1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Your very favourite doll... belongs to someone else.

Jul 23, 2010

1. There are definitely other people's dolls that I like a lot, and a few I would possibly would try to buy IF the owners were rehoming them. And I feel familiar with friend's dolls, like I want to fuss with them for a minute at a meet and say hi. But I don't feel jealous or stressed about it--I like my dolls and I'm happy with them.

2. It may happen that other collectors have dolls I absolutely admire. Beginning with the sculpt, then the face-up, eyes and wig up to the outfit.

But then I can always do something similar. Where is the problem?

And no, I do not compare this to my real child. This is, God beware, not customizable. She is the way she is. Zero. The only thing I can try is to tell her what I would like her doing and what not. But this is something different, it's education. And this is for humans only.

3. In most cases, I can't imagine loving any doll as much as I love my own dolls - especially my particular favorites. My Volks Cristal is to me the absolutely perfect doll (favorite headmold, now on a sexy SD16 body AND has a faceup by her designer!) and I can't imagine falling for a doll in the way I have for her more than once.

But one time, back before Cristal even existed, I fell in love with a Kun one-off from a long-passed Volks tea party. I thought Kun was a derpy-looking head until I saw that gorgeous repaint. And even though I bought my own standard Kun a few months later and loved her to pieces, there was always a part of my mind that couldn't get over the fact that MY Kun was not THE Kun. Fast forward to a few years later, when I found a rather familiar-looking Kun head for sale and excitedly purchased it! A few weeks later, despairing of ever finding a correctly-matching body for her slightly yellowed white skin, I found the exact body the head was originally paired with for sale. I couldn't believe my luck!

Moral of the story? It's not bad to fall in love with someone else's doll. It may be extremely unlikely and it may take 4 years, but it is possible that your dream doll will come home one day! :D

4. YEP! Sure has happened to me, my friend got a DZ Mo back in August when we were newbs and just starting our collections and I have adored Tony ever since, he's so cool and devious. I bought my own DZ Mo, and as much as I love him, her Mo is still, for me, the coolest!

5. If I like someone else's doll a lot it's probably because the doll is styled in a way I would not style my dolls or think of styling my dolls. I would be more in love with someone's style and I cannot buy or own someone else's style. ;)

6. There are definitely a few dolls out there that I would love to own. Not over my own, but specific dolls I have falled in love with. For example, there was a Soom Gena on the MP for freakin' ever and I saved and saved and saaaaaved for her, then just as I scratched together enough dough I posted only to find she'd been sold... like a few days beforehand :...( And somehow no other Gena seems the same :( That's happened quite a few times to me actually, but also luckily I've had a couple of occasions where I've been able to bring home a doll I really love! Like my AS Cain - he used to belong to a very good friend of mine and I fell madly in love with him almost instantly. No other Cain could quite do him justice, he was just perfect. Luckily for me a couple of years on my friend decided to sell him and now I get to keep him forevers, woo! :D

So sometimes it's worth just loving and hoping and not trying to recreate that love you find in a specific mould. I won't settle for a different doll any more, because when I've done that I've just regretted it. Sometimes it's not the mould, it's the doll - for me anyway.

I wouldn't say I ever fell in love with a doll I loved more than my own, in fact I would categorically say that I haven't. But there are definitely occasions where I fall in love with a doll that I want to add to my collection :XD:

For now, I'll just haunt the MP hoping the buyer of the Gena didn't change her too much and eventually decides to sell her :lol:

7. If a doll is simply pretty I loose interest soon. It is the combination of sculpt and character that attracts me.

There certainly are some dolls that I swoon over when I see them such as MadamMauMau's Demian. But the reason I like him is because of what she has done with that particular sculpt and the way she photographs him and describes his character.

So even if she would sell him and he would end up at my place he would not be Demian any more.
      I like looking at and reading about that doll/character because of her.
      If I bought a Saint of my own he would most likely shell one of my own attention hogging characters named Susumu.

What I am saying is that no, I could never love someone else's doll more than my own. I love mine mostly because of the character they represent.
      I might admire other dolls but that mostly has got to do with the way the owners present them and that goes away the minute the dolls leave their gifted hands.

8. I can understand this completely!

I do have favourites out of other peoples doll but I think that is because of how long it took me to buy my own I spent 2-3 years just looking at other peoples. My first encouter with dolls would be Hiritai, her dA. And wow. She left a marking impression on me; her dolls are just so lovely and I would love to own them. But I don't think I will even buy the same mould. I don't mind, I can't afford every mould and there is so many out there that I like to see and who are my favourites that aren't even mine but it makes me so happy if now on my dA all the doll-owners posting their pictures and I know their characters just, as knowing as an outsider could be..... But I like that aspect of this hobby! -ends waffles-

Nathanial is much more than just a doll to me, just a line of speech in a story so my own dolls don't even get classified as dolls to me ;D they are beautiful and perfect even if their face-up is stratched and their wig on wonky.

But favourites in other dolls is something I like about this hobby is what I think I am trying to say ! ;)

9. I have a elfdoll lydia but recently get a another doll oasis doll yaouye, i try to not have a favorite doll, but some times I spend more time with one or another, mopre with yaoyue is very difficult "play with two" and put attention on two, but I try to make them my favorites ! n_n

10. I can't imagine this ever happening to me. There are some dolls out there that are simply splendid. As some others have mentioned I stalk a certain pink Poodle and drool over him. I adore Mr. Have and Clean Slate and follow their story and pictures. I will admit I have a soft spot for a doll that belongs to a friend of mine. I joke that he is like NiNi's little brother (though in their stories they are actually the same age). They look so similar and are so cute together. I doll sat for her dolls for quite some time. I do sometimes buy little gifts for her dolls. I also have a fondness for one of my husband's dolls. I did his face up and frequently take pictures of him and dress him. However my dolls are more than just a collection for me, they are shells for my beloved characters. I know everything about them. They mean a great deal to me. I would have a hard time choosing a favorite among my own dolls. It changes depending on which story I am working on.

11. In a way, I've been in that situation except I still love my doll's very much. I just really like her doll a lot and if she ever did decide to sell him, I'd buy him. But I'm pretty happy with just spoiling him with attention when I do see him. And I love my BJDs so much more because they are my own. x3

12. I've certainly admired other people's styling of their dolls and the photos they take, but in the end, I own my favorite dolls and I don't see myself falling for someone else's doll over my own.

13. I adore my dolls completely, and have brought together a wonderful, quirky little band of neighborhood misfits that I'm completely happy with.:)

That being said however, I have always felt the strongest case of uncontrollable grabby hands for JinCIncy's stunning hunk, her Iplehouse EID Kamal. Everytime I see him I go positively weak in the knees...that is one gorgeous chunk o' tan resin!;)