1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Your doll's wardrobe: Empty or Bursting?

Jan 31, 2011

1. Some of my dolls were purchased as full sets but they rarely use their default outfits.

I have been in the hobby for a while now so my boy clothing are bursting out from 3 carry on size suit cases plus boxes boxes and boxes LOL LOL they have more clothes than I do

I am totally biased... which is rather obvious if you check my gallery threads

2. Do you get one default outfit for your doll and then move on to the next or do you buy several different outfits for your dolls?
      I tend to buy multiple clothes for my dolls. Some dolls can share some items so I can move clothes around a bit.

(If you have many) how many per doll? Are you biased towards one particular outfit or do you change them regularly? When do you have too many clothes?
      I've noticed I tend to buy more for the dolls that can share. My only msd has the least clothes of the lot. There is always an outfit that I prefer above the rest, but then eventually I'll have a new favorite. I can't believe I'll ever have too many doll clothes, but when I find that I don't like/use an item I'll sell it.

Do you buy or not-buy intentionally?
      Kinda both... Sometimes I'll just run across something, but I also go out and intentionally buy something, usually when I'm awaiting a new doll. I enjoy sewing for them as well so they get some clothes that way, I always seem to be buying fabric for no reason :)

3. Do you get one default outfit for your doll and then move on to the next or do you buy several different outfits for your dolls?
      depends on the doll. but my Luna has tons of outfits.(If you only have one) do your dolls ever feel boring? Do you lose interest in them because you don't spoil or customise them further with clothing?
      no I never get bored of them. I love to buy outfits and stuff though. (If you have many) how many per doll? Are you biased towards one particular outfit or do you change them regularly? When do you have too many clothes?
      Lunahas to many to count. but so far my other dolls only haveone.I change Luna's outfits on a regular basis.I don't think i'll ever have to many clothes. I just have to make more space for new ones.
      yes I do buy them intentially. I buy them when I like them.

4. Do you get one default outfit for your doll and then move on to the next or do you buy several different outfits for your dolls?
      All my dolls eventually end up with at least a few different outfits, even if they tend to wear one or two specific sets more than the others.

(If you only have one) do your dolls ever feel boring? Do you lose interest in them because you don't spoil or customize them further with clothing?
      I've had dolls that I got bored with that had extensive wardrobes, and dolls I got tired of that only had one or two things to wear. For me, the doll's outfit has less to do with my interest level than the doll itself does.

(If you have many) how many per doll? Are you biased towards one particular outfit or do you change them regularly? When do you have too many clothes?
      I go through periods where I'm biased towards one outfit or another, but even so I do change the clothes regularly. It depends on the doll really. One of my boys goes months in the same outfit, but the other one gets changed every few days. (His wardrobe is so huge it'd be a shame to never swap his clothes out!)

Generally, I buy intentionally. Toshi's clothing tends to be very distinctively his. Itsuki has stolen most of the more casual boy stuff for himself, so now I assume that anything of a similar style will just go to him. (Every now and then Toshi steals something from Itsuki's wardrobe though). My mini and tiny boy can't share with anyone else, so its intentional when I buy for them.

5. I'm trying to prioritize dolls over outfits right now, so all my dolls thus far have one or two outfits. I'd say my doll wardrobe is quite bare, haha.

But once I finish off my wishlist I'll focus more on clothing for them.

6. Do you get one default outfit for your doll and then move on to the next or do you buy several different outfits for your dolls?

At the moment, I've only just finished getting everyone at least one outfit.

(If you only have one) do your dolls ever feel boring? Do you lose interest in them because you don't spoil or customise them further with clothing?

When I had one doll, I did feel a much stronger urge to have more clothes for her-- and quite early on she had four whole outfits to herself.

1st doll: 4 outfits, but she really only wears two, and one of the others has since been more or less claimed by another character.

2nd doll: 2 outfits, both of which get a lot of use.

3rd doll: 2 outfits, though one of those is just nice underwear, and she pretty much lives in her more modest garb.

4th doll: 1 outfit, but it's extremely cool. ;)

--I still dream about acquiring more outfits in the future, but for now I think this is a good amount. Everyone has at least one outfit, and some articles can be shared between dolls.

I'm not quite sure about this question, but I'm fairly careful about the clothes I buy. I always do my homework on the sizes, and I refrain from purchasing items that may be beautiful but unsuitable for the doll's character. Impulse buying also terrifies me, so while I may pounce on something from the MP, it's usually because the item is one I already love and can afford.

7. I am the type that buys more than a few items of clothing just for one doll
      I do like it to changed depending on what is going on around ^ - ^

8. Do you get one default outfit for your doll and then move on to the next or do you buy several different outfits for your dolls?

I get several different outfits. I don't believe in 'default outfits'. That's just too boring for me. XD

How many per doll? Are you biased towards one particular outfit or do you change them regularly? When do you have too many clothes?

I have a general closet of things for my boys to mix and match. The big boys all share clothes, though they each prefer slightly different styles. Fate has an additional exclusive Dollheart girl wardrobe (since the big boys can't fit into them), while the new little girl... doesn't have much clothes yet. I'm working on it. 8Db

There are no outfits I'm biased towards: I change them whenever the mood strikes me. Even the Dollheart sets get their pieces mixed and matched around. There are some styles that I tend to keep to, however, for the individual doll, but even so, nothing is hard and fast.

Too much clothes is when I have too many outfit sets that are meant to be worn as sets. I tend to get bored of them quite easily, and if they're branded sets, I'm usually reluctant to seperate the parts, so they get sold as the whole set. There's no limit to the mix-and-match wardrobe, though. XD Extra clothes are always nice to have around anyway, in case new dolls turn up unexpectedly. =w=~<3

Since it never occurred to me to give any of my dolls default outfits, I guess it was unintentional that I tend to buy them all sorts of clothes. \o/

9. Do you get one default outfit for your doll and then move on to the next or do you buy several different outfits for your dolls?

Only my littlefee has a default outfit (which is the one he came with lol)...I've only been focusing on getting my msds clothing :sweat

(If you only have one) do your dolls ever feel boring? Do you lose interest in them because you don't spoil or customise them further with clothing?

I guess sometimes. Buying clothing for my dolls and dressing them is a fun part of the hobby for me XD But sometimes I have to realistic and spend my money on other things.

I guess overall-
      Complete outfits: 5
      Mix/match items (tees/jeans etc): 8

I'm pretty lazy with changing my dolls unless I go to meets lol, so they will usually wear an outfit for a long time haha.. I usually make them wear the new stuff that I got :3 I think that I have too much clothing when it can fill up a small box (which they already do ><;;; )

I usually try to plan what type of clothing I want for my dolls but otherwise I guess they're mainly impulsive buys, especially with DollHeart. I see a top I like and then think that they need some new jeans to match it...and then I end up with items for the other doll as well :lol: (Is this what this question is asking about? XD)

10. Do you get one default outfit for your doll and then move on to the next or do you buy several different outfits for your dolls?

I buy lots of outfits. I didn't start out that way, but I just found too many cool outfits I liked. I like clothes anyway, so it's not a surprise that I like doll clothes, too. Clothes and wigs and shoes are part of the appeal of BJDs for me. They are a very important aspect. I like having the dolls the most, of course, but the clothes and stuff to go along with them are also a big part of it all.

Although I don't have only one outfit per doll... if I had no money and could only afford one outfit, I don't think I'd be bored. I probably would find different ways to do things with them--maybe take them to different places for photo-shoots or pose them in certain ways or do photo stories or whatever. Although I REALLY love having different outfits, I don't think I'd be bored just because my doll only had one outfit.

I can't even count the outfits... and my dolls share outfits, so... hard to say how many per doll... I've been buying since '04, so I have a LOT by now. I don't change them that often, so I have tons of outfits they haven't even worn yet... (although I'll get around to them all some day!). They have enough to be in different outfits without repeating, but as I said, I don't change them often... sometimes they are in the same outfits for a year or so at a time.

Too many clothes is when they have a ton they haven't worn yet and I start losing track of what I have... Which is how it is at present. I have more than enough for them to dress in just about everything for every occasion... I have two large plastic bin-loads of outfits... *_*

I'm afraid I buy intentionally. I really do love fashions and doll outfits!

I've read the threads about where people store their clothes and people that dress dolls in pyjamas for bed or in different clothes depending on the season and I find it really interesting. I think I'm so addicted to buying dolls that I really struggle buying other things for the ones I have. I realised that I find it much more fun to change outfits when I like, but after finding one outfit that I love, I find it so difficult to find another I like as much!! Does anyone else feel like this?

I store clothes. I don't dress my dolls in pajamas. I don't even think they HAVE any pajamas! I don't dress them in different clothes depending on the season. I usually dress them for meetups. And for photoshoots. That's it. I'm addicted to buying dolls AND clothes. I'll have to skip some dolls because I've spent on clothes... but as I said, the clothes are important to me, too. And I WISH I would fall in love with just one outfit... but I don't. I keep on seeing very cool outfits and fall in love with outfits as much as dolls, sometimes. ... I actually don't even LIKE changing outfits so much! *_*

11. Do you get one default outfit for your doll and then move on to the next or do you buy several different outfits for your dolls?
      My first doll (a MSD) is really spoilt in the sense that I have bought him several different outfits. For my other dolls (tinies), they usually have one default outfit and one traditional ethnic outfit (well, at least I try to buy it for them). Otherwise, I'll just try to make some other outfits for them, (but my sewing sucks that's why I usually get them one default outfit that they will wear all the time).

Not really. For the dolls which I've bought only one outfit, I usually try to make some other outfits for them.

For my MSD, I have bought at least 4 outfit sets, not including those that I've made. The others are usually one default set that is purchased (for traditional outfit, most of which are Korean, Japanese and possible Chinese, I'll usually try to buy them if they are available). I have too many likes so my outfit range for my first doll was very diverse, from modern formal wear to casual wear to medieval or even gothic wear (one of my tiny also had a furry animal costume). Now I just go for the modern (casual/formal) style so they don't look like they are time-transported into one century. lol

For my first doll, it was basically buy-what-I-like. Once I settled down on a style though, I started to plan so they won't look weird together.

12. Do you get one default outfit for your doll and then move on to the next or do you buy several different outfits for your dolls?
      Actually, I sew, ONLY.I prefer for my dolls to have several outfits: casual, festive attire, summer/winter clothes, several pairs of shoes, maybe some cosplay also. I sew one outfit, after that I start to sew another one.

3-4 complete outfits at least, but actually more. I change outfits from time to time – if I need to dress my dolls for the party or for a certain photosession. A huge amount of time they spend sitting naked or almost naked because I'm too lazy to dress them and because their bodies are beautiful)))
      Though my kitten has only one outfit, and it's OK for me.
      Too many clothes – when there is a lack of room in a drawer.

I buy intentionally (the fabrics, because I sew). I think of making a certain type of outfit so I search for a suitable fabric.

13. Well, I've only got one doll now, but I'm going to try and have him "Completed" (Get him his wig, some proper clothes, etc.) before I buy any more, so I'm not trying to finish two or more dolls at once.
      Right now, he's got his extra casual outfit (His B&G bathrobe and some white shorts I made for him,) and his really fancy outfit (The Victorian-style outfit he came with,) so I switch between them a lot. (Especially since the pants on his fancy getup are black, and I don't want them to stain. :P)

I'm actually planning on (Eventually) collecting a nice assortment of clothing for him, so he isn't wearing the same thing day in and day out. (Which is also a good way to make photostories and shoots a little more realistic, if he isn't wearing the same outfit all the time.)

For right now, though, I'll just be glad when he has something more normal to wear. :P

EDIT: To be more on topic.... :sweat

While making him outfits/dressing him up/ planning out "Looks" for him is certainly fun and helps me feel more in touch with his character, I don't think that just having one outfit would make him any less interesting or enjoyable for me. I'm totally planning on eventually getting him (And any future dolls) a huge collection of different outfits and accessories, but I'd be just as happy with him if I (For whatever reason) only had one or two sets of clothes.

(I hope I've made some amount of sense.)

14. Do you get one default outfit for your doll and then move on to the next or do you buy several different outfits for your dolls?

I want to have at least one outfit handy for a doll, since I'm sure they get cold when they sit around naked ;) Generally I buy the outfit first, unless the doll is an odd size or one of the many floating heads. More will come whenever I get the time and inclination - and money. :lol:

No, not really. I wouldn't have bought them if I wan't interested! :) And as far as my single-outfit guys, I try to find at least one in-character outfit for them to live in. One of them likes it so much he won't let me put him in anything else.

The girls get changed whenever I bloody well feel like it. :) Admittedly I prefer them in no-fuss outfits, but sometimes you just have to sit down and shove someone's butt into a fer and lace those tiny little armbands way way up. :aheartbea

For the most part, I am fairly particular about what I buy for them nowadays - this wasn't always the case, and I find I'd rather have a few outfits for them that I really adore as opposed to a mass pile of clothes I only sort-of like.

15. Do you get one default outfit for your doll and then move on to the next or do you buy several different outfits for your dolls?
      I buy whatever strikes my fancy, and then decide which of my dolls would suit the outfit, although they do share them (except the EID since his measurements are drastically different from the others). I'm finding though that certain types of outfits are specific to one doll (ie: pinstripes are Aubrey's thing, monochrome suit sets are Mordecai's, gowns made from nude and beige fabrics are Floroteian's, etc).

For the girls, although each only have 1 main gown, no, I don't think they're boring because I always have every intention to sew more clothing for them (if I ever stop being lazy enough to actually sew :sweat).

There's probably an average of 2 suits per male doll, but there are pieces that they share between them. And yes, I change them on occasion, especially if the clothing is of coloured or dark fabrics (to prevent staining).

For the boys, yes, if I find something I like, then I'd buy intentionally. For the girls, no, since their sizes are more varied, thus making it harder to find the proper in-character type of clothing (so I've resorted to making them myself).

16. Do you get one default outfit for your doll and then move on to the next or do you buy several different outfits for your dolls?
      When a new doll arrives, I assemble an outfit out of the communal pool of clothing whilst I work on what will be their main outfit, but they won't necessarily stay in that outfit. I have a few clothing items that I've bought, but for the most part I sew it all myself. Sometimes I will work on a complete outfit, other times I will make separates. There's no specific given order to how I work though.

They each have one or two complete outfit, but I quite often change them into something different from the communal wardrobe. They each have their own particular styles that I dress them in though - Perseus is always a gentleman dandy, for instance, so you won't see him in T-shirt and jeans. Likewise you won't see Eric in a suit. The girls only ever wear dresses or skirts. Myrddin wears pale colours. But other than that, their appearance isn't static. Some dolls get changed more often than others though, depending on my mood and what I'm doing with them.

I buy fabric and notions deliberately, but I avoid buying apart from boots and shoes, which are the one thing I can't really make myself the way I'd like to. I prefer not to buy clothing if it's an item I can make myself, on the whole, though there have been the odd exceptions to this rule.

17. Do you get one default outfit for your doll and then move on to the next or do you buy several different outfits for your dolls?

It sort of depends on the doll, though I do like to have at least one outfit that they can wear should they ever require clothes. But some dolls have one outfit and little more, while other dolls of mine have fairly extensive wardrobes. Some of it has to do with difficulty find appropriate clothing. My Kun is supposed to have a very specific, high fashion wardrobe and it really doesn't exist to purchase, so I've had to edit her look to be more about trendy separates and even those are hard to find. Whereas my Bianka dresses like an evil Victorian princess, and there are tons of those kinds of looks available, so she has way more clothing than my Kun. And then my Peroth and my Maki girl essentially share the same wardrobe because they dress similar and are close enough in size they can share.

For my Kun, I would like more clothing for more variety for her. My Kira boy only has 2 outfits and those 2 outfits are perfect so I don't mind it much with him.

I do have fave outfits for dolls so I do often go back to those fave ones over and over because I think they really embody how the character dresses. And, of course, that they look great and really enhance the doll.

I'm always browsing around for stuff to buy, but it really depends on what I find for sale and if I have the money. I have no set buying plans when it comes to doll clothes. If I see something perfect for a doll who already has a ton of clothes and I want it, I'll still get it.

18. Do you get one default outfit for your doll and then move on to the next or do you buy several different outfits for your dolls?
      Over time my kids have acquired several outfits. Those who share with another in same size and gender can share even more outfits. This who are unique and hard to fit will of course have less.

(If you only have one) do your dolls ever feel boring? Do you lose interest in them because you don't spoil or customize them further with clothing? N/A

(If you have many) how many per doll? Are you biased towards one particular outfit or do you change them regularly? When do you have too many clothes? My kids esp. if going to be in a story change clothes as the stories esp with 4 of my dolls goes over a period of days and weeks. So we can't have them wearing some thing say 2 days in a row. I would say on average each doll that shares with at least 1 other has 3 outfits each and a couple of spare shirts. That is my SD. My LTF are more and so share more.

Do you buy or not-buy intentionally? I buy internationally. I would say 60% of the clothes my kids have come from over seas.

19. I think you misread the question - it doesn't say do you buy internationally, but do you buy or not-buy intentionally - i.e. do you make a deliberate effort to buy or to not buy clothes?

20. Oh I buy buy buy and everyone mixes and matches. I'll buy locally, hand made and internationally couture made and everything in between. I do agree that sometimes I find just the perfect combination of outfit, wig, eyes, and accessories and then that doll lives in the outfit for a good long while. But, then the fun, for me, is completely changing their look again!