1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Doll In Mind - LOVE - Discussion II

Apr 30, 2022

1. Yes I agree, it’s so nice to see DIM discussion with more activity, especially the Love size :XD: Are you going to do another kimono for Lloyd :chibi

I found these acrylic pattern making tools on Etsy I’m thinking about getting. Acrylic Pattern Making Tool for Making Doll Clothes Mini - Etsy

They’re a little pricey, would you happen to know if there is a cheaper place to get tools like these? I don’t have a printer and I’d like to avoid printing patterns out anyway. I want to get into hand sewing a simple blouse :XD:

2. Yes I'll make him another at least as the next outfit. I like making them, they are so simple and meditative, and I think they look so beautiful for him. :aheartbea

This will make me sound really insane but I personally dont use anything to make my own patterns other than paper or paper towels, pencil to draw, and the doll. I don't even use measurements and I don't have any education for it. :sweat basically, in 2012 I just started by looking at clothes I have and mimicking shapes to sew stuff based on what I saw. You can also get books on drafting that show you the shapes for different stuff and then you will mimic from there. I'm not entirely sure how the thing you showed on Etsy works in practice, because there are lots of different size and proportions of 1/3 doll. One thing you can do of course is base things off any clothes you already have that fit too. Anyway I never meet anyone who says they just draw their patterns freehand and everything so I always feel worried I don't know what to say to help. :pout: but I will always try!

3. yes you kimonos are so pretty and your Lloyd looks so good in them :blush
      Omg that is brilliant :aeyepop: I will do that first, take my own clothes and just observe the patterns. I’m glad i asked here first instead of blowing $40 on something I’ll probably just use once :XD:. Thanks for the tip @AlisonVonderland :D

4. Aw no problem! I really hope it helps. I make most of my patterns, unless it's a highly fitted garment by laying the doll on my paper and drawing around them to get the main form for the body. Also you can make draft patterns with paper towels, you can sew a decent quality paper towel to test what you are making or you can pin together a mock-up with paper towel and have the doll try it on. These things work well for learning to sew simple things as a beginner. Good luck! :D

And thank you! I got a pretty fan print to use for his next one :chibi

5. Hey everyone! How've you been? Hope you and your dolls are having a lovely weekend. I'm Sewing a bit for Sven because he is very spoiled :XD: but I took a picture of him before, and with new eyes I got. They are just a basic old glass from Monique (r.i.p.) but Ugh they look so beautiful for him *_* he has never had eyes this flattering, I'm so happy!

[​IMG]
      IMG 20230511 230735 — Postimages

Would love to see/hear what anyone else has been up to! :hug:

6. These blue eyes look so pretty on him :blush Looks more innocent and shy :chibi what kind of outfit/ style you sewing for him? I haven’t done much with my dolls lately I been busy :sweat I am currently waiting on a body for my BBjorn (decided on 65cm DF-H since it’s supposedly a match to Doll Leaves Pink skin). Im in a planning phase for my Annelise head. I want to get that 68cm girl body- muscle type maybe? I want to make them an androgynous/ ambiguous character like Anima :chibi

7. AlisonVonderland, Sven looks wonderful in those eyes! They really open up his expression. :love

I have two ancient DIM boys. So ancient, in fact, that most collectors probably don’t remember them. I have a Persia, and an R-Asiam. I really wanted to get a DIM Danbi, too. But he got discontinued before I could manage it. :...( I had also contemplated getting a Lloyd. I thought he was so cute with that moody expression. But, I never managed to swing that either. :doh

Here’s my precious Persia. I got him in 2006.
      [​IMG]

A
      nd, here’s my R-Asiam, also purchased in 2006, enjoying Halloween with a few friends.
      [​IMG]

#67 Rabbit-moon, May 20, 2023
      Last edited: May 20, 2023
    8. @Rabbit-moon thanks for sharing your boys :D O I haven’t seen these sculpts forever <3 You got the best of both worlds going on here: the sweet/adorable Persia and then there’s R-Asiam’s wild look and his even wilder friends :XD: I just love the personalities of these older DIM sculpts :chibi

9. Well the doll in mind discussion people remember them @Rabbit-moon :XD: I mean, at least I remember those sculpts! Yours are so beautiful :D waaaahhhhh!
      So nice to see the pictures.

I can relate to wanting more. I'm not normally so greedy and I mean by now I just have Lloyd and the offshoot, Rydel. But every time I see people with others I feel this terrible doll-lust :XD: I genuinely don't even have energy for so many characters and still having floating head woes so it's really silly. That's what the discussion threads are so great for at least. Enjoying without the burden of owning lol. Speaking of which, doll leaves Noir just makes me so crazy I think I have to behead him and let poor lloyd take back that body.

And I forgot to reply @krystina :blush so sorry! I love these eyes too... They actually fit. The bar is so low around here on my budget. But actually as well they are just really nice. I bought several different pairs at factory direct craft recently, old Monique glass for like $11 each and they are really really nice for the cost, especially now that I find it so hard to find 18mm eyes.

I don't know exactly what I'm making for Sven. He already has a whole wardrobe. I just enjoy to continue sewing. He wears some kind of punky visual Kei, romantic goth, ecclectic mish Mash. I just stumble around on their clothes until I figure it out honestly:XD: I guess I've kind of made him a sofa this week though. It's almost done. It's this raspberry satin kind of look and it just seems like he would be responsible for it. I will try to finish it today but I've had trouble on the hand stitching necessary because my fingers are so swollen.

I'm so sorry I talk so much everyone*_*

10. Thank you Krystina! I love these two so much! :aheartbea

The bjd aesthetic was different back then. Now, it seems as if everyone is into hyper-realism and overly exaggerated muscles. Not everyone, of course, but it certainly is a current trend. And you are right, the older DIM sculpts had such personality. :thumbup

Thank you so much AlisonVonderland! I think they are beautiful, too. I look at these older sculpts and I’m taken back in time to a happier place. It was so exciting back then! (Not to mention the euphoria of your first whiff of new resin! :drool;))

Honestly, lately, the only 1/3 dolls I want are the old dolls that I missed out on back in the day. So, yes, I’d get real “greedy” if I could lay my hands on a DIM Danbi, or a Lloyd. An old CP/Lut Shiwoo would be nice, too. :wiggle

YAY! Lloyd deserves a body. (For old times sake :aheartbea).

11. @AlisonVonderland Lol Sven got so many options and he looks good in all styles :D I did see his sofa on your IG- I can’t wait to see it done with him lounging on it like the boss he is :chibi

@Rabbit-moon you said it best :cool: And I agree - I think I’m where you are too. As much as I like the new dolls and companies making them, I feel like I want the older sculpts more because of those early doll days:XD:

12. Haha thank you @krystina ! Maybe it will be done today. I've had a really hard time finishing the pillows because of the swelling in my hands (that I always have now, hand sewing is really really hard :() but the dolls will look awesome on it.
      Yeah I'm also team nostalgia. It's for a few reasons. I really actively dislike a bunch of current aesthetics, or at best feel really uninterested in them. It started a long time ago, while minifee were snowballing. (I absolutely hate them lol) and from there it just seemed more and more like I felt alienated more than having things in common with what others like about bjd.
      But being honest my life is also so terrible. And I'm not sure how/if I can fix it. And I look at the old dolls and think back on when I didn't feel this way.
      So it's just been really nice to find this cozy little thread where we relate to each other more!

13. @AlisonVonderland o dang- I hope your hands feel better! The way you feel about mini fees is how I kind of feel about Peakswoods :XD: I was collecting them for awhile and actually had 6 at one point before rehoming all but one. I love Peakswoods but felt like I was collecting them for the sake of collecting and not enjoying them. I thought maybe I just need a change of style and now I feel like DIM is bringing me back to what I originally enjoyed about collecting dolls. Aww I hope whatever you are dealing with now gets better :( I don’t know what I can say to help you but I believe you will find a way to fix whatever is ailing you. For the small amount of time I’ve known you, I can see how creative and resourceful you are and I’ve always believed creative people find/see things better than most. That is my funny way of thinking anyway :sweat

14. Aw :hug: bleh you know it brings me down so much to have popular doll aesthetics that I truly viscerally hate. And I plan not to speak of it further. Especially because I don't care what anyone else enjoys and definitely don't want to take the wind out of their sails, but feeling yuck was definitely not why I wanted to be in the hobby :XD:

I really like Peakswoods but I think I gave up ever owning one. I had a segi head years ago... Should have kept her! I was too broke to make the head sale last year and that really broke my heart.

I have a very unhealthy urge to collect more doll in mind just because. I can't even take good care of Lloyd! (Maybe I am too hard on myself) I wish we could have an irl doll in mind meet. I would probably cry with joy and you would have to slap my little hands off your pretty dolls because I get too excited!

In all honesty my hands are not going to get better any time soon. Not sure anything ailing me will. I've spend a lot on mobility aids recently. This is my situation so I'm just trying to make the most of every day within my means. Sometimes there is just not going to be a fix for things and I know that's often a scary and avoided topic, but we keep getting up in the morning and finding something new to try to focus on. So don't worry. ;) I appreciate you saying I am resourceful, and I am! I'm just also really tired lol.

I think I will show here a photo of Lloyd soon Because I'm making some ridiculous outfit that will be either really cool or just very wacky on him :XD:

15. Lol! Peakswoods Segi is such a cute sculpt. Good thing she’s not retired if you ever want to try putting her together again :chibiI still love Peakswoods but I prefer now to just look at owner pics. I met the sisters behind Peakswoods at the Pacific Northwest BJD meetup- they are the kindest, loveliest ladies :blush Uhhh you do too take care of Lloyd- he’s always dressed better than me :XD: I think I might be heading to just collecting DIMs too- possibly Maskcatdoll if I cannot get any of the DIM girl sculpts. I don’t know why but I been really drawn to them lately- I really do like the aesthetics and their style seems very consistent. I would love to do a DIM doll meet someday. :D Heh, you can totally hold and play with my dolls all you want as long as you let me dress them up in your kimonos so I can take pictures :XD: Well, I hope you feel better and yes drop a Lloyd pic :chibi

16. Healing light and love to you AlisonVonderland. :aangel: :aheartbea

I think that is why I’m so nostalgic for the older sculpts. The older dolls aren’t just a possession, they are a glimpse into happier times, and it takes me out of my dark place. During the pandemic, and the quarantine, playing with these old dolls always gave me relief from my stress and anxiety. I love the old aesthetic; it gives me comfort. The new realism just leaves me oddly cold. Who knows? Maybe, I’m just getting old. (*shrugs*:roll:)

Peakswoods Segi is my favorite Peakswoods sculpt. I always wanted one, but it just never happened. Vampire Goldie was cute, too.

Just to stay on-topic, here’s another pix of my Persia, without his glasses. Just looking at him gives me a smile. :D

[​IMG]

#76 Rabbit-moon, May 22, 2023
      Last edited: May 22, 2023
    17. Yes I agree- having these dolls helped alleviate some of the stress and loneliness during the shutdown :3nodding: I was certainly thankful I had mine :D. Your Persia also makes me smile- ahh such a cute face :whee: I just love his big eyes full of wonder :chibi I can’t wait to get my BBjorn on here with his new body and hopefully a new faceup

18. Oh WOW! You have a BBjorn? That's awesome! Oh please post photos of him when he is completed. He was such a beautiful sculpt. :love

19. @Rabbit-moon yes I got lucky I got him thru here :D I have a few pics here I believe he has a company faceup- the eyebrows look similar to your boys. I will probably replace because it’s pretty worn (plus I want to see him in a new style :chibi)

20. Krystina, thanks for the link!

Just like I said, Bbjorn is a beautiful boy! So happy to see him! :love

Here’s another one that got away…a DIM Arno. After all this time I had forgotten about him, but was reminded how much I had liked him when I ran across this picture. Isn’t he a cutie? :D

[​IMG]

#80 Rabbit-moon, May 24, 2023
      Last edited: May 24, 2023