1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Soom Super Gem Discussion (Basic, Limited & Special Order) - Part 13

Jan 4, 2022

1. Definitely curious about whether they've reduced the head size on the newer girls. My Onyx girls already have very small heads, but Soom has always given their dolls massive craniums so maybe the changes are less about facial proportions and more about overall head height?

Speaking of the old glamazon body, I'm finally getting around to some new headshots now that a lot of my older dolls have new face-ups. I've had Delphine since 2008 but I feel like this is the first time she's really looked "finished." :whee:
      [​IMG]

-------

Soom website: the SOOM emporium

Previous discussion threads:
      * Part 7
      * Part 8
      * Part 9
      * Part 10
      * Part 11
      * Part 12

DoA Wiki page: Soom
      DoA database:
      * A-H: https://denofangels.com/threads/205968/page-2#post-7732665
      * I-Z: https://denofangels.com/threads/205968/page-2#post-7732667

2. Is it not the same sculpt but with a different faceup? Or do you mean different as in the possible head shrinking?

3. @Littlebirdzoom Well they might have changed the eyes or lips or ears slightly? Honestly I can't tell with face sculpts - I rely on face ups a lot which might not be good in this hobby haha. Plus when they change the release name sometimes they change parts of the sculpt? Or I could be crazy haha

4. Funny, I like her much more than the last release, because the last release styled her like a vacant eyed, feminine Heliot, which I didn't like at all. This release makes her look much more to my taste (although I do not like that face up, at all). I spent all my Soom points to order her with her outfit and eyes. Hopefully I can find a deep purple wig to go with it.

5. @Layn I got her without a face-up and I didn't order her clothes. Basically I got her blank but her promo photos sold me on how stern she could look. I needed a serious, mature looking female elf and she fit the bill (considering that the other molds I was interested in were all older discontinued sculpts that never came up on the marketplace). So I am just trying to see how this girl looks without the sad eyebrows.

6. just personal observation. When they first rereleased older heads on the newer body the proportions looked a little off to me. It was also something I noticed in the pictures of a few MP threads selling older heads on newer bodies. It could just be camera angles, staging, and how the dolls were wigged/dressed, but I noticed it a few times and in pictures taken by different people at different times. The more recent releases haven't looked as off to me. Could be something as simple as they changed their photographer or they've gotten more mindful of angles and such in company photos (more speculation on my part)

7. I think the main difference is that the newer SGs necks are a bit shorter and thicker, plus the shoulders wider on the newer body, making the heads appear smaller. My Migma is from the Alice release (newer body), and her insides are just as wonky as from older releases I've seen - and the same goes for my Dia.

8. The new heads are much smaller, for men and women sculpts. I have had original and new release versions of Breccia and Phonolus and in both cases the heads were smaller (specifically the backs of the heads though the faces were smaller too).

9. They added little videos to show the blank heads - that was nice! I have the feeling she is the same as the one I have so she's going to be a pass for me. I do like her outfit but it's a little too lolita for my gals.

10. To each their own! It's perfect for my girls, plus with Soom's aesthetic drifting farther and farther away from my preferences... if they release an Ignim, a Breccia, and a Gneiss in the next year, along with my desperately wanted second bronze Vesuvia so I can have one with a scorpion body and one with a human body, I'll buy all of them, but the odds of that happening are so slim... it might never happen, let alone soon. So I'm spending all my Soom points now, on a doll that, while she wasn't on my wishlist, I at least like!

I personally hate wearing frilly, intricate clothing because the frills itch, no matter what, and end up wearing more structured, modern clothing. My dolls are my excuse to dress people/things in the clothes I'd wear myself if they weren't uncomfortable.

11. @Layn Oh she is gorgeous - I just don't need 2. XD My Witch aka Varda is perfectly happy being the Queen of my Elf Kingdom and she doesn't want a sister haha! Ooooh those girls were very pretty. Maybe someday it will happen?

I agree! Frilly, lacey things can be itchy! I love the constellation fabric - it's the headband that gets me. I know, I know, I don't have to put it on my dolls but I'd rather the whole set be bought by someone who will enjoy all of it as opposed to me being a star printed outfit hoarder.

12. Has there any discussion on Soom's 20th anniversary releases? There are 3 rereleases lined up for it and the first one in February will be a Super Gem! SOOM 20th Anniversary Event - The Gem
      [​IMG]

From the thumbnails, who do you think they are? 3rd one's Glot and Glati, but I can't quite figure out the rest.

UPDATE:
      The great mystery has been solved! That was really fun!
      Credits to @meanae for finding pictures #1 & #2 :)

#1 Heliot
      [​IMG]
      #2 Beryl
      [​IMG]
      #3 Glot & Glati
      [​IMG]

13. I think that the second one is Beryl. :D I am hoping it is Beryl. I think we need a purple Beryl. :aheartbea

Any guesses for the first one?

14. Would love to see a Beryl re-release as well!
      My take on the 2nd thumbnail would be mini gem Uyoo though. Wished I could find an exact match of the thumbnail but Uyoo's page seem to be gone already. :huh?: Not sure if she is part of the Legend Collection also.

Keep the guesses coming in fellow Soom addicts!:lol:
      [​IMG]

15. "Best selling super gem"... so, yet another Sard?

16. I'd be weak to a Sard so hopefully no (or so my wallet says) to better resist temptations that just seem to dog-pile me.

17. Ooooh if it was an Uyoo, I would be tempted. She looks fierce AND fun!

18. That would be me with another Heliot.
      The very *LAST THING* I need over here is another Heliot.

And yet... :lol:

19. @Brightfires See, there's need and then there's want. None of us needs another BJD. However, a great many of us want another BJD. Or at least that's what Rational Brain keeps telling Dolly Brain but Dolly Brain is all lol, whatever, have you seen this gorgeous new doll released by....