1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

your wishlist then vs. your collection now - how has it changed?

Aug 1, 2017

1. My character list has expanded & the characters have become more 'fleshed out' so to speak, but that's all that's different. Same concept, same core group of characters.
      The dolls? I originally, when I started, had some Dolfie Dreams on that list. I figured out very quickly (first doll meet where I SAW one) that they would look totally out of place. Also, some of the dolls on the list were discontinued, some were replaced by sculpts (either new or ones I hadn't seen previously) that I thought fit the character better. The additions to the character list came about whenever I found a new or previously unknown to me sculpt that I loved LOL Also sometimes I'd see a doll on the MP that would work just as well as another sculpt I had on my list (only cheaper, w/FU, shipping NOW :d) so I'd get that doll instead of the new one on the list.

2. When I first started getting into BJDs I remember liking tinies/yo-sd sized dolls. But honestly, looking back, it may have only been appealing due to the fact that they were less expensive and being a 14 year old with no income...it had a better chance of happening than some $600 dolls, hahaha. There's ONE msd I'm still pretty into but sadly the store seems to make their doll sales seasonal now or something. I also think my taste in dolls is more unique compared to what I liked years ago. I currently have an elf, a super skinny boy, and a girl with huge hips. XD

3. Funnily enough, it hasn't changed at all. I'm still hunting those old-school sculpts that I loved when I started, some twelve years ago. Two times, I did try one of the more modern sculpts (I had a IH Kamau for a time), but they are just not for me. I just love the old-school look.

4. When I first got into BJDs I liked large dolls, the bigger the better! But nowadays I like the YO-SD size best.

5. When I first started to search the hobby few years ago I didn't like VOLKS at all, but recently just started getting into them a lot

6. When I started back in 2004 there were many fewer options than now. I've always liked Volks and now I have more than a few. I discovered fairly quickly that I didn't care for 1/4 scale so I sold my MSD sized dolls and swore I'd never get another.

That changed when Unoas became more affordable. I now have a Sist, Lusis, Zest and a Bimong Meronica in the same scale.

I've also added some more realistic sculpts like Iple EID to my family. I have 3.

7. definetely changed ^^ but I can put more restraint because of my budget (lol)
      but usually I changed because seeing new dolls or someone selling his/her limited edition cutie sculpt :')

8. I've definitely changed over the years. I got my first BJD in 2013, both from Luts. I've definitely changed in terms of what aesthetic I prefer. I'm going to be selling all my resins soon because I'm just not attracted to them anymore. I prefer Dollfie Dreams and Smart Dolls now.

9. When I first joined this hobby, I thought MSDs were the size for me! I didn't want ANY yo-SDs, no-siree! And I didn't want anything bigger than 60cm either. Too big! Nope, no can do!

My collection is now evenly split between YoSDs and 70cm dolls, with nary an MSD in sight.

10. Well... first of all, I'm expeting my 29th and 30th doll right now... and thinking of coming back to my very first OC with helpf of another sculpt... so it's been a long way and I'm coming back to my roots xD

1.From less expensive (Resinsoul, Doll leaves) to more expensive and Korean (Soom, IOS, Crobi, Migi) to just any... Now I have anything from Akagi to Volks.

2.From SDs to MSDs to YoSDs to MSDs to SDs being my fav... I started big, went into tiny, fell ouf of love and came back to loving the BIG dolls <3 sd17 is the thing ;)

3.From boys-only to girls only to, now, girls mostly but some boys too <3

4.From gothy into light& cute to gothy again.

I guess the dolls reflect my personal struggle to find my own identity (artistic, sexual etc). IThey travel with me in this stylistic way... And I like it. I don't always like the things I did in the past just as the money I spent on some dolls I later disliked, but I also look back and see how far I went and I love it ;)

11. I liked sad dolls like Dollstown's Seola in the age 7 size. Vampires and Gothy dolls too. As time went on I ended up going for the older girls. Still love a pensive looking doll.

12. My wish list then (2008) and now is not different. I got what I wanted. Isao & Reisner were my first love. The other dolls are the "in between dolls". I am happy with F38 Christian, a Sato FCS. Can't complain about SD16 Yukinojou (Joe). Ryoma Sakamoto needs a new faceup, otherwise, he's perfect. Olivia Morgan is Yukinojou's choice, I've got to love her like Joe, Olivia and SD16 Yukinojou have similar sculpts, they look like a couple together. The 2 small dolls Yo-Midi Reisner and Y0-SD Isao are smaller versions of the 2 big boys.

In between, I sold Howl from Luts and Sphaler from Soom. I miss them, especially Sphaler but his Soom white skin could not blend in with the rest of my doll family in normal skin.

13. My doll preferences have widened moreso than changed. I started out liking cute/pretty/handsome sculpts and an anime aesthetic. I still like these features a lot, but now I particularly appreciate older-looking sculpts and the sort of faces that one wouldn't necessarily expect to see in doll form. :)

14. You gave me such a shriek of laughter, it startled my cat! :kitty1 I was exactly the same as a newbie - same year as you too! Yeah - every single doll! :3nodding:

Seven years on I'm only interested in dolls from two manufacturers. I have a bunch to sell. I've figured out what I really love and my wishlist is now only two or three more. Wish I'd known back then how my tastes would change!

15. When I first began (well over a decade ago) my intention was to create an "urban fairytale" as a way of expressing my own life experiences in a creative, fantasy-based way. I've never strayed from that initial goal which is why I've pretty much stuck to my wishlist of basic characters, displays and core companies. The slightly anime styles of Luts and Volks have continued of course, but I became enamored with new companies that popped up along the way too (like Doll Chateau.) My world was always designed to be very Tim Burton-esque in its eclecticism anyway, so it was very easy to incorporate the new and odd into my original aesthetic as my story grew. Not that there wasn't the occasional miss step along the way of course, with size issues and a bit of reshelling as better representations came along with time. And natually the numbers grew well beyond what I initially thought they would. But looking back on it all, I think the "old beginner me" would look at my collection now and give it a big thumbs up.;)

#35 PoeticSoul, Oct 20, 2017
      Last edited: Oct 20, 2017
    16. I've had quite a lot of changes, starting with moving from 1/3s to 1/4s. When I first got in to the hobby back in 2008, I was very much into anime and my tastes reflected that. I liked dolls with soft features and huge eyes. My first doll was Luts SDF Blanchet and I adored DoDs. Nowadays I prefer more realistic ones - okay, I have several minifees, but most of my crew are about as realistic as you can get in 1/4 size.

17. There are definitely some changes, I've had removed some dolls in my general wishlist that I used to adore but have since moved on from because they no longer captured me the way it once did. Mind you, these are the dolls that I'll just throw into the wishlist if I like them just a tiny bit, whether or not I will buy them LOL. I also have a priority wishlist (these are the dolls I need to have) and the dolls on that list have been on it for like forever LOL. Looking back though, I don't think there have been much change in my doll preference or taste for a certain aesthetic, I still go for the same kind of dolls as I did back then. Once I was deciding between two sculpts and a friend suggested one of the sculpt and said it was because he looks like my "kind of doll" LOL. (Apparently my boys all gave out the same vibes lmao). I didn't even realize it until she pointed it out LOL. So I guess any changes is likely due more to the "chemistry" or affection I feel for a certain sculpt than a drastic change in taste.... I guess?? :aeyepop:

18. Wishlists just never stop renewing. More and more added to wishlist.

19. At first all I wanted was one dollfie dream(which I got) but one thing led to another and I ended up with 4 bjds.

20. I'm not going to post my whole wishlist - it would take up too much space! : >
      there's surely been a huge change, and by huge I mean size. when I first started the hobby I swore to myself I would not be getting a larger doll, but like all things you say no to in this hobby, your willpower eventually breaks. I've got several sds now looking for bodies, and more that I'd like to purchase in the future. I've practically sold all the dolls that were on my original wishlist when I joined the hobby, though. I've either completely said goodbye to the character or reshelled them into something entirely different.