1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Did someone pass away in the hobby?

Feb 7, 2020

1. Makes me wonder what I'd do with mine. Hopefully find someone who wants them or at least understands them. As everyone's said, contacting them would be the best bet, but you're probably not going to know. It'd be so tempting to go after them if they seemed legit though!

2. Yes, I was planning to ask them in last year’s LA Dolpa but I had to miss it due to a family health crisis. It matters to me greatly whether they are willing to take back my dolls should I end. I won’t let someone resell them who are not familiar with the hobby. I will incinerate all resin dolls still in my possession at time of my death. But if Volks wants to take them back, I’d send them back. I hope they can be sold for charity.

3. I started another thread to ask the community about their dolls upon the unfortunate event of an owner passing. Only because this thread seem to have more concern about the provenance of some dolls currently available at an auction. Here's the link. No disrespect to you, OP. I just thought it was an interesting topic since I've had to deal with the reality of my own mortality lately.

4. REMINDER

We do not allow the discussion of recasts on Den of Angels. Please keep that in mind while talking in this thread. Other points of discussion are fine.

I will mention the Glorydoll listing. It includes the mention of Phantom Doll. Phantom Dolls are banned from the forum.

The body sold by Phantom is one of the earliest, best documented cases of recasting we have on the forum. It was a copy of HappyDoll's Ein, see the documentation here. The person behind Phantom then went on to work with Glorydoll, though it was said at the time that Phantom only did faceup work. It was later found that she was also sculpting for Glorydoll, a company now also defunct.

To me this appears to be a Glorydoll head and body, not a Phantom. But I thought I should point it out.

Come to Ask the Mods if you need confirmations.
      We cannot have people trying to suss out recasts in Discussion.

--------

When we are talking about some of these older sculpts from older defunct companies - this was mostly pre-recast days. This does look like a case of mass donation, which I have seen before and in that case it was due to a death. Quite a number of DoA members have passed away over the years. Families are not always well equipped to handle these kinds of sales, even if they know the details about the dolls. Please tread gently.

5. It was discussed in the Super Dollfie thread here, and the Japanese website is here.

6. I wasn't blaming the family for it being anything. I was only stating ALL of the possibilities. We're assuming that someone died.

Honestly once it becomes public, it's public. I'm not harassing anyone, i was just weighing in what I thought were valid theories besides the one given, which is that someone passed away. Honestly if my family donated all of my collectables to a goodwill instead of doing a tiny bit of research i'd be angry. I'd rather assume it was because someone willingly gave away their "bad" collectables or just gave it away because they didn't want the hassle of selling than the thought of someone dying.

Edited due to the mod's note.

7. @ultrapandachan I understand what you are trying to say, and how you feel. However very often during a time of grief and mourning, family members don’t act rationally. Anything can happen to our possessions. This is the very scenario I have always been trying to avoid for myself.

I am puzzled why the dolls all do not have their boxes. This collector seems to be fairly conservative based on the dolls’ faceup and outfits. There should be at least some boxes. I think we should bid on the dolls we like, “doll rescue”! They all look legitimate. Goodwill is not the best organization to conduct these auctions because they are not obliged to authenticate the artifacts. They also do not have the knowledge to do so. They are putting up the dolls for auction like they do the old vintage and antique plastic dolls.

I like the 2 Iplehouse girls. I had always wanted an Iplehouse girl but my age is catching on. I am myself worried about what would happen to my dolls when I pass, so I refrain from bidding but oh....that Jessica....:)

#27 stargazer_i, Feb 10, 2020
      Last edited: Feb 10, 2020
    8. They're beautiful dolls. Hopefully people can find their grails. I'm not super surprised to start seeing bjds donated this way.
      I remember helping my mom with both my grandparents(they were divorced) estates. We donated a lot of stuff they said was valuable because we were so exhausted. No one was helping us and we didn't have the space or emotional energy to store everything of value and do the research ourselves.
      I guess the saying goes both way. One mans treasure is another's trash.

9. I can completely understand family who just donate things in the time of passing. I just meant personally, not universally. My family knows how much my particular collection means to me and they know who to give it to help sell it.

universally isn't fair.

10. I can't speak for this case, obviously, but this has happened before. Some dolls I recognised as being from someone on here turned up in a donation sale on ebay many years ago and I had a gentle chat with the seller, enquiring after the old owner. They had been turned in because the previous owners had just had enough of the hobby and given up trying to sell them because they were dealing with some life issues. I was able to prove legitimacy for the sellers in the end, because I knew the provenance of the dolls, which did help the sale and the money went to charity. All around, it was a very sad event and I never could track down the old owners to see if they were ok.

Ultimately, it taught me to be very open with my family about where I wanted everything to go when I die because I would hate to see my collection dumped without any knowledge of them.

11. Cool auctions!

I feel compelled to mention that eBay is safe marketplace to purchase second-hand dolls if you take the right precautions:

Search used items instead of all or new
      Add "-recast" to your search
      Avoid any listings which stipulate a "production time"
      Avoid listings with multiple quantities available
      Evaluate the seller account, what other items are they selling? Is it screaming aliexpress? Avoid it.
      Ask questions before buying
      Use common sense! If that doll was never released in that skin tone, it's obviously not authentic. Or if that particular sculpt isn't known to have been recasted, chances are that it's safe.
      Remember that not all dolls originally came with CoAs and some owners don't keep boxes to save space.

And lastly, the gold rule:

IF THE PRICE IS TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE, IT PROBABLY IS.

12. Yeah I saw that exact Seattle Washington Goodwill listing. I scrolled through all the offerings but personally none of the listings tempted me except the bundle with all the shoes but at the time the bid was already at $300.

13. I won the Dollmore Trinity Elysia and the Souldoll Hye from their listings. I’m local so I went to pick them up today. I asked the girl working there if they had any more information as to where they came from. She didn’t know, but they had all arrived thrown into large boxes. I almost had a heart attack when she brought the Trinity out shoved in a plastic bag.

14. @hannaliten I will admit, I bid on a few of the less popular dolls but didn't go the whole mile to get them. I'm really curious about their condition. Did they have any chips or uneven yellowing, if you don't mind me asking?

15. The Trinity had a chip in her foot and I was issued a partial refund on the spot after noticing it, since I still wanted to keep her. Hye had no issues other than yellowing, but I’d expect that for an older doll.

16. Lucky! I was watching all these like a hawk and bid on several( a couple of the bjds and a few antique) but got outbid on all of them at the last minute

17. So, I had heard something about Goodwill listing dolls, but not originally on this forum.

First, I want to say: from what I know from donating myself and from working at a retirement home/skilled nursing facility in the past, people who just "give away" items of large monetary value like these dolls can usually request itemized donation receipts from the stores/organizations they donate to that will help them during tax time. This will help them get deductions that will net them much larger tax returns. If you are only donating a few bags of clothes from Forever 21 or a few bucks here and there every year, claiming your donations on your taxes is probably more of a hassle than it's worth, but for others it can really be a big boost.

So anyway, I went to check into it, but missed the original batch of dolls. That's no matter, because I took my chance on something that caught my eye as maybe the perfect thing for me. One of the listings for SD dolls had the token Fairyland/Cerberus Project/Old Luts key head system! I've been in love with these doll body styles lately. So I took a chance... and she is an old Feeple70 Rona with original faceup a partial set of her original clothing. :aeyepop: There is some dirt on her face that I may be able to wash off, and the worst part is maybe some light, light buffing marks to her right shin where a stain may have been removed. But she looks good, and she survived shipping.

And I feel myself honored and humbled to have gotten this doll from the original owner, and I hope they are ok with the circumstances of the doll's sale. I usually like to give my dolls their own faceup with time, but this is one I probably will keep original. She's still pretty perfect.

18. @mephisto I just unboxed my dolls and mixed into the lot is was actually a Fairyland metal plate for a Fairyland Rona. Please message me so that they can be reunited :)

[​IMG]

#38 Arekushia, Feb 26, 2020
      Last edited: Feb 26, 2020
    19. I received Onyx yesterday, she's in remarkable condition, only missing her wrist S hooks, I suspect they were lost before arriving to goodwill. Cleaned a few scuffs too.