1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

"You must release perfect doll" (Soom MDs and critics about releases)

Aug 3, 2011

1. companies should be able to receive both negative and positive comments about their products, if you don't like something, or if you'd like it in a different way, or if you see room for improvement i think it is good to tell, after all, people are spending thousands of dollars on this hobby on a daily basis.....however this does not mean you have to be rude and nasty and childish, there is a way to communicate things without having to go to extremes. people who behave that way obviously have no control over the way they react to their own disapointment. let us remember also that there are bjd collectors several groups of ages also...a lot of times believe it or not, that can say it all....i don't think soom should care too much, they have become one of the greatest bjd stores, they've established a solid clientele that will always go back for more (including me i still have a phonolus to buy in the future! ) so, they shouldn't be worried about it.

and just think about it...when you are famous, that's exactly what happens, just look at all those movie, singers and tv superstars, they don't ;eave them alone!!! XD

2. Exactly! - Constructive criticism and "what I'd like to see" comments totally have their place, for both market research & general feedback purposes-- but put it in the RIGHT place. If you want to see more JID girls, you do not go to JID Colin's review-page and whine about how they don't make enough girls, and how it's unfair to the 'majority' of their customers and how they'll 'lose money' if they don't comply with your wishes right away. No. You go to the Q&A section, and you write a Q&A to request more girls. Or, if their Poll & Forum page asks "what JIDs do you want to see next?" you write your answer there. You go to JID Colin's page to write a review about Colin himself.

Those Soom pages are just a troll haven nowadays... ever since their customer base expanded to get as huge as it is now, it's been plagued by floods of those me-me-me trolls. You can never tell if they're just all spoiled incoherent 14-year-olds who haven't learned how to talk to people civilly yet, or if they're spoiled incoherent fully-grown psychotics who never have & never will learn to talk to people civilly.

Fortunately, Soom is used to rolling with it. They're a lot nicer than I would be-- I would have disabled Comments on all sales-pages years ago. If you remove the "impulse-reaction" option, and require everyone to write an official Q&A request to contact you, it tends to weed out the worst of the asshats. (Asshats have short attention-spans, and tire easily when forced to think about what they're saying.)

3. I agree with what the people before me said, it's not a question about being forbidden to give your opinion, but rather a question of how to PROPERLY give a opinion.

I don't really bother to read the commentaries anymore, it's not like you will find anything constructive there at all. For feedback on dolls I check DoA and journals.

4. Well I don't follow Soom. It also would have been more valuable to include actual comments rather than invented ones.

In any case I don't think being rude or nasty is ever justified or necessary in any situation. However, I am sure that Soom would sooner know why some people don't like their releases than have no idea. Constructive criticism is always preferable, but I don't feel that the comments OP gave as examples are rude or nasty at all, some are less constructive than others but I don't see any problem.

I understand that some people have favourite companies and feel loyal towards them, but I'm not really sure what the OP's issue is. Openly saying "I don't like this" is not rude. It could be insensitive if you know the person you are speaking to could take it personally, but Soom is a professional company, they need to be able to hear both good and bad critique.

If people are actually being rude, they're only embarrassing themselves. Soom will know what people like or not by their sales figures and repeated constructive comments. Random insults will just be ignored.

5. So how about actually going to a Soom page and reading what everybody's talking about, instead of dismissing it out-of-hand as 'invented'? You don't have to 'follow' Soom; their webpages do show up on Google results. Google the term "soom tremo" just for 1 instance, you'll find it. You'll easily see that it's not invented, and it's not a matter of "i don't like this".

6. I recently saw in their Q&A every title was one line of an insult so they all went together as a sentence, which was totally juvenile plus really annoying to anyone else who wanted an answer from Soom! Personally I find these sorts of comments so overly dramatic, I think that they must be trolls. If not very bitter. Either way if I were Soom I wouldnt take any notice. Whenever I have recieved that level of feedback I dont take much notice, because its such a joke, you cant take it seriously! Constructive criticism is what I take note of, its mature and respectable with a lot more thought than easily said negativity. Anyone can slag something off, make a horrid remark and walk away, but it takes more thought to want to actually engage in a conversation about something and activily sort a problem out.
      If you dont like something that much its a waste of time, you may as well hit your head against a wall for all the use those comments are doing.

7. I think that's really stupid to be honest, if you don't like their dolls then go somewhere else. Because there are people who buy their dolls, and there are a lot.
      I think that a lot of people forget that the dolls are someone's pieces of work. Someone worked long and hard carving out their precious little mouths and hands and eyes; it's just plain rude to insult it. That's like walking up to someone's art gallery and telling them that it sucks. "Your art sucks because I don't like it. Green isn't my favourite colour. That guy over there isn't manly enough. Clearly I suddenly represent the whole world, and if I don't like it, no one likes it."
      But of course Soom probably doesn't care, haters just make them more popular. :D

8. Going directly up to them and saying negative things to them is very rude, actually. Would you walk up to a complete stranger and tell them "I don't like your face"? You wouldn't, because it's rude, right? Why is posting on a company's sale page any different? It's a message directed to Soom, in Soom's face. How embarrassing to have to witness that, and how embarrassed for Soom that they have to put up with that rubbish.

9. Augh!
      I'm really worried people are going to very much find themselves hating me for saying this, but I do have an opinion and I respect each and every one of yours individually as you have them and your right to express them.

I think, a lot of times, the price is what make these people kind of... go on meanly.

I admit, recently I saw a doll on a company that I won't name, just so that I'm not being one of "those" people, and... It basically made me think they sculpted sleeves for arms with all the veins and really odd, improper anatomy-type details. I know that sounds mean and hey, I don't have my own company and I am by FAR not a professional doll maker as I want to be some day.

But heaven sakes, the doll was almost 800$ without faceup clothes, wigs and the rest of the trimmings.

Now, that's not to say someone's not allowed to ever, ever evereverever have a bad 800$ doll and I'm also going to be the first one to stand up and say, the rest of their stuff was awesome so I know it's just "one of those dolls" that're forever going to be on their 'top ten we shouldn't have done' list kind of thing.

Either way, if they're really an expensive build or super expensive in general I think my expectations would go up. That's not to say just because I paid 300$ for my first doll I expect it to be crap either though. But of course I'm not going to expect realistic curves every where ever (even though I'm very impressed with the sculpt overall), I do expect a certain standard.

However.
      I will also stand up to say -_- being a jerk to someone on their store page is just uncouth and someone needs a spanking.

I hope I've made sense and I'd like to take this opportunity to say that, again, I appreciate every single stroke that someone's put into all the incredible dolls all over the place. That I myself am not a professional by any means of the word, but that this is, at the moment, my opinion from traversing in dolls.

Thank you for reading and understanding :)

10. I have to agree with this. Going up to a sales page and telling a maker flat out that you think his doll is ugly/ not to your taste, isn't constructive. It's awkward. Of course they are professional and of course they should be able to take in negative feedback as well, but it still feels embarrassing to read all of these comments on their sales page.

Also, there is a limit to what a professional should have to accept. Some of the comments I read on Soom's page are just downright mean. Perhaps the writer didn't mean it as such (that's kind of the problem with the internet; words can come out wrong so easily), but I'd be hurt is someone said the same to me.

Of course, if the sales are going well, Soom'll probably not care about those comments. But when they've only just released their doll, orders aren't coming in yet and the makers are nervous if this doll will be accepted or loved by the audience, I do think that only/mostly reading negative feedback on their sales page could be disheartening for them. They are people after all.

11. Price is immaterial to whether or not it's forgivable to troll a company's message-boards. Just because you (or I, or anyone) don't like the look of something that you deem expensive-- that doesn't mean it is a "bad doll", an imperfect doll, a flawed doll that's not worth its price. Somebody else may love the aesthetic of those veins (or whatever your personal objection is). Somebody else may not even think that $800 is particularly expensive for that doll. That company might, actually, be very proud of their work on that doll, and not agree with you that they should be regretful about it instead.

And, clearly, the company is not going to change its price-points for different dolls just because you happen to prefer this one vs. that one, and personally feel that you should get something else for your money. It is the tackiest thing to read, when people actually post complaints about the price, right there on the sales-page, & actually say it shouldn't cost what the company is charging.

Absolutely. Like in tech support or customer service, where you know being bitched-at is part of the job; you should get to put your foot down when it comes to actual insults. The customer is not always right anymore-- especially when the abuse is coming from those who aren't even customers!

12. I think the comments are enabled on boards like that so that the sculptors can know what the general thought is of the community upon release of a new item. I'm sure that they take feedback into consideration, but I'm also sure that if they get away with charing 500+ dollars a pop for a naked doll, and still meet their sales quota, they largely don't care about being flamed.