1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Your true reason for having a doll?

Aug 16, 2008

1. I'm lonely. My friends don't live near me so the dolls kinda keep me company.
      And also bjd's are a way for me to unleash my creative side. One of my main reasons for buying me first was because I wanted to sew doll clothes! XD

2. This hobby is the perfect conjunction of my passions—miniatures, collecting, art, toys, self-expression, alternate realities.

I also have this weird affinity for portability—I love tiny, versatile, delightful things that pack maximum fun or utility into minimum space. Usually they’re practical things, like my pocket computer or my swiss army knife. But since childhood I’ve also had that strong urge to carry a tiny love object—and its tiny accessories—with me, and to have friends who shared that desire.

Sadly I never found like-minded companions. I knew kids who played with dolls, but mostly they messed with their hair and made them have shrill little conversations, then left them lying around naked for their mothers to clean up or their dogs to chew on. I treated mine tenderly, smoothed their hair, hung up their little clothes, tucked them into bed, made little worlds for them, and felt like a bit of a freak.

Eventually I had my real children, and carried their little accessories around in a diaper bag and hung out with the other mommies who were doing the same, and the childhood urge subsided. But now my children are nearly grown-ups, and it turns out that those childhood urges weren’t dead, just dormant. So BJDs are perfect for me—they satisfy those old longings, and bring with them a community of people who get it, and who, I’m pretty sure, don’t leave their dolls lying around for their mothers to clean up or their dogs to chew on!

3. First of all, their beauty attract me, and after that , I think it's really nice to have him/her beside me when I want to be left alone. they are unique, not like pets (We have 2 dogs at home), I really enjoy them as companion.

4. I have the most adorable 5 year old niece that I only get to see at special family events and each time I get this paternal pull that makes me look at my wife with a yearning she can instantly read. We're waiting on children till we're more financially stable...

Till then I'll dote upon a resin doll... and send my niece boxes of Pokemon Trading Cards. 8)

~john out

5. I want a doll because of their looks :3 When I first saw a picture of a BJD, I instantly fell in love and searched for it everywhere! :lol: After doing alot of research, I learn about how some people make their own clothes for their dolls. I'm an aspiring designer. That is another reason why I like to have a doll. She could be a model for the gowns I always doodle on my sketchbook! xD

6. This is such an interesting question as there are many different and varied answers.My reason for loving and wanting dolls i guess is because my kids are grown and i miss them being cute and young, i love child dolls, i love to dress them and brush their hair, put little bows in, all the things i can no longer do, don't think my 25 year old would appreciate it now lol!I am strating a collection of tinies, i adore them, sweet little faces, chubby little bodies and so very babyish, just love them!.

7. There are many reasons I wanted a doll, she's a source of inspiration I love to draw but have had an art block for a long time now. She's a friend, costomisible she can look and be anything i want her to be. She's even got me into sewing, and I've found I'm really enjoying it and I'm not too bad at it.

So there are many reasons why I got my doll, they are beautiful and so serene. So you could say they've captured my heart.

8. This is sort of an odd question for me to answer because when I decided I wanted a doll it was more like:
      See doll. WANTWANTWANT.
      There wasn't a lot of thought involved.

Mostly, I want one because I am totally and completely fascinated by them.

9. As an aspiring artist/author, I feel the need to bring my children from the page to life. That, and it's starting to get tiresome acting out scenes with the couch as a troll and the rocking chair as the other person. . .hehehe.

I figure if I have them in front of me, solid, I'll be able to work through problematic scenes more easily. That and they're amazingly pretty, fun to photograph, pose well for drawing and my roommate likes to design costumes and has promised a stream of them for my dollies!

She also said she'd buy groceries so long as I did the face-ups for her dolls. :lol:

10. The main reason I want a doll is, because they are sooooo beautiful!! For me it's like a character of my manga books comes to life (it's not that I choose my doll from an existing manga character, but most of them have this special look - bishounen style).

11. It depends on what one considers a "true reason".

As some others have said, the reason I originally got a doll was quite simple - they were beautiful, stunning, gorgeous, and I had to have one. Honestly, they could have been delicate statues with no moveable limbs, and absolutely no way to customize them, and I suspect I still would have gotten one or more eventually.

However, what has kept me in the hobby (my "true reason for having a doll", I suppose) is the customization and character creation aspects. Two of my long-time hobbies are writing and drawing, and I am able to combine both in these dolls. I can think and write up their stories, I can do their face-ups, and I can put them in the perfect clothing, wig, and eyes. The fact that I get to dabble in other hobbies - sewing and photography most prominently - is also a major draw.

12. I'm primarily a writer, but I want to be a better visual artist. I want dolls as a creative expression, which is why I want to do all the face-ups and design the clothes for my sister to sew for them. Then I have perfect models for my drawings and paintings! Fully customizable and pose-able. I love it. ^^

13. a way to live through them. to be able to live my artistic abilities with them. its basically a form of comfort and happiness.

14. Hmmm.... because I like beautiful things?:sweat

But really, because I like to invent personality for her/him, like to make stories, like to dress up, like to customize.... etc.

It's basically all kind of activity doll offers reason I got so smitten by them.:fangirl:

15. They're pretty and I like to look at them.
      Smaller, less-to-the-point reasons? Nice to have a visual for writing. I can't really draw my characters the way I'd like, so a doll is the next best thing. It's another way to get the creative juices flowing, learn photography and be frustrated at the sewing machine. I see clothes in a different light. I see sculpture and art in a better way, too.
      But most they're pretty and I like to look at them. *o*

16. They are wonderful sculpts which I use as models for my paintings.

17. I suppose for me it's because as I get a doll and bond with it their personality seems to "come alive" and I use that for inspiration for writing stories and taking pictures as I don't have must artistic outlet besides that since I can't draw worth crap.

18. Well, what initially drew me to these dolls was their beauty. However, after a while I began to think of how a doll would make a nice companion. My boy is my companion. I have friends, and I'm very close to my family, but I still get lonely sometimes. Friends can't always be there, and sometimes family doesn't feel like quite enough. Aside from this, dolls really are a creative outlet as well. I like practicing sewing by making my boy outfits, it's actually really calming ^.^ And sometimes I see him and just feel like drawing. He's quite an inspiration >w<

19. At first, I didn't know why the heck i wanted a BJD so much since I was so paranoid of dolls back then. Now, after falling in love with most dolls (thanks to BJDs), it's because they're so customizable! You can truly and easily make a doll that's one of a kind.. as long as you're willing to pay the big bucks of course, haha. Another reason is because I feel like every time I get a new doll, a small part of me is projected into a form and I feel better when I see them sitting there with their smiles. (If that makes sense)

20. aww.. I understand <3 :aheartbea