1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Your FIRST face-up

Oct 26, 2009

1. I was pretty surprised with my first face-up attempt. It was on my delf el... I wanted him to look smug, with blonde eyebrows. I was happy with it for about a month then I was just horribly embarrassed by the eyebrows LOL- I have since replaced it and I like the new one a whole lot better but it's rubbing off now orz...

It was really fun though <3 IMHO, it was a lot better than what I thought I could do, and a lot better than some firsts I've seen... It was a good experience~

2. The first face-up I did (that I actually sealed rather than went 'oh, this pastel will just be washed off later') wasn't too bad. I only used watercolor pencils, paintbrushes (for sharper lines), and chalk pastels. Plus some weird sealer that left the face overly shiny. But the eyebrows were amazing and I loved them. the rest was acceptable. XD

3. My first face-up wasn't a nightmare, but it certainly wasn't good either. Needless to say, I have long since wiped that face-up.

4. My first wasn't too bad, not very good, but good enough to please me :) at least my boy had a face again :p It was very natural, but soon it got a bit more extreme and darker.
      I never painted so fine before, especially not on a non-flat surface so I was rather pleased :) I had been going to the art academy in my spare time for about 13 years so I knew how to draw fine, it just wasn't that easy to paint it on a face :p
      But practice brings knowledge :) I've improved a lot since the first, still not perfect but yeh, suppose I need more practice heads :p (great excuse to keep buying, don't you think? ;))

5. I FINALLY DID MY FIRST FACEUP!
      IT CAME OUT AMAZING
      I LOVED IT
      Okay, I'm done XD It looked really awesome <3

6. hahaha very over-shaded and terrible. i could not believe that was done by me.
      and the very first face-up could only last for one week, than i removed it.

7. Im scared to do it, so im probably gonna send my doll with my friends to this person who does incredible face-ups lol.

8. Photos MAY NOT be posted into a discussion thread - please post pictures of your first Face-up into the thread in our Picture Request thread -

YOUR first face up? ò.Ó

Thank you!

9. I thought my first faceup was okay--the video and picture tutorials really helped, I have to say. The paintwork itself, I thought was very nice for a start and would have kept it (this was on a Delf Lishe head I no longer own), but my careless fingers left many pastel smudges all over so I ended up wiping it all off entirely. :(

10. So bad that I also stain the resin for no good reason because I cleaned really bad.

11. I tried my first face up last week, and to my surprise it looked much better than I ever expected it to! It was on my Kid Delf Ani, who I bought with faint stains on her forehead, so my goal was to do a face up AND cover the stains...I used watercolor pencils & pastels, and really enjoyed trying out various techniques like making freckles and blushing...I made the eyebrows with pencil, and they were what pleased me the most, because I loved the shape I created and they gave her just the whimsical look I'd been hoping for. It was a completely positive experience, and I'm so looking forward to working on her again, with paints too this time!

12. my first face up wasn't too bad but i changed it like a week after cuz he was to pinky xD
      but now im okay with it i love how looks now :3

13. My first (and only) face-up came out surprisingly well. There are minor issues, but overall even I have to admit it's pretty good (and I'm way hard on myself!). I credit the quality to having read EVERY TUTORIAL I COULD FIND (both on DOA and on the web, especially ones with videos), and really took to heart the material suggestions, using good quality brushes, pastels, paint, and sealer. I really don't think there's a benefit to taking shortcuts on materials and technique- don't be in a hurry!

14. The first faceup I ever did was really really really bad. My second was really really bad, the third one was eh, the fourth was not my cup of tea, but surprisingly it was very popular. A picture taken of that doll with that faceup came to be one of my most fav'd deviations. I haven't really done many faceups recently. They aren't my thing.

15. My first attempt was uh, really really amateurish, blocky eyebrows, flat blushing, hot pink lips. Several faceups later, I can safely say I am "competent". :lol:

16. My first was..pretty bad, but not altogether horrible. The eyebrows were too dark, but the rest was too light, almost unnoticeable. My second faceup had great blushing, but the eyebrows still kinda sucked. xD Actually, that doll is still wearing my second faceup attempt almost 2 years later. I love everything but those darn eyebrows..but, since his wig always covers them, I've just left it as is and hope no one peeks under his bangs. x3;; Many many faceups later, I'm fairy confident in my abilities, and even like how I do eyebrows now. :)

17. Hmm... It was okay, decent enough but it's only 65-77%/99.99% of what I had in mind. I honestly don't know how to put eyebrows since I don't do mine, my mother does. Also, I don't have doll lashes, paint, thinner and glossy sealant. ^^; I really have to learn how to control how much "make-up" I put. >.<

18. I was more than a little apprehensive about my first face-up. I do NOT have any talent with paint brushes, but neither to I have the extra money to spend on not only buying a face-up from some of the amazing artists here, but sending my doll heads out. Surprisingly, I did better than I expected (which was total crap, a five year old child could have done better than my expectations of myself), better than my girlfriend (who'd been in the hobby for a couple years at that point) expected. Rather than wonder at the level of both mine and my girlfriends expectations, I just went ahead and kept at it.

I'm decent at applying make-up to myself and others, and with the pastels, it's (to me) essentially the same thing. Blush goes in a specific place, at a certain level of red/pink/brown, eye make-up is multi-layered and colored for uniqueness and depth. Lips were tricky for me at first, and eyebrows and eyelashes still trip me up every time, but I feel I'm getting better.

Now, mind, I'm still nowhere near as good as some of the professional face-up artists out there (evidenced by me sending out one of my boys to them), but I'm happy with my results... for about three months, then I start all over again.

19. I thought mine looked pretty decent, until I came online and compared it to some of the other faces people can do, but I still thought it was ok.
      Until the MSC started chipping after a week. :(

20. I did my first face-up and it was awful. But at the time I thought it was ok. Then I got a look at it in the morning light. Ugh! The eyebrows were the worst. I can tone down the blush. Now I know that I have to use an even lighter hand than I thought. I took it all off and I'm going to start again when I have more patience.