1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Your FIRST face-up

Oct 26, 2009

1. My first was..better then most, but I wasn't happy with it. Eyebrows were kinda just painted on and the eyes only had THICK black lines around them, Lips were nice. I have redone it and for only the 2nd time, I really like it! <3 I mean, I need to go find thinner brushes, but it is MUCH better then some of the others I have seen. [no offense to anyone]

2. Wow, this sounds a lot harder than I expected! I've been painting models for years but it sounds like those skills don't transfer so well. Even so I'm gonna get my first doll without a faceup...gotta try after all! I'm lucky to have Volks nearby so I can buy the right things at least.

3. My first wasn't that bad- I used watercolour pencils, so it came out alright- if a bit splotchy on the lips and brows. The second one was terrabad. Like, utterly hideous "OMG what- the- heck-" bad. I've just now gotten to the point where I'm actually satisfied with my work.

4. I think what I did is good enough, not that perfect but it turned out well...
      I never thought I could do it, because I was hesitant at first thinking that I could destroy her face
      but it took me alot of courage to do it, and it was indeed a success
      fulfilling and happy!

5. Mine wasn't too bad, but then again I only used pastels and watercolor pencils to do it. Acrylics sacred me and I didn't really try to make the lower lashes, but that will be an adventure for face up number 2.

6. I thought i could do it, but...it was so bad, i just put the head away and slept off the depression, it was horrific with my other attempts.
      I'm going to try again soon, i want to get better, but for now, i'm going to have to send two of them off for new faceups....

7. My first was okay... she looked a little like she catched a cold beacause I brush her eyes too red and get some pastels on her nose^^'' I used watercolor pencils for her lower eyelashes and it was terrible... than I wiped it off and tried new the next day. After that it went better and better, I get more defined eyelashes but the eyebrows were pale (first use pastells and then doing soft strokes with the watercolorpenil, that's how I do it^^). Currently I'm going to work with a thin brush and acrylics for details on the lips and lower eyelashes and I hope to get better and better =)

8. My first was pretty bad... not terrifyingly bad, but nowhere near good. For one i didn't have the proper sealant, I was using some acryic stuff that although luckily wouldn't damage the resin... was shiney, and had no tooth to hold the pastel. So he was blotchy all over.
      but then I got some proper spray, and used my higher quality pastels and things improved! I'm still not up to sellable standard, but getting better all the time!

9. I think my first turned out pretty good, for a first attempt! I know practice makes perfect but I'm going to enjoy her for a little while before trying again.

To be honest the thing that was trickiest for me was applying the eyelashes! It took me forever to figure out how to get them to stick and look good.

Although I did start out with all the right materials - MSC, tiny brushes, good quality paints etc. It does make a difference. But I have been repainting Barbies for a while now so that probably helped!

10. The mouth was a bit to long and thin, then I redid it and came out much better
      I can't do eyebrows but she looks fine, she has bangs anyway, she's the one on my avatar :)
      Though I didn't blush her at all.

11. My first face-up didn't turn out so bad! Truth be told, I was constantly wiping/erasing parts I didn't like so it took me two days to finish but it could have been MUCH WORSE. My eyebrows were heavy though... eyebrows are my nemesis

12. Mine was so horrible I never tried again. In fact, I even got made fun of on another forum because of it, and ended up selling the doll. I still liked the doll, but seeing him with my horrible faceup and all, made me feel like he be better off with an owner who could do better. Now all of mine are company or by MUCH better artist than me. I can't even photograph my dolls well! (Hince why I don't post any.)

13. I need to try to do a face up for my doll. I just know I'm going to be so nevous though. And all those materials will really add up too.

14. Not too bad...when I finished the first one so thought and took pictures that looks unreceptable now...

15. I was lucky! I had somebody with me as a guide who'd been doing face-ups for ages.
      So I know the general techniques but I'm a bit heavy handed. I'll get the knack eventually!

16. When I did my first, I was doing two at the same time. One of them had good lips, the other had good(ish) brows and a decent black eye. That's about all that was good. The bad was that both of them looked kind of dirty from the pastel dust going everywhere, and the MSD had what I referred to as "alien lips". I had used what was supposed to be a brown watercolor pencil, but after all was said and done, he looked like he'd just eaten about ten candy apple pops XD My second attempt I was darn proud of.. until the eyebrow smeared off while I was wiping some dirt off -.- I haven't reached a level I'm satisfied with yet, but I hope to with time.

17. Mine was so bad it would have made a cat laugh! I'm going to try again, though. Even if it's terrible again and I have to wipe it & send it off for a professional faceup, I still think it's fun to try ;).

18. My first, last and of course only face up was awful. Of course I was just seeing if I could do it. Since I can't I let others do it for me & quite happy.

19. Gr8Story - you are talented :)

Well my first face up wasn't on a bjd but on a pullip face since I started as a pullip collector .. I remember I freaked out couple of times, was almost wishing I never did it more times and end up sopping over her eyes LOL ..

I am an artist and I got pretty decent skills so I was surprised how hard it was that I was like : no more tries until you master learning .. obviously, there is few tutorials for face ups for pullips .. I couldn't find much at all and all what I could found was written materials with no photos so I was on my own ..

I enjoyed the experience I can tell, but I had lots of mistakes =( .. one of them that I used markers around her eyes as liner >< .. I am getting MSC soon hopefully so I will re-do her face up .. This face up was done only after sanding her face and I used pastels since I didn't know if I can work with acrylics on 3d faces o.o

This is my girl look
      [​IMG]