1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Your Collection of Floating Heads: Planning or Collection?

Aug 20, 2012

1. What kind of heads do you have or look for?
      uniquely design heads based on my taste and opinion.
      What were your original plans for the heads?
      some of the heads that i plan to buy is to make them into hybrids, some is... i just like their head sculpt and might not give them a body but i'm not sure yet...
      Will you continue to search for and purchase interesting heads whether or not they become part of a doll?
      yes.

2. What kind of heads do you have or look for?
      For me, the head is the character (although the type of body is important, there are multiple bodies most of the time that will suit).
      Do you have multiples of the same head?
      Yeah, because one will be an older family member (usually parent)
      Some of my characters share bodies, some of the heads (my Anubis & Bast, whatever Soom called them) are for special photo shoots only.
      Will you continue to search for and purchase interesting heads whether or not they become part of a doll?
      Only heads for characters I need to shell. I have 7 left to get right now.
      What is the main reason you have not made your heads into anything yet?
      Because, except for one of them, they will NEVER have 'their own body' - they will SHARE bodies. They ARE something already! Except for the ones that still need their faceups LOL

3. What kind of heads do you have or look for?
      I have an Alice In Labyrinth Elijah and a Doll Zone Carter that I'm working on now, and a Doll Clans Vezento, Miracle Doll Bai Hua, Xaga Doll Cyril, and Ring Doll Carmilla on the way. I think that's it.

No, and the only reason I would get one is if I planned on doing some crazy custom work on one or both.

Most all of them are going to become characters that already exist (albeit with some significant modifications on Cyril). Carter is in the process of becoming a wendigo in combination with a Doll Chateau A05 body. Bai Hua is the only one I got a faceup on, and I'm still planning on what sort of body to get him. Carmilla is the wild card, because I got her as part of a "buy a doll, get a free head... of the opposite gender" deal (which was an interesting experiment in trying to identify a doll's gender just by the face-- can't be done). I have a vague idea of what I'm going to do with her faceup.

Abso. Lutely. Head hunting is the best way to get the sculpts I want without having to throw down hundreds of dollars at once or else risk it ~Going back into the Disney Vault~ or whatever. Plus, sometimes I just don't like the body it comes with.

Why, MONEY, my dear boy. Bodies are damn expensive. I could probably get a real human one for less than some companies charge. I'd just need to do some networking first...

4. I dont usually answer these since I'm so new to the hobby but I've already started noticing a trend in my purchases tbh ahhh

What kind of heads do you have or look for?

Heads that catch my interest or match my art style! I like doing very masculine facial structures with strong cheekbones/jawlines. I also tend to like really elegant and delicate faces. I've bought 7 heads and one body and I'm planning to chase down 2 more once i get market place access. I like heads a lot more than bodies and I plan on only having 3 because the anatomy bugs me a lot on most dolls. Also i just dont have the room for multiple bodies.

Do you have mulitples of the same head?
      I dont currently but I wouldn't mind collecting multiple of the same. I guess one would be good to have as a blank and the other would be nice to have faceups on.

None! I tend to just keep most of them blank

Definitely! Collecting faces that I like is how i'm enjoying the hobby. I also intend to make my own sculpts in the future but there's not too many bodies that are catching my interest rn.

I just like them as is. I collect things that I like and find pretty. If i got them bodies and faceups, I'd feel like I'd need to be more careful with them/use them and I'd rather grab the heads and turn them as I want to admire the sculpts.

5. I can't stand having heads laying about, it drives me crazy. So any floating head i'd either have because I was planning a hybrid, or be intending to sell. But as I don't tend to buy dolls unless I have the cash in hand to pay for the WHOLE doll in one go, I doubt i'll get many floating heads unless they're free gifts or they show up cheap and they're exactly what I want.

I have a box here that's my "random doll bits" box which contains all my decapitated fashion dolls lol. It's the body donor box, and then I shove the rejected head on whatever static lame body I can't use for anything and they get shoved in the closet till i can be bothered taking them to the charity shop. I don't like throwing things away, not even broken doll bits, so everything gets held onto but I admit, if I had the heads out, it would make me crazy. Having them put away in a box waiting for a body or bodies awaiting heads eases that a little. But I still don't much like having incomplete dolls. I hate leaving anything unfinished.
      I couldn't do that sharing bodies thing, I just... I couldn't do it. Each of my dolls needs to be FINISHED for me to feel happy, otherwise I get like.. this itching in my brain.

6. Most of my floating heads are on the rare or hard to find, since they are impulse buy cuz I'm afraid there might not be a second chance. I have two of the same head when I shell twins. These are my current floating heads. I've also noticed that all my floating heads have mouth parts.

IMG_20190129_205009

7. What kind of heads do you have or look for?
      hard to say, mostly msd
      Yes, one is a very different faceup from its twin and the others are open/sleeping variations
      I originally planned on selling the extra heads, the ones where you order a doll and they send two heads, but then I grew attached
      Absolutely, especially if I can put it on someone else's body just for taking pictures
      a very good reason! They are stored in darling little wooden boxes with velvet lining, and they are displayed in a cabinet so it looks cute even when they aren't bodied. So I've felt no rush.

8. What kind of heads do you have or look for?
      I don't actively look out for floating heads. The unfinished doll thing drives me crazy! (I don't know how any of you can do the body share thing. None of the characters I make into dolls are remotely similar enough.)

I have a floating head because he was an artist cast that never had a body to begin with. I wasn't going to pass up on having a lizardman (atelier cynamon havok-ba), so I couldn't resist. I am also actively searching for an older fairyland head, and I have plans for how I want to body her.

Nope! It would be a cute idea to have sleeping heads of some of my full dolls, but it's just not practical to do.

I have characters planned for the head I have and the one I'm looking to find, so nothing too exciting as it is just looking to have complete dolls.

If it is an interesting head I might be swayed, but only if I can get a body within a certain amount of time. Otherwise there isn't much point because I feel bad for floating heads, and if I can't get to finishing the project than there's no point in having it.

Simple, money! Although I did get an order put in for a body for my current head, I'm hoping it doesn't take too long. I'm hoping at maximum it only takes a couple months so my head will only have been "floating" for a few months total.

9. What kind of heads do you have or look for?

I have one single floating bjd head at the moment, an MDR Fang. However, I have a sprawling collection of antique doll heads and limbs that I've acquired over the course of my life. My attraction to Fang was different from my interest in the other heads (and parts), though. I loved her face, and I was immediately filled with a since of "knowing" her. With the antique heads, it was more of a passive interest in the levels of texture, destruction, and repair that are present.

Nope. I have an ongoing fascination with twins, but I doubt that I will do that with bjds.

I originally wanted to turn her into a long-standing character that hasn't quite come together with other doll lines and mediums. However, I ultimately decided to use another doll for that character, and now I'm really excited to turn Fang into a bjd version of a childhood book heroine favorite.

I'm not opposed, but I don't think that I would intentionally desire having a lot of bjd heads with no bodies.

The eternal blights of the collector: Time and Money. There are things that I can't make that would need to be purchased, and I need to have her body before starting the process of sewing for her.

10. What kind of heads do you have or look for?
      Mostly heads by small artists – sculpts that I know I have one chance to buy or I won’t see again. That said, I do have one floating head of a basic, widely available sculpt that I was afraid would be discontinued and wanted to get a new version for resin matching.

I do, but they’re for different characters! I have two Oasisdoll Natalies and two Migidoll Jinas. I realized that the Natalie sculpt resembled the sculpt I selected for her brother’s character far more than the other sculpt I picked, so I picked up a second. Plus, it’s a beautiful doll, haha! One of my Jina heads is very old/yellowed so I’ve relegated it for practice.

4/6 of my floating heads are for designated characters. One I picked up to be a character, but found a sculpt that worked better. The last one is Rosettadoll Agave, which I loved and just recently became available again.

Maaaybe. I’m cutting myself off for the moment! I have to buy bodies/eyes/face-ups and at my current rate of collecting, that will take some time.

Mostly budget, haha! That said, most of my girl heads are a reasonable match to a body I currently have, so I don’t mind trading them out occasionally.

11. Honestly, I don't collect a lot of floating heads because I usually have a specific body in mind for a head when I buy it. MSD floating heads don't float for long.

BUT now that I've given in and started collecting SD sculpts I like... Yeah, there's no room for a bunch of SD bodies in my life. They're a lot more expensive and (in my opinion anyways) a lot uglier across the board, so I don't feel the joy and excitement I do when buying cute MSD bodies. Buying SD bodies feels like a chore, so I don't do it.

12. I try not to get any floating heads because I don't want to accumulate so many (and knowing me I would) without getting them either a body or even a bust stand. I also don't think I have enough space because I have other things in my room for my other hobbies and don't want to take space in other parts of my house because it wouldn't be fair for my parents. That being said, I only have one floating head and it is the same sculpt as one of my completed full doll, and I plan on getting her just a bust stand.

Edit: Forgot to mention that I did find a "rare" head from a discontinued company that I can see myself getting LOL :wiggle

13. What kind of heads do you have or look for?

Anything that matches the character ideas, or they look cute.

I actually have two Haruka Obitsu heads. One's a Nano-Haruka and the other is the regular sized on an MSD body.

The original plan for the Nano-Haruka was just faceup tests, but once I got semi-done, there was just: "This would look really cute on a body." and so I bought a body and eyes and he became his own doll.

The plan for the bigger Haruka, was I had a body in coming and I wasn't about to have a floating body too. She was in stock at Junkyspot and I slammed down the order button and bought a wig.

Hm... Depends on the head honestly. I saw some really pretty heads with gorgeous faceups but I don't wanna have that over MY head personally. If it was a head that I could easily get a resin matched body for and I really wanted it/it matched a character of mine, than sure! Get in my life!

This one actually doesn't apply to me since I did make mine into dolls but I wanted to share my own experiences with having floating heads.

My nano-Haruka was body less for about two months and for awhile was just "The Shrunken Head" and funnily enough after a month of having him I got my Resinsoul Song. My MSD girl, was without a body for about forty five minutes funnily enough. I got a huge order of mail that day and when I got her and a swap package for my RS Song, about forty five minutes later the mail carrier came back with another package apologizing for almost forgetting it. It was her body. So it was pretty funny an experience. Guess she really REALLY wanted to be finished.

14. I prefer not to have extra heads around.
      I've only intentionally bought heads only twice. One took the better part of two years to sort out a body, a Souldoll double boy head Yurr, eventually ended up on a Souldoll Zenith girl body as they use the same size head but that wasn't my first attempt at finding a match. My second was a Migidoll Jina from Migidoll having a blindbox-style head sale, exceptionally cute but I found I wasn't up for another body search.
      The only floating head I'm stuck with is the dreaming head for my Soom Sov. I don't have much of a need for it, but being green not easy to find a body for, so just sits in a box. The rest of my floating heads (event heads or other) have been sold.

15. I don’t like having extra heads. It’s too much money sitting in a drawer unused and underappreciated. Currently I have five, with some due to depart, one whose body is being borrowed and two minor characters awaiting their turn in daylight. (Their presence seems justified even if that day never comes- one only cost me $40 and is living as a practice head, and the other is a custom minimee who doesn’t exactly fit with my group but whom I consider nearly irreplaceable.)

Even so, I feel guilty whenever I open the parts drawer. It’s like wasted potential and a big to-do list every time. I don’t buy heads without the intent to give them a body, but the quest for the perfect hybrid can take years and sometimes you have to evaluate if the character is really ‘worth’ another $200-400 investment for completion.

16. What kind of heads do you have or look for?
      I look for heads that are already on my wishlist, and that I know I can find bodies for.

I do not... although there are a few Delf heads that if I see them for sale I will buy them, and then I would have two.

The plans for all of my floating heads have always been get them a body some day. I don't buy heads for the sake of owning the head.

I would not, because my interest is in designing clothing, and putting together complete pictures of doll + outfit. So unless I have a plan for the kind of faceup I want to get for a head and what clothes I want for it, I will not get a head.

Several different reasons. For one of my dolls, I know I want a Luts Senior Delf girl body, but I have still not decided between the type 3 and type 4 bodies. For another head, I want a Soom body with wings, but no fantasy feet, so it's a matter of waiting for the right split to come along, or waiting for the exact body I want to appear on the marketplace.

.... two of the heads I bought were intended for ideas that would require a little modding to get them perfect, and before I could get the modding done, two OTHER dolls were released that were much better for my purposes than the heads I had originally picked (no modding required) so now I'm just waiting until my life is a little less chaotic before posting them on the marketplace.

And one head is my Angell Studio Hilda, and Angell Studio apparently changed all their resin color names around after my split partner and I got her... I have no idea what "solid white skin tone" resin is, but once I figure it out I plan to order her a body.

17. I currently have 2 floating heads, and just ordered another.

I mainly have mature tinies, so any head I'd be interested in would have to fit with that scale.

Sort of. One of my Soom dolls came with a "romantic" head and a normal OE head. The two heads don't look like the same character, so the "romantic" one has the body, and the OE one is currently floating.

The only heads I've ordered were/are intended as hybrids. I did't originally plan to do anything with the extra Soom head, and the DZ one was for a hybrid that didn't work due to scale and resin color. The Soom head has a body on my wishlist now. The DZ one is in a resin color that's no longer made, so I haven't decided whether to get it a body and try to dye them to match.

No. Only heads that will get bodies.

Not having money for bodies. Only recently decided to do anything with the Soom head, and limited dolls keep taking priority.

#117 Leo Pheonix, Feb 15, 2019
      Last edited: Feb 15, 2019
    18. What kind of heads do you have or look for?
      I just have 2, a Fairyland PukiPuki Cupid that I got free from an event years ago that I FINALLY ordered a Tiny Delf body for, and a Doll Love Cecelia that I saw at the last doll meet I went to and just HAD to have (I wasn't planning on buying anything but whoops)
      No~ Thankfully
      the Cupid head I never really had an idea for, and finally decided to try and get a Puki body for [her] but they were all sold out, so I thought to look for similar sized bodies and landed with a Tiny Delf. Also, I saw the Kiwi Romance version Kid Delf and bought her in the same transaction. As for the Doll Love Cecelia head, I have a beautiful body picked out for her (Dream Valley B4-06 with the wings)
      I'm not planning on it but if it happens, it happens haha
      I am poor lol

19. What kind of heads do you have or look for?
      • The odd floater from the company that didn't sell bodies or I couldn't afford the body of (Venitu ie...)
      • Dollfie Dreams that are either customs (some I made) or limited editions I got secondhand

Nope

They haven't really changed, I only buy dolls to shell my OCs, the floaters are OC shells, they just have to dorm on bodies because of reasons I'll explain in the appropriate question bellow. They all have faceups, wigs, eyes, clothes, styles, personalities and stories.

Not really, as said I only buy to shell my OCs.

• Space & money restrictions mostly. I am really into SDs so it's rather hard sometimes. I have two heads in that scale that currently share my Crobidoll B-line and Volks SD17 respecively alongside with the original owner. I hope maybe I will be able to get them bodies one day in the future too, though.
      • The MSDs are a matter of time and availability. My Mushiyi will go on a Doll Leaves body eventually, and my tan Ante just needs Fairyland to release tan for their fairyline line again so he can finally be complete.
      • Lastly the Dollfie Dreams are just waiting for Volks to release boy bodies for the most part, while one is waiting for me to get around and buy their Obitsu body instead.

20. Oh, this is an interesting little questionnaire. Thanks, OP!

Most of my heads are male SD's, with the exception of one male MSD and one male SD that I have plans to put on a female body. I don't typically "look" for certain types of heads; I just happen to come across one now and again that I fall in love with. Unique facial features tend to draw me in.

Nope!

Admittedly, the only head that I really had a definite plan for right off the bat was my Goki-doll Mini-Kai, who I intend to shell a character with. The other ones ... ? Just kind of fell in love on the marketplace. By now, all but two of them have plans for future dolls, but I haven't gotten around to most of them yet.

I really try not to, to be quite honest! I find it kind of frustrating to have loose doll-heads floating around without any bodies to go with them. I want to be able to sew and style for my dolls, so having just the head and no body is kind of demoralizing, haha.

Money, money, money ... -- and space. I don't have my own place yet, so storage space is limited. Plus, BJD's are expensive! I can only purchase so many things in a year ...