1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Your opinion on multiple layaways

Sep 28, 2019

1. I think doing layaways depends on your financial position as well. For me, I will only have one layaway at a time because I feel like I'll forget what day the payments are due.

Another thing I do, is make sure that I have enough money in my hobby funds to be able to pay for the full amount or at least a few months worth before putting a doll on layaway. You never know what might happen in a few months so I'd rather be safe and have extra money to pay off the doll so I don't lose the money I already spent.

2. I’ve really tried to avoid that. I do layaways as sort of a reminder that I have a doll coming and to be patient. I’m not going to judge people on how they spend their own money and time. I just know that I would feel horribly guilty if I bought every doll I fell in love with. That would be almost as many dolls as I’ve ever seen.

3. It seems I’m similar to most people here in the sense that I wouldn’t have any more than 2 going at a time, as I know for a fact that I couldn’t afford any more than 2. I definitely do love the convenience of layaways though, especially when it allows you to take part in an event that you can’t afford to pay in full for right away. I always have enough money in my savings account too that I know if I were to lose my job (which would never happen unless I deliberately did something to lose it) I would at least be able to pay the layaway off :)

4. I've had up to three layaways at the same time. I usually have it planned though, and I always set the payment dates a week after I think I'll be able to pay which allows for being a few days late in case I'm sick and have to go to the bank first or an unexpected bill comes up or something like that. It'll be a few days late to me, but it'll still be early to them.

I guess it also matters what exactly is on layaway and how much the total is. A bigger doll is generally going to cost more and the payments will be larger than a smaller doll or just accessories. I know that when I have more expensive dolls on layaway, I have little left for other things, and definitely not enough to run a second layaway alongside it, but if I'm buying just a couple of heads from one company, a small doll from another, and a bunch of accessories from somewhere else, I absolutely layer those layaways up.

5. I never do layaways, let alone multiple. I do not spend money I don't (yet) have. I think they're a great option to have though and maybe if that one limited must-have comes along someday that I will seriously consider putting it on layaway.

I'm always scared for incoming bills and that they might end up being higher than I anticipated getting me in trouble with either my bills or my layaway. It doesn't help that I have a terrible health and medical bills keep piling up and more keep springing out of thin air.

I believe there's nothing wrong with having multiple layaways as long as you can manage them. I'm not sure how people do it though, it's admirable to be so good with math and predictions. The last time someone I knew tried to run multiple layaways they had to sell off some of their collection to pay the layaways due to unforeseen circumstances.

TLDR: I'm a scaredy cat in regards to layaways. I don't want to get into trouble or cause the other party discomfort.

6. I only do layaways to not smash too much on my credit card all at once.

I feel like I might accidentally forget something if I do multiple layaways at once. Never really had the temptation either. I don't think I would do multiple layaways unless two LE dolls came out around the same time that I really wanted.

7. I've never done a layaway in my life, for dolls or anything else. If I don't have the money to pay in full, I can't risk having to pay a monthly fee because my available income may be very different from one month to the other.
      Only once there was a limited doll that I really wanted but hadn't the total amount ready and I was lucky enough my sister gave me the money I needed for it (I gave it back to her as soon as I was able to).
      It's only a matter of money and it's very personal, but I would be very careful not to bite off more than you can chew.

8. I don't think I could do more then 1 layaway! Because I fear to much of something going wrong, I normally stick with one if I'm doing a Layaway even if I have enough for more! So I give kudos to people who care organize more then one and keep up with them all!!

9. I do not like owing anything to people. I do not like and avoid doing layaways generally. I had to do a layaway once with a private seller for my lovely Fairyland Rus. I paid in half of the agreed time. So not even a single layaway for me. That is how I did not get two of my favourite fullsets. I ended up making my ownm nterpretations of these and I like them much better this way. So there can also be a chance in waiting.

10. I prefer to PIF if possible... But sometimes there are multiple dolls that I want that happen to come on the market all at the same time. That is the only time I do multiple layaways...

11. I don't use layaways myself, but for those that do, I advise caution. I'm not sure what Paypal's current US user agreement has to say on the subject of layaways, but I know that at one time there was no buyer protection for them at all, and there has never been any buyer protection for any payment that is sent "friends and family."

12. I save my money until I can outright purchase the doll, the thought of owing money gives me shivers!

13. For me, I personally like paying in full. Either way you do it, its your money and its your dolls! :)

14. I can't even really say that it depends mostly on your financial situation; life is unpredictable and circumstances can change very quickly. Rather, I think it depends more on your comfort with having multiple layaways going simultaneously and your ability to calculate and take risks. To some, the risk of missing a limited doll outweighs the risk of something going wrong with the layaway. Perhaps the likelihood of a missed payment is really small, and they have the experience behind them to make that choice confidently, or a plan B in place in case something does go wrong. And to others (and I include myself in this group), it's just totally nerve-wracking knowing that money is tied up in something that isn't even in one's possession yet. I do use layaways myself sparingly, and even though I have a very solid work history and emergency funds in reserve, I'm really too anxious of a person to indulge in more than one at a time. Kudos to those who can do it, though!

15. See I don't think I could do multiple layaways between secondhand sellers, but if it was with one or two companies maybe? I feel like it'd get a little out of hand or rude w/ sellers having more than 2 going. However with a bigger distributor that's really understanding like BJDivas or something I think I'd be confident having more than one layaway order even though I try to avoid layaways. I'd rather pay up front, but the few layaways I have through companies were for events or mass discontinuations I couldn't really wait to save up and get. Secondhand shopping I generally try to avoid layaways over like, 2 months. Also having a bunch of layaways going at once there's always a chance of miscalculating and not having enough for all of them.

16. I think it's fine if you're good at managing your finances but I'd personally find it too stressful lol :sweat

17. I made the mistake of having 4 layaways open at once. Don't do it. Lol. I haven't missed any payments or anything, but having a million reminders and alarms on my phone to help me remember to pay them is incredibly stressful to me. After I finally pay these all, I'm definitely not going to do this many ever again!

18. I actually always buy my dolls via layaway, since I have a lot of anxiety in regards to spending money, so I feel better when I pay in installments rather than all at once. But I also only have one layaway at a time, because I can justify one to myself but not multiple. That said, that's strictly a policy I only have for myself--I agree with everyone else saying that as long as you can afford it, do what works for you in terms of layaways.

19. Frankly, I have built my entire collection using layaway. Fortunately I currently have a very stable income, and I set up any payments well ahead of when I’ll have the money so I can be sure it’s available in plenty of time. Like most people, I certainly prefer to do one layaway at a time for obvious reasons...but I’ll stretch it to include a special limited (I’m looking at you, Luts, with your infamous Winter Events!):doh I make sure my payments fall within my budget, and I schedule all layaway payments for the same day so I can’t possibly make a mistake and forget one. To me, they become a bill that I just automatically pay along with all my other bills. That’s how I make it work for me.:)

20. I've got a tiny income, so this is what I lean towards as well. The only time I've resorted to a layaway was when my grail doll popped up on the marketplace after 13 years and I didn't have the funds to pay in full. That layaway-period stressed me out the entire time.

I like to know how much money comes in each month and exactly how much goes out. The main reason I'm able to live comfortably is because of this strict regime where I know where every cent went. The more things you put on layaway, the harder it becomes to keep tabs on your spendings and the easier you'll get into serious trouble, so I'd always advice against it. Sure, it might mean that you'll have to wait a while before you're ready to buy something, and it might mean having to let go of something as well. But no purchase is worth money problems.