ship in some place are japanese people only selling in japan, and people refusing to ship in Italy. XD
      (this may be quite annoying when it happens D:)

3. 1. Have you ever refused to sell outside your own country? Outside your continent? Would you?
      -No, mainly because they aren't that many BJD buyers in Canada compared to the rest of the world. I don't think I ever would limit it, unless I wanted a quick and swift sell or something.

2. What are some reasons people limit potential buyers geographically?
      -The most likely reasons I can think of are shipping cost and extras, currency change (though normally the buyer has to deal with that, no?) and fear of complications. Language could somtimes be an issue, too. Its just faster transactions most of the time, too.

3. Do you think buyer education plays a part in the decision? I.e. do people prefer not to ship internationally to avoid angry buyers saying “You’re charging how much for shipping?” What about seller education? Are sellers preferring to stay in-country to avoid educating themselves about international customs requirements? Because they are un-informed or mis-informed about shipping options in their own country?
      -I don't think this has anything to do with not willing to sell internationally :/ Unless the seller was some real introvert and isolationist, I don't see why he would fear facing outside buyers, since national buyers have also complained about shipping costs, and within nations exists many types of cultures and customs.

4. Does a seller’s willingness to ship internationally (if stated) influence your decision to buy from them?
      -Yes/No? As long as its able to ship to me, and the seller has a good feeback, I don't see where the problem could lie.

The one point that really irks me is when I see USA buyers only. I don't know, as a Canadian that lives 2 hours away from the border, it really irritates me when I see an item that I want but have to look elsewhere. 2 hours away! I could just drive to Vermont, spend a weekend there, pick it up and go back to Canada, LOL.

4. I tend to target UK sales first when looking for stuff to buy - no customs and cheaper shipping are a big incentive, but mostly because there's more chance I can pay by cheque and not have to rely on someone wwho has PayPal to put the payment through for me.

Teddy

5. I can see how that would be irritating for you.... but I wonder if customs forms could play a part in it. I'm workign in the dark here, not being familiar withthe US/Canadian cross-border customs situation, but by only selling within your own country it can save time on filling in customs forms (and dealing with requests from foreign buyers to "mark down" the amount declared on the forms or mark it as "gift" (which many people are uncomfortable doing and/or are insulted to be asked, apparently), so all that sort of thing is cut out by simply stating you'd only sell to buyers within your own country.

Which is more long-winded than I intended...{g}

Teddy

6. Stuff coming back and forth from Canada is amazingly slow for us in the US; I have one little head stranded in customs now for two weeks, I think they are using it for a bottlecap or something. Mail going the other way is equally iffy. Plus the difference in price to cross the border can be steep. I have one publisher who simply drives to Montana, and mails his stuff to his US customers from there. Even with the gas it's cheaper for him.

btw I think just asking a seller if they would reconsider goes a long way, especially since it's been slow in the MP.

7. I lived in the US for 21 years and only recently moved to Canada. It was so much simpler in the US and I can definitely empathize with people in Canada and Europe a lot more now.

1. Have you ever refused to sell outside your own country? Outside your continent? Would you? So far I haven't. I've shipped to US, Canada, France, and even Israel.

If you're not a strong willed person, you might not want to waste your time dealing with people in other countries. I only ship to those places with a very strict policy of "If you don't insure it, it's YOUR FAULT, not mine, if something happens," if the buyer can't handle that then the deal is off.

3. Do you think buyer education plays a part in the decision? I.e. do people prefer not to ship internationally to avoid angry buyers saying “You’re charging how much for shipping?”
      I think this is part of it. I've had Canadians get mad that my shipping was higher for them. I don't know what they expect me to do to remedy it? I've bought doll things while in Canada and I most certainly don't get mad at the seller for the high cost.

What about seller education? Are sellers preferring to stay in-country to avoid educating themselves about international customs requirements?
      Maybe. And that's their right, they don't have to sell to anyone.

Because they are un-informed or mis-informed about shipping options in their own country?
      Well if that was true they wouldn't be able to ship to anyone? I think most people understand domestic shipping unless they've recently relocated.

4. Does a seller’s willingness to ship internationally (if stated) influence your decision to buy from them?
      Well since I'm in Canada it does now. If I was in the US I wouldn't care either way.

8. If I have the time to go to the post office, I will ship internationally, and nowadays, I really just don't. I know how to fill out a Customs form, and I have no problem with doing so, but I do not have the time to spare to wait in a slow moving line at the post office.

I print a majority of my postage online, and you cannot print First Class Mail at the USPS website. (Other websites charge you to print FCM postage, and I personally do not want to shoulder that expense.)

If international buyers are willing to have their $3 eyelashes shipped via Priority or Express Mail, then sure, I'll sell to them, but most people absolutely will not pay for that service.

I have no issue shipping internationally via Priority or Express Mail since I can do it without going to the post office, but most buyers have an issue paying for those services (not that I blame them because it is expensive, but I think it's unfair of sellers to get flack for not selling internationally if buyers only want the item to be shipped a certain way).

9. I will ship to darn near anyone, as long as they pay for it. So far, I have bought from Spain, the UK, and Canada, and there is more I can't recall off the top of my head. I will even ship to them! I have no problem with the forms or anything. ^^

I just want to know when it arrives!

10. 1. Have you ever refused to sell outside your own country? Outside your continent? Would you?
      The money of those outside of the country is no different to money from inside it. Is money at the end of the day, why refuse it? I have never refused, but admit I only will if it is an item that really needs local pickup due to size

I've heard from some that it is the cost of postage and customs issues. dependant on the location of course

3. Do you think buyer education plays a part in the decision? I.e. do people prefer not to ship internationally to avoid angry buyers saying “You’re charging how much for shipping?” What about seller education? Are sellers preferring to stay in-country to avoid educating themselves about international customs requirements? Because they are un-informed or mis-informed about shipping options in their own country?
      I would assume so, though if a seller is upfront about the postage costs, what really is the problem? I've had people tell me (mostly in group orders) that a non american such as I can join in the orders as long as I pay the shipping cost. I guess some international buyers may have a problem with that but I have none. Many of us have to buy these dolls internationally of course. As customs requirements is a problem I have heard before, I have no problems explaining the customs of my country. I used to work in expenses and tax, customs charges was surprisingly enough quite a large part of that, so I have picked up something.

Well, if they are US-based and will not ship internationally then I will look elsewhere, preferably within the country if possible. It only affects my decision if they state they will not ship to this country, if they are willing to then I will go for it.

11. If I would buy a doll, I would definately try to get one inside Europe. Why? Because of the high custom fee.

If I buy a $800 doll from the USA, I can pay about 300 euro's (that's $425) customs fee.
      If I buy the same doll from another person in Europe, I only pay for doll and shipping, no customs fee.

I haven't sold anything yet, but if I would, I think I would welcome international buyers.

12. 1. Have you ever refused to sell outside your own country? Outside your continent? Would you?

I would if it is too much of a hassle. Depends on what it is though. Once again, it's the pros versus the cons for me.

Payment methods, language differences, shipping availability so far have been problems I've encountered. For example, payment methods in Japan and China (Taobao) are really different from like the States and all. (: I managed to overcome the Japanese barrier once by asking my Japanese friend to mail the stuff to me after I stuttered my way through in semi-coherent Japanese Lol.. The Sales department was really patient with me.

Nope. I automatically assumes that both buyer and seller are thinking, rational beings and they will understand that it is their responsibility to know more about what they are buying and cooperate with each other in the sale and procurement.

Nope. I usually try to bulldoze my way through if possible. If it really is impossible or if it's really not worth the trouble then i'll just leave it.:)

13. I bought some eyelashes that were sent in a regular envelope from Canada to SF and it took a month to get here. At the same time I bought some doll parts from Korea and the large box arrived in three days. :? I understand that airmail from a major city to a major city is very fast but it's still funny.

I do have some resistance to buying from Canada for this reason. As long as a Canadian buyer is aware of their WTF postal system and is prepared for possible delays in customs I have no trouble selling to people there. It's true that the longer an item is in the postal services hands the more likely the item will be damaged or lost and I don't like the extra worry.

I do have reasonable concern about selling/buying with people in Greece and Italy. I did buy an SD10 from a DoA member in Italy and it took three weeks to get here but I was prepared and everything was alright.

14. 1. Have you ever refused to sell outside your own country? Outside your continent? Would you? I have never refused to but it is the buyer's risk, not mine. If they live ina acountry that does not have tracking once the item is out of my hands it is NOT my responsibility, if they do not insure it it is NOT my responsibility. That said I really hate selling or buying with Canada, the postal system there gives me a headache

Some countries do not have tracking at all, some do not have insurance, some have notoriously poor customer service or shipping times. I hate dealing with Canada as I have had many interminable waits, as a buyer and as a seller, so it drives me insane. Some people dislike ti because they gt angry buyers complaining about shipping costs and customs, my response is "your responsibility to know about that, I sell it, it is YOUR responsibility to find out if other people are going to charge you for it as well"

Deffinitely. I hate to say I am very unsympathetic to this. People can choose not to make the purchase, but if they go ahead then those costs are their issue, not mine, and I will tell them as much if they complained. I am sorry folks, but do your homework first and know what is going on in your own country (that said I will occasionally swear and rail at the cost of posting items)

4. Does a seller’s willingness to ship internationally (if stated) influence your decision to buy from them? umm, yes, obviously, if they will not ship to me then clearly I will not buy from them

15. 1. Have you ever refused to sell outside your own country? Outside your continent? Would you? I have, and I would again.

2. What are some reasons people limit potential buyers geographically? Personally, shipping out of the country is a huge pain in the rear. I've done it many times, but I really don't like it. You have to fill out a bunch of forms, and they ask you a bunch of questions at the post office. Most people won't let you declare the correct value on customs forms, so you can't insure it for what it's worth. Then if it gets damaged or lost, you have a huge problem on your hands.

3. Do you think buyer education plays a part in the decision? I.e. do people prefer not to ship internationally to avoid angry buyers saying “You’re charging how much for shipping?” What about seller education? Are sellers preferring to stay in-country to avoid educating themselves about international customs requirements? Because they are un-informed or mis-informed about shipping options in their own country? I didn't have a problem with buyers thinking the shipping cost too much, I think they knew to expect that. I did research on the customs requirements, and that's part of the reason that I prefer not to ship anything expensive out of the country. It's really a hassle, and there are a lot of risks.

4. Does a seller’s willingness to ship internationally (if stated) influence your decision to buy from them? I order things from a lot of different countries, but usually it's from a store. If someone doesn't ship to my country, I totally understand, and I just look for something similar elsewhere.

16. I don't know why some sellers decide they don't want ship outside their country or area.

If the buyer is willing to pay whatever the cost of shipping is then I can't see any other obstacles.

I've read some sellers have had bad experiences shipping to other countries and so take the country in question off their "will ship to" list but I've had bad experiences with several Ebay sellers who live driving distance away.

There are risks shipping anywhere, both sides just need to take any precautions available and cross their fingers!

17. At this stage, I'm a buyer, not a seller.

Being in Australia, I rely on the DoA Marketplace for most of my "budget" buys, gently-used makes the $$ go further.

And the GO's are a great idea, saves everyone a little money, and that HAS to be good for the hobby.

But the different currencies make buying confusing, and the single form of payment (available world wide) adds fees at will :(

So far though, I have nothing but praise for the sellers I have dealt with, they have all been polite, and really helpful

18. I just thought, well, they just lost an opportunity, then...
      I think the solution for those sellers is to offer EMS. And if the destination country doesn't have it then they can explain the reason of unable to ship to that country. That's it.

I think some people are afraid of dealing with other countries due to 'other' issues...if it's the shipping that matters, actually it's a buyer's 'problem', not seller...others here are like the way people complain (some sellers just can't stand it...), fraud, scam, etc, etc...i've seen an open complain QA (he/she didn't password it)...the way she/he complained 'looked' rude but i think it's because english is not her/his main language, so, perhaps, she/he just wrote 'technically' without 'imagining' how it would sound in real world...some sellers may just get frustrated by reading it...haha...
      even a person i knew in internet tol me that she got scolded by a seller (non bjd)...i just thought, my goodness, it gotta be very ugly! I'm very thankful i haven't! and seems like my sellers are fine with me. i just thought what did she do so the seller got so angry?

If I'm a seller, I just: "put the full amount in my paypal, then i'll send the stuff using EMS (or registered, depends on the value) to you". that's it. if they want to complain due to this and that, well, EMS is the best so far, those people can't lie by saying, oooh, this is broken, that's dirty, etc, etc...as long as, i was showing all details necessary, i believe in what i'm selling. I knew the condition very well when sending it. So they can't fool around with me (^.<)

To sell abroad is a big opportunity as well as selling locally...I always wish to sell my stuff abroad, though.

19. Well, I'm normally a bit more open with international buyers as long as they understand the risks and are willing to buy. I may at times offer a more better deal for my fellow US buyers, simply because I can afford to. I usually try to give some little benefit to everyone I sell to, like give freebies or pay the difference in cost of shipping if it's more than what I said it was originally, etc. But I can understand not wanting to sell outside one's country because it's usually a little bit more easier to track and handle items if it's still in the country ( reading horror stories about USPS's handling of services doesn't help since I normally use them X.x;; ). Every seller has a right to whom and how much they sell or not sell to, we may not agree with it, but it is their right. I admit with some countries, I'm a tad hesitant in shipping stuff to because I've heard some are really difficult in their shipping methods or has a lot of issues with customs or delivery, but if the buyer is willing to risk it, then I'd try to get them to insure it or something. But there is also the issue, where there are buyers that can and will blame the seller and have them responsible for lost/stolen items etc. If they use Paypal, all the have to do is refute the pay that they didn't receive the item. From what I understand, Paypal may not protect sellers as much as us sellers would like to think at times. If they didn't use paypal, they may demand a refund from the seller, and then the seller would be out of both item and money, should they choose to refund. Granted it can be within one's country too, but mailing services are more likely to be more helpful if it's within the same country if items are simply lost. So I guess it's simply that most feel more secure about sending stuff within their own country. Not everyone is ready to quite "handle the world", so to speak. From a company's point of view, they can simply remake items to send to the buyer if it gets lost, nothing is truly lost on their part (except materials and time) for an individual, there's only one item and no way to reimburse for it, no way to replace. So that alone can make an individual hesitant about sending an expensive items overseas.
      I've come across stuff I would love to buy from folks but they said only in their country, so I can see the frustration, but at the same time "what can I do?" can't force them to rethink it and I wouldn't want to. Never hurts to try and ask about it, cause who knows they may change their minds, but I wouldn't want to force it.

20. 1. Have you ever refused to sell outside your own country? Outside your continent? Would you?
      I so far do not restrict where I will sell, although I am biased towards US/Canada being in Canada myself. I do have the rules that there has to be tracking and insurance though. Doll wise it's usually hundreds to ship internationally anyway so that turns most people off. I would consider if I had massive issues with pricing being bumped up at shipping time and was losing too much money, or issues with damages/lost property alot to a certain location.

It's cheaper for me to ship to the US than within Canada where I live. Otherwise, everywhere else is pretty expensive. Canada Post seems to charge alot more when I drop a parcel off, than what their calculator on their site says so international packages tend to take a nibble out of my wallet or worst. :(

3. Do you think buyer education plays a part in the decision?
      I think experience is a big player for most of us. If you keep getting dinged extra costs or having alot of issues shipping to a certain location or just internationally in general its going to leave a bad taste in your mouth.

I hate nothing more than US only. I'm not over seas and from my experience, Canada Post has worst rates. It's like the item you're dreaming of is RIGHT next door literally but your neighbours like "Sorry, you can't cross my fence and I want to sell it in my yard." I know people have their reasons but it completely kills me.