1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Your Collection of Floating Heads: Planning or Collection?

Aug 20, 2012

1. I have one floating head and I can't believe it's been almost a year that he's been without a body - he even has a pro face up, clothes, wig, eyes everything. I feel a little bad about him because it's not like I haven't bought other dolls since getting the head (just can't decide on his body). So until I decide, he hangs out in a box. I have on occasion let him borrow another dolls' body because I wanted to see him out with the others but it doesn't "feel right" because those bodies belong to other dolls/characters - which means that character is now a floating head. So yep, I don't like having floating heads or sharing bodies either.

Although the concept of having just a head as a character is interesting.

2. At the moment, I have one floating head, an AOD 1/3 Izumi pink skin that I purchased with the idea of practicing face-ups. Not sure whether I will do that or sell it, once I have marketplace access.

3. I'm so glad I'm not the only one with all of these floating head feelings!

I will say though, that I still have him on display, instead of stored away. I have a chair in my room where all of my dolls sit, and I put JJ on the chair with them. I don't actually have a box for him, but I'd much rather have him bodiless and placed nicely on my doll chair than stuffed in a box. It would bother me knowing that one of my Resin Roommates was not displayed properly with the others.

4. I have three different kinds of floating heads in my collection: Temporary, Permanent and Extra.
      The Extra heads are just that, one doll who has a few heads. They can be a sleeping head, or just a different expression (I have two other Migidoll Ryu heads for different looks for my "main" Ryu who is just the normal version).

Temporary floating heads are waiting for the day when I buy them a new body. My Dollmore Liebe Klum lost his body to a PW Goldie last year and is waiting a shiny, new Dollstown Elf body...should the day come when I can afford to buy one XD

Permanent floating heads are heads I bought either to mod (and never did) or do something with that never panned out, or heads I used to have as full dolls (FL F60 Nanuri 12 B -- Elf Karsh) and probably won't ever get bodies for, but don't want to sell.

Do you have multiples of the same head?
      Um. Yes. But they're all on bodies XD
      I do have two Migidoll Ryu heads in my box, but they're "extra" not floating. And one is Cynical and one is Vampire so they're not the same really...

What were your original plans for the heads?
      To be full dolls, of course. Some of them actually used to be on bodies. I have three heads Dollzone Moon and Star and Fairyland F60 Nanuri12B that I love and don't want to sell, but I either sold their bodies or are using them on other dolls now, so they float (they all float...down here...). Someday for sure I want to get the Moon and Star new bodies -- I have them both picked out -- but they aren't priority 1 so they wait.

A couple I did buy with the intention of modding...but it never happened. Or hasn't happened yet!

Will you continue to search for and purchase interesting heads whether or not they become part of a doll?
      I would like too. There's a few hard-to-find heads out there I'd like to own, regardless of if they have bodies or not. But I have yet to see them for sale anywhere, so this may never happen...

What is the main reason you have not made your heads into anything yet?
      Money lol
      I make other dolls a priority, so the heads will just hang out in their box until I actively start saving for their bodies.

All that said, I do have one head as a "character"...sort of. It's my Jungatoy Skull. Like his namesake - Bob - he's a skull. Unlike the Bob for whom he is named, he doesn't talk, or live, or do...anything. He's just a skull found by one of my characters who took him home and stuck him on a shelf and there he sits. The story of how he came to be was one of the first comics I ever drew...that no one is allowed to see because it's old and bad XD

Unlike my heads in boxes, he sits on my shelf with the full dolls as I do consider him finished and a doll...but when I count my dolls I don't usually include him and he's counted with the heads.

5. What kind of heads do you have or look for?
      At the moment I have the sleeping faceplates for four of my five LTFs, two MNM heads, and one FL event head; I've got some incoming as well, another LTF with sleeping faceplate, a MNF with sleeping head, and another FL event head.

Do you have mulitples of the same head?
      Yes! Not counting sleeping faceplates/heads (which are essentially doubles), I do have two of one of my MNM heads, one that was specially designed to shell two of my characters before anthro dolls became more common. (Technically, I actually have three of these heads, due to a mistake from DiM that landed me with a "damaged" cast I use as a practice head.)

The sleeping faces are pretty easy to explain. :XD: With the MNMs, all were meant to be shelled as full dolls eventually; one has been shelled, one is still floating pending settling on a body, and one was shelled, de-shelled, shelled again, and... is now moving on to be a bust only, when the bust/head stand arrives for him.

Will you continue to search for and purchase interesting heads whether or not they become part of a doll?
      I generally try to stick to heads for whom I can have a solid plan. With the FL event heads, the incoming order contains the body for the existing one, and the new one has a character in place and a body selected to be ordered later. With the remaining floating MNM, I'm just being extremely fussy about body options.

With the one that's been waiting around, it's just that I'm so picky about the body! She's an anthro character, and I have a particular body style in mind, but it's been hard to find something that actually suits what I want. So I'm biding my time right now; so many changes have happened in the realm of anthro dolls that I feel like it's only a matter of time before I finally find the perfect body for her (and her cousin, who is on a body but may be swapped out if I find the perfect ones). She'll get there eventually. With the MNM moving to a bust only, it's because I just can't settle on something that truly suits him due to his slightly off-sized head. I really want to shell his character, and found it was easier to reshell the head than to keep buying bodies that didn't work out. For the MNF head, her body's on the way. :) And for the new one, I just can't swing another body right now, but later this year, he'll get his body!

6. What kind of heads do you have or look for?
      I've got three here, Jungatoy Skull, BBB Demon, and mnf Shiwoo plus a Granado Mads on order.

The mnf shiwoo scarface shares a body with his sister depending on my mood. She's using the body right now so he's sitting in the basket with the other two heads.

To get bodies and complete the dolls.

Maybe. I have a weakness for Shiwoos and if I see one for a reasonable price I will pick them up. They can always share the Luts/Fairyland bodies have here.

Cost and indecisiveness. I'm being kind of picky about which body I want for the demon and skull. The poor skull has been on three different bodies since I've had her. My Shiwoo needs a female mnf body which is kind of tricky to locate. Whenever I do have some extra cash it seems that only the male bodies are up for sale. As for my incoming Mads I'm thinking either Impl or Spirit doll. While I like the Grando body I want something bigger.

7. What kind of heads do you have or look for?
      I'm up for any head so long as it's going for super cheap or it was given to me.
      Leeke Edgar, Soom Gena, CP Delf Yder, CP Delf Shiwoo, DoD Unknown Tiny, MNF Dreaming Vampire Woosoo, Dollzone Recall (possibly Linlan) and possibly a few more I've forgotten.

I have a Dreaming Vampire Elf Yder as a full doll if that counts but that's as close as it gets.

I bought them because I want to practice painting, finish whatever modding was possibly started, see that particular sculpt or I just wanted to get a feel for a company's style.

Yes. I don't usually search for heads, they just seem to pop up at convenient times.

I just can't convince myself to order 'just a body' even though I really want some. I also don't know about resin matches anymore since some of the companies have changed their colors a bit since these were made. A few of my
      heads have actually stolen bodies from some of my full dolls.

8. What kind of heads do you have or look for?

Currently , I'm waiting my IOS Infernale head to be ship for me. It's exciting since this is the first mold I actually fell in love :fangirl:
      and for the wishlist, I hoping to get head / head + body of Dolfie Dream Sister Akira with pair blue eyes.

Only 1 for now.

I'll hybrid with other company doll who can match, the height should be around 65cm/ normal skin. His original company body is too big o_O

Only if I really like the sculpt. I have to stick with my doll's family plan.

No yet find suitable body yet? + low budget currently.

9. What kinds of heads do you have or look for?

The bulk of my floating heads are Soom Little Gems. I have pretty much every skin tone of Little Gem, so I don't mind having extra floating heads about! I also keep an eye out for SD Volks heads I like as I have all three of those skintones and a variety of bodies now.

Yes! If I quite like the Little Gem sculpt then I'll usually have the heads in whatever skin tones have been released. I'm a sucker for that. I also plan to buy another DWC #02 head at some point because I want to make two very different looks with it.

I have to compromise and body share, for the sake of both space and money. However I still pick up bodies here and there when I find them cheap. All of the heads are going to be one of my characters at some point. Most of them have names attached to them even if they are completely unpainted. Also, part of the reason for having multiples of the same head are because I like practicing faceups and like to see how I can make a sculpt work in different ways.

Yes, because a big part of this is taking joy in the process of the face up. I don't mind body swapping so much--as it stands I have about 40 complete dolls, so it's okay to change them around a bit. I don't feel a floating head is any 'less' of a doll--it's just someone who isn't on display for now:)

Time constraints! It takes ages for me to faceup a doll, because the weather has to be clear for the sealant and I have to be in the mood to concentrate on it. Also, I have unpainted heads on bodies already on display, and I'm more likely to paint those first. Also, I often tend to get bored with my old faceups or the company faceup in the case of Volks dolls, and end up redoing those instead of putting a faceup on a head that is already blank^^;

10. I have one floating head. It came to me on a bit of a fluke. My daughter ordered two tan dolls during Fairyland's event last summer and promised me the MNF Juri head when it came. She's still sitting around on her own, but I'm planning on getting her a body. Eventually. :)

11. What kind of heads do you have or look for?
      For features, colour match and size matching I prefer Volks heads or heads from companies whose resin is a good match for Volks. The bodies I have available for head switching are both Volks, so if every head I get colour matches with Volks and neck hole sizes match with Volks it's a good fit for me.

At the moment I have three floating heads and one floating LTF faceplate; Poppy, my Volks F-03 (sleeping Four Sisters head,) Tommie, my Volks Kun, my DIM Bellosse head, Ziylora, and my Pongpong's sleeping face. I also just put down a deposit for a Crobidoll Thor head, so I'll soon have four floating heads!

I used to, after a fashion. I used to have a Volks Megu/Four Sisters head and I had my F-03, but because one was open eyed and the other a sleeping sculpt they weren't identical. They were also different colours. The Megu was Volks NS and the F-03 is very creamy yellowed WS and has been modded. It's a similar story with my LittleFee Pongpong's faceplates, I have both the OE and the Sleeping, but both faceplates are just different expressions for the same character, whereas all of my floating heads are different characters.

My original plan for my DIM Bellosse was to get her a Doll Chateau Youth-03 body because she's supposed to be an alien character. DIM resin really does not go with Volks resin and where I am in the hobby at the moment, I would rather have heads and bodies that work together so I can save on storage space a bit (I only have to worry about storing 2 full SD-size dolls at any one time instead of 6 if I got bodies for each of my floating heads,) and also I can keep down the number of resin residents, so it feels counter-intuitive to me to buy an expensive body that will only go with one of my floating heads. If I was to buy another body it would probably be another Volks SD13 or Graffiti girl body to work with the most floating heads in my collection.

Yes, I think so. I still like my DIM Bellosse head a lot and one day I might see about getting her a body, or I might just get her a bust and have her on display as a head + shoulders art piece! I would also love to have Unoa Lusis, B-el and L-bi faceplates to go with my Unoa Sist. If I do that though each faceplate would be a different character rather than different expressions for the same character.

I suppose money plays into it a lot, but also where I am in the hobby is important as well. I've been collecting BJDs since 2008 and I've found out that having a lot of dolls at once really doesn't work well for me. Having heads that I can switch on to bodies means that I can mix things up and hang out with a different doll every day if I want to without having to find extra storage space for entire dolls, especially since I have other BJDs besides my SDs.

12. What kind of heads do you have or look for?
      I have one soom floating head; I bought it for two seasons:the first,the price is cheaper than any heads of soom,the second,the head is like one of my favourite doll,but the doll has sold out !
      Do you have mutiples of the same head? - No,though I like twins,I think a head is enough.
      What were your original plans for the heads? - I plan to wait the head back and look for suitabe body for him

Will you continue to search for and purchase interesting heads whether or not they become part of a doll? - No,I have three doll,I think I feel happy

What is the main reason you have not made your heads into anything yet? - I have enough money or there isn't suitable for him in the doll market

13. What kind of heads do you have or look for?
      I currently have two floating heads: A Unoa Lusis full head and a Parabox Obitsu Megu Head

I did actually have two Minifee Shushu heads, but both have bodies now. ^_^

I love that BJDs are fully customizable right down to the bodies and heads. I like making hybrids because I can have exactly what I'm looking for in a doll's personality!

Yes!!!! Although I may have to get a special box for them..>.>

Well, I found the right body for my Unoa (almost 2 years later- yikes) now it's just a matter of affording it! I'm glad that my pile of heads went from 4 to just 2 now!

14. What kind of heads do you have or look for?
      I usually don't go looking for them. I got one because I loved the face-up. That's probably the only reason I would ever actively pursue one. Also, I want to say that I only get them with the intention of getting them a body in the future and to this point I have with the exception of a freebie head I got with another doll. Since I didn't really pick it out, I don't know what the heck to do with it.

No. I wouldn't do that. It'd be a waste of money for me.

Well, with my DZ Hid, the plan was to save up and buy him a DZ body. I did that when I had the money a year later. This is pretty normal for me. If I actually buy them, I am going to get them a body, not leave them just a head.

No. I won't unless I have the plan to make them into a character and get them a body.

I have no plans for my one floating head since it was a freebie. I gave it a nice face-up and it's just in my closet. I might think of something for it sometime, but I don't know at this point.

15. I have one floating head and I bought him as a head to practice face ups on and then fell in love with his face so I'm trying to get him a body now

16. What kind of heads do you have or look for?
      - I used to have a MD V. Miho floating head for almost a year. I got him from V.Miho limited event but that time I didn't have much plan for him, just liked his mold. But this early year, I finally decided to give him a body. So now he became a full doll like my others. I was happy to choose to make him be a completed doll.
      - For now, I'm looking for an IOS Lacrimosa head and if my budget for this year haven't run out yet, I will also find Volks Okita head too. Sadly that they are quite expensive and difficult to find now. For IOS head, I may wait until their next release (wish so). But for Okita...I may consider to find other similar mold for alternative instead, if I can't find one or too expensive to me to afford.

No. I still don't have any plan to own multiple head. But the idea is quite cool for a pair of twin dolls. I will consider it later. :XD:

Not much for V.Miho head. I bought this head because I loved his mold and I didn't want to miss the last chance to get him with wonderful price :)

Not really, from now I'm planning all floating head will get their body. Even though it will take sometime but surely. I probably buy an interesting head when I see one but still have to consider the limited number of my dolls in collection for now. And another factor which makes me to consider about getting new one, is...if I keep the floating heads for year and want to get a body for it one day, it will become a difficult job because both resin color might be too different, although they are from same company or have perfect match. As all we know, resin yellowing is natural process and companies change their resin types quite often. Only way to get the right one, must be to compare them one to one and observe with my own eyes...(difficult to have a chance to compare body with seller personally).

The first reason is...just like his head sculpt but not interested in body or haven't found nice one to match yet. But this reason occurs rarely. The Next one is "money". I always limited money for my hobby, so that it won't burden other things. So to get a head is more important because sometime they are limited or difficult to find. But the body can find it later (not to long). :)

17. That's a good question. I have only one floating head but it's like two heads share one body depending on my mood. The main reason is that this is a 65 cm body so it's quite expensive and also bigger dolls take space for storage. I'm not sure if I would search for some more doll heads one day. Now I'm quite satisfied with these two.

18. This is a good topic to resurrect.

What kind of heads do you have or look for?

I have Agent Mads (Granado), Chaos (IOS), Ji Tian (POPO), vampire NaNuRi (CP), vampire Kagel (Souldoll) and others. I want vampire Ruber (NAPIdoll).

Yes. I have two vampires Lestat by Huayi.

I still hope to embody it all.

I don’t search for more heads but can’t stop to find it.

No money enough or, sometimes, absolutely no body for sale.

19. What kind of heads do you have or look for?

Heads that I like, I am very drawn to the scuplt. and also they have to be close to resin match with the bodies that I do have.

Yes actually, I have 5 esthy peroths :)

To give them their own bodies, but that never happened, instead, they share bodies with my other dolls.

Yes, most likely

Cost mostly, it's less expensive to have floating heads that can share bodies and also to keep my doll-shelf from overflowing. Space is also a reason.

20. What kind of heads do you have or look for?
      Of course I do. I love mature looking boys and cute girls (with mature, curvy bodies). I've stuck with human and beautiful thus far exclusively, but I'm sure that will change in the future.

Nope! Still new to the hobby and I'm lucky to have just one of a floating head! I personally could not see the appeal of having two of the same head. Each of my dolls is unique and I'd rather use the money to get another doll from another company.

I have two floating heads right now, but I have a body on the way for my Minifee Rin and I don't think I will keep my Akagi Doll Ban.

No. For me, all heads are bought with the intention of having a body some day. I have yet to encounter a reason to have only a head.

Because bodies are expensive and I probably didn't like the original body! Also, for one of my heads, the body is common but the head was a little harder to find so I jumped into the chance to have one before I could get a body.