1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

You're not allowed that doll...

Nov 9, 2010

1. I've never really been told "No, you can't have a doll". It was frowned upon once but I worked my ass off to save up for her and now she's mine :3

2. I said this elsewhere, but I was told today that I was not allowed to buy a second doll - with my own money. They say I'm not collecting, and I'm not doing anything with her. It doesn't make any sense to me, mostly because it's my money, and not theirs anymore (it was change from gas money, mostly). I'm an adult, too. They think it's unhealthy, overall. Granted, I don't think they know that there is anyone else actually doing what I'm doing.

It makes me mad, and just makes me wonder how the heck can I do this now. I mean, I'm 2/3 saved, for the most part. How exactly can they enforce this? They go off on all the "other things" I should be saving that money for... that I should want other things (what 'things', I don't know). It makes me sick to my stomach a little, too.

3. I've never been told that I can't get another doll or can't get a certain sculpt. However my boyfriend does tell me that I shouldn't get another doll sometimes. What he means when he tells me this is "you just got a doll so I think you should wait awhile before buying another one" Generally I agree with him that I should space out purchases (as does my bank account). What he hasn't figured out yet is that from when I say I want another doll it takes me three months to decide on a sculpt, another 2-4 months to finish saving, and then another month to figure out what wigs/eyes/shoes to get so in the end its 6-8 months before I place the order. His time scale for planning purchases is a couple days at most so I can understand why he'd be concerned and assume that when I talk about buying another one that I'm planning on getting it immediately. Overall I'm not worried about it. Once he figures out that I spend alot of time planning and that despite the large price tag its a relatively small percentage of my income when its spread out over several months I'm sure he'll relax a bit.

4. Uh well...I don't know if this counts but I've been told 'No' by my friend with whom I share my BJD story with. It was more of a 'No overspending/No getting two dolls/heads at the same time'. I usually get a little mad at her, because when I am considering getting two dolls at the same time, it's usually because I really really like them and they are limited (or else they'd be moved at the end of the list), but in the end, I'm thankful that she's there to stop me uvu

5. Nope.. and I don't tell it to other people either. Too many of my friends get molds because of what I've done with them for me to be like that. I think it's flattering. I don't let people tell me what to do or not do with my dolls. They're mine and it's my money.
      I will warn my friends if they're interested in dolls they want to be in scale with their other dolls for the sake of pictures and everything. I warn them that that 50cm doll is not going to fit in with their 70cm dolls... for example... It's common sense, but sometimes you don't see it until someone tells you.

6. Actually I have a couple of people in my life tell me I am not allowed to get certain characters because they are quite evil in many senses of the word. But I feel like they often get their evil characters shelled and I don't see why I can't. But then again I am so of the mind that these two people have also told me that differing doll sculpts wouldn't fit in with my doll family and then once they've arrived and get their faces they shake their heads and say well they do work well together. I don't know. I don't like people telling me what I can and can't do especially if its not hurting anyone. I guess I finally feel like I wouldn't have gotten into hobby if I had issues with what people think of me. So that being said...I will eventually get those dolls but I probably won't tell those people that I did. Besides they aren't high on my list.

7. HAHAHAHA Thats Happened to me! I wanted a Honey Delf from Luts for my doll family. A little girl to be about 6-7 years old. Klaus totallyy freaked out. He was so creeped out by the idea of children dolls he promised to by me two pairs of shoes for my dolls if i agreed never to buy a honey delf. He also has issues with ZuZu delf. He says they're: "anamorphicc creepiness that only furrys can love"

8. I've never been forbidden to buy a doll (since I pay for them myself and live independently), but my mom has said in the past that if I buy a specific doll, she doesn't want to ever see it. Anything creepy (like some of Ringdoll fullsets) disturbs her, even though she's a big horror movie fan. Or, in some instances, she thinks the doll is just ugly and doesn't want to look at it. Since my mom doesn't live with me, it's not a problem. Actually, so far I haven't bought a doll she completely hates anyway.

If I used someone else's money to buy my dolls (which I doubt will ever happen), I'd respect their wishes and choose a different doll, though.

9. My boyfriend rather not have me buying any dolls.
      But I don't really bother him with my dolls, when he's at my place my dolls are in their boxes, where he can't see them.
      Because he's very uncomfortable being around dolls.

The only thing he would forbid me to buy is a horror-clown doll. :'D And I totally understand that, because it would freak me out too.

10. I don't have that problem of someone forbidding me certain dolls. When we have the money to buy them, we do so. My boyfriend is not really doing anything with them but he likes all the dolls I like, which is really practical. ^^

11. I've never been told I couldn't talk about or have a doll before. And I honestly don't think I would listen if someone did. It's my hobby, and if they don't like my dolls, they don't have to look at them or go near them. Just stay away from where I keep my dolls. xD

Actually on the topic of Dollmore Lusion, I showed my boyfriend one and he thought she was precious. He even picked out a few that he liked- which were all but one. Haha. XD He also made a joke about us taking her through the park in a stroller and when someone asked about her, say something like, "NO, she's sleeping. She doesn't like strangers." or something. If they looked at the doll in the carriage, I think it might take them awhile to realize she was a doll. XP He'd have fun with it though.

12. I'd like to see my boyfriend attempt to forbid me from buying a doll, because he has zero right to do so and would not be my boyfriend if he tried.

However, if he had a genuine concern about a doll that would cause him to ask me not to get it, such as he found it offensive, then I would consider not getting that doll for his sake. That a doll is child-size or like and so is a bit 'creepy' isn't really enough for me, especially if there is a room for it to go and places to store it out of his eye-sight.

13. I just ordered a Doll Chateau Alberta that my husband thinks is kind of weird looking. But I used my own money; and he will not have to see her very often because she will live with the other dolls in their cabinet upstairs. I think if he had a really reasonable objection to a doll, then I would reconsider.

14. Hm. I've never been told I can't buy a certain doll I want (and I really want a Lusion, to be honest. I think she's amazing). And, honestly, if anyone ever TRIED, they'd promptly be told where they could stuff their opinion. :P

I feel that, as long as I'm earning my money with my own two hands, nobody has the right to dictate to me how I choose to spend it. Whether it be family, friends, or significant others. They don't have to like my dolls, or support my hobby, or anything else. But they DO have to accept the fact that they can't tell me what I can or can't buy. And if they have issues with that, well, it's THEIR problem, not mine.

On the other hand, if the money I spend on the dolls isn't my own, say if I'm being supported by a boyfriend or husband, then I certainly wouldn't protest if he demanded I not buy a particular sculpt. Since it isn't my money I'm spending, I definitely wouldn't have the right to ignore his wishes.

That's how I feel, anyway.

15. I've never been told that I cannot buy a doll--or anything else for that matter. It's my munnies and I can do what I want with it xD
      My boyfriend certainly isn't into dollies, but he doesn't mind that I've got my hobbies.

16. Really? Wow. I don't have any dolls that I've wanted but couldn't have, I've just seen some dolls that were terrifying and my mom, as well as me, did not want any part of hahaha

17. i'm actually totally with your boyfriend on this XD i could never ever own one. i've owned a child sized doll before, in fact its in my attic cause goodwill wont take it XD and they scare the hell outa me, especially after living in the same house as my niece. see..... my niece would walk into my doorway in the middle of the night if i didnt find a way to keep my door from opening, if she wasnt there to steal something, she'd stand there and do her creepy demonic breathing and talking thing her mom decided was funny to teach her. yes, my 5 year old niece has mastered the art of the double voice. as far as "no you cant have one" i've been told that a couple times and then i'll go over to my boyfriends house and find one waiting for me XD with my boyfriend its usually a matter of cost or that he already bought one for me. right now we're both eyeballing the soom monthly doll the wolf knight (he wants it so bad XD but i'm the one going "unless you have the cash for it, dont look at me like that <.<; i got no money honey")

18. If my boyfriend ever told me I was not allowed to do or get something I would instantly break up with him. He knows this too. Its part of our dating contract. I already get enough of that from my family so I won't put up with that kind of behavior in my lovers.

19. I think if I had a husband/live in SO who tried to control my hobbies I'd tell him this:

"Then I guess your gonna be on the couch. :3"

Just my thought...

20. My girlfriend (who also collects BJDs) and me sometimes have a few "OMG YOU DON'T GET THAT" talks, but it's most of the time just a joke.
      I know she heavily dislikes my Blythe and loves to annoy me with that, but I told her it's none of her business and I keep them away from her all the time anyway.

WHEN one of us says "You won't get that doll" for real it's usually because one of us has to be the voice of reason.
      She wanted a Lusion too but we have absolutely no space for such a doll, not to mention the price, and she understands that.
      She also suddenly had a burst of "OMG I WANT TO ORDER A DOLL AGAIN" while she's waiting on three already, that's when I told her to take it slow and first wait till the new ones arrived and have been properly taken care of.

A while ago she wanted a doll with many, many holes and I have mild form of Trypophobia at least when it's applied to human things and supposed to look gross (like these fake photos of the open fingers....uuurughuurughgh DX) and I told her if she'd ever get such a thing I'd ask her to put it away and out of my sight and not into the room where all our dolls are, especially since it's my room to work in too.
      However, I also said she would only be allowed to have one if she's mature enough to not push it into my face all the time and making fun of my disgust, and I know she's unable to do that, so she won't be allowed to get the doll.