1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Your true reason for having a doll?

Aug 16, 2008

1. I don't write like many people who collect, but I love art. I love them for their beauty and aesthetic and I love the option of customization. It's basically a new art medium for me to explore and create with.

2. I'd say mainly because they're such cool customizable pieces of art! I do like that I can she'll my own personal characters with them, but I appreciate them as art pieces. And I tooooootally flaunt them as such. :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

3. I really just love dolls.

4. Same than gracebjd: I just love dolls! They are so beautiful ^^

5. I thought they were beautiful and wanted to have some.

6. First off, I've always loved dolls, but as much as I loved them, and still do, I was always frustrated by their lack of mobility and ability to express. Many dolls are only jointed at the neck, shoulders and hips, while others have only limited articulation at best.

So, I've always been especially fascinated and attracted to highly articulated dolls, and other figures which could pose and move, like those wooden artist's models, and marionettes. Not only are they capable of fluid motion, but through their range of motion they can express different emotions.

I suppose you could say that all my life, I've been searching for that perfect articulated doll, so when I found BJDs, I knew my search was over.

7. For me, it was simply the diversity and creativity. Since I was a kid, I'd created characters, but been frustrated with the lack of male dolls and diversity in female options. I used to repaint Barbies and Bratz before I knew that was a thing people really did (fwiw, they were not pretty...haha). For teenage boys and hair styles besides plastic Ken doll styles, I started sewing cloth dolls and painting the hair and face with fabric paints. I used to ask my mom and sister "What if there was a doll company where you could pick a face, and body and hair and eye color and outfit and they'd put it together and you could name it?" and we just assumed it would never happen because it would never be profittable with all the options I wanted. The closest I'd seen until I found BJD was American Girl's Girl of Today, which still had the same body types, and only offered three (very similar) face sculpts. Discovering BJDs opened up a world that until then seemed it could only be a dream! It's probably a good thing I didn't find them until my college years. I would have been heartbroken finding them as a kid/teen because there is absolutely no way my parents would have bought one for me. I was lucky to get the three American Girls I did own, since $89 was "crazy" for a doll. :sweat

8. I do not have any BJDs of my own yet, but I want them because it is a sense of companionship. I love creating characters and starting with a blank slate and creating whatever I'd like. Something about it is so magical!

9. Well, at first, I just wanted to satisfy my curiosity in BJDs. I just wanted to feel, what resin is like. SO I decided to order a doll from Resinsoul since I was thinking I could just sell the doll if I got bored with it.

10. The truest reason has to be: it's because they're really beautiful and they've captivated me. The first time I saw these dolls (in person and online), I couldn't believe how delicate and gorgeous they look. It was love at first sight (melodramatic, yes, but that's main reason I got into the hobby).

11. Sewing. I enjoy studying clothes, their history and styles, and I like miniature things too - so sewing costumes for dolls lets me enjoy two hobbies at once!

12. My true reason... I guess, to be honest, I found in BJDs a way to detox from my previous hobby. I had become quite addicted and couldn't see an end, I even had anxiety about it and even depression periods.
      Fortunately, BJDs appeared in my life and I found in them another source of interest. I love BJDs of course, but I'm not as obsessed with them as with my previous hobby. I always have fun with them, creating and completing them, and they even help me in my most stressed periods in the university.

13. Just because they are pretty. And I'm an acquirer.

14. over 50 years ago, my first 'pets' were dolls (poor mistreated things LOL - but I loved them to death!) And now that's what they are for me too - like a companion animal, but less mess, less worry and less work ^_^ I have tried to tell myself they're just inanimate objects, but I simply find it impossible to believe that! I guess all that early conditioning convinced me for life - dolls are really alive! ^_^ Which is probably why I don't go for scary/creepy dolls....

15. Simply because they are beautiful. Beauty around us ennobles us.

16. My true reason is that I love dolls. I've always loved dolls and I really love the idea of being able to customize a doll to my own design.

17. I've always been the kind of person who collects things. I've had many different types of collections and hobbies in my life. But several years ago I lost everything. Starting over with nothing I felt sad. When I was able to afford to start a new collection, I was introduced to BJDs by a friend on a gaming forum, and I was fascinated. After more than a year of procrastinating I finally got my first doll.

I've collected other dolls in the past, and what I love about BJDs is the creativity and individuality that can be achieved. Two people can own the same doll and it will be totally different because of the endless possibilities of customization and creativity. I love it. I sew clothes for them, and will soon start making furniture and box rooms for them. I'm having so much fun with it, especially since my best friend also started collecting. We get together and talk about dolls for hours.