1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

"You must release perfect doll" (Soom MDs and critics about releases)

Aug 3, 2011

1. I totally agree with you ! It is something to point out actually, because when I view comments, I am looking for more useful information and more like reviews regarding this line of bjd especially when this is my first order from their company but then you will only read *childish* opinions on a doll! It would be REALLY helpful if these comments were like : I own a girl from this line and it has this and this flaws .. or may be point out something remarkably amazing about this body line! We as beginners need few tips and real reviews left sometimes on the product more than: *this is not my taste. I hate it. Please do something my taste next time or I will leave similar comments everytime!* :doh

2. I think people have lost sight of the fact that this is a luxury hobby.
      It is not Soom's, or Iplehouse's, or any other company's job to cater to every single person who has $700 to throw at them. (Okay, I guess it is the Minimee's job, but that's another story...) These dolls are works of art, and just like any other art, you buy what you love, and to hell with the rest of it. No one's forcing anyone to buy dolls at all; we should be happy that there are so many companies with such variety nowadays.
      Constructive criticism one thing, as long as you can be civil about it. As for the rude, entitlement-driven comments, I don't think the 'Soom, I have money for you, but you're not getting it until you do exactly what I say' tactic is going to work. Soom will just happily ignore you and take other people's money instead. The rest of us will just buy our pretty men and think you're a douchebag. :daisy

Aha! Maybe these people comment rudely because they don't have any friends to tell them it's inappropriate? That must be it. :3nodding:

(Pardon my lack of censorship, it is late/ early, and I should be asleep. No undue offense intended to anyone. :aheartbea)

3. I think it is rude. Making a new sculpt is an art and your don't rush an artist or tell them what to do! Each company has their own aesthetic and they will do as they please. People just need to back up and not demand so much... or at least realize that just because Soom (or any other BJD company) hasn't released what they (that person) would consider a grail doll doesn't mean they have a right to be pushy.

4. I think such posters are just following a larger trend on the internet and society in general: it's a badge of virtual-peen honor to be louder, ruder, more obnoxious and sociopathic than the next person. Just look at the state of political discourse in America.

Personally, I think most of Soom's MD guys would make hot women, but that's just my opinion. I don't believe my opinion is the Gospel truth and that if I don't get the "perfect" doll Armageddon is going to happen. Anyone who acts like that, and there are quite a few, must have incredibly inflated egos to believe so.

5. Well, while I try not to be rude, I will make the odd suggestion on what kind of dolls I would like to see. I think it is more the faint hope they would actually listen....

I think one person here hit the nail on the head when they pointed out when SOOM is going for a certain aesthetic so many times in a row and you are waiting for older (or newer) styles to appear, you get frustrated. But I typically don't go to them to voice frustration on doll's pages, but I can see why some would. I just find the absolute RUDENESS to be appallingly childish. There's "I hope you can release dolls that fit X aesthetic in the future. I don't particularly like this one" VS "This one f@#king sucks! Release more manly (aka UGLY) dolls in the future."

I think the first one is perfect because it tells the company there is an audience for a particular aesthetic. Whereas the second one is just making us all look like loonies.

6. I think it's fine to comment politely to the company and state what doll of their's you did like, and if they could make more with a similar aesthetic in the future. However, most of the comments are childish, demanding and rude. I also wouldn't post it on the page of the doll you don't like, instead, post in the Q&A section. Most likely you'd even get an answer with "Sure, we're planning more like that in the future" or "No, we're done with that style".

I prefer Soom's older sculpts, ranging from 2008-2010. There is only one I want from 2011, and none from their 2012 line. I feel that it's because their aesthetic has changed over that time. It's something I've come to accept and I don't feel like critiquing them because of it. All things change over time, whether it be a band's style of music, or a company's BJD aesthetic.

7. I would never go to a store and say bad things about their products, I would fell very rude, negative and unpolite, and I just would not waste my time haha but I think people have the right to do it as long they are polite, But I adimt its really anoying sometimes. Lately i´ve been finding amusing, its just shows how much popular the store is LOL
      Have to log in to make comments is a great solution!
      My first 2 dolls I heard bad things about them when I was buying, but I got them anyway, but it did make me a little sad at the time, a little unsure and I was knew to a lot of things to the hobby, things you only learn when you acctualy buy a doll, and because for me is such an investment (a lot of money). The first it was because he was tan and would have seam lines (which I dont care at all). The second one It was Soom Pel, but for me she was perfect. I loved the theme.

I do think they read the comments, because when Chalco was released in special order there was a big fuss about being Vesuvias turn (on Chalco comments) and they realesed her too at the same time. They listen to the customers!
      To be honnest I was a bit shock about peoples atittudes, and the fighting was the worst. But I think some people became like that because they are big fans and got desperate. Its a negative thing that comes along in the comunity of the Hobby.
      When Pel was realesed someone said it would be nice if she had bird wings and the next BRONZE doll they realeased was Nor and Dune (the birds). So I really think they read the comments at least at the biggining.

But I do like the comment box, I really enjoy reading people on the hobby exited (positive or negative) about the release. I miss that in some companies, it makes less cold I belive.

8. I see it like this; if you want a certain doll, commission one from somebody who can make you what you want, mod one close to it, or don't order from the company you complain about. Soom has their own style, a very good one, imo. If people don't like the style, there's tons of other places to buy dolls from. It's never nice or polite to give and receive nothing but negative criticism for what you produce and what you see and there's a difference between suggesting some improvements and flat out telling a company their dolls suck. One is nice, the other is awful, pretty simple stuff.

9. I think people really need to keep their 'suggestions' to themselves on a product review page. The review page is there for people who own the doll to rate/review it, but I have YET to ever come across a review page being properly used. Companies have Q&A boards so you can inquire about future products... and perhaps that is the better spot to voice what you would like to see in the future; but placing your critique about a new doll on the public board is unnecessary and just makes you seem really whiny. "Boo hoo, this $600 luxury item isn't up to my standards, why couldn't you make a doll like this so I could buy it and be happy?"<-Obviously that isn't how they are phrased, but even if politely phrased it's irritating. I just can't help but feel that it must be so tiresome to read that your product would have been better IF you had done "x,y,z". For some reason I think people forget they are artists working on these dolls, and even if they are a product to be sold it doesn't sting less when people bash your creation. I'm sure these companies are proud of their newest release... and people just crap all over it about how they wish it was in a different color, a bit more masculine, had a nicer nose...etc etc.

This isn't Burger King people... the "Have it your way" philosophy is tiresome to come across and frankly very rude. If a company hasn't made something you want, shop elsewhere. We now have choices in the hobby and that means you can take your money elsewhere and support the company that is making what you like.

10. This is something I've never really understood. It's almost as if people are saying "OMG, Soom isn't letting me give them my money because they keep making ugly dolls! They're soooooo mean!" They aren't forcing you to buy any of their product so if you don't care for it... You save your money for something you do like. That just seems like common sense to me... Why is not spending your money at a specific venue that you know sometimes sells things you don't care for an issue? I don't get it.

I, like many others, don't see a problem with saying things like "I think this would be better if you did x instead." or "I don't really care for the nose, I think it looks too thin.", these are at least helpful. But things like "your doll sucks because it doesn't fit my super-specific definition of perfect, therefore you suck for all eternity!!!11!" are just stupid and rude. The "You'll sell more" type comment get me too. Just because you want something specific does not mean everyone else will like it or want it. That assumtion that everyone else will buy that one thing you really like is what I find highly annoying.

Which also goes to say, not every doll is going to be one you like either. And if you know a company tends to do a certain thing, and you don't like it why go to them? It's sorta like going to a car place wanting a boat, and complain that they never make any boats. It's just... Why? I know that if I want a super femmy elfy boy I can go to Luts. If I want a great fantasy doll for some whimsy, perhaps with hooves, I'll look to Soom. If I want super manly manly men, I'll go to Iplehouse. I'm not going to go to Iplehouse for a waify elf boy, I'm just not. I know sometimes you like a certain aesthetic of a certain company, and some tiny detail turns you off of one of their dolls. That is understandable. But leaving comments like "make more manly men plz!!!" to a company that doesn't really do 'manly' that often in the first place, either 'cause it doesn't sell or whatever their reason, is kind of silly.

I do think a lot of those commentors though are just there to rile people up. They know companies like Soom and Iplehouse have a decent size fanbase, as well as these commenting things. And apparently the dolly hobby is pretty petty (if certain tumblrs are to be believed), so I wouldn't be surprised if they were mostly trolls.

11. Oh god, I didn't even notice the comments really until I looked at Tremo. And all I can say is....wow. I can understand thinking certain parts could have been done better, maybe offer a suggestion or two... but some of those people are just flat out rude!

Now, yes, we have a right to our opinions, and a doll cannot please everyone...but some of those comments make it seem like the person is personally offended at the doll for not meeting whatever expectations they may have had for it. Having an opinion is fine. Not liking a doll is fine... but there is a difference between criticism and rudeness.

12. Seriously... let people create what they feel like creating, according to the Muse that's leading them right now. It really doesn't have anything to do with us. Whether it's music, or dolls, or fashion design, or fiction, or whatever-- when an artist changes a style, or doesn't change a style to cater to external demands, the fans feel proprietary enough to demand to have a say in it. So often we lose sight of the fact that the artists are NOT really here to serve our whims, whatever the industry might want us to believe.

I think we all have at least one of that certain Band Guy friend, who never forgave his/her favorite band for changing drastically when they evolved in a new direction on that one particular album. ^^ I myself never forgave Metallica for 'Load' even though I feel they can do whatever the hell they want to because they've earned it; my friend has never forgiven Sepultura for anything after Max Cavalera left, and he's still holding a grudge and will not even download them for free; but I forgive Killing Joke every single bizarro career-swing they make, because with some artists, you're just in it together for the long haul. Like, every time I think I'm finished with Volks-- too many times to count-- they pull out some divine bit of WTF that reels me back in again. Ditto Iplehouse.

And, if I go to Soom and I'm not thrilled with the current offering, I don't bitch on their dolls for not looking like Volks or Iplehouse dolls. Often I am still thrilled, though, long after I thought they'd lost it for good. Tremo is z-o-m-g incredibly amazingly :aheartbea!

13. It seems to me that this is one of those cases where people tend to have entitlement issues. Like Snow said earlier, doll companies don't owe us anything (other than what we've already paid for if we ordered a doll, that is). Doll companies might take potential buyers' comments into account, but at the end of the day Soom sells a boatload of dolls every year, even those that several of us might not find as aesthetically pleasing.

And another thing is, everyone has different aesthetic senses. Someone on the F60 Discussion thread said that she'd like to have a F60 Pong if they were released, whereas most others think it would just be silly or even look a little scary. She's not wrong for liking the idea of such a doll, but it's not Fairyland's responsibility to see that they make it just for one buyer either.

At the end of the day, most well-known and established BJD companies probably have teams of marketing professionals that discuss the directions they want to go in with their sculpting/creative teams, and they're probably going to listen to them over people who continuously bash their products, and there's nothing wrong with that. That's one of the ways that a business stays in business. If you don't like what they come up with, then don't buy the doll.

14. When I read stuff like that, I don't think it's meant seriously.
      I take it as a joke. Like how some people say "I hate you company XY! You ruin my wallet with your beautiful dolls!" and shake their fists.
      I can't imagine people who comment on a company's site to be so greedy and perfectionists. ô_o

15. I'd just suggest going to Tremo's page at Soom. There it is more along the lines of "OMG IT'S HIDEOUS! WHY DID YOU DO THAT SOOM! HE'S LOOKS LIKE *insert various odd names here, particularly aimed at insulting the resin part of his wings*" Now, don't get me wrong, he wings parts look odd without the feathers...:sweat

I have seen a lot of the "hate" for Soom making wonderful dolls that carve craters in people's wallets... but trust me, it's hard to confuse that and the blatant insults thrown at them for making new fantasy parts that might look a little strange.

16. I know Iplehouse at least *does* have boards that are specifically for general feedback about what people want to see in future, too, so it's dismaying to see comments on specific dolls that are just complaining that this isn't 'right'. I don't know if Soom has a general feedback/suggestion box board, though it wouldn't surprise me...

17. Feedback is extremely important for retail companies. In the case of these fairly small dollmakers it's vital. That being said, rudeness & lack of coherent substance ('hate this doll' 'face too girly' 'just beautiful' = really useless) are waste of space & not helpful at all. Being tactful & specific on the other hand IS. Saying 'like the sculpt but the default face-up is too heavy-handed for me' is a USEFUL comment. That does not mean that if only one person says this it will change, but if there are a lot along those lines then something like the 3 choices at IH can happen. Soom & its free choice events are another example.
      Why people think ranting & raving on the customer feedback boards help is beyond my understanding :(

18. I see it like this, and then its pretty simple. People are never happy. And when they aren't happy they like to complain to someone who will "hear" it. Look at politics this is a prime example. Dolls aren't different. Someone is always going to want it some other way and is going to be stubborn and complain. Some don't even care about the evidence laid in front of them. They just don't like it and that's that.
      Yay society.

19. Just throwing my vote in with the rest of the majority of the comments here.

Constructive posts like "He's nice but I think his lips are a bit too thin for my tastes. I'd love to see you release a hunky masculine doll in the future!" are fine, they're expressing a person's personal taste without being rude.

Negative posts like "He's so ugly, what did you just plonk a girl head onto a boy body? You suck soom, when are you going to start releasing GOOD dolls again?" is unnecessary. It's possible to express your opinion without being a knob about it.

Personally there are a lot of dolls released that I don't like, some that even make me recoil from my screen in "OH GOD WHY???" horror. But somehow - don't ask me how, I must just have some kind of amazing iron will - I manage to refrain from going to the company site and behaving like an entitled prat.

One day everyone will accept that people have different tastes and you're not always going to get exactly what you want from a company, even one that you love. They're not obliged to make their products to your exact specifications (well, except for things like Minimee of course) and it's okay for you to not like EVERYTHING they release. But there's never any excuse for being rude on their page -_-

Thank goodness Soom don't listen to these people, or we might never have any cool and unique dolls any more. Just endless pumping out of massive manly dolls in varying themes. :roll:

20. I usually laugh to myself a bit about the rude comments on the Soom English website, because they are so absurd, and I am sure Soom does so too.

This kind of negative comment might even produce more popularity than no comment at all - because someone will feel inclined to say something good about the doll in return.

People reading comments, no matter if positive or negative, on the website, will stay at the particular section longer, automatically looking at the doll in question for a longer time, it might grow on them... and BLAM! - more sales.

And I think Soom does listen to the comments, if they are at least a bit constructive, partly - just as they look at the online forums and see the reactions here, or maybe google their doll release names to see what was more popular - or at least they do from time to time. It is part of the market research that probably every company does. I noticed, f.e., that the lips of the newer boys are getting thinner - much to my own disappointment, but I cannot buy them all anyway xD - and "too full" lips on the male Sooms was what lots and lots of people were complaining about. It might be a coincindence... but maybe it is not.

Still, I think rude criticism makes the one who is rude ridiculous - not the one criticized. So Soom -or other company's - dolls don't become less beautiful if a rude person calls them ugly... but people reading the rude comment might think that the commenter him/herself has an ugly mind.