1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Your doll's wardrobe: Empty or Bursting?

Jan 31, 2011

1. Do you get one default outfit for your doll and then move on to the next or do you buy several different outfits for your dolls?
      Several outfits, and anything I see that I feel "fits" them inevitably becomes theirs as well.

How many per doll? Are you biased towards one particular outfit or do you change them regularly? When do you have too many clothes?
      There's no set amount per doll, because like I said, anything I feel "fits" them becomes theirs.. and I always love making or buying more for them, too.

Do you buy or not-buy intentionally?
      Depends. I like certain styles which can be difficult to find, so I prefer to make... but sometimes I find stuff I love that I have to have, so I buy it.

2. Just to add my grain of sand to a nice topic^^.

Do you get one default outfit for your doll and then move on to the next or do you buy several different outfits for your dolls?

I have many outfits for nearly all my dolls. Some share outfits and accesoires, because they have a similar style, other can not, mainly because of size.

(If you only have one) do your dolls ever feel boring? Do you lose interest in them because you don't spoil or customise them further with clothing?

Only one of my boys has one set of clothing, and that is simply because I'm a lazy a**. He will have his wardrobe of black charisma one day, but at the moment ge is hanging around in one set... It's a very nice set, I love it, but over time, and if I start photographing them again, it will get boring. (the clothes issue, not the doll^^)

(If you have many) how many per doll? Are you biased towards one particular outfit or do you change them regularly? When do you have too many clothes?

Each of my boys has a wardrobe/closet of their own. I'm not based on one outfit, just have some I like more^^. The ones I like less will eventually go over time. But I'm base on who gets new outfits. I have this spoiled little brat that got here first, and he has massive amounts of clothes. When is it to much? The moment you can not close the closet anymore. Then it's time to get things out, even if they are "Oh so cool".

To clarify, I don't buy.
      I do myselve or let do in swaps. And yes international is fine.

3. Do you get one default outfit for your doll and then move on to the next or do you buy several different outfits for your dolls?
      Oh, I buy quite a few, but I guess I always have favourite outfits for different dolls.

How many per doll? Are you biased towards one particular outfit or do you change them regularly? When do you have too many clothes?
      My dolls share their clothes....Oh no, never too many outfits...as long as they are all nice and not just bought for the sake of adding a new outfit!...If I really like a outfit on a particular doll she may stay in it for a while, but I do like to change them all as regular as I can.

I buy Internationally nearly all of the time..I am from the UK and you don't find many nice outfits for dolls, well Fairyland dolls, in the UK :-/

4. ​I have several outfits for my doll and I hope to buy more thought most of my doll's outfits are black. Changing of outfits for me takes place every 2 weeks approx. I buy intentionally for the most part. I'm more interested in accessories and not as interested in buying tops (I like my male doll topless). :D

5. Do you get one default outfit for your doll and then move on to the next or do you buy several different outfits for your dolls?
      Most of my dolls have a default outfit. Now before they get said outfit they may wear some generic stuff just so they're not naked. Syd has never taken off her outfit since I got it for her. I've taken her jacket off once or twice but that's it. When I get Maria done she'll probably have a few outfits. The vocalist she's based on has a number of different styles and I can't pick just one lol.

How many per doll? Are you biased towards one particular outfit or do you change them regularly? When do you have too many clothes?As mentioned in the previous question, I typically only have one outfit. I think of them as like anime/cartoon characters in that they have the same outfit to better identify them (if that makes sense? lol)

Doesn't matter to me. Syd and Zoey's outfit (minus the shoes and Syd's jacket) all came from Dollmore. But usually when I buy international I try to get in a GO to save money on shipping.

6. I love buying doll clothing. Sometimes I think I own dolls simply to justify buying doll clothing. XD

For me, "too many" outfits would have to be based on space constraints and owning outfits I don't actually like. At this point, space constraints haven't become a problem and I like all of the outfits I currently own. I don't aim for any specific number or variety of outfits per doll; I just buy what I like when I like it and can afford it. I think I have at least 5 outfits per doll, but some of my dolls can fit in the same outfits, and I don't know what's the highest number of outfits per doll that I have.

Even with that, I don't necessarily change their outfits frequently or on a regular basis. I only change their clothing when it suits my fancy to see them wearing something else.

7. Each of my dolls have at least two outfits and some various odds and ends to change up their look. I wouldn't say my doll wardrobe was bursting, but it isn't empty either. I change up what the dolls are wearing every few weeks.

My SDs actually share most of their clothing, since they can wear the same size things.

I do have a few outfits that I come back to over and over, but only on certain dolls.

I only had a few items of clothing for a while, and it was a bit boring. I also felt bad because my dolls did not have a lot.

But now, I feel pretty good and will try to stop getting clothes for a while. I'm planning a buy hiatus where I focus more on doing things with the dolls, and clothing should be a part of it.

8. Do you get one default outfit for your doll and then move on to the next or do you buy several different outfits for your dolls?
      Both my dolls have multiple outfits! I buy many separates and mix-and-match!

(If you only have one) do your dolls ever feel boring? Do you lose interest in them because you don't spoil or customize them further with clothing?
      Umm, to me this is kind of like, you can go to New York and be "Woah! So bright and busy!" or move to New York and be "Just another day." If I see my dolls wearing the same outfit all the time, it gets boring though "It's so cute!" the first time they wear it. My dolls have a small wardrobe so far which means they get spoiled a bunch!

(If you have many) how many per doll? Are you biased towards one particular outfit or do you change them regularly? When do you have too many clothes?
      If their clothes start not fitting into the box I have for them, we have too many clothes ^^' I have certain pieces I like best but change is good!

If I have extra money, I go around and search for things to get randomly. ^^'

9. Do you get one default outfit for your doll and then move on to the next or do you buy several different outfits for your dolls?
      I always try to determine a particular style and have multiple outfit in this style

(If you only have one) do your dolls ever feel boring? Do you lose interest in them because you don't spoil or customize them further with clothing?
      I can not imagine keeping a single outfit, I think I really get tired very quickly

There is always one that I love more than others but that does not prevent me from doing a variety of tests. when I have too many clothes? lol when I need a new larger box for storing all and a new one and a new one ...

a bit of both ...it all depends on my wallet

10. Do you get one default outfit for your doll and then move on to the next or do you buy several different outfits for your dolls?
      Yes! But only default outfit which I think suit my doll well or I totally like it. It's usually that it isn't a default one from my dolls but from other dolls. I keep them all together with my others which I buy them or make by myself. I haven't sold any default outfit which I bought yet because I really do like them. But for general clothing or my handmade one, I may consider to sell one day! :D

(If you only have one) do your dolls ever feel boring? Do you lose interest in them because you don't spoil or customise them further with clothing?
      Not at all, because if I feel boring, I will just make a new one for them by myself. I like sewing, so more than half of their clothing are from me.

I don't know how many per doll because some of them can wear them together because of their style and size. And some of my dolls have more than 20 clothing but some don't have their own completed one yet. I change them regularly, about every 2 week or more often, up to occasion (meeting, holidays, etc). I guess I have a bit too many handmade clothing and my mom always says that I should sell some off, so that I can make a new one. Haha :D

I buy them intentionally.

11. Do you get one default outfit for your doll and then move on to the next or do you buy several different outfits for your dolls?
      I have several outfits for my dolls but I do try and buy each one their own item for a theme. So for example until very recently I only had 2 girls and I got them both a kimono, I have a boy who is a birthday gift (roll on next month so I can have him!) who came with a samurai outfit but I bought myself a boy and my husband bought me another boy as a birthday gift so I now need to get either kimonos or samurai outfits for the 2 boys. I also bought a lolita style dress and then immediately bought another (same colour but different style) so my girls would match/be even.

My dolls all share clothes, even the boy and girls (so the girls may wear his shirt and he may borrow their jacket etc), I don't specifically select certain clothes for certain dolls but some just look better on some of them or fit better (particularly as one girl is a minifee). I do the same with the wigs I have, they share all of the wigs but one of the blonde wigs is smaller then the other so fits on the minifee, a long pink wig I have is a bit big on my minifee but looks great on my other girl (see my avatar pic). I think they will have too many clothes when several items do not get worn at all but so far they have a nice selection without it being too much.

I am always looking, I keep saying no more (particularly as I've just had lots comissioned for them) but then something catches my eye, like yesterday I bought a fishnet shirt that will look great on one of my birthday boys, then I got some leather pants because I think it will look good with the shirt and the cutest little hoodie with ears on for the girls. I keep telling myself no more but I still keep on looking lol

12. Do you get one default outfit for your doll and then move on to the next or do you buy several different outfits for your dolls?
      I like to have several outfits for my dolls (hence my answer below) but I also want to change the style of my dolls.

It's not that I have THAT many clothes, but I have no idea how many outfits I have per doll. I collect 62cm-65cm boys so they can swap clothes. They each have their own look so, yes I would be biased toward dressing them in their style. But I do change their outfits fairly often, some more than others - just because they have more clothes that fit or suit them.

As far as too many clothes…I was really feeling that way for a while until more dolls got added to the collection. So I don't need to worry about buying anything but the doll. There are some clothes I haven't put my dolls in a long time - so I think I have too many. And since all of my dolls are fully dressed and I still have a ton of pants, shirts, sweaters, shoes that I could change them into; probably enough to clothe another 10 dolls, I do think I have too many. I don't want 10 more dolls for sure...

99% of the outfits my dolls have are from companies outside of the US.

13. Do you get one default outfit for your doll and then move on to the next or do you buy several different outfits for your dolls?

I try to get several outfits for my dolls so I can change their style and explain their stories more fluidly.

I have 2-3 'good' outfits per doll. They usually get changed about once a month when it's time for a meetup.
      Too many clothes? There is no such thing! I want more!

Tough question. The marketplace is too strong; I'm sucked in and have to buy things! ><

14. Do you get one default outfit for your doll and then move on to the next or do you buy several different outfits for your dolls?

I like for all of my dolls to have several outfits that are theirs personally.

My minimum is 5 shirts, 3 bottoms, underwear, 2 pairs of shoes, and accessories for each dolls, these things being specifically THEIRS and only theirs. There is no limit on how many they can have, some of them *cough*Dhani*cough* have around 30 shirts and 10 or more bottoms. If they're a favorite doll, or have been with me a long time, or are very easy to sew for, they tend to get more. If I'm not too sure if they'll be staying, or they have a very specific style that's hard to shop or sew for, they have much less. There are also some clothing pieces that get shared. I have over 30 dolls and there's no point in buying multiples of the same basic clothing pieces (like blank tshirts/tanks, basic jeans, etc) when they can share. Only exception is if several dolls need to match at one time.
      They get changed somewhat regularly, some more than others, but there usually is one outfit I like best for each of them. I try not to have them in it too much, though, so it doesn't get boring.
      You can never have "too many" clothes! :D

I intentionally try to make every doll have their minimum clothing amounts. But I often end up with "accidental" clothes, when I buy for one and it fits another better, or find the perfect fabric for something I hadn't considered making, or get offered random things in trades, or gifted things from friends or at meets, or surprised with freebies when I buy a doll. With so many dolls with differing styles, unless it's extreme fantasy or costume, chances are somebody in the house can use it, so not much gets sold unless I sell off all dolls that can wear it. (It kind of broke my heart to sell off some of the mature mini clothes I had hoarded for years, but since I have no plans to ever own another mature mini, they had to go.)

15. Do you get one default outfit for your doll and then move on to the next or do you buy several different outfits for your dolls?
      Several different outfits.
      I love to have variety. I don't have a default outfit for either doll just like I don't have a default outfit for myself.

I have 2 full outfits for my minifee and 1 full outfit for my SD (2 more on the way) with random pieces I can mix and match. I also will use my SD's tops as dresses for my MSD and I will use my MSD's stockings as knee high's on the SD. I like to change my dolls regularly. I don't think I can have too many clothes, wigs, shoes etc for them. I like to switch things up.

If I see something I love and I have the money, I generally buy it. Whether I NEED it or not is another story...

16. Do you get one default outfit for your doll and then move on to the next or do you buy several different outfits for your dolls?
      Sadly, money wise the trend is my dolls have one default outfit each, at least. My oldest doll (Souldoll Miryu) has the outfit she came in, which oddly wasn't BJD clothes, but from another doll of a similar size, and a pair of black boots. I found a 2 outfit bundle on ebay from a BJD clothes maker I loved at the time and bought that plus a pair of panda shoes, and one of the outfits she's worn ever since. My Dollzone Megi+ ugly floating head came in a cat onesie, with a fantasy set of clothing extra. He wears the outfit and Miryu's original boots still. My B&G Sapphira came with a white robe and the victorian outfit he currently has on....and that's that. B&G Leile came nekkid, lol. So....mom brought me some small doll clothes from I'm assuming the toy store, and that's what she currently wears. XD

Poor Sapphira. HE actually does feel boring. I do love his clothes, but they aren't fit for the kind of elf I want him to be. He just sits there for now, with his pretty teal pupil-less eyes knowing he has plans, but no money or time. XD

Like I said above...my Miryu has the most. And I am fixated on one because it's so darn cute on her! I just wish the lace fit her, erm...chest better. >_< And there is no such thing as too many clothes for a loved doll! MONEY is the PROBLEM. XD

Intentionally only because they are expensive. I have a lack of clothing for myself, so sometimes it comes down to an outfit for a doll or a pair of jeans for me. Which is weird because I'm so much bigger! However, my coming Unoa Sist already has two outfits, two pairs of boots, 3 wigs, and a set of eyes coming for her...It's for my birthday, dang it.

17. Do you get one default outfit for your doll and then move on to the next or do you buy several different outfits for your dolls?

All my dolls have more than one outfit; I have three fabric covered boxes in which I store each size. Some are full sets, others are just mix and match pieces. Dolls of the same size share outfits, though at this time, I have only 6 human dolls.

I have 8 full sets, 4 pairs of shoes, and 2 pairs of bloomers in Yo size, but I only have one doll in this size: a Custom House Ange Ai Uri. Consequently, she's my oldest doll.

I have 9 MSD sized outfits and 9 pairs of shoes, and 3 dolls in this size, though one is slimmer than the other two.

I have 10 SD sized outfits, 2 coats, and one set of underwear for 2 SD sized dolls very similar in proportion and size to the Volks SD10's. So, most of the outfits are Volks outfits, which I adore. They have 7 pairs of shoes, though some belonged to dolls that I've sold and are too slim to fit my current dolls.

I do have favorite outfits, though truth be told, I just change them when the mood strikes me. Sometimes I keep them in the same outfit for over half a year, sometimes for only a few days or so.

I will have too many clothes when I can no longer store them. :)

Believe it or not, I don't consider it a necessity to have clothes for my dolls; I just get them when I get them. So, I guess I've never looked at sites with intention, thinking: ok, I have to get this and that for this doll.

When I have the time (usually during the summer), I go around to my favorite doll sites and see what's new, and if the mood strikes me, I buy them. Volks releases is the only one that I follow with some regularity, so I have had some impulse purchases with them.

18. I should mention this.

I have 2 MNFs incoming, along with another body for a floating head, also a MNF. They are sharing a small photo box from Michaels Crafts store, and it is nearly over flowing! However their wigs are also in there so I think that might account for the space being taken up. But I have bought another box for them since that one is overflowing. Just so many cute MNF items out there!

19. Do you get one default outfit for your doll and then move on to the next or do you buy several different outfits for your dolls?
      No they both have multiple outfits. Each one has to have their original or cannon outfits before I'd consider them done because they are both existing characters. For Souji at least, that is as many as 6 or 7 outfits!

I don't limit the amount of clothing each gets but Deidara's body is harder to buy for so he has a little less. I change them just because I feel like it and also to match the season. I also don't think they'll ever have too many clothes because like, when does a person consider that they themselves have too many clothes? XD I like changing their outfits!

I'm not sure I understand this question. If you mean like on a whim or planned, I usually buy them because I planned it and the only time I would buy on a whim is because it was limited and it was nessecary for the character.

20. Do you get one default outfit for your doll and then move on to the next or do you buy several different outfits for your dolls?
      It depends on the doll, really. I like character dolls, so dolls like that will usually have a default outfit. I'm planning on buying a doll or two that won't have a "set character" and I'll play "dress-up" with them, but I have a feeling they may end up in one outfit most of the time anyway ^^;;

No, I don't ever feel bored with them. I like to play with them and take pictures of them and just hang out with them in general, and I don't think their outfit would ever bore me.

I buy outfits very intentionally. I commissioned my two non-oc character's outfits, and everyone else's I've scoured the internet and craft stores for, or at least fabric for them. It's the same when I buy wigs; I'll look around everywhere until I find the perfect one. Sometimes, there are clothes I find along the way that I like too much to pass up, and they inspire ideas for new outfits and dolls to wear them (one of my recent yo-sd's outfits consists of a coat, skirt, and shoes that I bought around 9 or 10 months prior to receiving him, and during that time I bought the eyes and some of the accessories without him even having formed in my mind yet. Other parts were just things that I had bought along the way).