1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

You're not allowed that doll...

Nov 9, 2010

1. My husband has never forbidden me from buying anything. Money is the biggest factor in whether or not I can get a doll, not permission. If I save up, I can have it.

2. I moved back in with my parents for school, and ended up ordering 2 more dolls within a week of each other. I told my mom about one, and she was horrified that I would spend so much money on an inanimate object even though I could easily afford it.

I'm a bit afraid the second doll will have to hide in her box to avoid freaking her out. My mom is very insecure about money even though she is better off than she thinks, so she hates me spending so much money on dolls when she thinks I should be buying more practical things :sweat

3. Well… if it were a genuine phobia, I'd be understanding. With my domesticated male (™) it's more like: 'you're going to spend that on a DOLL? On YOUR pay grade?!' And I'm guilted into not buying it. Guilting is mean, and on me it's quite a bit more effective than saying 'you can't' :(

4. I've never been told I can't per se, but I have gotten the response of an eye roll and, "Another doll?"

Oh, please. My dolls, my money, my business.

5. Sometimes I get something like "Oh no, that doll is too big! Don't buy that!" But I have never been told that I absolutely couldn't. Everyone who knows about my collection figured that, if I have the extra money, I can buy whichever one I want. I know that if I started putting dolls before other necessities, or putting them on a credit card instead of paying out of money I already have, I would get a lot of flack with those I know (and myself, since I REALLY want to keep good credit). But other than that no one I know seems to be the type to forbid me to own a certain doll. So for now I am in the clear!

6. I actually just buy the doll xD Then random mention to people that I'm waiting for a package ^^ At the end of the day it's my money. Sometimes I get little remark for the price, but then I'm like what about your .. :)

7. my fiance dont want me to buy a male doll

8. My husband doesn't care what dolls I buy. I do care about his opinion on each of them, I don't want to buy a doll he thinks is hideous or creepy. So far he's liked everything though.

9. (so I ended up going full ramble on this reply but after reading through all of the posts I just felt that I needed to throw in my two cents too)

I've been in the same boat as the OP's boyfriend. I used to be terrified of dolls, dolls of all sorts, really. Including BJD. My girlfriend really, really wanted one while I was still in this phase and for me, it was a "no, you can't have one" situation because it wasn't a case of "please don't get one because I find it creepy", it was a case of "if you get one I am going to be physically and mentally terrified living in my own home 24/7, so no, you can't have one if you're going to live with me".
      Yes, it does sound a bit controlling but just as people have the right to spend their money how they want, I have the right to be able to live in my home without feeling scared or unsafe (and yes, the dolls can't hurt you but if you're feeling scared, chances are you don't feel very secure or safe either). Your home is supposed to be your sanctuary, where you feel most at ease and most comfortable. That is why it is home and not just your house.

Luckily over time, BJD grew on me and it was a step-by-step process before I agreed to letting her have one (I had to approve of each one she was interested in, if I liked the sculpt, it went into the "I'll be okay with that one" pile). She was very accommodating and respectful the entire time and I'm so thankful for that. Because even though they terrified me, I really did want her to have one because I knew it would make her happy. Eventually it got to the point where she got her first and I fell in love with her boy and that's how I ended up hooked into this hobby too, though I still have a "no red or pink eyes" (they still kind of freak me out) rule but I'm starting to get over that as well.

Unfortunately lots of people don't get over their phobias as easily as I got over mine, but I can understand the OP's boyfriend's problem and why he went as far as even forbidding discussion of the doll.

Since my girlfriend was into the hobby before I was, I haven't had anyone say no to a doll for me yet, though I can imagine that my mom would flip her lid if she knew I was buying them. Ahah~
      Though if someone did tell me no, I'd like to know their reasoning. If they're someone that matters to me, their opinion would definitely be taken into consideration.

10. Luckily no one has ever voiced their opinion to me anymore after they're used to my doll. When I say I want to buy a doll in 60 cm tall, they're quite shocked and asking if I do really wanted in that size. But other than that, they don't really disallowed me.
      I'm sure they will be freaked out too if I'm going to buy 80cm++ doll and yeah, the price and weigh will stop me first from buying it.
      Hopefully I will meet a person who can understand my hobby and maybe buy me some couple of doll :XD: