1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Your doll's wardrobe: Empty or Bursting?

Jan 31, 2011

1. Do you get one default outfit for your doll and then move on to the next or do you buy several different outfits for your dolls?
      I like to buy several outfits for each doll, which at the moment isnt too bad but i plan on getting quite a few dolls so i can see it becoming a space propblem too lol

(If you only have one) do your dolls ever feel boring? Do you lose interest in them because you don't spoil or customise them further with clothing?
      At the moment i have one doll that only has oe outfit and its getting a bit annoying for photoshoots and stuff for example I went to a meet the other week and the theme was 'tea party' and they all had to be dressed in their sunday best, but little riley onl has jeans and a T-shirt.

(If you have many) how many per doll? Are you biased towards one particular outfit or do you change them regularly? When do you have too many clothes?
      At the moment my two 70cm dolls have the most clothes, they each have a suit, about 4 shirts, loads of jeans and a couple of T-shirts ect. I love dressing my boys as they have so much possiblity with the differnet clothes they have. Though i am in the process of two very big orders for more clothes so my little ones will have some more clothes too

Do you buy or not-buy intentionally?
      I would say yes, I like buying clothes for dolls that are on their way and I like to spoil my boys occasionally too lol

2. I make a lot of my dolls' clothing, so when I get bored with what they're wearing, I make something new. The only things that get bought are shoes and wigs. That said, I'll answer your questions as far as they apply.

Do you get one default outfit for your doll and then move on to the next or do you [make] several different outfits for your dolls?
      I like to make sure each doll has at least one outfit. I don't like to have naked dolls sitting around. Do I tend to spoil some more than others? Yeah. SD size is easiest to sew for, so my bigger dolls tend to have more options to choose from.

(If you only have one) do your dolls ever feel boring? Do you lose interest in them because you don't spoil or customise them further with clothing?
      I sort of answered this already. I don't get bored with my dolls because they don't change their clothes, and if I ever did, I would just make a new outfit. It's one of the ways I "play" with my dolls. Sewing is such a big part of this hobby for me, that as time goes on I'm sure they'll all have extensive wardrobes.

I prefer not to buy at all. If I make most of the clothes, I can spend more on things I can't make like shoes, wigs, and eyes. I think that, even with home-made outfits, my dolls are pretty well-dressed.

3. I don't know why, but even when I see adorable professionally-made outfits out there, I just don't feel like the doll is truly mine until I MAKE her an outfit. Unfortunately I loathe sewing most of the time, but go through strange periods where my mind is taken over by some alien sewing-intelligence I don't normally have... and I whip up something great. But I can have a doll sit around completely nekkid for a year or more until that happens ^^;; I draft all my own patters, and sew by hand... and when something doesn't turn out it's a major bummer. Because of this it's unlikely that my dolls end up with more than one outfit.

Strangely, I have a drawer full of SD-sized dresses made of downsized antique baby dresses and such... I just haven't gotten around to getting a doll for them! I guess that should be my next project! ^^;;

Raven

4. Do you get one default outfit for your doll and then move on to the next or do you buy several different outfits for your dolls?
      I like for each doll to have one default outfit from their home company. This is so they have one thing guaranteed to fit properly. For my yo-sizes I try to get a wickedstitchery outfit next becuase they're awesome quality and just rock. If the doll is comparable in size to a doll in toy stores, I'll pick up pieces that I like.

Gabriel (puki cupid) is my only doll with one outfit only, but I don't feel bored with him. He's adorable as a bitty bunny and I can't really see him in anything else. Josslyn has other dressess, but the PamSD number she's in *is* her, so she likely won't wear anything else. I don't loose interest in her or Gabriel becuase they're complete and make me smile when ever I look at them.

(If you have many) how many per doll? Are you biased towards one particular outfit or do you change them regularly? When do you have too many clothes?
      Peyton and Natalie each have 3 (1 FL, 1 wickedstitchery, 1 pj set from Sims), Adia has several BFC, ink sets and 2 IH (fullset dress and another) with more on the way. Marche is the only one without a proper set because he's secondhand, odd sized, and I'm waiting on IH's KID line to drop. I change Peyton, Natalie, and Adia whenever I feel like, but I like playing with Adia's look the most. I think you have too many clothes when you forget that you have something. :sweat

I buy intentionally. If it doesn't look like the "personality" of my doll, I won't get it even if I love it. I love IH's Black Cat and Pink Rose sets for JID girls, but they don't look like my Adia. If I ever get the Tania on my wishlist, though, I will get them for her. I also try to buy things that have multiple pieces that I can use with something else. Like others, I'd like for each of my dolls to have an outfit that works for each season.

5. Do you get one default outfit for your doll and then move on to the next or do you buy several different outfits for your dolls?
      I've made a point of having at least SOMEthing for each one to wear when s/he arrived, even if I made it myself. The ones who come with fullset outfits usually stay in those for awhile. But I want everyone to have at least one "dress-up" outfit and one or two "casual" outfits, though of course those vary according to appropriate time period. (Like, Tsuki has a beautiful full kimono and hakama set, but that's not dressing up to him--his fancy outfit is his anime cosplay gear. =)

(If you only have one) do your dolls ever feel boring? Do you lose interest in them because you don't spoil or customise them further with clothing? I would certainly get bored if I couldn't change everyone's clothes now and then. I also like to change them according to the weather, or when I'm taking them out. Right now I can't decide on the best look for my new Rebecca, so I've changed her clothes just about every day I've had her.

(If you have many) how many per doll? Are you biased towards one particular outfit or do you change them regularly? When do you have too many clothes? The SD-scale kids tend to share the wardrobe, and mix-and-match as we see who looks best in what. But each one does have a few sets I think of as his/hers:
      Sora: 2 outfits, one being his original fullset
      Shao: 4 outfits: fullset, Killjoys gear, drag set =), and cosplay costume
      Haru: 2 outfits: fullset, and a plain white shirt and jeans
      Komori: 4 outfits (one being his "full kitsune" set with mask, fox eyes and tail)
      Tsuki: 3 outfits: leather jacket and jeans, kimono and hakama, cosplay costume
      Zhumei: 2 outfits: her fullset and her Chinese set (more to come)
      Denshou: 1 outfit so far. (Hakama are so convenient for dressing someone with Soom fox paws. =)

Plus a mixed bag of t-shirts, tank tops, leggings. boots etc. that anyone can wear anytime.

Am I biased? I'd say so: when I find a favorite look they tend to keep it for weeks. But I like to change at least one of them every week or so. When will I have too many? When I have something no one ever wears, but it hasn't happened yet =)

Do you buy or not-buy intentionally? I try not to shop impulsively; I don't look at clothing sites unless I have something specific in mind to get. When I do (rarely) decide to go on a clothes binge, I usually make a long list and them winnow it down till I can afford it. But I try to economize by sewing easy things (tank tops, skirts) so everyone has more options.

6. Do you get one default outfit for your doll and then move on to the next or do you buy several different outfits for your dolls?
      Because I'm a little impatient, I tend to buy something basic and inexpensive that my doll would be decent in, while still sticking to how they're supposed to be. I'm not going to buy a less expensive goth outfit if my doll's not goth. I'll buy something inexpensive, but something that 'fits'. And luckily, my doll's from Dollmore, so I bought her something that I knew would fit. Outfits from the company also give me some idea as to how big the outfits should be, if I want to sew.

(If you only have one) do your dolls ever feel boring? Do you lose interest in them because you don't spoil or customize them further with clothing?
      She did feel boring for a few reasons:

• The dress was all I had
      • The dress was too short, and there was really only two poses I could put her in that wouldn't show her underwear.
      I had wanted to get her at least a pair of jeans/pants so that I wouldn't have to just have her sitting, with her hands in her lap. I was also really afraid of taking her outside, because she had no protection, otherwise. It was much too much a nightgown, I decided, than an appropriate dress for her character's age (10).

I did sew her a little kimono thing, though.

College makes it hard to sew, though. I haven't done anything since last August as a result. But I finally got some new stuff for her in January.

7. Unfortunately, their wardrobe is pretty empty. I've always been a person to get dolls before cloths, so naked dollies galore! is pretty much everyday over here. I'm starting pretty simply, I think. One default outfit for each doll. From there, I can build. I buy very intentionally. Sometimes I sew, but my sewing machine isn't wonderful. I do feel like I need to mix it up to go to meet ups, so I try not to ever bring someone in the same outfit twice, which results more in me skipping meet ups than buying new clothes, lol. It's harder, I think, to get motivated to buy clothes that dolls. Especially with the option hanging over your head to sew. Not that either is particularly hard. Everyone wants their boy/girl/something else to look cute. XD

8. Do you get one default outfit for your doll and then move on to the next or do you buy several different outfits for your dolls? None of my dolls has any one set outfit. But thanks to my past buying habits their wardrobes are still definately closer to the bursting side of the spectrum.

(If you have many) how many per doll? Are you biased towards one particular outfit or do you change them regularly? When do you have too many clothes? Generally, the boys have a number of pieces I mix and match, while the girls each have varying numbers of complete outfits. There are a few outfits in the mix I feel a bit biased towards, but I try to change up the looks of all the dolls more or less every few months or so, usually dependant on the season. It's tough to say exactly how many is too many pieces of clothing. I guess I start to feel that way when I notice there's some pieces I haven't really been able to work into an outfit and so are rarely/never worn.

Do you buy or not-buy intentionally? In the past I was buying pretty much anything that caught my attention at that moment, regardless of quality or how it might become a new outfit or fit into an existing one. That's when I started feeling like I had too many pieces of clothing, and started thinning out my collection. Now I am more careful to buy only things I know will work with what I already have or are already themselves complete outfits. Unless it's a random piece that I totally fall in love with, I will intentionally pass it by.

9. I generally have one main outfit per doll with several changeable accessories to spice things up a bit. With the exception of my mature 27cm tiny and my pukis and brownie because they're so easy to find clothes for. Weirdly enough I also hoard clothes like a maniac, I have an entire large shopping bag filled with doll clothes. I could probably fill a medium-sized garbage bag about 3/4 of the way full...

10. No doll yet so very empty. XD

11. Do you get one default outfit for your doll and then move on to the next or do you buy several different outfits for your dolls? At the moment, Kisho only has two outfits- and one doesn't particularly suit her character well. That military uniform is her "default outfit", but I'm hoping to give her stylistically different "defaults"- her uniform, a kimono, a formal dress, a business suit-style thing, etc.

Do your dolls ever feel boring? Do you lose interest in them because you don't spoil or customise them further with clothing?
      I'd like to expand her wardrobe, yes- but she's not boring at all!

Not-buy intentionally- I am trying to improve my sewing craft, after all!

12. Do you get one default outfit for your doll and then move on to the next or do you buy several different outfits for your dolls?
      I like my dolls having more than one default outfit. I get tired of seeing them in the same outfits all the time, even if they do revert to a favored outfit very often.

My 1/6th dolls have waaaaay more outfits than my 1/3 dolls. But that's because I think that they're just so fun and cute to dress up in cute clothing, whether they're in character or not. xD My 1/3 each have one outfit that belongs to each of them, and they share the Dollheart dress since it looks fantastic on both of them.

Do you buy or not-buy intentionally? When it comes to adorable, well priced outfits for my 1/6th girls, it's really hard to resist impulse buying! I don't impulse buy as much for my 1/3rd girls since they have solid characters with very specific tastes. And by specific I mean very expensive! *_* So usually I buy a few outfits for my little girls instead of one 200$ dress for the big ones.

13. So much for that plan.... I posted this nearly three years ago and haven't stuck to it (I started the inventory, but didn't get far and still don't have all the bits I intended for all the dolls, and more dolls have joined the family since then too).

I have, however, just put in an order for multiple socks/stockings for the resin gang, so I'm getting there, albeit slowly.

Teddy

14. Do you get one default outfit for your doll and then move on to the next or do you buy several different outfits for your dolls?

Oh, they all have multiple outfits. Some more than others. Some share, some do not. Some claim certain pieces as theirs.

I have 90 and sometimes yes! Sometimes it's just I don't want to change a bunch so they sit in their outfits for months.

Who knows?? I use to change regularly, but with all their clothes put in containers by size and sex, it gets annoying. Usually the smaller ones get changed more than the bigger dolls.

Do you buy or not-buy intentionally? I buy what I like. If one will not wear something, someone else usually will!

15. Do you get one default outfit for your doll and then move on to the next or do you buy several different outfits for your dolls?

I like to have at least one offit for my dolls. I don't like leaving them naked for my family to see and say something.

I am actually biased towards one particular outfit because more often or not their first offit was the only outfit for a long period of time before the rest. So I mostly dress them in their first outfit. However, when I do feel in a playfull mood I do switch it up. I don't have to many clothes yet however there are some items I do not want anymore so I will sell them to someone else.

I buy intentionally, especial with my oldest doll. I know what her personalities and what she likes and don't and what looks good on her. so I take time in looking for outfits for my dolls.

16. Do you get one default outfit for your doll and then move on to the next or do you buy several different outfits for your dolls?
      I think I'll be buying several outfits for my dolls. :)

The few outfits I have for my doll right now are all that I could afford with Christmas just passing, but I hope to get him more so he won't end up boring!If I get to change my wardrobe for the seasons, I think it's only fair that he gets to as well.

I have general outfits planned for my current and future dolls, but I don't think I'd be against buying clothes on a whim if I really like them and think it suits my their personality.

17. Do you get one default outfit for your doll and then move on to the next or do you buy several different outfits for your dolls?

I have a general theme for each doll and buy according to the theme. That said I have a lot of stuff outside of the theme too, because I'm addicted to fukubukuro and surprise bags. I'm still fairly new to the hobby but each of my dolls probably has about 4 outfits I like, I haven't started cleaning out the stuff that is off theme for them yet cause I'm scared I'll change my mind lol

nope :)
      About 4 outfits per doll. When I first started I really wanted a lot of victorian style and lolita style outfits and bought this huge complicated dress. I tend to change their clothes once a week at least, and now I'm leaning towards the clothes that are easier to put on. I love the super expensive dress but putting it on was such a chore, when I get bored and change her outfit next I'll probably stash that dress away for quite a while. Also, more fukubukuro are coming >.> must try new clothes
      It always starts unintentionally. When I bought my first new doll I purchased the complicated dress, and a simple one for more everyday wear. (my other doll is a second hand boy and therefore, in my mind, doesn't need lots of complicated clothes) By the time she arrived I'd already got 3 more packages of clothes from various stores and second hand lol

18. Do you get one default outfit for your doll and then move on to the next or do you buy several different outfits for your dolls?

I buy/make several generally, though building individual wardrobes vs. building my collection is... well, it's always more of a guideline than a rule. With Vince, I have no set plans, he just gets clothes as he gets them. With Billy, my plan was to just get him everything but ever since my sister made him a super-cute dino costume (with detachable wings that turn it into a dragon costume), he pretty much just wears that. And with Pete, my plan is for him to have basically some default items and not branch out much past one or two outfits.

Pete is the hardest to clothe... so at the moment, he has one pair of pants I really love for him (finally) that fit like a dream and are white that, since I put them on him, have not come off. Vince changes all the time. He has a sort of limited wardrobe, but it contains some good separates. And I guess I have too many clothes for Billy now that he wears his dino costume so exclusively-- my general feeling is you only have too many clothes when you can't afford, store, or enjoy them.

Semi intentionally, I guess? I mean... some things are planned-- I went searching for pants that would suit Pete with some specific criteria in mind, for example. Most of Vince's wardrobe just happened, though. I'd say at least half his clothes were bought on a total whim, not ordered but in person. One shirt at a doll show, two others that were made for tiny, tiny teacup dogs that I saw in Pet Smart and went gaga over... And then there are the things that are made for dolls or stuffed animals that are approximate fits, which I scan toy stores/aisles for with definite purpose in mind, though what I find doesn't always turn out to be something I can use, so sometimes I don't buy, and other times I buy something for one of my boys because it looks about right, only to find it's a better fit on someone else-- a pair of shorts I THOUGHT I was buying for little Billy turned out to fit VINCE. And they're not at ALL the same size.

(the shorts are quite short on him, of course, and the shirt that was sold with them only fits Billy, but still)

19. Do you get one default outfit for your doll and then move on to the next or do you buy several different outfits for your dolls?
      Each character has a particular outfit. But I also have general pieces that everyone can wear.

Just 1 outfit for each doll. When I get bored I do swap their stuff around just for fun.

Intentionally. There is a certain look I'm going for so I know what will suit them and what will not.

20. Do you get one default outfit for your doll and then move on to the next or do you buy several different outfits for your dolls?
      I get them one to start with, then I pick up pieces if I see something I like.

No, they don't ever feel boring to me. I'd rather have their wig and eyes picked out before their clothes so I get a good feeling for their character, so it doesn't bother me too much unless they don't have any clothes whatsoever.

I buy intentionally. I need to feel confident that it will look good on that particular doll and fit the character. This is probably the reason why most of my dolls only have one outfit, but I'm sure they'll all have more in the future. I'm slowly picking up clothes for them here and there :)