1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Your doll's wardrobe: Empty or Bursting?

Jan 31, 2011

1. Do you get one default outfit for your doll and then move on to the next or do you buy several different outfits for your dolls?

Depends on the doll. I generally like my dolls to not be naked, but with animal dolls, it doesn't matter so much.

(If you only have one) do your dolls ever feel boring? Do you lose interest in them because you don't spoil or customise them further with clothing?

N/A

(If you have many) how many per doll? Are you biased towards one particular outfit or do you change them regularly? When do you have too many clothes?

Again, depends. Some of my dolls will like ample wardrobes whereas others will be in need of one outfit and one outfit only.

Do you buy or not-buy intentionally?

Since all of my dolls have characters to meet, I have to say intentionally. There are certain things that are must-haves for my dolls, and others that - even if I like it - my doll would never wear something like that in a zillion years, so I don't buy them.

2. Do you get one default outfit for your doll and then move on to the next or do you buy several different outfits for your dolls?
      I like to think that, if they were real, they'd appreciate having a variety of clothes to choose from, so I tend to go nuts. That said, cashmunny constraints dictate that their wardrobes are kind of lacking...

(If you have many) how many per doll? Are you biased towards one particular outfit or do you change them regularly? When do you have too many clothes?
      I like to change them regularly, just like I change my clothes regularly.

I definitely buy intentionally. My girls have characters, but who's to say those characters don't like a wardrobe change here and there? Just like Sailor Moon, you know. She has so many outfit changes for 'just' a character.

3. Do you get one default outfit for your doll and then move on to the next or do you buy several different outfits for your dolls?
      Definitely several outfits, although some of them do have trademark articles of clothing and/or outfits. Irie, my Dollfie Dream Aoi has her beautiful Angell Studio dress, for example and Hyorin, my minifee Shushu her fluffy sheep hat. Despite the fact they have these they have the rest of their wardrobes also of course.

Depends on the doll, and the number that each of them owns grows in time since I never stop hunting for appropriate clothes for them. I like to be able to change their clothes regularly and especially my minis that are much easier to handle and also own a variety of clothing get to that fairly often, almost weekly if not more.

Completely intentionally. When I see outfits that match my characters they get added to the wishlist to be eventually purchased if possible.

4. Do you get one default outfit for your doll and then move on to the next or do you buy several different outfits for your dolls?

One outfit per doll. I only have one doll that is wearing his company default outfit, and that is because it fit my aesthetic perfectly. I am extremely, ridiculously selective on what I want my dolls to be put in. It has taken me almost five years to find the perfect outfit for my DZ Chen. I'm not even joking.

The ONE outfit I buy per doll is usually around the $150-$200 range though (each). So they do get spoiled on this one occasion!

(If you only have one) do your dolls ever feel boring? Do you lose interest in them because you don't spoil or customise them further with clothing?

Nope! For me, my dolls are standing works of art. I don't really "play" with them, or really even pose them. I rarely take pictures of them. Their job is to sit in my room and look pretty, and they do an excellent job of it. I figure its not necessary to have multiple outfits when I barely ever touch them. This is why I am so selective.

Always. Two of my outfits are from China (Custom made by my favorite seamstress!) and one is from Japan (Volks). And then the default on my one boy is from Korea obviously lol.

5. Do you get one default outfit for your doll and then move on to the next or do you buy several different outfits for your dolls?

I bought several different outfits with a mix and match feel to all the pieces.

I only have one doll right now, but I decided when I got her that she'd have a full wardrobe before I bought a new doll. I tend to change them often, but I think she's really got just the right amount of clothing.

I was buying them intentionally, but now that I'm saving up for a new girl I'm trying to stop myself from making any purchases.

6. Do you get one default outfit for your doll and then move on to the next or do you buy several different outfits for your dolls? It's depended on the doll. Some of mine are really hard to shop for (odd sizes) so that's limited their wardrobe. Everyone has at least one really nice outfit. Some have multiple getups.

Nah. I'm always working on them in some way even if it's not on a new outfit.

(If you have many) how many per doll? Are you biased towards one particular outfit or do you change them regularly? When do you have too many clothes? Most of mine have one outfit I really like and they spend most of their time in that. I'll change them once in a while on a whim.

I buy intentionally. I haven't impulse bought much clothing. I think I have more of a problem with impulse buying wigs and eyes. And entire dolls / : |

7. Do you get one default outfit for your doll and then move on to the next or do you buy several different outfits for your dolls? I buy/make lots of difrent clothes for my girl.

(If you only have one) do your dolls ever feel boring? Do you lose interest in them because you don't spoil or customise them further with clothing? I think it would be very boring.

(If you have many) how many per doll? Are you biased towards one particular outfit or do you change them regularly? When do you have too many clothes? I changes my doll clothes like every day. You can't have too many clothes :D

I only buy what I need to buy. :)

8. Do you get one default outfit for your doll and then move on to the next or do you buy several different outfits for your dolls?
      My dolls are cosplayers. They cosplay multiple characters. Then they have their own everyday character, who doesn't wear the same clothes all the time anymore than I do myself. One BIG reason I got dolls was to sew for them & to get them things to wear that I'd love but would look ridiculous in.

It DOES get boring not to change everybody's outfits & I say this because I haven't had the time lately to sew & there are a couple dolls I have which only fit one outfit at the moment. Poor dolls!

OK, wrong person to ask about 'too many' clothes. Cause my criteria on that is, wow am I out of storage space yet?

Well yeah - I sew a lot actually - & I pick up second-hand things for casual wear but then I have specific things I search all over for (the cosplay mentioned). I plan on doing photo-stories so all of this is done w/a goal in mind!

9. Do you get one default outfit for your doll and then move on to the next or do you buy several different outfits for your dolls?
      During my collecting phase I've definitely been one to buy the doll, get it an outfit, rinse and repeat. Everybody has to have at least one outfit of their own here but I prefer to get everybody home before I start expanding their wardrobes. Usually the dolls have one set of eyes, one outfit, one wig and one pair of shoes when they get there, but there have been exceptions.

Nope! The beauty of these dolls for me is the characters they can represent. When there's so many photos to take, so many stories to be told and an abundant way of setting them up in places to scare the heck out of people it gets very difficult to be bored of them. I certainly would like to get them more clothing for variety though.

My first, second and fourth dolls have multiple outfits because I've had more time to get them things. I like to change them around every once in a while but there are definitely some pieces I like more than others or that look more 'comfortable' for them to wear on a day to day basis. There's too many clothes when you have nowhere to store them - which is how I think about my own wardrobe, too, come to think of it :sweat

Yep! I pick only the things that I think my characters would wear. There are some things I love the look of that just wouldn't look right on the dolls that I have.

10. Do you get one default outfit for your doll and then move on to the next or do you buy several different outfits for your dolls?

Both actually!
      Everyone of them has a default outfit of some sorts, it's usually the one that represents them or their "job" the best. I have two priests for example so their default outfit is their cassock, and when I buy clothes for a doll I try my best to get this default outfit at first and it's also often the one they wear the most or I get back to regulary.
      It's also the outfit they NEVER share with any other doll.
      After I got this outfit I buy more clothes and outfits that match the doll, but these can be shared with others sometimes when the size fits and the design is not too "totally doll XY".

I can't really say how much I have :'D
      I'd describe it as "A lot but never enough", I have two cabinets for them and everyone has one or two drawers full of clothes and actually every drawer is bursting out of its seams. If you open them the clothes pretty much jump up to you because it's so full. I must admit some of them have pretty big outfits, big as in it's one outfit sewn/designed in a way that makes it take up a lot of space, like reaaaaaally long dresses, but it's mostly really that they have a lot of different pieces.
      Also with a lot of dolls it seems like you own a lot more too, if you have 15 dolls and everyone has a pair of pants you suddenly have 15 pairs of pants at home!
      In reality it's not much if you look at each doll seperately, because well...it only has one pair of pantsafter all :PI'm usually biased towards one outfit, usually because it describes them the best and it's the one that makes me instantly think of the doll it belongs to, but I also change them regulary. Some dolls more than others though, and some have more clothes than others too, mostly because it's easy to shop for them size and style-wise. And I think you have too much clothes when you really never use them, as in old and maybe damaged stuff you bought years ago or stuff that doesn't even suit your taste or any of your dolls.
      I know it's sometimes hard to let go of clothes, but it's sometimes for the best and I'm not a fan of clinging onto unused stuff for too long. I had a few things I owned for years and never used them but also wasn't able to give away till I realized they are just taking away space for things I'd actually like and would use, so I tossed them out/finally sold them.So it's too much for me if you just pile up stuff you never want to use/don't even like in the end. If you like/use everything you own there is never a too much ;)

Yes, I'm someone who likes to plan things, sometimes long ahead the actual buying of a doll the clothes will be for (either because I lacked an actual doll idea or just the money for the planned doll), but I also have a few things I decided for myself not to buy, even if I wanted them very much. I like DH Fers for example but all the ones I owned ended up being sold after a while, I'm just not meant to own them, and some outfits that are "just pretty" but would never be used here. I know there are a few styles and outfits I love to look at but would end up never using for a doll or doll concept, so I try to avoid the "oooh pretty" feeling as good as possible and only buy stuff that is pretty AND useful.

11. I make holiday themed clothes lol. And they have PJ's. But I don't put the dolls to bed. They sit around in them.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2

12. Do you get one default outfit for your doll and then move on to the next or do you buy several different outfits for your dolls?
      Generally, I make about 95% of my dolls clothes. I try for everybody having at least one outfit but it doesn't always work out that way.

Nope, clothes don't make the doll for me. It can help, but i don't see dressing them a particular way as customizing them.

I have a lot of clothes and a lot of odd-sized dolls which, by their odd size means that they have clothes that are specific for them and won't fit others (or won't fit properly may be a better statement). Some dolls have an overflowing closet. Some have one or two. I have one doll that doesn't have any, but that's more because he just refuses to wear clothes despite my trying to get him into something so he's not prancing around naked.

I very rarely buy things since most everything is sewn by me. There are a few outfits that I've seen that I like and would work for certain dolls and I might talk myself into buying it, but that would be only if I'd tried and failed to make something similar.

13. Do you get one default outfit for your doll and then move on to the next or do you buy several different outfits for your dolls? I typically try and get them each 1 very nice outfit, but more often than not they share clothes and take and give from various complete outfit sets and mix n' match piles.

(If you only have one) do your dolls ever feel boring? Do you lose interest in them because you don't spoil or customise them further with clothing? I customize the heck out of mine short of new faceups most of the time, new wig, eyes, clothes, etc. And even if I dont change their clothes all that often, they're never really boring because I tend to give them personalities as well.

I have at least 1-2 specific to that particular girl, I do tend to be biased to skirts and street casuals, but not a hard rule by any means. And I never have too many clothes!

Do you buy or not-buy intentionally? I buy intentionally, but I'd prefer if I could get off of that so often and get back to learning to make my own.

14. Do you get one default outfit for your doll and then move on to the next or do you buy several different outfits for your dolls?
      Lots of outfits! I'm a bit of a clothes horse myself (and love costumes and period clothing!) and so are my dolls. In fact, I have even bought outfits for dolls that I don't own yet! I also like to sew for them and use them as models. I guess I live vicariously through them. I put them in things I would love to wear myself! :lol:

Well, right now, I only have one BJD and she already has 5 or 6 outfits. I've tried them all on her, but tend to keep her in one outfit for a month or so. If it is a real favorite, maybe a season. To me, the clothes are part of the hobby. Can you have too many? If they become clutter or sit in storage and collect dust for too long, maybe. For my fashion dolls, I try to apply the same rule as I do my own clothes - If I haven't worn it in a two or three years, it's time to let it go.

A little of both. Sometimes, I will tirelessly hunt for weeks for the right outfit or pieces to create a certain look I have in mind. Other times, I'll just happen to come across some gorgeous period gown or pirate garb that I can't say no to. :)

15. Do you get one default outfit for your doll and then move on to the next or do you buy several different outfits for your dolls?
      I like to have several different outfits for my dolls. I like the chance to change outfits if I want.

I don't really know how many outfits I have for each of my dolls. I do like to own many tops and pants so I can mix and match. No, I'm not biased toward any particular outfit. When do I have to many clothes? Probably when I can't store them all.

Both. I do have things that I might want for my dolls and I will look out for them, otherwise I have been known to stumble across clothing that I like and get.

16. Do you get one default outfit for your doll and then move on to the next or do you buy several different outfits for your dolls?

All of my dolls have at least one "default" outfit, one that is absolutely theirs, the one they wear most often and no other doll would ever wear. Megumi has two: her "Western" gear (brocade jacket, halter top, jeans, boots) and her sky-blue kimono. Belle has her "swamp gypsy" outfit in purple-plum colors. Ashe has her biker jacket, distressed jeans and wifebeater. Miyae has her lavender sweater and green khakis. Even Chaeri, who has more clothes than any of the others, has a default outfit: her crossbone heart sweater and jeans with white trainers striped with pink and black.

I haven't lost interest in any of my dolls, although Chaeri claims most of my attention these days. I still interact with my other dolls, just not to the same extent.

I literally could not count how many clothes Riri has. Ashe has the fewest outfits, maybe half a dozen, but she wears her biker gear 99 percent of the time. Megumi has both kimono/yukata and Western clothing, and swaps back and forth. Miyae prefers sporty, outdoorsy clothes, things she can move in. Belle favors long skirts and laced corsets. And Chaeri is my little fashion chameleon, she'll wear just about anything. She has a suitcase and several boxes full of clothes, and that doesn't even count the cosplay and lolita outfits!

....Not even sure what this means. About half of the clothes my kids wear are store- or internet-bought, the other half I make.

17. So far I have one doll, two sets of leggings and two stretch tops so the poor guy wouldn't be nekkid until I got costumes made. Being a costumer for real-size people, I suspect that I will be making numerous outfits for this doll and the ones that follow. Sincerely doubt I will buy any more clothing (with the exception of shoes) because most everything I see I say "I can make that!"

18. Do you get one default outfit for your doll and then move on to the next or do you buy several different outfits for your dolls?

I usually buy lots of different outfits because it's kinda boring if they only have one!

When I start losing interest, I tend to sew more stuff for them, so they don't really get boring.

I have a couple outfits for each doll. They normally wear the same outfits though. I put them in the prettiest outfits then change them for photos and stuff. There's no such thing as too many clothes!

I buy stuff if it fits my dolls' characters.

19. It honestly depends on which doll...Avalon has a few outfits, Kazumi has maybe four..Vala a few...I need to work on their wardrobes more.

20. My MSD's all have tons of clothes because they can raid my bigger fashion doll's wardrobe and find a lot that fits. With the exception of shoes, and even there I've been able to make it work somewhat, a lot of my Tonner type stuff works just as well for BJD's as stuff made for them. My poor SD's on the other hand have a very limited wardrobe. My girls I have some stuff that fits, but my guys are all totally naked awaiting me making them some stuff.