1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Your Collection of Floating Heads: Planning or Collection?

Aug 20, 2012

1. I have one floating head (DZ event Freddy-1). I was not planning on doing anything with it -but now that I've seen owner pics, sigh, I want to make him into a complete character. He will be a floatie for a while, as I figure out the perfect body. I will say that I am soooooo tempted to become a head hunter, er, collector. I can have them all, and save space and $$. Why didn't I think of that before?

2. I have a "collection" of floating heads, but they all have futures in mind.

I have 4 fairyland heads (two minifee soo the dark elf one awake, one sleeping, and the new ltf bb Rara sleeping and awake heads), a Luts head (i just cant seem to find a body in the correct size for it, i want it to be a girl but luts doesnt make SSDF girl bodies XD), and a AOD head (just dont have the funds for his body yet)

only in the sense that i have a sleeping and an awake version of some of them, yea

My original plans were to buy a body for it immediately, tho funding and other doll plans have come along, also the fact that there's only a few bodies that crop up on the mp for the one doll i REALLY need a used body for XD (the body is that of a soom monthly and it was a very popular one)
      No, All my floating heads are planned to get bodies in the next two years depending on finances

Money problems, lol. If i could finish more of my projects and then sell them i think i could get a few bodies fairly quickly if some of my stuff sold. But i dont even have the funds for parts for a couple of my items XD

3. I only have one floating head and he will likely have a body this week. It's being shipped as I type. I don't plan on getting more but I'm open to it if the right head comes along. If I run across one of the 2 or 3 dolls I have on my want list only as a head that's fine. I'll just get bodies later. But I don't collect heads just to collect heads or to be able to swap them out. I want any head I buy to have a proper body, to be a whole doll.

4. What kind of heads do you have or look for?
      I look for heads that have character. Essentially, my floating heads are heads I would have bought as a full doll, but I already owned a body they could share, so why spend extra money?

Do you have multiples of the same head?
      No. This is one thing I don't enjoy. I only have unique heads in my collection. Of course, I count romantic heads or other 'alternate' heads as being different heads. If you consider those to be the 'same', then I do have a few multiples (2x Shonki heads, 2x Migma heads, 2x Ai heads).

What were your original plans for the heads?
      They all have distinct, developed characters. I bought them knowing that they'd be sharing bodies, so their 'original' plan is also their current plan. I don't see floating heads as non-dolls - I interact with them exactly the same way I do my other dolls.

In fact, technically you could say I have nothing but floating heads. No particular head has more of a claim to a body in my collection. Just because my Cream White female body came with a Cuprit head on it doesn't mean my Cuprit head spends more time on it than my Nephelin, Amber, Clozel, Cass or Benmore.

Will you continue to search for and purchase interesting heads whether or not they become part of a doll?
      All my floating heads are 'part of a doll' (see above), so this question doesn't really apply to me. I definitely will continue to buy floating heads, though. They're a wonderful way to save space while still having 20+ characters in the house ;)

What is the main reason you have not made your heads into anything yet?
      Again, this doesn't really apply. The main reason I have my heads share bodies instead of purchasing multiple bodies is space issues. I collect 68cm+ dolls, and I have over 20 characters. I simply cannot afford that many bodies, and I don't want that much resin filling up my house. Floating heads sharing bodies works perfectly for me :)

5. What kind of heads do you have or look for?

I normally end up getting dolls that come with an extra head or I wait till a summer/winter event where an extra head is the freebie for a certain amount purchased. I love getting elf or vampire heads personaly.

Lesseeeee I have a Shiwoo Vampire Elf head, Chiwoo Vampire Elf Head, Minifee Shiwoo Vampire Elf Head, 2007 Na-Nu-Ri Vampire elf head, Bory head, a Euclase sleeping winged head, and I will be getting a 2013 Summer event head from Luts and the normal head for Soom's Caption Hook.

I got the Chiwoo head for a great deal cause the girl getting the doll didn't want it and sold it to me for $25 and then the Bory head I wasn't even expecting and not sure what will happen with? As far as I know it's mine because I've now had it for ...four-five years? The girl who was having me fix it (she tried putting a face-up on without putting a protective layer on first and ultimately staining him horribly bad) decided to pull some majorly messed up stuff on me that I won't go into. But her grams picked up the doll's body four years ago, and I offered to mail the head if they paid for shipping or came to get it, but they never did. Ever. I had tried countless times to return it and well nothing SO...I will keep it safe regardless and even though what she did was very wrong? I would still return the head if she ever stepped forward to get him but I did enough on my end as far as I am concerned.

Do you have mulitples of the same head?

Not really? Different variations yes.

TO GET THEM BODIES! ...which I think I'll do each event to earn another free head. XD IT will never end.

Will you continue to search for and purchase interesting heads whether or not they become part of a doll?

I only do it if it's when I am purchasing a full doll or when buying things I need. I won't just buy a head without a body because that's just another body I will need and ack I don't need more floating heads.

...because companies keep releasing dolls I would like to have effectively emptying my body fund.

6. What kind of heads do you have or look for?
      Let's see ...
      - three extra MNF heads for my MNF boy (one Luca, two Scar Breakaways with different face-ups)
      - one replacement head for Luken (Unidoll Ark)
      - one replacement head for Celaran (DIM Minimee)
      - two WS Minimee heads (Raziel and Prince Nuada)
      - three NS Minimee heads (Scarlett Johansson, Tom Hiddleston and Zachary Quinto)
      - two Volks NS heads (DWC 01 and Ryoma Sakamoto)

Oh my - never realized I had that many ...

Yup. I got an extra Ark-head (in case the original one gets damaged - got it when Unidoll stopped producing Ark cos, well, you know - the moment you can't get a replacement easily anymore something's bound to happen to the original head - Murphy's Law) and one extra Celaran-head (dito, and DIM did send two, of course).
      As for the Scar Beakaways - well, I always wanted one and bought the head, the chestpiece, the arm and hand off the MP here. The second head was sold by a friend of mine and the FU on that one is just so unique I HAD to get him.

To get them bodies, of course. Except for the MNF heads - they're fine the way they are. I do have a MNF boy body and a Chicline boy body and I'll swap heads ever so often (on the MNF body). I also bought two SDGr busts from Volks during their World Championship so I can stick two of my floating heads on them to display them even when they're not sitting on a body.

Well, I do have the intention of getting bodies for them when I buy them, soooo ... probably.

Lack of money and especially lack of space. My flat's only got 33 square meters and can only accomodate so many large dolls ... That's why I'm favouring the "several heads for one body" option. I definitely do want to get at least one WS body for my two WS Minimees to share (with Raymond, since it'll probably be a WS Dollzone Raymond I'll get - if I ever do).

I got a "sharing system" worked out for several of the heads. Erwan, Scar, Piedro and Clint share the MNF body (option on the Chicline body if I want two of them "out" at the same time), Armand (Unidoll Feanor) and Tharesion (Minimee Zachary Quinto) share my second UniReal body. (Luken doesn't share, though. Not ever.) Tristan (Volks Link) shares his body with Santi (DWC 01) but that'll probably change to Santi and Ryoma sharing one body due to better resin match (they're both from the same year, so I'd really like to get a newer body for them). The ScarJo head can probably fit on one of the UniReal bodies, too, if I paint it to be a guy ...

I really do need an extra body for the Tom Hiddleston head, though, because it's so much pinker than all the bodies I got (DoD might be a good match) ... But unless I can make more space in my flat, I won't have room for those three additional bodies I want, especially not since the one place I still got left for a big SD-sized doll is reserved for LLT's Ludwig.

7. What kind of heads do you have or look for?
      Depends on if I like the sculpt and I usually go for ones that have faceups already. I also really like any heads that look similar to the Dollfie Dream heads. :D
      Do you have multiples of the same head?
      Nope!~
      My original plans for all of my heads were to get them bodies and eventually make them into characters.
      I usually only buy heads for dolls but possibly.
      I'm saving up for them still. :sweat

8. What kind of heads do you have or look for?
      ​
      My floating heads now are Leeke Khal, Leeke Mihael, Esthy Peroth. I'm always looking for the dolls I really really want for my characters, and the ones I just like for the sculpt. I usually don't like the bodies they're sold with so I'm fine with buying heads, really. :)

Yes, I have Miho twins, though they do have bodies now, haha.

As my OCs. I'm still saving to get them bodies...well, I did manage to reduce the number of floating heads from 4 to 3, so I guess it's not that bad.

Yes, I'm always on the look out for interesting heads. I'm eyeing a Dollclans Kien right now even though I want to get my Mihael a body first.

Money, mostly. And I haven't found the right body with the right proportions and resin match for all of them yet.

9. I was recently gifted a Luts Senior Delf Summer 2013 Event Head. I feel as if I've hit a great milestone in the hobby! This is my very first floating head! I love him to bits, and immediately bought him beautiful gray eyes and a lovely gray wig! Sadly though, I don't know how long it'll be until the poor dear has a body... I've already found myself quite attached to him, although he's not a full doll. I'm really quite sure what to do with him, other than give him a faceup. What do you all do with your floating heads until you get them bodies? Is it weird to show them off?

While we're on the subject, I actually want a doll in the future that is just a floating head. I had a repeating dream when I was younger where a giant floating head attacked me and my fellow friends at daycare. It was terrifying at the time, but now I want one just like the one in the dream as a bjd! It's such an interesting idea! Is there anyone out there like me, who is actually going to intentionally buy a head that will never get a body?

I did a search, and nothing came up. I do vaguely remember a thread about floating heads once, but I have no idea what is was specifically or where it went... I apologize, as usual, if I've posted something that already exists!

Here's my floating head, JJ, if anyone wants to see him. ^^ (I also apologize for the giant photo. I've tried resizing them before, but it never works!!!)

[​IMG]

10. I have floating heads, but I either intend to get them bodies, or share bodies. I have known people to take floating heads to meets, usually for resin matching, but also because that may be the only doll they own, or they're just excited and in love with the character already, but can't get it a body yet, but don't want it left out. :)

I've never known anybody to have a head with no body as a character, but it's an interesting concept! (and makes me think of Zordon from MMPR. :P )

11. Yeah, that's why I wanted to do it!

I definitely want to take mine to a meet. At least it's not unheard of. He just has the most adorable little face.

12. What a cutie! I don't think there's anything weird about loving and showing off your head. And the idea of it being a character all on it's own is really interesting.

I know when I get the head for my character Ollo, he's going to be body-less for a while. He's an android, so I guess I can easily incorporate his floating head into a story until his body is chosen. What a neat idea. :)

13. I have a EL-SS floating head, but at this point I really don't have space for another large doll but he is my grail doll and I had to have him especially since they are discontinued (for now?). :) He is kept in a little box, but I do take him out for pictures on occasion. I just think of him as he is in stasis condition at the moment lol.

A floating doll charactor would be cool, can't wait to see more pictures!

14. This is not actually supposed to be my floating head character, but I have been considering incorporating it into his story until I get him a body (the head in the photo is supposed to be for an angel, so perhaps they can survive bodiless?). It's just so hard for my to justify a body right now because I had intended to stop at five dolls for a while and then I was gifted this head over the weekend and I JUST HAD TO KEEP HIM. I know this particular head could be sold for a lot of money, and I briefly considered selling him and then I came to my senses. He was acquired in really unusual and amazing circumstances and like I said, has a great face.

It is a bit annoying though and I do feel bad for him. I have a lot of empathy for my dolls, which is really hard because I know they're not real (But I am the girl who thanked the ATM machine the other day when it gave me my money, so it's not a huge jump...). Are these common feelings?

15. My sister nags me for not getting my boy head a body and I do feel bad for him but at the same time I'm just not ready for a big doll especially.

Yeah you could probably add a side story for him until he gets his body (well until you're ready to get one that is). How he manages day-to-day life without one. :)

For some reason I can't get the thought of a zombie doll head concept out of my mind. Would be pretty cool too, I think I watch too much Walking Dead xD

16. LOL I've done the ATM thanking thing before too, so I totally understand you. I can't speak for everyone else here but I think it's fairly common to have empathy for your dolls. I've read about people talking about how they feel bad because their doll spends more time in their box than they would like or they're not giving doll A as much attention as doll B, etc.
      So I can see one feeling a bit sorry because their doll doesn't have a body yet.

17. Hm...no, not really. Although three of my characters will have to share one body due to space reasons, they all technically have a body. My girl's head will have to remain bodyless throughout the year, but that is because I can't afford to get her my dream body (I mean, her dream body) right now. So finally all my dolls will have a body, although not everyone his or her own one.

18. I have no problem with showing off a floating head. I bought a head on it's own once and had no idea what I was going to do with him. I just fell in love with his face. Unlike my other dolls when he arrived he got a pair of eyes I had bought for another doll as well as another dolls wig. I just wanted to see how he would look with them and immediately they just looked right. He then got a name Julian. He remained bodiless for a while (in a drawer but I took him out to look at often) and then another strange thing happened a body arrived for one of my other planned dolls and I thought I would try him on it. He fit perfectly like it was made for him and he is the most successful hybrid I own and I didn't even try:)
      Here he is when he was still floating:

[​IMG]

19. My floating heads stay in a box until I get a body for them. I'm not very good at sharing bodies so they need one of their own to move from the box into the living room with the other dollies. Right now, I have 4 floating head. I might just keep one.

20. No, I can't say I've ever specifically wanted just a floating head. It's interesting, though! I have a floating head at the moment, but only because I haven't been able to get my hands on the body I want for her. I'm kind of finicky in that I don't even like the idea of shared bodies (and I have different body types in mind for all my planned dolls), so ideally, I'd have no floating heads.