1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Your Collection of Floating Heads: Planning or Collection?

Aug 20, 2012

1. What kind of heads do you have or look for?
      I currently have an Impldoll Plaice, Impldoll Martin, DIM Hamish, and Mystic Kids Melody as floating heads. My IOS Anima head should be arriving early next week, so then I'll be up to five. I look for heads that fit characters that I have planned for my stories.

Do you have mulitples of the same head?
      No, and I don't really plan to. None of my characters are twins or anything like that. I am getting two of Dollshe's Grant Phillippe but one has closed eyes and one has open eyes, so they're not really the same. :)

What were your original plans for the heads?
      Shelling characters. I have a list of characters I want to shell and I'm working on it. Heads often come before bodies, though not always. I do love to hybrid as often I find the perfect face, but the wrong body type!

Will you continue to search for and purchase interesting heads whether or not they become part of a doll?
      After I get the ones on my list? Probably not.

What is the main reason you have not made your heads into anything yet?
      I'm working on it! I have a layaway for four bodies in progress with one company, and plan to start another layaway in September for another body, and even more bodies are factored in the budget for early next year. They'll all get bodies soon enough!

2. What kind of heads do you have or look for?
      The head has to suit the character I have in mind. Bodies can be worked around; it's the head that makes or breaks the doll, imo.

Do you have multiples of the same head?
      Nope! No duplicates here :) Most of my floating heads are from back when Minimees were getting popular.

Bodies for everybody, and at least one "in character" outfit.

Will you continue to search for and purchase interesting heads whether or not they become part of a doll?
      Only if it suits a character I have in mind. If I bought all the interesting heads I came across, I'd have no room for me in my own home! :lol:

Rent and internet and food unfortunately have to take precedence. [Being an adult is hard! ;)]

3. I have a few Floating Heads... but at this point all of them that were intended to have bodies do. The rest are kept mostly for completeness' sake either being alternate heads from full sets, or variations on sculpts that I wanted to have a "complete set" of, though not necessarily as full dolls (My MiniFee Breakaway heads are in that category-). I don't list any of them on my profile or consider them a real part of the gang. They're more like accessories.

One little head (Manny, my JungaToy D-Skull) is an exception, though. He's permanently disembodied... I never intended him to be anything but a floater... But in spite of that, he's always been a full member of the crew. He's sort-of the Bob to Cammeron's Dresden. A magician's chatty Familiar who likes to hang out in an old skull. He doesn't need a body to be who he is. :lol:

4. I haven't really started collecting heads yet but it's what I really intent to do since I enjoy doing face ups.

I'm interested on limited ones, sold out from yhe company store, event heads and such. I would prefer second hands still since affording brand new from a company is too much for me right now.

I originally just wanted to use them for faceup practice but it seemed really fun collecting heads more than a whole doll since I cannot come up with a new character.

#84 SillyDes, Aug 8, 2016
      Last edited: Aug 8, 2016
    5. I have one floating head. However, it's of the sculpt I already have, so I'm not certain what to do with it.

6. I have a floater at the moment, though that's because I'm waiting on a deal on her body (next fairyland split, here I come!) at current moment, I actually have more bodies than heads (waiting on three heads but have 4 floating bodies.) this happened because one of my characters decided he wanted a better body. There is a reason why he's the villain

7. I am quite sure: the idea to own many heads which suit to the same body is perfect indeed!
      The place is limited, so only a part of the collection can be displayed. If you simply change the heads, you give a chance for every doll to appear. :thumbup

8. I have one, lonely, floating head, just waiting for his body to arrive. There is a plan, he even has an outfit, but it's just a manner of waiting. :/

9. What kind of heads do you have or look for?
      I have a Fairyland Sia head and Peak's Woods FOC Dandy Briana Head that was an impulsive buy

No, but I was thinking about it. You can use multiples head of the same sculpt for multiples expressions and that would be great!

In the future they will have their own bodies, I have plan for them, but for now they will share xx

If I really like the sculpt but I don't have the money or I don't like the body, yes, I will do it.

Eh. I have other dolls on layaway and I don't have money for them now, sadly.

10. What kind of heads do you have or look for?
      I want most of the IOS heads and a lot of Ringdoll heads, but other than that, I'm always on the lookout for unique sculpts that appeal to me or remind me of my characters.

I do, actually. My first doll came to me with unmentioned scratches on his head, so I got a replacement from IOS. The newer head lurks in a box, awaiting the day I have the skills to give him a good enough faceup.

Eventually I want to shell quite a few of my characters. That's usually the plan, though some particularly neat, unplanned sculpts have squeezed in there.

Mayyybe. If it's interesting/appealing enough.

Money, of course. :C

11. I have a floating head that I'm waiting on a body for. She is a MNF Miyu sculpt, and I can't wait for her body to get here, an then maybe I can get her character together.

12. What kind of heads do you have or look for?
      I have a whole bunch of Minimee heads when DIM was still in business making them. Gosh I miss that service. Anyway I was looking for sculpts that would fit my characters from either a RP or OC from some story that I would make up in my head.

Yes, a Roxas and Rufus Shinra Minimee heads.

Of course! I'm looking at some from IoS

Money. Bodies are expensive and the ones that I want for one of my character is rightly so.

13. What kind of heads do you have or look for?
      I have just purchased a SWITCH Milhwa and a CP Nanuri 07 heads. I am constantly looking for new heads, but I don't have anything specific I look for apart from falling in love at first sight

No, I am happy with one of each. I had more than one CP EL but i ended up selling the second one.

all my heads are becoming full dolls.

I am waiting for one of the bodies to arrive, the other I need more money before I can complete

14. What kind of heads do you have or look for?
      I have one floating head, just a MSD-sized event one that came with my first... I haven't really head-hunted, but I'm not opposed to winding up with more floating heads, either...

Nope. I'm unlikely to go for a sleeping head, so I've never had a 'twin' floating around, nor do I particularly expect to... then again, never say never.

Well, when I wound up with a floating head coming my way, the plan I made was to keep him bodiless. (he's hijacked Vince's body before, just as a sort of 'special occasion', but I kind of had a plan for a little severed head, so... yeah)

I might. I have no set plans... but I have to say, the right interesting head would get me.

The character I based him on had spent some time living as a disembodied head, and so I really just got a kick out of having him in that form (even if his face looks a little too young to really fit that point in his story... still, I love it). He's never going to have a body of his own-- I may someday find a doll that looks a little more in line with how he looks as an adult, and if I re-shelled him, then he might have one disembodied head self and one regular self, but I really love the fact that he is just a head.

15. What kind of heads do you have or look for?
      I'm new to the hobby and didn't get a chance to obtain a lot of limited and event heads. Thus those are what I look for. I also like originality; my grail head is one of the most original sculpts I've ever seen.

Indeed I do. My Johanna has two Juri 2013 heads. She has a split personality and the heads are for her two "halves," so to speak.

Johanna's two heads have radically different face-ups. I was originally intending to find a body for each head and make the heads into twins, but neither Johanna nor her sister had strong personalities on their own. Plus that would've been one more girl to dress, one more style to try and throw together. In the long run it's shown to be more cost-efficient and easy to merge the two personalities.

I'm actually pretty picky about the heads I want. Right now I only want one or two. Once I've got them I should be pretty satisfied. So yes I'll continue to search because searching is fun, but unless I find something really unique I won't buy too many floating heads.

I spent all my money on clothes for the other dolls! LOL, I fully intend to turn Johanna into a full doll (one body with two heads that I'll switch) once I have enough money set aside to get her a body.

16. I have two floating heads... and two floating bodies that don't match the heads ^^;;;

One head is a spare - I have two of this sculpt, Musedoll Reche, one is faceupped and on a body and the other I had meant to sell but for now would rather just hang on to it. Just in case I want twins at some point. Or if I decide to go through with the small modifications I have been considering.

The other, my Kill_U 1st head, I definitely want to get a body for but I am hung up on deciding which one. I love the Feeple 65 body, which I already own and belongs to my Lucas head, but do I want these two dolls to have the same body? Hmm... I also really like the Feeple 60 boy body and the Dollzone new 60 boy body, but remain uncertain.

17. What kind of heads do you have or look for?
      I have a Crobidoll Lance head, a Migidoll Janus Miho, Marchen Waltz Stella, Fairyland mnf RFA, and a Doll Family Zhi Yan.

No, but I'd love another Stella :3c

Lance is gonna be my plant mage Dimitri, Stella is gonna be the rainbow pastel singer Orpheus, Janus Miho is gonna be Hisoka from HunterxHunter, and the two msd heads don't have any real plans.

I'm always on the lookout for MW Stella heads, especially since they seem to have closed down :C Same with Rosetta Zio, I've been after one of those for a while.

Money, and I'm very fussy about bodies for my boys. They're all either not muscley enough or way too muscley. Plus my Lance head has yellowed since he was a second hand purchase, so that makes finding him a body a wee bit harder than the others.

18. What kind of heads do you have or look for?
      The only one that I've ever bought, I've already ordered a body for. I also have two sleeping heads and two randoms that came in an event.

Only if you count sleeping heads.

The elf is getting a body. The sleeping ones just get switched out. And I have no real plans for the event heads. I daydream about getting one a body but, that's not high on my wish list.

I wouldn't do it on purpose. But if I fall in love with one then... I guess I would.

It costs money. lol.

19. What kind of heads do you have or look for?
      I have a Soom Romantic Dia and an OrDoll Orlando. I might buy another head if I think it would be a better shell of one of my existing characters.

Nope! No multiples!

I planned to hybrid them with the Supiadoll 60cm body to make my "Kore." They were way too big! I will probably look to sell them when I get around to it.

I would purchase an interesting head if I wanted it to replace an already shelled character or hybrid for a new doll.

I plan to sell them, although I will be pretty sad to part with Orlando (those teeth!).

20. What kind of heads do you have or look for? I always seem to have a couple of floating heads, but I get antsy if I have more than 2 for some reason. Right now I have a Yukinojo head and Link head that I am working on acquiring bodies for currently. I really am tempted to purchase some IOS and Maskcat heads, as the sculpts are gorgeous, but will try to wait until my boys are taken care of.

Do you have mulitples of the same head? No, never really been interested in twins. However, it could be interesting to try to capture really different personalities using the same sculpt. Maybe someday.

What were your original plans for the heads? To get bodies for them eventually.

Will you continue to search for and purchase interesting heads whether or not they become part of a doll? Yes! Even though I really don't want to be a head collector, I can't afford whole dolls generally all at once. Plus I rather like the hunt for ideal bodies.

What is the main reason you have not made your heads into anything yet? Lack of money ;).