1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Your partner and your BJD...

Feb 27, 2011

1. My husband is really supportive of my new hobby. He doesn't mind if I spend money on a doll as long as I'm going to be active with it. As long as it makes me happy, he's happy. He's not into dolls & doesn't have many hobbies, so I guess he's happy that I have so many different things I like.

2. My boyfriend doesn't mind my dolls at all. He doesn't really interact with them at all - unless I need a hand with getting a head back on a body or something - but he listens to my doll talk and tries to remember which companies I like and doesn't tell me to stop wasting my money. He is Japanese so I never have to hear about how most boy dolls I show him look too girly or anything, which is nice, because it seems like a lot of boyfriends/friends here have those comments a lot. He gets what that whole appeal is about. I like that I can talk to him about these things and he can appreciate what they mean to me but he isn't really interested in them himself - which is probably for the best, as he is the frugal one of us.

Also, dolls for an engagement present instead of a ring! Wow, that gives me an idea..........:mwahaha

3. I'm very fortunate to have someone who accepts everything about me. He always says, "Everyone needs a hobby!" Also, he's so into it, that he goes around making them talk and posing them! Before I knew he did that, I'd come home and go, "Wait a minute...that doll wasn't sitting there like that when I left..." :)

4. my husband basically HATES my dolls and thinks they're stupid. he isn't trying to be mean, but he just.does.not.get.it [i also have a HUGE collection of porcelain dolls that he's not fond of, he thinks they clutter the house lol] and thats ok. he doesnt forbid me to get dolls or accessories. if i have extra money left over after bills, he doesnt care what i buy with it. and [progress!!!] i was showing him the other day some face ups a girl [who is currently working on one of my heads] has done and he actually LIKED one of the face ups! he can hate my hobby as long as he understands that i still love it and want to continue with it [and he does]

he pretends to be interested when i talk about it as best he can and let me talk and tries to add something back into the converstaion

he spends money on things that i don't alwase understand, and as long as we pay our bills, thats okay. we dont have to love everything each other does XD

5. Mr. IndigoFrogs.. Really, really, really dislikes BJDs. He sees it as a "fruitless" hobby that" sucks up money" because it's so expensive and all-encompassing as far as buying everything that goes with them, in addition to the yellowing issue. When he found out that theyre made of resin and will yellow and depreciate over time, i think that's where his one-time passing interest really ended. Though I do understand where he's coming from in that respect, because his collections are things that gain value over time. That being said, he's never really mean about my dolls because he's glad I at least have a hobby, and he paid for a third of my first doll.
      All of my other doll purchases, well..he doesn't get to see price tags and everything's a-ok!

6. My husband is a sweetheart, supportive of all of my hobbies and interests. He doesn't think my dolls are creepy or weird. He's willing to help me if I need it--hold something in place while I fiddle with another part, tote things to a meetup, or brush out a wig--even though he is not interested in ball-jointed dolls himself. He calls them "the girls" and even has a soft spot for one in particular. I try to be equally supportive towards his hobbies. ♥

7. Fortunately, I'm rather blessed with a partner who is also into BJDs. We're currently creating our respective (often paired) characters.

8. Well, I am very lucky. My fiancée and I are so similar and have the same interests that we rarely are at odds about anything. We had both always wanted to get a BJD and looked at them longingly for years. When I suggested we finally take the plunge a few weeks ago, she was as eager as I am.

Since then we have ordered six dolls (3 each), and have been chatting endlessly about their stories, personalities, looks, etc. Not to mention the shopping for them that we do together.

We are both artists, and I am a sculptor. We plan to try our hand at faceups, making doll clothes, and even making our own dolls in the coming months. It's nice to have your bestest friend as your partner. :)

9. At first, my husband was like: "Eh. Your hobby. Your money. Have fun."

But over the course of the past month or so, he's really warmed up to the whole "doll thing". In fact, he's started planning out props and stuff he wants to make for my doll. He also willingly went fabric shopping with us and making all sorts of suggestions.

10. My fiance didn't approve of me having a boy doll at first, but he didn't mind if a buy a girl. So then, I bought a girl but I think he felt for my Eriadne because she's lonely. XD I also said that if I buy a boy doll, he would look like him. He agreed (because of both ideas). HAHA! XD

He is very supportive to all my hobbies and interests and I to him also. ^^ He wanted to help me do face-ups (because he is a good artist) but we didn't have a chance to do so. :(

11. I feel like I said this already somewhere...

When I first got into the hobby I had a girlfriend about that time. She absolutely hated my dolls. She would make fun of the one that I had, poke the kid, toss it around carelessly, and poke fun at me with various insults and calling me some pretty hurtful things. Her disrespect of my interest/hobby is what broke us up, but it really was for the better :sweat

In a future relationship... especially if that relationship goes so far as to be my wife, I think it'd be awesome if my future partner was into it as well. Each of my dolls is an embodiment of part of my personality, and showing interest in the individuality of the ones I have would result in learning more about me, and then I could have a good second opinion on photography set-ups. Who would want a partner that was unsupportive?

12. Mr. renee_chan is fully supportive of my hobby; in fact he's even bought me a couple of dolls and doll outfits as gifts! He finds the dolls themselves slightly creepy but in a good way. He knows how much I spend on the hobby and does not care as long as the bills get paid.

13. My girlfriend respects that i like the hoby, but has an odd phobia dolls, so out of respect to her i have to keep him hidden alot.

14. My boyfriend really likes my dolls. He's purchased two of them for me and gives me money to buy them things every once in a while. He remembers stuff I tell him about dolls like crazy.

He has started conversations with me about things that normal folks outside of the hobby wouldn't know about, like yellowing for example. I was looking at heads and he commented that one looked like it would be hard to match because of the yellowing. I found that so very funny.

Sometimes when I'm 'playing' with my dolls he'll walk up to them and 'talk' to them, asking them how they're doing or whatever. He pats them on the head. The other day he took my JID downstairs to 'work out with him' because the doll is so muscular.. I think he just thinks they're kinda fun to have around. I'm so happy he thinks they're cool.

15. The mister and I haven't been together as long as some of the people in here (only 5 months for us), but he is very supportive! He lets me rant about doll stuff and show him pictures and I think he is excited because the next doll I want to get is one of his characters.

16. I think for my boyfriend of two years, it's a mixture of tolerate and accepting of my doll hobby. I know he's accepting because he pratically bought me my first bjd, Toki- yet he would prefer my dollie friends stay far, far, far, far, far, faaaaaaaaaaaaaar away from his presence/eyesight XD If he wasn't tolerating/accepting of my obsession of dolls... I would probably whine until he did :D because I'm awesome like that, lol.

17. As long as I'm not bombarding him with dollie stuff, and I'm not currently spending money on it (little rough financially right now), he's alright with it. He thinks them in themselves are creeptastic, but he knows I like them so he doesn't rag on me about it at all.

18. I probable will never have a partner ( I am Asexual) but if I ever did have one I hope they would be intrested in the hobby or at least supportive

19. My husband is wonderful. I was in love with the dolls, but he was the one who inspired me to take the plunge and buy my first doll. She happens to be his favorite. He doesn't have any dolls of his own, but he's fond of a few of mine. He encourages my creativity, but keeps me from going overboard when I get too excited too.

20. My boyfriend accepts the girls dolls, and he tolerates the boy dolls. He's just glad that I've found a hobby that I enjoy and allows me a chance to be creative.