1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Your Dolls and Security Officers-ever a problem?

Aug 15, 2008

1. And guys.. if you ever go into Walmart with a doll.. seriously.. act sneaky. :D No. Really. Carry your doll in through the front door, holding it in plain sight (this is also fun to do at Target!), then sort of.. tuck it away. Take it in and out of your bag several times, in Electronics. You have to do it in electronics. :D Go into toys, then into electronics, and do it some more. ^^

If you get picked up (which you shouldn't, because they need five steps to pick you up, and the first step is observing you in the area WITHOUT the merchandise, and the second is selecting the merchandise off a shelf, which they won't get, since, you know, it's YOUR DOLL), then you can actually sue them, and they'll settle and give you like a few thousand dollars. ^^

2. I was kind of worried about taking a doll to the mall and having it stolen, so I've sewn a little strap into my purse so can strap either an MSD or SD-sized doll in there. It's good and tight, so if Ivanho or Freja's poking out of my purse and waving to people, they can't just be snatched up. =D

I'll probably end up going to the mall with my friends or something and bringing a doll along. As long as I have them strapped in and keep them close to me (never let them out of my sight!) then I'll be fine.

3. My first, last, and only meetup outside of a con was in DC. Everyone took their dolls into museums with them, and the security officers loved them! Especially the little DZ MSD girl in the bunch. They thought she was just precious.

I wouldn't know about mall security or whatnot, as I don't intend to ever be seen with a doll outside of a convention. :|

:hamster:
      Tacti

4. Actually, there is a reason behind the "no cameras" thing. My mom works at Wal-Mart and told me about it.
      I always have my camera case attached to my purse and one day she told me I had to leave my camera in the car because I couldn't have it in the store. When I asked her why, she said it was pretty much because they worry about creepers taking pictures of kids. It wasn't in those exact words, but that's the gist of it (at least for the Wal-Mart here..it may be different where you are. But I'm assuming that's why).
      So, all the pedo creepers out there ruined the picture taking in Wal-Mart. ._.

5. Actually, I'm certain that would be a breach of photographer's rights. Summed up, there is not a single law preventing one from shooting in public and private places or placing restrictions on what they may photograph, so long as it is not an invasion of privacy.

6. I would think that it would be a breach of photographer's rights. But I highly doubt that the high ups of Wal-Mart care anything about anyone's rights. Though, perhaps they see it as an invasion of privacy. Even if someone is just taking pictures of their doll(s), friends/family or just random items in the store, there's always a chance a bystander might get caught in the photo. And, I've noticed, that people tend to assume that if there's a camera around their picture is going to be taken.
      I'm not entirely sure why that's their reasoning (the kid thing), but maybe it happened in the past or something. It could just be the Wal-Mart here, though.

7. Lol why is there ever a reason to wear spikes on one's person? I'd boot you out of a public place too if I were a security guard. Anyways, I haven't had a problem before, but I would be worried about carrying my doll in my hands into a large chain store like wal-mart, who knows, they'd probably accuse me of stealing it from their toy section.

8. As far as the spikes go,my boyfriend had two tiny spikes on his hood of his coat.
      His hood was being worn down and they were going to have him take his coat off because it was dangerous. Right...
      My friend was wearing her boyfriends hoodie,which wasn't all that big and security made her take it off. I had a small chain on my jeans with antique keys hanging off of it and it had to be removed because I could 'hurt' someone. They tell me to remove my collar and belts all of the time and to put it away,but if I'm taking my stuff off it's naturally going to be in my hands. So confusing.
      I hate when they mess with us for things that are ATTACHED to our clothes that we can't take off. Which is why I was worried that they would say I would use my doll as a 'weapon' or something. I mean god,it's not like I'm standing around in a big crowd,I'm just walking.

9. Funny considering you could hurt or kill a person with anything. I could strangle someone with my shoelaces but you don't see that happening. Of course, a story on the news about somebody getting beaten with a BJD would be kind of hilarious. Not the beating part but just the oddness.

What if they had you remove your belt but you actually needed it. Awkward...

Officer: For the sake of public safety, please remove your belt.
      *Removes belt and pants fall*
      Officer: For the sake of public safety, please put your belt back on!

As for security, I don't have my boys yet. Guess we'll see when they arrive.

10. I just don't understand how a coat with two tiny spikes on it could be used as a weapon! D:
      You know I bet if Zeke was wearing a spiked collar or had some chains on his pants he would have to take em off! That's just the rent a cop paranoia around here.Lol.

11. If you ever do that, be REALLY careful to say "May I put it on" or something, cause I remeber one time, I took Aya, and the lady tried putting it on her wig D= Luckily it was only a fur one, btu ever since I've made sure to ask 1, If they want me to have a sticker on her, and 2, if I may put it on myself.

12. Geez, that security guard making you take all of the stuff off....
      you must live in an area with lots of tween boys~They tend to make weapons out of NOTHING.
      Seriously. And my boyfriend is obsessed with weaponry and self-defense, so he knows how to make a weapon out of the weirdest things.
      But if you and your friends were posing no threat, weren't being loud and haven't shoplifted from that mall before, I honestly don't think he had a right to tell you to take off all of that stuff.

13. There are very few things that cannot function as a weapon. Simply put, I don't - in fact, no one with training does - need anything more than hands and feet to kill someone. So this rationale doesn't really apply.

14. Since the store is their property, they can pretty much make their own rules for it. If someone puts up a sign that says no cameras, then its no cameras. I always thought it was because of like competators. If you go into best buy with a pad and a paper and start writing down what all they are selling, and the prices, they'll kick you out too.

Stores are just anal and weird. Better to hit a local shop with a better sense of humor for doll pictures!

15. I understand what you mean,
      but most people won't assume that you'll suddenly assault someone.
      It's the same logic that's being put behind schools taking away nail-files.
      Don't blame my logic. Blame the system.

16. I went to france this summer, and the officers were more interested in my medical type stuff (a bloodsugar meter thingie looked funny at their screen o,o) than the doll in my bag :D The lady who rummaged through my bag just lifted Risu to teh side without taking much notice and started asking me did I have any tinymachines in my bag ;D And take note that Risu is a DOT! 64 centimeters just, IGNORED.

17. Really? I wonder what the laws on that are now . . .
      I would have assumed the "no photos in Wal-Mart" thing was simply beceause of a pretty common thing I've heard of- they're afraid you could be a "spy" taking photos of their products to send to competitors. Some places don't care and won't say anything to you, but I've come under fire for it pretty heavily. I recently took a photo of the very ornate antique staircase in my college's bookstore and was pretty teary-eyed after a lady went absolutely nuts on me citing that reason o_O Taking photos in any sort of place that sells something can be iffy I guess.

I once went to a doll-meet at a mall, too, where security made us leave. We took the dolls outside on a bench for photos and security accused us of soliciting merchandise. I tried to explain we were just a doll club and not selling anything, but he wasn't buying it :|

18. Wow. I've never had ANY issue like this. At my mall, all the security systems are faulty (like hottopic) and people even steal, all the time. -_-;;

I take my doll a lot of places though
      ~ on vaccation
      ~ to the movies (first movie was Dark Knight!)
      ~ to school (not yet.. bu I will on the first day
      ~ to the grocery store
      ~ to work (only for about 15 minutes. or it stayed in a box the whole time..

But if anything. I had a security officer admire my little Erith. ^-^

19. But if there's no reason for you to suddenly assault somebody, why take your stuff?

*Hopes they don't start chopping off your limbs* :shudder I'm pretty sure I could find a way to use anything as a weapon if I needed to.

20. A shop or outlet is a private space and in UK civil law, if there are conditions on you entering the space...no smoking/no photographs etc etc...they can eject you from the premises because you are trespassing, ignoring the conditions on which you are allowed to be in that space. Trespass is a civil offence, not a criminal one, so even if you are caught repeatedly taking photographs and trespassing, you won't get a criminal record.

Photography on the streets isn't trespass, whoever you take photos of, although it is always better to secure permission from the people you are photographing. It is public space and not even the police can request that you stop...unless of course you are being creepy and taking photos of children. Even then they have no real right to take your camera or equipment. I know of so many photographers who don't know the law and have willingly handed over their cameras when the police have asked for them only for the camera to disappear and the film destroyed.

DON'T EVER SURRENDER YOUR EQUIPMENT! Don't even delete the photos from your digital camera...because no one has the right to make you do this. If you hand over your equipment, you will never see the camera again, and once you've handed it to them it is as good as admitting you were wrong, when the law is actually on your side and they are in the wrong.