1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Your FIRST face-up

Oct 26, 2009

1. My first didn't go half as bad as I expected it too. I personally don't feel that I have any artistic talent. I don't even wear make up (as in I have probably worn make up a total of 20 times in my entire 28 years of life). Luckily I had a great teacher sitting with me the entire time. I have done close to a dozen face ups since and I am getting better I think, though I've had a couple fails in there. I don't think I'll ever be a great artist like some I see on these boards though.

2. My first face-up wasn't TOO bad. I actually liked how it came out better than the second face-up I gave Poe (which is the one he has now). Only problem was that I made his eyebrows too high so he looked uber surprised lol. Now they just look out of place because they came out more orange-y than the brown shade I was going for

3. My first faceup was super bad. I surprised myself with just how bad it was. I'd been painting and illustrating for 10 years and I thought those skills would just transfer over...nope. But after years of practice I find my faceups satisfactory although I still want to improve and become amazing ^_^

4. My first faceup would have gotten me tried for crimes against resin people. I painted my friend's hound and I wish I still had pictures! Would have provided everyone with laughs : ) Thankfully with practice I've gotten much better, and though my faceups aren't as good as I would like, they're not so bad that they horrify me XD

5. My first complete faceup probably counted as five other partial faceups. It was far from a horror, but it definitely took a substantial amount of time. But, as I've learned with cooking, the more you practice the faster you get.:) Especially as you get more comfortable with your materials.

6. pretty good, though my bad boy ended up looking like a pretty girly geisha doll. the second one didnt come out as nice. But the rest have been pretty exallent!!

7. My first wasn't too bad. But it didn't give the natural look that I wanted. (Didn't help that I was trying to emulate the lights and shadows of a real character on a MNM head...) So I've since redone it twice more, and want to give it a fourth go. But it wasn't horrendous. I like make up and am an artist, so I feel like that gave me a bit of an edge. Despite that, though, there really is a technique. I used a bad coating material and it turned glossy and made my pastels look all grainy. So I had to wipe it. (Which took forever....)
      So yeah... lol, not horrendous, but nothing to write home about...

8. I am dreading my first faceup, I imagine it'll go horribly. However I'm going to look at every tutorial I can find and get the best materials I can first, just to try and push up the chance of it not being horrible :P

9. mine wasn't bad, it wasn't awesome but it was pretty good. i've kept all the ones i've done on my dolls for a long time, and i have yet to keep a doll that had a face-up not done by myself. although i am an art major, i don't really think that helped me since painting on a 3D surface is drastically different to a flat surface.

10. My first faceup was pretty awful; it just had cluelessness written all over it. Orange blush, thick characterless eyebrows, orange lips. The poor doll looked scared or worried most of the time :lol: Faceups are one of those things that get easier the more you do them imo - my recent faceups are much better than the first few, though there's still room for a lot of improvement.

11. My first face-up was completely unexpected and the result of a freak accident lmao.

The default face-up my RS Ni had chipped a little at the eyeliner and I colored it in with color pencil and you couldn't even tell the paint chipped off. However I realized it would fade if you touched it so I colored it in and spent hours in hobby lobby reading ingredients on sealant sprays and making sure they were matte finish and not gloss.

I finally found one that was resin safe, clear, and matte finish and bought it not even thinking about checking here to see if it was good (nobody's even mentioned it here LOL).

Got home, took Anemone's head outside, ducttaped newspaper to my porch and sat the head down. I sprayed a little sealant in the air to see which way the wind was blowing, sprayed some more so it would thin out and not chunk up, and then sprayed her head. It went on so liquidy and didn't dry smooth because....lol I forgot how Texas weather was! San Antonio to be specific with how its usually humid here. It made the sealant go on wonky. To top it off, the sealant melted the face-up off. I rushed the head inside and started to rinse under water and after realizing there was no way to salvage her face-up which I had JUST started liking thanks to her new pretty cobalt eyes, I scrubbed and chased the husband out to find Mr. Clean Magic Eraser, which he couldn't find it.

Disappointed that the face-up was gone and she looked eerily blank, I pulled out my acrylics and gave her a make-shift face-up which turned into scenegirl panda eyes lmao. I dealt with it for several months as it looked nice with these eyelashes that I had put on.

[​IMG]

I recently redid her face-up because I was kind of distraught because not long after putting those lashes on, I bent them 8u8;

her new face-up is more acceptable as it made her eyes look more wide and brighter, and I put glitter on her eyelids and lips since I wanted them sparkly but had no pearly powders. Unfortunately I didn't have the same eyelashes I had used on the previous face-up so no lovely lashes fanning upward to her eyebrows

[​IMG]

so that's my first face-up story LOL 8u8;;;;

12. My first face up...the doll's face was just...horrible. Straight eyebrow's and this green...blue eye shadow. Luckily my roommate was able to research on how to remove it and she even did a new one for me! That made me so happy and also it made my doll look beautiful.

13. When I got my first doll I was excited. I sat down and began to do his eyes with pastels. Little did I know that the pastels just did not stick to the resin that well.
      I tried acrylics. They were just making the doll look like a circus clown.
      I now have seven dolls. I have found that the pastels don't work on some resins.
      Since I am a perfectionist I contacted Soom and Impldoll. They told me they use an airbrush to get the base color and then tiny brushes for the eyelids and lashes.
      I just ordered my first airbrush. Now, I am excited to how this will work!

14. My first face-up was just too much red. I had bad lighting. lol i HAD to redo it. My second and third ones came out much better.

15. My first faceup didn't turn out too horrible. Her eyebrows and lips turned out great but her eyelashes are way too thick. I painted them with the finest brush I have which would probably have been okay for a larger doll but but too thick for my teeny Lati White. If I ever get around to redoing her lashes I'll give watercolor pencils a try.

16. My first faceup was HORRIFYING truly. Enky, you made me lol and I am definitely up for those crimes if anyone sees photos of my first faceup. Oy.
      Practice, a lot of practice, Dolpa class and a BJD artist's retreat class with amazing teachers like SDink and Belladonna made me a much more confident faceup artist.
      IRL, I am a makeup artist, and I am a fine artist. None of this however prepared me for the resin canvas.

17. It was...tolerable. For a first faceup. Of course, I redid it the next day, several times, until I got something less disgusting. But at least it didn't look like I had scribbled her face on with crayons. ^_^b
      I'm still working on faceups, and they're pretty bad, but I see improvements. Pastels and blushing are still the most horrible parts, because it's very difficult not to make my doll look like she's wearing too much makeup... alas, these things can only be learned through practice.

18. I did my very first face up yesterday, and this looks bad, pretty bad.
      I wish anyone had eyebrows, they are a nightmare to make. I tried draw the shape with pastel, tried use pencil, paint, everything looks too much 'masculine' for me. I think I put too much water with the paint because was too clear, she was looking 'hello, I dont have lashes', so I put more paint and did again, she looked like 'hello, I sleep with make up' and look like a panda D:
      I was thinking this goin to be easy, maybe because that I did everything wrong, but I will try again and again. o,ó/

19. Oh my. Don’t remind me on the first try XD It was on Aiwa and it looked awful for almost 3 months because I promised my friend not to take it off till she sees it in person (yeah, she was pretty much LOL).
      Maybe I’m a bit better now, just with weird color chooses. Eyebrows are really the pure horror to paint. Never (and I mean it) will I get these to be the same length or exact shape XD
      To this very day it is like try – epic fail, try again – semi fail, try again – and here we have something that could last a few months.
      I don’t see it tragically. The trying it is more fun than a first time success.

20. My first faceups were moderately disastrous. I discovered that average watercolor brushes are way too soft when painting dolls, that you have to really sharpen your watercolor pencils, and that eyebrows are best done in a dark-dark brown rather than just black. Fortunately I was using the right materials and whatever I did it was easily removed and didn't do any damage.

Nowadays my faceups are more acceptable, but I still have a ways to learn!